Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
[Reviews - 80] Printer
Summary:

 Brian is a detective with the New York City police department. He gets a case concerning a wealthy art patron who has been murdered in his home. The last person seen with the man is a young artist named Justin Taylor. Taylor has disappeared and is suspected of being the killer. Brian must try and find the young man and bring him back to justice but things become complicated when he discovers that someone else is hunting young Taylor and they seem to want him dead. What happens when the hunted and the hunter finally meet and an instant attraction develops?


Rated: NC-18
Categories: QAF-U.S. FICTION, Alternate Universe, Brian/Justin, Hurt/Comfort, Minor Character Death, Romance, Unsafe Sex, Violence Characters: Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes
Word count: 40791 Read: 38963
Published: February 15, 2009 Updated: January 15, 2011
Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  I do not own the characters from Queer as Folk.  I only use them for entertainment purposes.  Any resemblence to actual people or places is strictly coincidental.  I receive no monetary benefit for my story.  Thank you.

1. A Shot in a Darkened Room by mandagrammy [Reviews - 12] (3404 words)

Hello, my dear friends. Well, I thought it was about time to give you a brand new story to check out. I want to dedicate this one to my dear friend and reader, Sunny, who sent me the suggestion that I try a story based loosely on the old Marilyn Monroe movie, 'Some Like It Hot'. I found the idea intriguing so I thought I'd give it a try. I hope you will enjoy it.  I also owe a debt of gratitude to my beta Pat and my beloved Granddaughter Amy for the very cool banner. Any comments will always be welcome by me. So without further ado, let the story begin.

2. Detective Kinney on the Job by mandagrammy [Reviews - 7] (3160 words)

Finally got the second chapter ready to go. Sorry for the delay but the one thing about period pieces is the time it takes up in researching the times you're writing about. Oh well, at least I'm learning new things all the time this way. LOL! Anyway, I hope you will enjoy the beginning of Justin/Justina's struggles to escape detection and prove his innocence with the relentless Detective Kinney about to be on his trail.

3. The Masquerade Begins by mandagrammy [Reviews - 8] (2736 words)

Justin is finally ready to make a run for it, thanks to his friend Daphne. Now all he has to do is convince an entire train load of people, and Debbie's all girl orchestra, that he is just one of the 'girls'. In the meantime, Detective Kinney gets a clue as to where to hunt for the young fugitive. I hope you will enjoy the chapter. I owe a big debt of gratitude to my friend Sunny for catching a mistake I almost made with Justin's phony name. Thanks Sunny.

4. Two Ships Passing in the Night by mandagrammy [Reviews - 6] (2438 words)

At last, I have this story moving along again. I am so sorry for the long delay in updating our mystery. I can promise no further delays barring a catastrophe in the future. Thank you for your patience with me. Things are running smoothly again and your support has been invaluable to me and my family. Now on to the story. In this chapter, Detective Kinney is following up on the clue he discovered at Daphne's house which he hopes will lead to his murder suspect, young Justin Taylor. Are their paths about to cross? Read on and get a clue as a mysterious stranger also enters the picture. Many thanks to my new and beloved beta, Judy, and my wonderful banner maker Amy for their great help with my stories.

5. A Lovely Face in the Crowd by mandagrammy [Reviews - 8] (2711 words)

They say that riding on the train is the slowest way to travel. Maybe that is why it takes me so long to get out each new update on this story. LOL! Seriously, I hope you will find the wait worth it with this chapter. We finally get to see a first meeting with our favorite boys...sort of. But this is just the beginning folks. Huge thank you's are due my beta Judy and my darling Amy for the banner. Enjoy.

6. The Search is Still On by mandagrammy [Reviews - 3] (2212 words)

Sorry for the delay, my friends. I had written this chapter set in Chicago on a layover stop, but was totally dissatisfied with how it came out. If I didn't like it, I was afraid you might not either so I had to scrap the idea I had and start all over. I hope you like this version. It is simply a bit more background on our mysterious Johan, with a little Brian thrown in for good measure. I promise some action is coming up next. Thanks for the patience.

P.S. As some of you may know my beta, Judy, is on the beginning of her great adventure and thus unavailable for beta help so please forgive any goofs in this unbeta'd chapter. I didn't want to make you wait any longer.

7. The Eyes of Truth by mandagrammy [Reviews - 6] (3033 words)

Whew! This was my first time to suffer the dreaded writer's block and I had a devil of a time with this chapter but after several re-writes I think I have something that sounds plausible for my beloved readers. I hope you will enjoy the Ah-ha moment as Justin's disguise unravels. Many thanks to Judy for her invaluable help as beta and Amy for my banner.

8. An Ally, At Last by mandagrammy [Reviews - 6] (3877 words)

At last, Brian and Justin meet, and not just in passing. And what a lucky meet it proves to be for the young artist as things come to a head. But now where will all this lead? Will it save Justin from the evil Johan? We'll soon know. Many thanks to Judy, my wonderful beta, and Amy, my banner maker.

9. Finally Arriving in More Ways than One by mandagrammy [Reviews - 3] (2475 words)

To my dear readers...I must apologize for the extremely long delay in continuing this story for you.  First I hit a writer's block with the story for the first time since I started writing.  Then it was topped off by a lot of turmoil in my home life.  I hope you will forgive me and find the rest of this story worth reading.  I made a promise in the beginning of my career to never leave a story unfinished and I try to always keep my promises. 

 A quick synopsis for those who have lost track of events in the story because of the delay.  It is the 1930's.  Justin is a talented young artist who had the misfortune of witnessing the murder of his patron, and to complicate things the police believe he is the culprit.  His friend, Daphne, has helped him to escape the long arm of the law in hopes of the police finding the real murderer, although he has no idea who it is himself.  He has taken on the disguise of a female singer and joined an all female orchestra led by Miss Debbie.  They are on their way by train to Hollywood to be in a movie musical.  Detective Brian Kinney has figured out that Justin could be on that train and has been looking for him for days, although he has not seen through Justin's disguise yet.  Just before reaching their destination, the real murderer, who has an inside source with the police, has also followed Justin on the train and wishes to kill the only witness to his crime (not knowing that Justin can't identify him except for a distinct finger malformation).  He finally gets the chance to kill the young man, but Justin is saved by Detective Kinney.  Justin tells the Detective the full story of his involvement in the murder and is miraculously believed.  The two men now set out to entrap the unknown killer if they can before Brian is forced to return Justin to New York City.  They arrive in Hollywood and must now put their plans and hopes into action.  But they soon find that they have more in common than the desire to see justice done. 

 Again, thank you for your patience.  I hope the wait will be worth it.

 

10. Figuring Some Things Out by mandagrammy [Reviews - 3] (2551 words)

On their first night in Hollywood, Brian and Justin get together in order to figure out their problem of capturing the real killer before he can get to Justin.  Before they can work on those details, the two men figure something else out...something totally unexpected. 

11. Some of the Mystery Unraveling by mandagrammy [Reviews - 2] (1998 words)

While Brian and Justin have been getting closer to each other emotionally and physically...and at the same time trying to figure out a way to draw out the mysterious gunman...Carl and the New York City cops have been doing their job too.  Their investigation has revealed a great many surprises that will go a long way in helping Brian once he gets a welcome package from home. 

12. A Eureka Moment! by mandagrammy [Reviews - 6] (2262 words)

This crime is being solved about as fast as they are in real life, and again I must apologize for the long delay.  But as I promised, I will never abandon it, so on we go.  Time is running out for Brian and Justin.  Either they capture the real killer soon or they will have to live with the alternatives, none of which are attractive.  As they share another night of passion, along with some post-coital conversation, Justin suddenly has a Eureka moment.  Maybe, just maybe, they have found a solution to one of their biggest problems.

13. The Trap is Set by mandagrammy [Reviews - 3] (3291 words)

Brian and Justin have set their trap for Vanderbeke's killer, and now all they need to do is wait for the bait to be swallowed.  They spend one last night feeling the anxiety over their future, but doing what they do best to relieve the tension. 

14. The Trap Is Sprung by mandagrammy [Reviews - 7] (4643 words)

I am so pleased to announce that I kept my promise to my beloved readers and now present you with the conclusion of this story.  I hope you will enjoy it as Brian and Justin face their enemy in a mortal combat for their futures.  I want to thank every single person who has stuck with me despite the long delays in getting this to you.  I am more grateful than I can express.  Much love to you all.