Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Endings and Beginnings

Chapter 9


Emmett and Ted were sitting across from each other in the little Italian place that they had come to love.


“I’m going to hate myself for eating the lasagna when I try to get into my purple pants tonight.” Ted smiled across the table at his friend. No matter what they had been through over the years as off again on again lovers he would always believe Emmett to be his very best friend in the world. Emmett glanced up from his food noticing the other man’s scrutiny.


“What?” He asked. “Do I have red sauce all over my face?” Emmett reached for a napkin. Ted smiled and reached across the table to take his friend’s hand.


“No. I was just thinking how special you are to me.” This brought a smile to Emmett’s face.


“You’re special to me too Teddy. What brought this on?” He asked risking another bite of his fattening entrée.


“I was, well-- I have been thinking a lot about Ethan and Justin. It makes you think you know?” He looked up.


“Think about what?” Emmett wondered.


“Life and how we think we have forever but we don’t. What if I died today?” He ventured.


Emmett gasped and clasped his chest. “Don’t say that. Now throw some salt over your shoulder or something. Take it back.” Ted reluctantly grabbed some salt and threw it into the hair of the man sitting in the booth behind them earning him a very dirty look. He apologized before turning back to Emmett.


“Would you know how much I care for you if I died today?” His eyes were so intense Emmett paused to consider his words.


“Yes. I think I would.” He replied thoughtfully.


“Good.” Ted smiled and returned to his food. He didn’t seem to notice that Emmett’s gaze remained upon him for a long moment. He had never really considered not having Ted in his life. They had had minor battles over the years but had always worked things out fairly quickly. He would be so lost without Ted’s friendship. He reached over and took Ted’s hand and waited for the man to look up.


“Marry me Ted.” The question hung there as the waiter walked up to check on their food. Ted felt a wave of excitement and anxiety race through him. They had tried the relationship thing off and on and always it was a disaster.


“I don’t think that would be a good idea.” He offered wondering if perhaps his friend was just caught up in the moment.


“Why?” Emmett asked a little offended by his rejection.


“We’ve tried to be a couple Emmett and it has always ended badly. We are better as friends.” He squeezed Emmett’s hand hoping to convey his deep feelings for the other man. He cared too much to risk hurting what they already had.


“What’s wrong with being married to your friend? What’s wrong with that? So we don’t have some hot and heavy honeymoon relationship. I could be happy with a friend to come home to, to hold me when I’ve had a bad day, to go out with me and have a good time. Who said it has to be hot sex and insatiable desire?” Emmett asked never even truly considered it himself.


Ted sat considering. He loved spending time with Emmett. It was by far his favorite past time. They did work well together and had mutual love and respect for each other. Maybe they could be partners in life without all the physical heat. He wanted to think about that. Something about what Emmett had said felt very right but then again something else had felt very wrong.


“I think we need to think about that.” Ted answered honestly. Emmett raised his eyebrows.


“You’re not saying no?” He asked. Ted shook his head as he took a sip from his water glass.


“I’m saying let’s talk about it some more. I think part of it makes perfect sense but something about it seems…well…..sad.” Ted shook his head not sure he had used the right word.


“What like you’re settling?” Emmett asked.


“Yeah that’s it, but that we both are. Like we are admitting that there isn’t a perfect person out there so we will just take what is comfortable.” Emmett nodded he hadn’t thought about that before.


“Ok so we’ll think about it. Maybe we should try it out for a while.” Emmett suggested. Ted wrinkled his brow and cocked his head to one side.


“What do you suggest?” He asked.


“Well maybe we should move in together again for a while and see how it goes. “ Emmett offered. Ted nodded.


“Let’s sit on this for a week and decide then ok? Can we do that?” Emmett nodded and lifted his water glass.


“To thinking it over.” Ted raised his as well.


“To thinking it over.” They both drank smiling at one another.


**********************************


Lindsay found herself standing in front of Jennifer Taylor’s condo. She forced herself to put the woman’s opinions aside for the moment. She was here to help Justin and Stephen. Telling herself that made it much easier to ring the bell. A moment later a perfectly coiffed Jennifer answered. Lindsay pasted a smile on her face as she felt Gus shift from one foot to the other.


“Jennifer.” She offered.


“Lindsay I can’t thank you enough for coming over. Gus you have really grown. I didn’t get to see you when you were over the other day. You are really shooting up.” She opened the door further and gestured for them to enter. “I hope you like chocolate chip cookies.” She offered.


Gus’ smile spread over his face as he nodded enthusiastically.


“Good I made some just for you. They are in the kitchen on a plate and I also put out a glass of milk. Are you in school now?” She asked.


“Kinnergarden.” He replied making his way behind her, then up the stairs and into the kitchen. The two women quickly followed catching up in time to watch as he pulled out a chair and began inhaling cookies and milk.


“Thank you for doing that. He is always so hungry when I pick him up and I forgot to bring him a snack.” Lindsay smiled. It was obvious to her where Justin had gotten his consideration and manners. No matter what Jennifer thought of Brian she wasn’t the evil person that Lindsay wanted her to be. She was a mother trying to move heaven and earth to help her son recover from a devastating loss.


“You’re so welcome. I remember Justin was the same way. “She laughed remembering. “He certainly looks like his Father.”


“Justin?” Lindsay asked. She couldn’t remember ever seeing the man not even at the sentencing following the bashing. She had never even thought about his absence.


“No. Gus. He looks so much like Brian. I’m afraid you will have the girls ringing your phone off in a few years.” They made their way into the living room.


“Did you have that with Justin?” Lindsay wondered.


“As a matter of fact I did. It stopped his senior year but before then it seemed there was always a few girls with homework questions that only Justin could answer. “ She sighed. She wondered if it had felt odd to Justin to have so many girls pursuing him. Had he even noticed? She had even noticed that Daphne at one point had a crush on him until he had finally declared to the world that he wasn’t interested in girls. Lindsay watched a sadness slowly cross Jennifer’s face.


“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to pry.” Lindsay apologized.


“No it isn’t that. I was just thinking about Justin’s senior year. It was a tough one for him and for our family. I am not sure any of us have ever really recovered.” She shook her head.


“Do you blame Brian for that?” Lindsay wished she could take the words back as soon as she had said them.


“I use to.” Jennifer admitted. “I still think he was wrong to have been with Justin when my son was still so young, but Justin is a determined young man and always has been. If it hadn’t been Brian it would have been someone else. Maybe it would have been someone who wasn’t as careful was Brian. I’m grateful for that. Emotionally the relationship was hard on Justin but I know he was never physically abused or harmed.” She ended weakly.


“Brian isn’t violent.” Lindsay defended.


“Oh I didn’t mean to imply that. It was just hard to see Justin turning himself inside out to be whatever it was he thought Brian wanted. I don’t want him doing that again.” She met Lindsay’s eyes. “But let’s not talk about this. I don’t want to argue. I really need your help. It may be that down the road we both agree about Brian but right now I just don’t think we can.” Lindsay had to admire her honesty another quality she had passed on to her son.


“Justin is a wonderful man.” Lindsay stated. “He got a lot of his good qualities from you.” Jennifer felt a blush come up in her cheeks.


“Mom” Gus’ voice took them both by surprise. “Where’s Stephen?” He asked.


“He will be here tomorrow at the latest.” Jennifer smiled. “Can you help us get things ready for him?” Gus nodded enthusiastically. “Want to see what I did with his room?” She asked. They all rose and went into what had been the guest room.


“Oh Jennifer it is wonderful.” Lindsay smiled and felt a lump rise in her throat. It was what she would have done for Gus if he was facing the hardest days of his life. Turning back she offered. “There is a painting that will be in the show tomorrow. I saw it and thought of Justin. Would you mind if I bought it and brought it to add?” She asked.


Jennifer’s smile widened. “I’d love for you to. I’m afraid my artistic tastes are slightly different from my son’s so it is hard for me to know what he would like. I’m sure you would know better than I would.”


“We did visit a few times while he was in New York. He and I would always work in a gallery or two. He has a real eye.” She said admiringly.


The three of them went through the house from top to bottom after that. Gus was a huge help finding things that would have been dangerous to Stephen. Once they finished Jennifer hugged Lindsay and thanked her profusely.


“I’m so glad I could help.” She smiled back. “We’d better get going.”


“Wait.” Jennifer called and headed back into the kitchen. She returned with a little tin with toy soldiers on the front of it. “I thought you might want to take some cookies home for your other Mommy. “ She handed the tin to Gus without looking at Lindsay.


“Those will never make it home.” Lindsay joked. “But thank you for the effort.” Their eyes met for a moment.


“Mother’s of sons need each other Lindsay. Thanks for helping me.” They exchanged a knowing look then Lindsay and Gus made their way outside with a promise from Jennifer to let the little boy know as soon as Stephen was there.


She watched Lindsay’s car disappear before turning back into her home to finish up the few tasks left undone. She wanted everything to be perfect when they arrived. She couldn’t imagine how hard the last few days had been for her son. He was saying goodbye to the home that he had shared with Ethan, she wanted to make him feel at home with her. She couldn’t take his pain away but she could certainly do her part to ease it as much as possible.


**********************************


Brian had been both relieved and disappointed that both of the Taylor men had decided to spend most of their trip back to the Pitts asleep. He had looked forward to having some time with Justin before leaving him at his mother’s home. As he saw their exit coming up he realized that Justin was now awake. He glanced over and noticed the young man staring sadly straight ahead.


“Hey.” Brian offered. “You could have just said you didn’t want to drive.” He said sarcastically. He watched as Justin turned not sure if Brian was joking or not.


“Sorry.” He was suddenly feeling insecure. He felt like he had just lost his anchor. He was adrift now. He wasn’t really looking forward to being at his mom’s. He loved her, but he didn’t love her hovering over him. He needed time to sort things out without her trying to anticipate his needs. Hell he didn’t know what he needed how could she know. Looking over at Brian again he smirked causing the man to glance back.


“You laughing at me now?” Brian asked deadpan.


“No not at you. It’s just amazing that I haven’t seen you in three years and yet you seemed to know everything I needed without me even asking you. It’s weird that’s all.” Justin turned back not really wanting to have this conversation. He was feeling unsure and out of balance. He knew he use to lash out at Ethan when he felt like this. The last thing he wanted was to say something hurtful.


“Because I was so oblivious before?” Brian asked plunging in where Justin had feared to tread.


Justin sighed. “Can we not do this right now?” He sounded so tired Brian chose to honor his request and drop the matter for the moment, but he was determined that they would have this conversation eventually. It was important that they sort out all that went wrong before they could hope to make it work again. He stole a quick glance at Justin wondering once more if he would ever get that chance again. Justin turned around to check Stephen in the backseat.


“Has he been asleep this whole time?” He asked. Brian nodded. “Shit he’ll be up all night.” He sighed. It was a good thing that the next day was Saturday. He would have a couple of days to get a resume and portfolio together before hitting the streets. He had to find a job. He wondered for a moment what he could possibly be qualified to do.


“Is it this one or the next one?” Brian asked. “I always choose the wrong one.” He complained.


“It’s this one then left at the light.” Justin directed. He reached back and gently rubbed Stephen’s cheek. “Stephen. Sweetie.” He softly called as the child began opening his eyes. Brian could see his face in the rearview mirror. It always surprised him when he looked at the boy how much he favored Justin. Two blue eyes opened and were filled with confusion until they locked onto Justin.


“Hey baby. You awake?” The little boy nodded reaching for his dad as he began to fuss. “We’re almost to Grandma’s. You hungry?” He asked.


“Juice.” The little boy called. “Juice.” Justin smiled.


“Ok just as soon as we get there ok? Can you wait a minute or two?” The little boy seemed happy enough as long as his Father continued to speak to him. Justin felt the vehicle rock as they pulled into the driveway. Looking around he saw his Mother and Molly race out of the house.


“Justin.” Jennifer made her way over to his door. Molly was already reaching for Stephen in the backseat. Stephen recognizing his aunt and began jumping as much as humanly possible in his car seat. Molly worked until he finally got the latch to release. He sprang into her arms.


“I’ve missed you so much.” Molly said in her best baby talk.


“Hi Mom.” Justin hugged his Mother. “Thanks Molly.” He looked so tired. Molly quickly glanced at her Mother who just smiled falsely and asked her to take Stephen into the house.


“He wants some juice.” Justin hollered behind them.


“Get a –“ Jennifer began.


“I know how to get juice.” Molly grumped irritated that her mother would think she would need to explain something so elementary.


Jennifer and Justin exchanged a look and smiled at one another as she pulled him into another longer embrace.


“You look tired.” She offered.


“It was tough, but it’s over.” He sighed. She knew that was more than likely all she would ever know about his experience of leaving his life in New York. Brian had made his way to the back of the SUV and was pulling out boxes.


“Is this it?” Jennifer asked.


“Yeah but only these are mine. Those are Brian’s.” He pointed to a pile of sketches and paintings.” Jennifer looked up at Brian. He looked exhausted as well.


“Why don’t you go on in I can bring this all in.” Brian replied.


“You’ve helped me so much already Brian. I can help. I want to.” Justin grabbed the closest box.


“Are you guys hungry?” Jennifer asked.


“I’m not.” Justin replied as he started up the walk and into the house.


“How about you Brian? Can I make you something to eat?” She asked and suddenly found herself in tears. Brian lowered the box and stood unsure of what to do for a moment. He finally reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder. “He looks so sad.” She looked up.


“That’s because he is.” Brian voice was hoarse and she realized he too was trying to hold it together for Justin. “It was rough. I don’t know how he is still going. He slept most of the way here and so did Stephen so it might be a long night.” Jennifer nodded watching the front of the house to see if Justin had returned yet.


“Thank you for doing this for him. I’m sure it really helped.” She smiled. Brian merely nodded as he picked up the box he had laid on the drive way.


“I care Jennifer.” He walked past her and met Justin coming back out.


“Just set them in the living room. I’ll move them into the guest room later.” Justin stated.


“Have you seen the guest room?” She asked as he retrieved another box. Justin shook his head.


“Why did you lose it?” He tried to joke. It was an old family joke when someone asked if someone had seen something. She smiled remembering it as well. Maybe this was a good sign.


“No. I changed it.” She smiled. “I hope you like it. I wanted it to feel like home.” She paused a bit on the word home not sure if she should use it or not.


“Well let’s go take a look.” He said softly hoping he had the energy to be enthusiastic. “Come on Brian.” He motioned. “My Mom redid the guest room for Stephen and I. Come have a look.” Brian followed as they made their way to the guest room Molly was already there with Stephen who was squealing “Mo” with all of his might just in case someone didn’t know who the fuzzy red character was.


“Well Stephen sure loves it.” Brian laughed watching the boy craning his neck trying to take it all in. Justin was quiet as he looked from Stephen’s area to his own.


“Well?” Jennifer asked nervously.


Justin turned and hugged his mother. “It’s beautiful Mom. Thanks.” He had tears in his eyes as he pulled back. Jennifer felt her’s fill as well. She swallowed hard and laughed.


“Lindsay is bringing another painting tomorrow. She saw it at the GLC show and thought you would like it.”


“Lindsay was here?” Brian asked turning to head back for more boxes.


“Yes she came over and brought Gus. They helped me child proof the house. He looks so much like you Brian. It’s remarkable.” Stephen had heard his friend’s name and immediately began chanting.


“Gu Gu Gus Gus” Molly laughed.


“You want to call Gus and tell him you’re here?” She asked.


“Oh Molly I’m glad you said that. I promised I would do just that. Could you call over and maybe even let them talk.” Molly nodded watching Jennifer follow Justin and Brian down to get more of Justin’s things.


*********************************


“So then he took that shirt back into the dressing room. I told him it was too small but you just can’t reason with a fat fag.” Emmett rolled his eyes. “He came out looking like a big pink sausage.” They all laughed at the image. “Then he went to the mirror and looked at himself. He turned to me and asked me what I thought.” Emmett paused knowing how to tell a story.


“Well?” Ted asked looking from Melanie and Lindsay then back to Emmett.


“I said can I get a couple of eggs and some toast with that.” They laughed again. The phone began ringing. Melanie shook her head as she continued her amusement on her way to the phone.


“Hello?” They could hear her from the dining room table.


“No this is Melanie. May I tell her who is calling? Oh hi Molly. Yes yes I will get him. Hold on a second.” Melanie set the phone down and made her way into the living room where the television could be heard.


“Gus telephone.” The adults at the table looked at each other then up at Melanie in confusion. “It’s Stephen.” Lindsay smiled as did the men.


“Justin and Stephen just got in and Molly said Stephen wanted to let Gus know.” There was silence as they listened in on Gus’ conversation. When he finally hung up he made his way back to the living room.


“What did he say Sweetie?” Lindsay asked curiously.


“I don’t know. He’s still hard to understand but he seemed really glad to talk to me. Can I go see him tomorrow?” He asked.


“Sure.” Melanie answered. “Mommy has a picture she wants to give to his Daddy so we can bring it over and you can see him ok?” Gus smiled and nodded.


He turned to go then stopped and turned back to his moms. “Is Stephen’s Papa ever coming back?” He asked.


Melanie and Lindsay exchanged a look before Melanie motioned for Gus to come sit up on her lap. She smiled at him as he settled his head against her shoulder. It was his favorite spot and her’s as well.


“No Gus, Stephen’s Papa was killed and he isn’t coming back.” She said softly.


“Is that why Uncle Justin seems so sad?” He asked continuing to stare at the table.


“Yes Baby that’s why. He misses Ethan. He loved him very much.” Lindsay said softly moving to rub her son’s back.


“Stephen sure is lucky to have a good friend like you to help him through this and make him feel welcome.” Ted offered earning him a smile from Gus and the other adults.


“He sure is and so is Justin. I know he loves you. When you were a baby like Stephen did you know he use to baby sit you.” Emmett said distracting the boy for a moment.


“He did?” He asked looking up at Melanie.


“He sure did. You guys use to color and swing. He was your favorite babysitter. Auntie Em’s right. He’s lucky to have you to help him when he is feeling so sad.” Lindsay smiled gently down at him.


“He’s lucky to have Daddy too. He loves Justin.” Gus said to no one in particular.


The table was silent for a moment. “Out of the mouths of babes.” Ted said as Melanie gave her son a huge hug.


“You ok?” She asked. Gus nodded and slipped from her lap. “You let me know if you want to know anything else okay?” He nodded again and made his way back to the television.


“Brian went to New York to help Justin move back.” Lindsay offered as if providing evidence to support her son’s declaration.


“He did?” Emmett asked surprised. “Wow that was really nice of him.”


“He’s different. “ Ted stated with certainty. “ He’s been different since Justin came into his life. Even the last three years he’s been different. It was like—“


“He was waiting for something to come along but somehow knowing it wouldn’t.” Emmett finished Ted’s thought.


“Well he’d be good and pissed if he knew we were sitting her discussing him. I think we need to just leave him and Justin alone. It will take a long time for Justin to heal and if something happens between them after that then good for them.” Lindsay stated determined to end all the speculation.


“What time does the show open tomorrow?” Melanie asked. Lindsay sighed in frustration. She had only told Melanie a hundred times what time it opened and when it closed and when she would be finished.


“Noon.” She rolled her eyes and gave her partner her best ‘for the last time’ look.


*************************


Justin finally rose, removed his clothes and slid between the cold sheets. He lay there for a long while lost in his memories. He turned on the radio hoping the sound of the music would distract him from his thoughts enough to allow him to fall asleep and escape if only for a few hours.


He listened as the next song started.Concentrating on the words, he found himself silently crying. He’d heard the song before. He and Ethan had been sitting in a theater waiting for a movie to start. They’d both discussed how much they liked it and how sad it was. They had even briefly talked about how hard it would be to go on after losing the person that they loved.


Josh Groban’s voice filled his ears and found a way to swirl into his brain laying a blanket over his raw emotions

Who can say for certain
Maybe you're still here
I feel you all around me
Your memories so clear

Deep in the stillness
I can hear you speak
You're still an inspiration
Can it be
That you are mine
Forever love
And you are watching over me from up above

Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile to know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

Are you gently sleeping
Here inside my dream
And isn't faith believing
All power can't be seen

As my heart holds you
Just one beat away
I cherish all you gave me everyday
'Cause you are mine
Forever love
Watching me from up above

And I believe
That angels breathe
And that love will live on and never leave

Fly me up
To where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile
To know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

I know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are



Somewhere in the midst of the song Justin finally found sleep or maybe it found him. He dreamed of Ethan when they were still living in their old shabby apartment close to Liberty Avenue. Those were sweet and bitter days. Days when Justin had learned that he would have to settle for loving a man who loved him and let go of one who never would. Those were also the days when Ethan had come to terms with the fact that Justin would always love Brian Kinney. He had to accept for the first time in his life that it could be enough for him to play second fiddle as long as first fiddle didn’t show up.


In those early days, they had laughed at their poverty, cherished each other’s art, and dreamed of prosperity that would surely come. How were they to know that the hourglass was emptying so much quicker for one than the other? What would they have done differently had they but known? Justin shifted in his sleep feeling the phantom arms of his lost lover tightening around him. He smiled as he slept realizing that perhaps Ethan was not so far away after all.



(Song: To Where You Are sung by Josh Groban on his album Josh Groban)


***********************


Brian had just gotten back to his loft when the phone rang. He debated about whether or not to let the machine get it but at the last minute decided to pick it up.


“Yeah?” He answered.


“Well that’s a nice way to answer the phone.” Deb groused. Brian knew where Michael got his complaining ability.


“What Deb? I’m beat.” Brian asked wishing now he hadn’t picked up.


“It was a good thing you did for Sunshine. I just wanted to tell you that I am really proud of you. Jennifer called me and told me what you did for him.” Brian noticed the emotion in Deb’s voice.


“It wasn’t anything.” He offered.


“That’s bullshit and you know it. Just accept a fucking compliment ok? You did good kid. I’ll see you at the Diner.” She hung up. Brian smiled. A compliment from Deb he would have to look around now for lions lying with lambs. He didn’t bother to undress. The drive had really worn him out. He was so grateful that tomorrow was Saturday. He collapsed on his bed asleep before his head touched the pillow.


************************


Lindsay had just finished a quick interview of the paper concerning the art show when she spotted Melanie entering the gallery. She smiled at the reporter one last time then made her way over to her partner.


“Hi love.” She kissed Melanie and bent down to tie Gus’ shoe.


“This place looks great.” Melanie observed glancing about the room. She knew Lindsay was talented but was still always amazed at her skill in getting these shows together.


“Thanks.” Lindsay felt a blush at the praise, but it felt good. “There are cookies on the table over there with some punch if you guys want to try some out.” She pointed out. “I have to hang around the entrance and greet people for a little while anyway.’ Melanie kissed her one last time as she and their son made a bee line for the refreshments.


“Lindsay?” She turned to see Jennifer coming into the gallery. “This looks wonderful. Did you put this all together yourself?” She asked.


“Yes I did.” She accepted the hug that Jennifer casually offered.


“It’s truly amazing.” She glanced around the area and was flooded with memories of Justin’s first show at the GLC. Lindsay must have been reading her mind as she quickly pulled her aside.


“A lot has changed since then.” Jennifer nodded surprised that she was so easy to read.


“I ran home and told Craig once I saw how old the man Justin was involved with was. I thought he had been learning from boys his age. Brian Kinney came as quite a shock.” She smiled.


“I usually do.” Brian’s dry voice caught them both off guard.


“Oh Brian I’m sorry.” Jennifer apologized. “I didn’t mean---I was just thinking about Justin’s first show.” Brian nodded not really offering anything to the woman as he leaned in to kiss Lindsay.


“Where’s Gus?” He asked looking around.


“Follow the cookie crumbs.” Lindsay advised. Brian glanced once more at Jennifer his expression unreadable before turning to search for his son.


“Shit.” Jennifer quipped. “I didn’t mean to upset him.” She shook her head. Lindsay could see that she was sincere.


“Then go tell him that.” She offered. Jennifer glanced at the retreating man aworried look crossing her face. Lindsay gave her arm and encouraging squeeze. Jennifer sighed then followed the man. When she caught up with him he was picking up his son trying to steal a bite of the boy’s cookie. She smiled seeing this side of him for the first time. He was playful and it was obvious that Gus loved him very much.


“Brian.” She began as he lowered a giggling Gus to the floor. He raised an eyebrow in response.


“I’m sorry for what I said. I really didn’t mean to hurt you. I never have. It has just always been about—“


“Protecting Justin.” He finished her statement and she nodded. “I don’t want to hurt him Jennifer. I’m just trying to help where I can.” He looked at her the sincerity in his eyes obvious to anyone in the room. Jennifer found herself reassessing this man.


“I realize that. Old habits are hard to break. I still treat Justin as if he were 17. He’s a man who can make his own choices. I just don’t want there to be any hard feelings between us anymore.” She offered her hand. Brian considered it with a strange look on his face.


“Are you suggesting a truce?” He smirked. He hadn’t accepted her hand yet but she refused to take it back.


“I didn’t realize we were at war, but if that’s what you need then yes. The last thing my son needs if for the important people in his life to be at odds.” Brian admired her love for her son. He didn’t always appreciate the methods that she choice to show it, but he couldn’t ever doubt that she loved him. He finally accepted her hand. They shook briefly.


“Truce.” He stated and smiled. “So where is the object of our affection?” He asked looking around.


“Stephen went down for his nap and Justin was working on the computer when I left. I think he is getting a résumé together. He seemed to need some space so I thought I would come appreciate Lindsay’s hard work.” She glanced around. “She’s very talented.” They both stood admiring the displays as well as the growing crowd that was filing in. “She mentioned a painting that she thought Justin would like. I wanted to see if I could get it for him.”


“I have a bunch of his work. He was going to sell it for nothing.” Brian sighed. “Anyway I have it. I told him that they were Christmas presents but I’m just holding on to them until he can get on his feet. They should be sold in a gallery not an estate sale.” He bent down and picked up Gus for a last hug.


“An estate sale?” Jennifer asked.


“Yeah he sold everything except what you saw in those boxes we brought back. It was hard but you would have been proud of him. He’s the strongest person I know.” Brian walked past her.


“Brian.” He paused to turn back. “Thank you for being there for him. I really do appreciate it and I know he does also.” Brian made little to no response then left.


Gus remembered Jennifer and made a point of showing her the treasure of cookies he had located with his Mommy. She smiled as he pointed out which ones were good and which ones were yucky. He was a sweet boy so open and honest. Jennifer wondered what had happened to Brian growing up to cause him to be so closed off. He had spoken more today than ever before. She suddenly wanted to meet Brian’s parents. Maybe Debbie knew them. She wanted to try to understand this man who loved her son so much. Taking a cookie from Gus she smiled down at him. The hazel eyes that shone back up to her were so similar and yet so different from those of his Father.


**********************************


Ted didn’t usually come to the GLC shows. He was more attracted to musical art than visual but Emmett had wanted to come so he had gladly accompanied his friend.


“Oh Teddy look at this one.” It was a sketch of a Pride parade. Ted smirked it was perfect for Emmett. Of all the pieces it was obvious why this one would speak to his friend. “I think that’s us.” Upon closer examination Ted noticed that the two men Emmett was pointing to in the drawing did look remarkably like them. Emmett was on the steps of Woody’s while Ted was down on the sidewalk.


“Oh looks its Justin and Brian.” He announced as he pointed to the left of Ted. The artist was good but not so much that it was obvious who the people were. He supposed that it could have been them but he didn’t remember Justin being around when he and Brian had spoken that day. Plus that would have been years ago. Justin hadn’t been to a Pride in Pittsburg since his first almost four years ago.


“I wonder if Brian has seen this one?” Emmett asked looking around to see if Brian was still there. He caught a glimpse of the man as he was just exiting the exhibit room.


“Brian.” Ted called out curious to see what his reaction would be. He wondered if Brian regretted his time with Justin or if he regretted more his time without him. Emmett on the other hand was still hopeful that once Justin had the chance to recover from his loss that he would once again find his true love. He had always believed that Brian and Justin belonged together.


Brian turned seeing Emmett. He rolled his eyes before he moved towards the two men.


“What brings you two to the Fag Center?” He asked sarcastically. “Looking to make an investment? Buy Exxon.” He quipped. Emmett waved him off reaching for him and pulling him towards the painting.


“Look. It’s us.” Brian stepped closer. He shook his head.


“Can’t be.”


“Look again.” Ted motioned to the figures that Emmett was referring to. Brian looked closer. There was a man on the steps who could be Emmett and the drab dressed man on the sidewalk had to be Ted. Glancing over he saw, he blinked twice to make sure he was seeing correctly. There standing with his arms crossed was Justin. Sitting on the steps behind the blonde Brian recognized himself. He had forced Justin to go. It was to keep Chris Hobbs from winning, but in the end he had won after all. Too many obstacles for the two of them to overcome, Brian sighed at the thought. Perhaps if Justin had remembered their ridiculously romantic night he would never have doubted his place in Brian’s life. Brian remained cool as he pulled back.


“Doesn’t even look like us.” He turned and walked away leaving the two men more convinced than ever that they were indeed in the sketch.


“He looks tired. Wonder if he hit the backrooms after getting back from New York last night?” Ted pondered not looking at Emmett but still watching where Brian had disappeared through the door. He heard Emmett’s exasperated sigh.


“They belong together.” Emmett turned back to the portrait slightly ticked off at Ted’s cynical attitude. “I’m buying it.”