Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Endings and Beginnings - Book 3



Chapter 8


Emmett watched from his porch as Brian entered his car and drove off. He knew that that wasn’t a good sign. He thought about going down and comforting his friend, but then decided against it. Hearing his phone ring he headed back inside his house.


“Hello?” He answered his mind still on Justin.


“Hey Loverboy.” Ted crooned. Emmett smiled at the sound of his voice.


“Hey there Teddy. How ya doing?” He asked walking into the kitchen to once again consider what he would make for dinner.


“Okay.” Ted replied brightly. “And you?”


“Oh I’m alright.” Emmett reluctantly replied as he picked through the cupboards.


“You sound a little down.” Ted offered.


“Well Brian just left Justin’s and I think there is trouble in paradise.”


“Didn’t they just get back from Toronto?”


“Yeah. Justin said it was good and bad. I think it ended up bad though.” Ted was quiet. “Aren’t you going to say anything?” Emmett asked.


“What’s to say? Brian’s an asshole and Justin’s an idiot.” Emmett felt his temper flare.


“You can say whatever you want about Brian but Justin is no idiot.” Emmett defended.


“He is if he thinks that Brian is going to be anything other than an asshole.” Ted returned. Emmett had no intention of continuing this conversation.


“Well I’m going to call Michael and see how his trip was. I have to go.” Emmett hung up before Ted could say goodbye.


Emmett thought about calling Michael, but instead he found himself standing at his kitchen sink staring out the window into the darkness of his backyard. He thought of Justin and Stephen a few houses down. He’d never understand why it had to be so hard to find the right person. He too was looking. He’d put Max Collins at the top of the list but now he wasn’t so sure that was where the handsome man needed to be.


He considered all that Justin had told him earlier. Emmett realized that maybe Max was the best thing for Justin and for Stephen. As cute as Max was and as much as Emmett wanted him, maybe Justin needed him more. Max seemed kind and concerned. It was obvious that he already had feelings for Justin.


Emmett sighed and moved away from the sink. He knew Justin was hung up on Brian. It would be hard thing to let go of but the blond had done it once before. Justin needed someone who would be kind to him. He needed someone who would be there to support him with Stephen. Someone that would remind him each day that he was enough.


The more Emmett considered it the more Max now seemed the obvious answer. Now all Emmett had to do was find a way to convince Justin of that fact.


**********************


“So then what happened?” Deb asked setting another batch of cookies on the table.


“He acted like I was happy that Brian and Justin were having problems. That they had decided to only be friends.” Michael’s voice sounded hollow.


“What do you mean ‘only be friends’?” Deb asked giving Vic a wary look. Michael took a long drink of milk before answering.


“Well Brian and Justin had this huge fight.” Michael began with a little too much glee.


“What about?” Deb asked reaching for a cookie as she gave Vic a knowing look.


“It’s a long story but it all boils down to the fact that no matter how much Brian does for Justin it will never be enough. He wants Brian to be someone that he just can’t be.”


“In other words Brian went all the way to Toronto, brought him his son and yet still found time to trick.” Deb surmised. Vic shook his head slightly. He had really hoped that Justin and Brian would find happiness this time. He’d watched Brian struggle the three years that Justin had been gone. He hated to see the two men merely repeat their failed history over and over again.


“Brian is Brian. That’s never going to change.” Michael replied.


“Bull shit. Brian can change and if he gives a shit about keeping Justin he will change.” Deb spat back in frustration. She hated seeing her boys hurt and had no doubt in her mind that both Brian and Justin were hurting right now.


“Why can’t Justin change? Why does it always have to be about Brian?” Michael argued.


“What did Ben say?” Vic asked changing the topic enough to avoid the well worn path that the mother and son were about to traverse.


“He just said I would probably be happy to hear that they were going to be friends and he seemed pretty pissed that I got involved.”


“How did you get involved?” Vic asked leaning his head wearily onto his hand. Michael shifted defensively taking another bite of cookie to avoid speaking for a moment. When he glanced over at his mother he noticed the exasperated look on her face. Taking a breath he launched into his explanation.


“I went looking for Justin after he and Brian had this huge fight. I tried talking to Justin the first time when he cheated on Brian with Ethan.” He paused remembering how pointless all his warnings had been then. “I just thought that maybe this time he would listen.” He explained.


“I’m biting some tongue so hard I’m tasting blood.” Deb muttered glancing at Vic who only smirked.


“Anyway he and I got into it a little. He said that I was trying to keep Brian as the same fourteen year old that I had fallen in love with.” He stated incredulously looking from Vic to Deb for corroboration that the accusation was unfounded. Instead he found two knowing and sympathetic looks meeting his own. “I do not!” He huffed. “He doesn’t have a fucking clue about me or about Brian. He’s been gone for years.”


“But he’s back now and something just never change.” Deb sighed. “Besides you knew Brian for years Michael, but Justin knew him better in six months than you knew him in 16 years. He knows Brian. Sunshine understands him. He always has.” Deb reached for her son’s hand but Michael pulled away.


“I should have known you’d take Justin’s side. Brian is the asshole and Justin is the Saint.” Michael grumbled angrily.


“I love Brian.” Deb announced meeting her son’s anger with indignation. “I love him more than you do that’s for certain.”


“How can you say that?” Michael whined defensively.


“Because I want him to be happy and Justin, in my opinion, is his only hope of ever being happy. He isn’t a Saint but he’s a pretty remarkable kid. It was fucking amazing watching him get under Brian’s bullshit the first time and it’s been wonderful to watch them both find each other again.” Deb stood and walked back to the sink straightening her apron before turning back around.


“You always take his side.” He argued.


“Michael, this isn’t about taking sides. This is about what is the best thing for everyone. Brian needs Justin. Can’t you see that? Justin needs Brian, just like you need Ben.” She tried to convince her son. Michael felt outraged. He stood suddenly knocking his chair back, the sound of it crashing to the floor magnifying the silence that now filled the air. How could his own mother not see that Brian was the victim in all of this? That he needed his best friend to protect him from being hurt again. How was it that everyone continued to be blinded to Justin’s manipulations and spoiled brat demands?


“This has nothing to do with Ben. Leave him out of this. This is about Brian. He needs me. I’ve never let him down and I don’t plan on starting now.” Michael spat as he snatched his coat from the back of the sofa and left.


“Doesn’t have anything to do with Ben.” Deb mumbled looking over at Vic once more.


“Of course it doesn’t.” Vic muttered staring at the door where his nephew had just fled. “Nothing to do with Ben at all.”



************************


Brian looked up and met two familiar brown eyes staring at him from the other side of the backroom. He smirked then closed his eyes once more enjoying the feel of the trick’s mouth. He felt his orgasm closing in and forced all thoughts of his best friend from his mind so he wouldn’t lose his erection.


Moments later he allowed the waves to wash over him as he closed his eyes keeping the image of blonde hair and blue eyes firmly in the forefront of his mind.


“Brian.” Michael’s whine vanquished any hopes Brian had of holding on to the image of Justin that was still pounding in his mind. Quickly it slipped away as he opened his eyes once more and found the smaller man standing, arms crossed over his chest with a pout securely painted on his lips.


“What do you want?” Brian asked as he finished buttoning up and started out of the backroom.


“Where’s Justin?” Michael asked testing the waters.


“How the fuck should I know?” Brian asked aware that his feelings were betrayed by his tone. Michael nodded knowingly. This was the perfect time to test the waters. He’d lain awake all night considering what it was that he could do to make sure that Justin never hurt Brian again. Finally just before dawn he’d come up with a two tier plan. The first tier involved keeping Brian so busy he didn’t have time to see Justin. If they didn’t see each other then their friendship would cool and eventually they would drift apart. The second tier was a little more difficult. Michael had to find someone to replace the blonde. It was obvious that Brian was looking for something more than a trick to fill his bed, but he needed someone who could accept him for who he was as well as who Michael was in his life. Michael felt certain that he could help Brian locate this person. He had a suspicion of who a likely candidate might be, but he needed some time in Brian’s apartment to get the man’s number.


Michael watched as Brian headed for the bar. He was already on something. He was no doubt already launching into the first phase of his own plan to forget the blonde. It was the same one he had used three years ago. Chemicals to forget and dull the pain, it seemed the easiest mode for Brian to start out with.


“I’m taking you home.” Michael whined.


“The night is young Mikey.” Brian smiled. “I’m partying like its 1984.” He laughed as he down his shot.


“Come on Brian. You’ve had enough. We both know what this is about. Are you really going to let that little shit get to you this way.” Michael wasn’t sure how it happened. It all happened so fast. One minute he was standing behind Brian trying to reason with his best friend and the next his best friend had him in the air by his shirt pinned against a column.


“Brian what the fuck are you doing?” Michael scrambled to free himself. He looked into the piercingly angry eyes glaring back at him. A moment later Brian shook his head and the anger faded.


“Maybe I have had too much.” The man admitted weakly as he released Michael. Michael cast an embarrassed looked around the area and squirmed a bit under the scrutiny of many curious onlookers.


“Let’s go.” Michael put his hand on Brian’s back. The taller man allowed him to be pushed out of the club. He was deep in thought by the time they reached his jeep.


“I can drive myself home.” Brian argued.


“Give me your keys.” Michael laughed. Brian pressed their foreheads together for a moment just to assure himself that they were okay after the way he had attacked Michael in the club. He hadn’t meant to hurt Michael. He was just so tired of the man always running Justin down. The constant strive was exhausting. Perhaps Michael was right. Maybe he was already reverting back to his old ways. This was exactly how he had tried to forget the blonde the first time. Brian thought about those endless days and nights and fought the urge to drive to Justin’s house instead of his own loft.


He was making the same mistake again. He knew it. He was letting the blonde drift away into the arms of another man. Brian wondered for a moment who that man might be. No doubt Max would make a run at the blond but there were other men in Justin’s life now too. Brian hated feeling insecure and wished he had another popper.


“I’m driving.” Brian stated weakly but allowed Michael to reach into his pocket and retrieve his keys.


“It’s okay Brian. I’m here.” Michael soothed as he helped his wasted friend stumble into the jeep. “I thought you would be in the vette.” Michael joked trying to take Brian’s mind off of the reason he had so loaded.


Brian didn’t know how to respond. He wasn’t sure why he had brought the jeep. He hardly ever used it anymore. The only time he drove it now was when he was going to need the extra space for Gus or Stephen. Brian leaned his head back against the seat sorting through the conversation he had with Justin earlier. It was over. They were over. Justin had asked him to choose and he had chosen the backrooms. The irony was so thick Brian felt certain he would choke on it. Last time he had forced Justin to choose and this time Justin had forced him. Either way it had ended the same. They were apart.


Michael glanced over at his friend. His eyes were closed and his beautiful faced lined with sadness. “It’s okay Brian.” Michael reiterated wanting to comfort his friend. “I’ll protect you. He’ll never hurt you again.” He vowed. Brian failed to hear him. He was too busy thinking of all he had lost.


**************************


Max was just taking another cup of tea out of the microwave when he heard the knock on his door. Setting the cup aside he furrowed his brow as he noticed the time. It was after one. He seldom had visitors and never this late. Opening his apartment door he was surprised at find Michael Novotny standing defiantly before him.


“What a surprise.” Max stated warily. Max wondered what Brian Kinney’s self proclaimed best friend was doing at his home.


“Can I come in?” Michael asked as he moved into the apartment. Max stepped aside and watched as the smaller man rambled in slightly unsure of himself. He smirked as he closed the door. This had the promise of being very interesting not to mention slightly entertaining.


“To what do I owe the pleasure?” There was a sarcastic note to his voice but Michael seemed to miss it entirely.


“I think we have a mutual goal and I was hoping maybe we could work together in order to reach it.” Max was startled by Michael blunt honesty. This wasn’t a man who played games. He wondered if this sort of honesty was the result of the man’s character or lack of intelligence. Some people refused to play games for ethical reasons; others just weren’t smart enough to pull it off. The slightly absent look to Novotny’s face helped Max conclude that his bravado resulted from the latter of the two.


“What goal would that be?” Max asked motioning to a chair in his living room.


“I don’t want Justin with Brian and neither do you right?” He looked away as if he were ashamed of what he was doing then seemed to steel himself before meeting Max’s steady gaze.


“I would have to say that you are correct.” Max coolly replied. “But I don’t see how either of us could really affect that situation. I’ve been trying for some time—“


“That’s because it can’t just be Justin. It has to be both of them. Justin wants Brian. Everyone wants Brian, but he’ll never have him, not the way he wants. In the meantime he manages to confuse my friend and hurt him.” Michael spat.


“The way I see it, it’s Brian hurting Justin.” Max defended.


“Well then I guess we have different motivation for wanting to succeed, but the goal is the same.” Michael admitted. Max merely nodded in agreement still sizing up the smaller man sitting across from him.


“So what do you suggest Michael?” Max asked curiously.


“I need for you to rush Justin. I need you to be everything he wants.” Michael paused. “He wants a partner. He wants monogamy. He wants someone who gets jealous when he’s with other men.”


“And you know this because?” Max raised an eyebrow as he leaned forward in his chair.


“Because we were friends once, before he hurt Brian the first time.” Michael glanced away. “He told me these things.”


“I don’t suppose you told Brian any of this?” Max asked narrowing his eyes. Michael shook his head. “Pity. Maybe if you had then things would have ended differently the last time.” Max offered.


“Bullshit.” Michael stood. “Justin’s a spoiled brat. He’ll never be satisfied. Brian will NEVER be enough for him. He’ll always demand more.” Max motioned for him to sit back down as he leaned back in his chair. He watched as Michael schooled his emotions then relented. He wondered if the man was really so comfortable with his decision years ago to keep Justin’s confessions to himself? Surely watching Kinney endure the loss of the blond must have raised a few moments of doubt.


“So what is your plan?” Max asked knowing that whatever it was he would need to improve on it.


“I need you to spend time with Justin. Show him you can be whatever the fuck he wants. Then when the time is right, I’ll need to you flaunt your new found love in front of Brian. He’ll need to see that Justin has moved on.” Michael stated.


“And this will change what? You’ve seen Justin when Brian is in the room. It’s like they are fucking magnets for each other. They can’t keep their eyes let alone their hands off of each other.” Max replied bitterly. Michael smirked seeing the man lose his cool for the moment. He felt his confidence move up a notch.


“I’ll take care of Brian.” Michael stated firmly.


“I don’t see you being his type.” Max laughed. Michael clenched his jaw.


“That’s none of your fucking business. I have something else in the works.” Max nodded.


“And that would be?” Max asked curious.


“One of Brian’s clients. Brian mentioned that he is coming in to finalize some part of the campaign. They were together and I know he left a few messages on Brian’s machine. I was there when he got them. I just have to call the guy. He’ll be more than willing to keep Brian distracted and Justin off of his mind.” Max smirked. He was impressed.


“Michael, you have certainly given this some serious thought.” He offered. Michael stood.


“Do we have a deal?” He offered his hand. Max stood as well staring at the hand as if accepting would equate to making a deal with the devil. He finally accepted the hand though and shook it briefly. It was settled. The two men would work for the same goal. Max had never felt more confident that Justin would be his.


***************************


Brian was in the middle of going over the final layouts for the Texfield Petroleum campaign when Cynthia buzzed him.


“Tyler Mayhan is on line one.” Brian hit the line.


“Tyler.” He greeted.


“Brian.” Tyler seductively replied. Brian shifted slightly in his chair. He wasn’t sure exactly what it was about the tall dark Texan that always got to Brian but he certainly had one part of the brunet’s anatomy standing up and taking notice.


“When will you be in town?” Brian asked trying to focus on the campaign and not his dick for the moment.


“Actually I just landed. I decided to come in a few days earlier than I’d first planned.” Brian raised an eyebrow and leaned back in his chair considering the man’s words.


“And why would that be? Find you just can’t get enough of the Pitts?” Brian joked.


“Actually I wanted to see you again. It’s been months and well I’ve missed you.” Brian felt his throat go dry. He knew he would have to find a way to navigate these waters carefully or possibly lose the account.


“Tyler—“He started.


“I know you don’t do boyfriends.” Tyler teased laughing lightly into the phone.


“Who have you been talking to?” Brian asked feeling suddenly suspicious and irritated.


“Your best friend, the last time I was at Woody’s. He gave me the high and the low on Brian Kinney.” Tyler remarked trying to put Brian at ease.


“So you realize—“


“Don’t go all Breeder on me Kinney. Just want to have a little fun and thought I could have it with you.” Tyler stated. He wasn’t looking for anything serious. He would be in the Pitts off and on for the next two to three months and figured why not be with the best instead of slumming with the local natives.


Tyler had been intrigued by the call he’d received from Michael Novotony. Apparently Brian had started seeing someone who had been using him. Michael knew Brian needed a worthwhile distraction to get over the sleaze and had remembered Tyler’s name.


Mayhan didn’t usually go into the behind the scene scheme but if it meant some solo time or even some not so solo time with Kinney, he was more than willing to throw his hat in the ring.


“So we understand each other?” Brian asked pulling Tyler back to the conversation.


“For the next four months we are official fuck buddies.” Tyler teased.


“You make it sound so romantic.” Brian deadpanned.


“Yes, I DO.” Tyler laughed again. “So I guess its matching cock rings and beef cake right? Isn’t that what we selected Honey?” He continued. Brian found himself laughing in spite of the shitty mood he’d been in all week.


This was exactly what Brian needed. He’d been thinking of Justin constantly for the last few days. He’d picked up the phone several times to call but had no idea what to say. They decided to be friends but he knew he wasn’t prepared to be close to the blond. The pull would still be there. He didn’t want to hurt Justin by giving him any false hopes. They needed some distance before they could possibly hope to be platonic with one another. Brian wondered again if there would ever be enough time or distance to make it possible. Mentally sighing, he cleared his thoughts of the man.


“Come by the office. My afternoon is now officially free. Let’s see what we can find to do.”


“How about me?” Tyler suggested mischievously. Brian smiled. Yeah this was exactly what he needed.


************************