Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Endings and Beginnings - Book 3
Chapter 2


Justin sat on the stool in the bar nursing his drink. He really wasn’t interested in getting drunk or even buzzed. He had just wanted to be somewhere besides his room. He needed to think.


Brian and the boys were all asleep. Obviously the long day of travel had been very taxing on the three of them. Justin still marveled that Brian had gone to so much trouble for Stephen and him. Obviously Max didn’t have a clue what Brian was capable of. He hoped that this would settle that argument once and for all.


Justin had remained in their room for a few minutes after Brian had drifted off. He’d enjoyed watching his three favorite people sleep. It had been strangely comforting. He always loved to watch Stephen sleep. He was amazed how all the excitement and anxiety would immediately leave his son’s face replaced by a look of total relaxation and peace. It took a while longer for Brian to lose all of his anxiety but even his face would eventually let go and relax into some sort of serenity.


Whatever demons haunted Brian’s days, they seemed to leave him alone in his sleep. Justin wondered about those demons for a moment. He thought back over those first two year together. He found himself smiling fondly as he reminisced about their first year together. Of course Brian would swear up and down that they had not been together, but Justin had known better. They had felt connected since their very first night. He remembered the second time that the man had brought him back to the loft. He had just taken the two men away from Brian on the dance floor at Babylon.


Once they had reached the loft that night, they hadn’t spoken much, but the sex had been different. It had been more intense and yet excitedly familiar. They had spent more time kissing than Justin had expected. When they had finally collapsed in exhaustion Brian hadn’t kicked him out of his bed, but instead they had woken in each other’s arms. Justin could still remember lying there trying not to breathe as he watched the other man sleep. He had been afraid of waking Brian. He knew that once the man opened his eyes that the mask he wore to the rest of the world would suddenly slip back into place. Justin liked that he was one of the few who had seen the real Brian Kinney. Brian was beautiful with the mask but completely irresistible without it.


Thinking back to their first night under the blue lights, Justin remembered that he had been nervous with Brian but at the same time incredibly calm. It had felt right to be with him. That was what had been missing during his time with Ethan. As much as he had tried to make it all work, being with Ethan had never felt right. Somehow he had gotten off course and wound up with the wrong man. He felt a bitter taste in his mouth as he considered those thoughts again.


He hated thinking of Ethan as a mistake. There was something terribly wrong about that. He picked up his drink and moved to a small table in a dark corner in the back of the bar. How could he think such a thing of a man that he had shared three years of his life with, had a child with, been committed to?


“Because it’s the truth.” Looking up Justin smiled as he saw Ethan sitting across from him.


“It’s been a while since you’ve haunted me.” Justin commented taking another sip of his drink.


“Been a while since you’ve needed me to.” Ethan laughed softly his eyes never leaving Justin’s.


“Sorry.” Justin admitted guiltily.


“You think I’m here to condemn you?” Ethan waited for Justin to look up at him. “Cuz I’m not. You’re right.” He said sadly surprising Justin. “You’re thoughts are right. We were good together but it never was exactly right.” He reached for Justin’s drink and took a sip. Justin continued to watch him. “I loved you. You loved me. We both loved Stephen, but it was always there. HE was always there.” Ethan’s face was gentle almost tender looking at his lover. He smiled reaching across the table to touch Justin face. “Wow you are really beautiful.” Justin swallowed tears filling his eyes.


“No.” He joked. “Not really.”


“Then let’s pretend.” Ethan finished their private joke causing a lump to form in Justin’s throat as he swallowed a sob. He had never been comfortable under Ethan’s intense scrutiny. He had never been able to accept the man’s compliments on his looks so they had developed this little ongoing joke during their first year together.


“It’s okay to be happy Justin. It’s okay to pick up where you left off with Brian. I benefited from your mistake. I will happily be your mistake. There are a lot worse things to be. They were the best three years of my life.” He sighed smiling once more. “Everyday I came home and found you still at the apartment I was surprised. “


His words angered Justin as he shot up a glare. Ethan smirked. “I’d forgotten about your temper. “ He shook his head as he continued to chuckle. “Will you please lower the daggers so I can continue my thought?” Justin complied hesitantly.


“I was surprised everyday that I came home to find you still at the apartment because it was so obvious that you were still in love with him.” He looked thoughtful and sad.


“I would never have just run out on you. I would never have left—“


“Stephen.” Ethan finished for him. There was a moment of silence as they regarded each other. “I didn’t always exactly play fair now did I?” Justin didn’t answer. They both knew it was the truth. Ethan’s eyes begged for understanding and forgiveness. Justin gave a small smile extending both to his lost partner.


“It’s time Justin. He’s ready and you’re ready.” Justin laughed swallowing more of his drink.


“He’s ready.” He rolled his eyes.


“He is.” Ethan said firmly. “He knows it, but just like before you’re both assuming too much and communicating too little.” Justin furrowed his brow in confusion.


“I’m not going to spell it out for you Blondie.” He joked sadly. Justin pursed his lips together at the sound of the endearment.


“I miss you.” Justin whispered a tear finding its way down his cheek. He didn’t look up for a moment and when he finally did Ethan was gone. He wasn’t surprised. He just hoped that where ever the other man was that he had heard, he knew and he understood.


****************************


Brian heard the door open and knew that Justin was back. Easing himself out of the bed where he and Gus had been sleeping with Stephen cradled between them. He placed his pillow on the back of the baby to keep him from rolling out.


“Justin.” He whispered so that they wouldn’t collide in the dark.


“Did I wake you?” He could hear the concern in the other man’s voice.


“No I’ve been lying here listening to Gus and Stephen breathe.”


“Sounds riveting.” Justin joked. “I can see where it would be hard to go back to sleep.” He reached for Brian having followed the sound of his voice. He found him sitting on the edge of the hide-away. Feeling Justin’s hand on his arm he reached and pulled him into his lap. Justin cradled Brian’s head to his chest.


They sat in silence for a long moment.


“Where’d you go?” He asked finally.


“Bar.” Justin’s voice was soft. He was still thinking about the conversation he had just had with his dead partner.


“Meet anyone interesting?” Brian asked hating that he was really wondering if Max had been there.


“No I didn’t meet anyone new just had a drink and thought about things.” He offered kissing the top of Brian’s head.


“What time is your seminar tomorrow?” He asked wrapping his arms tighter around Justin’s body and pulled him back as he reclined. Justin smiled.


“Nine to noon then I’m free until Sunday morning.” He felt Brian working the buttons on his shirt. “What are your plans?” He asked.


“Thought we’d do breakfast in since Stephen will be up at the crack of dawn.” Justin laughed knowing that was the truth.


“I’ll just grab him and we can go down to breakfast. You and Gus can sleep in. I’ll bring him back to the room around 8:45 so I can get to my seminar.” Brian wanted to argue but knew that he would need all the rest he could get if he hoped to keep up with both boys all morning.


He ran his hands up and over Justin’s chest pulling the man’s lips down to meet his own. They shifted to align their bodies. Brian moaned as he deepened the kiss and felt Justin’s hands trace down his sides stopping at his hips. Brian had lied earlier when Justin had asked if he had been sleeping. He hadn’t been just lying in bed listening to the two boys sleep. He had been lying in bed reliving the prom night. He had watched the same memories over and over again for an hour. He had needed to escape but hadn’t been able to leave the children, so he had laid there a prisoner of his past. It was a past that had brought him great joy in the arms that held him now and anguish as he once again found himself seeing Justin lying on the cold cement in a pool of his own blood.


Feeling the warm body in his arms he rolled them until Justin was beneath him. He wanted to forget. He wanted all the memories and feelings of that night to disappear. He began working his way down Justin’s body enjoying the hushed noises Justin was making in response.


“Brian.” He whispered. Brian smiled against Justin’s chest. He loved hearing that voice calling his name. How many times had he heard him call his name? How many times had he called out his? He heard it echoing off the walls of the parking garage ‘Justin’ and then the sound of the bat. Brian flinched.


“Brian?” Justin had felt him tense and sat up.


“It’s nothing.” Brian offered returning to the man’s body.


“Brian.” Justin whispered firmly. He rose then shifted from beneath the older man. He stood up by the edge of the mattress. Reaching out he took Brian’s hand and led him off of the bed and over to the two chairs by the window. Opening the curtain an inch allowing a thin beam of light to illuminate the area around them, he brought Brian’s hand to his lips and kissed it. In the dim light he could make out Brian’s features. He could see that he looked tired and worried. He realized that Brian had not slept long after he had left earlier.


“What is it?” He asked still holding the other man’s hand their knees touching as their chairs faced one another. Gus mumbled in his sleep and rolled over. They both turned to insure that the boy wasn’t waking. Once reassured, Justin turned his eyes once more to Brian waiting for his answer.


Brian wanted to say nothing. He wanted to play this moment off. He felt too tired to have this conversation, but knew that sex wasn’t the answer. He had used it for years ago and even though it had masked the symptoms the injury had remained. It was a gash, ragged and bleeding deep within him. He needed to say it. He needed Justin to know, but was afraid of what the other man might say or think. Taking a deep breath he stared down at their joined hands. He remembered the feel of that hand in his on the dance floor. The feeling of their fingers slipping out from between his in the parking garage as Justin pulled away, needing to retrieve Daphne from the hotel moments before---.


“Brian?” Justin asked once more almost pleading.


“I was wrong to come.” Brian’s voice was hoarse with emotion. Justin was shocked.


“Why do you say that? I love having you here. It’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I—“ Brian squeezed Justin’s hand to silence him.


“Not to Toronto.” He paused looking up meeting the other man’s eyes. “To the prom.” Justin started at the words. His brow furrowed as he considered what it was that Brian was saying. He couldn’t believe it was actually happening. They were going to talk about the prom. He was hit by a wave of fear and elation. Steadying himself he spoke.


“Why do you feel that way?” Justin asked feeling like he already knew it but realized that Brian obviously needed to talk.


“If I hadn’t come then it would never have happened.” Brian’s voice was so soft it was hard to hear.


“What wouldn’t have happened?” Justin asked forcing Brian to say the words he knew now the man was avoiding.


“The bashing. What the fuck do you think I’m talking about? The bashing wouldn’t have happened if I had just stayed away. It was all for nothing. No, that’s wrong. It was worse than that.” Brian felt the tears sting his eyes and sniffed to hold them at bay.


“Do you really think that?” Justin’s voice was stunned. “You think you were the reason that Chris Hobbs bashed me?” Brian nodded keeping his gaze fixed on their hands. He hadn’t really asked Justin about his hand. He hadn’t seen him sketch much since he returned but the ones he had saved from the estate sale in New York had been amazing. He found himself massaging the blonde’s right hand subconsciously. Justin watched the man’s movements remaining silent until Brian looked up at him.


“You think it was you?” Justin smiled. “That it had nothing to do with the hand job I gave him, or the fight I had with him in the locker room, or the incident in my classroom where he called me a queer, or me starting the Gay Straight Student Alliance, or confronting him and outing him on Liberty Avenue. It was entirely your fault for coming to my prom?” Justin let his words sink in. He watched Brian roll his lips into his mouth. He glanced back down concentrating on their hands once more. “Brian?” Justin called softly waiting. “Brian, look at me.” He stated firmly. Brian looked up seeing Justin’s eyes also shining with unshed tears. “You didn’t cause it. It wasn’t your fault.”


“Justin—“ He began but Justin interrupted.


“No Brian once and for all get this. It wasn’t your fault.” He shook his head. “Chris wasn’t on the baseball team. He was on the football team. He didn’t even play baseball so why did he have a bat? He came ready. It was fucking premeditated.” Brian looked up watching Justin closely.


“Why didn’t you ever tell me this?” He asked.


“You would never let me talk about it. No one would ever let me talk about it. They all thought it would upset me except not talking just kept it all locked up inside. It made it feel like I had done something shameful. It was something embarrassing that I wasn’t to discuss. Well I didn’t do anything wrong. I know that now. I might not have used the best judgment but I didn’t deserve it.” Justin stood up and moved over to check on the boys hoping his voice hadn’t disturbed them. Brian watched him as he moved. Standing by the bed Justin turned to face him once more.


“You saved me. Had you not come, I have no doubt in my mind that he would have waited until I was alone and he would have killed me. He would have ended me there and then if you hadn’t been there. You saved me. Had you not called my name I wouldn’t have turned. According to all the doctors the only thing that spared me was where the bat landed. It landed where it did because I turned when I heard you call to me. You saved me. You didn’t hurt me. It wasn’t your fault.” He moved toward Brian pushing the chair out of the way he knelt in front of the man cupping his face with his hands. He stared up into his face. It was a mixture of shadow and light in the wee hours of the morning.


“Tell me about the prom. I can’t remember but it had to have been the best night of my life.” Justin words struck Brian who furrowed his brow as he nodded in agreement.


“That’ what you said.” He offered.


“I did?” Justin found himself trying to remember but knew it was futile. “I wanted you there so badly and then you were. I can’t imagine how surprised and happy I must have been. Tell me what I can’t remember, Brian. Fill in the blanks. Something amazing happened that night and yet we’ve let everyone make it about the bashing but before it was about the bashing it was about you and me. You came. You came after me. I want to know. Tell me everything.” His eyes were searching Brian’s.


“I thought Daphne already did that.” Brian replied.


“She gave me her version. She wouldn’t understand all that was happening between us. No one ever has. Tell me Brian. I want to know. Those memories are like some big missing piece to the puzzle of us. I feel like something important happened and I missed it. Did you---“Justin paused wondering if he should ask the question that he wasn’t sure he wanted the answer to. Tired of being afraid and knowing this was probably going to be his only chance he pushed on. “Did you fall in love with me that night?” He asked. “Did you tell me?”


The silence in the room was deafening as they held onto one another. The only sound in the room was that of two little boys sleeping. Until Brian cleared his throat and admitted. “Yes and no.”


Justin remained silent as their eyes remained locked on each other. Brian pulled the man up to him and kissed him gently cupping Justin’s chin as the pressed their foreheads together.


“That’s all I can say right now. I’m too tired and I just don’t have –“ Justin really hated to walk away from this now. He had wanted this conversation for so long, but unlike in the past he knew that he could trust Brian to talk about it again. After all he had brought it up.


“It’s okay.” Justin reassured him. “It’s a start. It’s a beginning.” He kissed Brian and led him back to the bed. Lying down behind him he wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist and held him tightly to his chest. Brian sighed and intertwined his fingers with Justin’s causing the younger man to smile against his neck.


“I love you.” Justin whispered.


“I know.” Brian whispered back.



******************************


Max lay alone in his bed. He had passed out shortly after Brian had left, but woke to find that he was suffering from a couple of stiff anatomical parts one of which was his neck. He turned it gingerly trying to work the kinks out of it. Finally giving up he push up off of the mattress and stood. He was still slightly wobbly on his legs as he made his way to the bathroom. He ran through his earlier conversation with Kinney.


He had thrown Kinney a bit off his game tonight. It had been obvious that the man was just as concerned about letting Justin down as Max was convinced that he eventually would. Brian wasn’t really a family man. From what Max understood he saw his own son on a fairly regular basis, but when the boy wasn’t around it was business as usual for Brian.


Had it been the tricking that had driven them apart the first time? Max rinsed his hands and threw some water onto his face in an attempt to clear his pounding head. He tried to recall the various theories concerning the ancient history of Justin and Kinney that had been imparted to him by the gossip queens of Liberty. Max realized that the tricking didn’t sound like the real culprit. It had been something more. Perhaps it had been a combination of that and another factor. Max struggled to remember. He knew that it was important that he extract the correct answer from his pickled brain. He cursed how foggy he felt from the alcohol. He needed to think clearly now. He had plans to make. He had to have his strategy right if he hoped to succeed in getting rid of Kinney.


Feeling restless he dressed and fumbled around looking for his wallet. He knew without any sleep he would feel like shit tomorrow but big fucking deal. He would just sleep in. He was the boss after all. Justin had to worry about making it to the sessions not him. He was only here to have time with the blonde. Max laughed bitterly.


“That worked.” He stated angrily. Throwing on his jacket he headed down to the lobby. The halls were deserted as was the lobby for the most part. The staff was still at their posts though. Max stalked over to the concierge. He noticed that the man was obviously tying up loose ends at his station. He was more than likely about to retire for the night.


Max slumped against his counter not sure if his lack of decorum had more to do with his fatigue, his frustration or the remaining bit of drunkenness.


“May I help you sir?’ The man asked giving Max a speculative glance. Max wondered if the man was sizing him up to proposition or assessing him to see if there was a need to notify hotel security.


“Where do you go in this town for fun?” Max asked giving the man a ‘don’t bullshit me’ glare. The man merely smirked. He was trained in dealing with difficult people.


“Depends on what type of fun you prefer sir.” He emphasized the sir.


“Man fun.” Max divulged. The man merely nodded.


“Church Street.” He admitted. Max nodded and then moved to head out. The young man’s voice stopped him. “But by the time you get there most of the good spots will be closed.” Max lowered his head as he sighed in defeat. He turned and headed back into the lobby.


“Thanks for saving me the trip.” He muttered as he passed the counter. The young man nodded. He was just doing his job but it was nice when someone noticed. “Can I buy you a drink—“ He paused checking out the man’s name tag. “Lee?” Max asked, sizing the blonde up. He was around six foot, well built, dark eyes, tan complexion. He was extremely handsome. Max started to think that perhaps he just needed to work off a little of his frustration in order to think straight again. After all three days with a hot blonde and no progress tends to make Max a frustrated boy.


“I can’t. I’m still working for another half hour.” Max nodded again.


He turned and headed towards the bar hoping he could grab a couple of shots before it too closed for the night. He needed a drink and he needed it now. He needed something to jog his memory and inspire him to the correct strategy. He knew that he was the right man for Justin. He just had to find a way to help Justin see that as well. As Max took a seat at a small table he motioned for the bartender. Maybe his solution would be found in the bottle the man was bringing over at that moment.


************************


Brian woke with a start as the sound of the bat and his own voice echoing in the parking garage echoing fresh in his mind. He brought his knees up to his chest and hugged them tight as he willed the emotions away. This wasn’t a new experience for the man just one that he hadn’t had for a few years. Not long after the blonde had disappeared from his life, the nightmares had vanished as well. Brian glanced over at Justin still peacefully sleeping next to him. He stretched working the aches out of his back and wondered for the hundredth time why he had given Gus and Stephen the king size bed while he and Justin slummed on the full size pull out.


Once Brian had his breathing back under control he lay back down and was immediately rewarded by the feel of a warm lean body instinctively wrapping itself around his own. Justin was still asleep and Brian was grateful that his abrupt bolt in the bed hadn’t awakened him. Brian took a deep breath forcing his mind to distance itself from the images lingering after the dream.


He considered the feel of Justin’s head on his chest as he absently ran his fingers through the silky blonde hair that he had missed so much over the years. The weight of this man was both comforting and oppressive. It was a comfort to hold Justin, knowing he was safe, knowing he was back in his life but the latter led to the oppressive nature of the weight. Brian’s unspoken commitment to the blonde pressed in tonight threatening to choke the breath from his laboring lungs.


The more he was with Justin the more he needed to be with Justin. That was how it had always worked between them. From the first night when he had taken him home and fucked him he had wanted him gone and yet had been consumed by a deep craving for more of the man.


He’d never experienced anything like it before. It had both confused and infuriated him. He was after all One Fuck Kinney, but not with Justin, never with Justin. It had been an effort in futility to keep the blonde out of his bed. Justin somehow made life more bearable. With the blonde in his life it was no longer about going through the motions or merely getting by. Life was something he wanted to live, to embrace, and to enjoy. It was frightening and exhilarating all at the same time.


Brian considered their last year together. Looking back now he could clearly see the impact of the bashing hovering over them almost predicting their destiny.


Brian had wanted to help the blonde. Of course his motives had been mixed but then again they usually were. He cared for Justin and wanted the boy to recover but he had felt an enormous amount of guilt in the beginning. Over time he’d wanted Justin around for other reasons but in the beginning it had been about obligation and responsibility. After all it had been his fault that the blonde had been injured in the first place.


Brian had come to prom wanting to show Justin that he cared for him, but that moment of weakness had cost the blonde so much more than Brian could ever have hoped to give him. Justin would never be the artist that he would have been had he never experienced a bat to the head. His hand, though much improved, would never be the same. They all knew it and chose to ignore that ugly fact. But then again it was easy for Brian and the other well meaning members of Justin’s family to ignore it. It wasn’t their hand. They didn’t deal with a day in day out reminder that they were permanently fucked up. A constant fuck you from a homophobic asshole who served a few pathetic hours of community service in exchange for a chance to kill a queer.


In those first few weeks together, Brian had given Justin one shot to remember that night and failing that he had closed the book once and for all. If he couldn’t remember all of it then he wasn’t allowed to remember any of it. He wasn’t allowed to feel anything about it or utter a word about it. It was over. Move on. Only pussies and lezzies remained stuck in their past. Whenever Justin had manage to muster enough courage to talk about it, to vent his frustration or his anger, everyone, including Brian, politely but firmly told Justin to shut the fuck up and move on. They never uttered it quite so bluntly instead they used condescending, pity filled words that worked more to emasculate the man than to empower him.


Brian had told himself it was to help the young man move on and embrace his future, but in all honesty the weight of the guilt Brian had been carrying around had been more of a motivator than anything else. A part of Brian had known that Justin needed to talk about what had happened. He needed someone to help him sort out all that he was feeling. Brian had been just as sure that he was not the right person for that job.


He could still remember the few hesitant times that Justin had broached the subject. He winced as he remembered his sarcastic but effective reply that had squelched the conversation long before it even started. “Forget it Justin.”, “Don’t let him win.”, “You have to move on.”, “There’s no point dwelling on it.” Justin had grown quiet over time and had finally, much to Brian’s relief, dropped the subject entirely.


Brian had believed that it was entirely behind them until Rage had come along. The subject of the first issue of Rage had been a shock. Brian remembered clearly standing in he loft reprinting the pages for Justin and Michael. Out of curiosity, he’d begun reading Michael’s story and had recognized for the first time through Justin’s art the depth of Justin’s anger, shame and despair. He’d planned on talking to him or at the very least insisting that he talk to someone else about the incident, but then the fiddler had come onto the scene.


Thinking back on those dark and chaotic last days, Brian could clearly see now why Justin had reached for Ethan. He’d been struggling for months to overcome a devastating event and had just relived it through his art, he needed someone who could accept him, listen to him, and love him. He’d almost died. No wonder he felt a renewed determination to live and enjoy life. He wanted to be loved and hadn’t wanted to wait around to see if Brian would ever or could ever give him that. Justin had personally witnessed how fragile life could be. They all had to seize each day and that was exactly what the blonde had done. One day he had seized Ethan and the next he had walked away from Brian. He’d let go of what he really wanted for what he’d thought that he needed. He needed to be loved and he had been. Ethan might have been a cheating little manipulator but Brian had no doubt that he had loved Justin.


It was hard to fault the young man for leaving. After all he Brian had given him exactly what he had promised which was nothing. That thought caused the older man to pull away from the body now entangled with his own.


Brian sat up and watched as the light from the window reflected off of Justin’s porcelain skin. Justin’s brow was furrowed. Something in his dreams was troubling him. Brian wondered for a brief moment how many times he had been the cause of that same exact expression? He wondered how many more times he would be the cause. He never wanted to hurt Justin and yet time and again that was exactly what he had done. Justin had been through so much. Was it fair to ask him to endure more? Brian wondered if he loved the man enough to walk away. He wondered if he had the strength to.


For three years he had wished for a second chance and now his wish had been granted. He heard his mother’s voice in his head repeating a familiar phrase from his childhood. “Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.” Max’s words came back to him then as well. “You’ll let him down.” As much as he hated Collins, he knew that the man was probably right. Brian would fuck this up again. One night he’d do something thoughtless and hurt Justin. Except this time he wouldn’t just be hurting Justin, he would be hurting Stephen as well.


Justin had needed him four years ago. He had needed him to understand and bear the weight of a long and painful recovery. Brian had been there physically but had bailed emotionally. He knew that he had. He’d forced Justin to bottle up his feelings and heal from within. Except he hadn’t healed; he’d walked away. What would he do the next time Justin needed him emotionally? Would he be there for him? Max’s words filtered through once more.


Suddenly finding the room entirely too claustrophobic Brian eased out of the bed and reached for his discarded clothes. Justin shifted once more then settled. Breathing a sigh of relief, Brian grabbed his key card and wallet and headed out. He needed a drink. Actually he needed more than a drink.


As he was heading through the lobby he caught the eye of the concierge who was just leaving his post. Brian gave the man his famous leer and the young handsome man immediately moved in his direction.


“Can I help you sir?” He asked his tone sounding somewhat seductive on the ‘sir’.


“I was just about to ask you the same thing.” Brian breathed enjoying the way the man’s eyes were sparkling in the lobby lights.


“Is that a pick up line?” The younger man asked teasingly.


“No.” Brian shot back. “Wanna fuck?” He added suddenly all business.


“What?” The young man seemed a bit shocked.


“That’s a pick up line.” Brian reached for the man’s shirt pulling him until their bodies were mere inches away. “So what do you say?” Brian stared intently at the man’s mouth waiting for his response.


“Yeah.” The younger man’s breathed his breath hot and sweet on Brian’s face. “What’s your room number?” He asked.


“Doesn’t matter. We’re going to yours.” Brian pulled the man into a savage kiss. The young man smiled as they parted both breathless. He then began leading Brian back toward the elevator.


In the bar, Max Collins watched as the two men disappeared. He smiled over the top of his glass as someone stated “Last call” behind him. He knew that he had just been given a window of opportunity, but he had no idea how to use it to its best advantage. Mulling over his scotch he suddenly had an epiphany. Downing the rest of his drink, he placed a few bills on the table and stumbled toward the elevator. It was time for a little groveling.


****************************