Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Endings and Beginnings

Chapter 11

Michael noticed when Brian’s car pulled up. He was glad to see his friend finally. It felt like it had been weeks since they had hung out or gone to Babylon. He took another bite of his meatloaf. Ted and Emmett were arguing over some stupid movie that they had just seen. Ben was listening with unveiled amusement to the argument between the other two men.


Michael looked up to greet Brian and felt an old twinge in his heart as he noticed his friend’s companion. It was Justin.


“Brian.” Michael said trying to hide his disappointment that he had brought Justin with him. Brian noticed the look and from the way Justin stiffened he realized that Justin had as well. He felt a swell of anger at his old friend. ‘Here we go again.’ Brian thought.


“Hey guys.” Brian called. Ted and Emmett looked up as did Ben.


“Justin!!!” Emmett called jumping out of the booth and racing forward to embrace the smaller man. Justin smiled and hugged his friend back matching his enthusiasm. Never before had Brian been so happy to see Emmett or Ted as he had at that moment. Ted came forward as well to welcome Justin back to his old stomping grounds. Ted hugged Justin and stood for a moment holding the back of Justin’s head as he smiled into his face.


“We have really missed you.” He said with all sincerity. Ben rose as well. He smiled at Justin.


“Good to have you back. It hasn’t been the same around here without you.” He winked and Justin nodded his thanks.


“You guys going to eat?” Emmett asked signally for the waiter.


“No.” Justin began exchanging a look with Brian.


“Justin just wanted to come by and say hi to everyone.” Brian explained. Michael just stood there. He had yet to say anything to Justin. There was an awkward moment as everyone noticed his omission.


“How have you been Michael?” Justin asked. Brian never ceased to be amazed at Justin’s manners. He would have just told Mikey to fuck off and walked out, but Justin seemed to want to make an effort.


“Good. Really good!” He nodded enthusiastically


“I’m really glad things are going so well for you guys.” Justin smiled. He noticed the concerned look Michael was giving Brian and wondered if the truce between he and Michael had been conditional on his remaining in New York.


“Well we should be going.” Brian stated to no one in particular. He had noticed the look Michael was giving him and wanted to avoid the conversation for as long as possible.


“Oh do you have to. We’re all going to Babylon. Won’t you come with us Justin?” Emmett asked. He always loved dancing with Justin. They always had so much fun together.


“I’m not really up for that tonight, but thanks anyway. Maybe another time. It was really good to see you all again.” Justin started for the door but Brian’s hand on his arm stopped him. Brian whispered something in his ear. Justin stopped taking a long look into the older man’s eyes and said something too low for anyone to hear. Brian whispered something back. Justin seemed to resign himself and pushed through the door alone.


Brian turned back to see that the other men. He made his way toward Michael putting up his hand before the other man could utter a word.


“It’s none of your business so stay out of it.” Brian gave him a meaningful look.


“I just don’t want to see you get hurt again.” Michael whined.


“Stay out of it.” Brian reiterated before leaving the group.


“I thought I asked you to leave them alone. You said you were going to.” Ben sighed as he settled himself back into the booth.


“I am leaving them alone. But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to be concerned for Brian. I mean look what that little shit did to him the first time? I knew he was trouble that first night that they met.” Michael grumbled staring out as Brian’s car pulled away from the curb. “I’m not hurting anyone. I’m just looking out for my friend.”


Emmett moved to grab his sweater from the opposite side of the booth. “You know Michael this little thing you have for Brian has been cute and sometime sad to watch but tonight it stopped being either. You need to get some help.” He and Ted turned and left.


*************************


“You shouldn’t let him get to you.” Brian stated as he noticed Justin staring at the window as they made their way over to Deb and Vic’s.


“Why he gets to you?” Justin quipped back a little too quickly. Brian furrowed his brow wondering how to avoid going down this old path again.


“He’s my best friend and slightly overprotective.” Brian excused.


“He’s your best friend. He’s hated me since the day he met me.” Justin stated. “It just gets old.”


“And we both know why.” Brian said continuing to stare ahead.


“Because I loved you and he loved you.” Justin answered staring at the road ahead of them.


“No that’s not it.” Brian began, “It was because he knew you were different. He had seen me with lots of guys, but he knew from the moment you hit the scene that you were different. Just like I knew you were different.” Justin remained quiet not sure what to say in response.


“You had me. I put up a good fight but it didn’t take long for me to realize that you were under my skin.” He laughed remembering how he had tried to push Justin away but had taken him to bed time and again finding him completely irresistible.


“Yeah you did put up a good fight. All I wanted was to be with you. I guess in the end I just got greedy or maybe just needy.” He laughed but it was more to cover the pain than for humor. Brian was silent. They drove on so much left unsaid. They both realized that this was not the time to deal with all the issues of their past.


They pulled up in front of Deb and Vic’.


“Can we sit here for a minute?” Justin asked. Brian killed the engine and then waited. He heard Justin’s slow breathing. He looked over and saw that he had his eyes closed and was resting his head against the back of the seat. He sat there watching him for a moment as the light from the street lamp played softly over his features. He remembered the first time he had seen him. He had been so young, so innocent and so beautiful. He was still young and beautiful but life had stripped him of his innocence. Sadly Brian realized he had had a hand in that himself.


“Penny?” Justin asked turning his head towards Brian and opening his eyes.


“Five years ago you under a street lamp.” Justin smiled remembering that night.


“I was scared shitless.” He laughed.


“Good thing.” Brian quipped and Justin threw a playful punch in his direction.


“Why did you take me home?” He asked.


“So I could fuck you.” Brian said speaking to Justin as if he were an idiot.


“Well duh.” Justin rolled his eyes. “No but seriously, you had been to Babylon. You could have anyone. Why some stupid twink?”


Brian swallowed hard remembering how many times he had allowed Michael to call Justin that behind his back. He felt ashamed that he hadn’t stood up for his lover then. He knew Justin could have handled it, but he hadn’t even told him about what Michael had said. He had put his friendship with Michael above that of his lover. They had been lovers. He had tried to say that they weren’t anything to each other, but the sex was different when he was with Justin. It felt different. It meant something.


“It meant something.” Without realizing it he spoke the words aloud staring off into space.


“What meant something? Taking me home?” Justin asked trying to follow the man’s thinking.


Brian realized what he had done, but didn’t feel like coming up with a lie to cover.


“The sex. It meant something. Being with you meant something.” He said not looking at the man. Justin’s mouth dropped open.


“Holy shit Brian did you just admit to caring about me? Someone call the fag rag this is front page shit.” He punched Brian in the arm teasingly. Brian grabbed his arm and started a tug of war as he pushed the man away and he continued to mockingly attack him.


“You tell anyone and I will have your balls for breakfast.” Brian growled.


“You wish.” Justin smirked still struggling. Brian pushed forward pinning Justin to his seat their faces mere inches apart. He knew he would kiss him. He knew he couldn’t help himself. He would have to kiss him. He had thought about it too many times over the years not to. Justin leaned up and captured Brian’s lips. Brian felt Justin’s tongue as it softly almost hesitantly entered his mouth. He parted his lips further deepening the kiss to make sure there was no misunderstanding. He wanted this. He felt a wave of heat surge through his body as they fought against each other tasting, smelling and feeling what they had both only dreamed of for the last three years. Brian moaned into to Justin’s mouth causing the smaller man to pull back.


Their eyes locked. Brian saw the tears shining in Justin’s clear blue eyes. He reached up to brush one tear away.


“It’s ok. You haven’t done anything wrong.” He whispered. “It was just a kiss.”


Justin shook his head lowering his gaze. “No Brian it was more than that.” Raising his eyes to Brian’s deep hazel gaze he whispered, “It meant something.”