Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Chapter Ten



August 2012

Brian sat down at the small drafting table in his office with a blueprint of the house. Since they had talked about what they were going to do with the large house, Brian had been trying to find some guys on base to help with the construction. The last thing he wanted to do was spend too much money on it. Justin had already insisted on making sure that at least two were furnished, maybe all three. Brian could only shake his head at his husband’s antics. At least it was keeping Justin busy which is what he had hoped for. Since his plan for Justin to be an artist with his gallery openings in New York had failed, he wanted Justin to have something to occupy his time while Brian was away. This time it was Justin’s idea, and Brian loved it.

He only hoped it kept Justin out of trouble while he was at it. He wasn’t sure how they would chose their ‘tenants’ but Brian was positive that they could think of something. Hell, he knew someone who worked in Intelligence who could do a background check on them. The last thing he needed was someone who would cause Justin problems, his husband didn’t need the added stress.

The caretaker was working out nicely. One of the men on base who had recently retired had been looking for something to occupy his time. Justin had instantly fallen in love with Harry as he likes to be called. The man had been with the Navy 26 years before he got out after his wife passed away. It was the best of both worlds for Brian. Harry not only was in the military but also a spouse of one, Brian hoped he could help be a link between the two for Justin, help Justin through the tough days and years ahead.

“I was thinking about having a small community area.” Justin stated as he walked into Brian’s office. “You know, a place where we can all just hang out and stuff.”

“I know what a community area is, and do you really think that’s a good idea?” Brian asked turning around in his chair to look at Justin. Justin was standing there in his oldest jeans and t-shirt, with paint splatters covering him. Brian saw small paint streaks on Justin’s cheek, and he could only laugh. “And here I thought you painted for a living. Don’t you know you’re supposed to paint the walls not you?”

“Well it would make things a lot easier if you would help. You’re taller than me, you could reach the high ceilings.” Justin answered back with a challenge in his stance. “Unless you’re afraid to get dirty, Navy Boy.”

“That’s one challenge I will have to take you up on …. Later. Right now, we have to figure out how in the hell we’re going to do this. The kitchen for one. We may need to add another one in. I can’t see myself trying to sit down to a quiet dinner with you, and having someone else coming in. And the damn hot tub is off limits. We’re going to have to move that up here. I’m not letting anyone else in there.” Brian began as he turned back to the blueprints.

“Maybe we should have a pool added. You know, keep the hot tub for ourselves, enclosed with a lock on the door, and they can have that.” Justin suggested.

Brian ran his hand through is hair. “Do I even want to know how much this is going to cost?”

“Nope. But you did find those guys on base who would help with some of the stuff. They knocked down one of the walls just this morning. I think that one will be for a family.” Justin looked over Brian’s shoulder looking at the paper in front of him. “The new wall will be here,” he said pointing to one area. “Then they will have their own bathroom, two actually they can have access to.”

“We need to look into a small parking area. The garage is ours, they can park their cars outside.” Brian added as he tried to figure out where he would put it.

“See, I knew this would work out. It’s keeping your mind busy, which is good. We wouldn’t want you to get soft on your time off.”

“Getting soft has never been a problem for me when you’re around, Pretty boy.” Brian stated pulling Justin down to his lap. “I could show you just how soft I am… or not.”

“I love the way you think, Navy boy.”

~~~***~~~***~~~***
October 2012

“Can you believe we’ve been together for two years?” Justin said as he sat down at the breakfast table with Brian.

“With this construction it feels more like ten years.” Brian grumbled. “I thought we agreed no hammering when I was home.”

“But you’re never home during the day. How was I supposed to know you had this day off?” Justin reasoned. He pushed the paper that Brian was reading out of his hands and sat on the other man’s knee wrapping his arms around Brian’s neck. Kissing him softly “Hmmm, peanut butter and coffee, my favorite.” He said.

“You’re just trying to butter me up because you want something. Now out with it. It may be two years, but I’ve been on to you for most of that time.”

“What makes you think I want something?” Justin asked.

“Could it be that pile of tile samples by your plate?” Brian mused. “I told you, we need a nice apartment, but we don’t need a palace.”

“But it’s not like it will be money wasted. Think of this as an investment.”

“It was supposed to be an investment in my peace of mind. Something to keep you from wanting to learn to skydive in the nude or something.”

“Been there done that.” Justin smirked. “These tiles are for our foyer.”

“Who needs a foyer?” Brian grumbled. Relenting he kissed Justin’s nose. “I told you that you could do what you wanted pretty boy. As long as you don’t guild the lily too much I’ll be happy.”

“If I’d know that Navy Boys were so easy I would have gone for one years before.” Justin said with a laugh.

“Instead you tried out that runt of an army asshole, the banjo player.”

Justin rolled his eyes. Brian was never going to let him forget his big mistake called Ethan.

~~~***~~~***~~~***
November 2012

“Harry, are you sure you don’t need any help?” Justin looked around, he didn’t want Brian to hear him talking to Harry.

“Justin, it’s just a one room cabin. It’s not that hard and I was a ship’s carpenter for more years than you’ve been walking around. If I need help, then I’ll ask for it.” He ruffled Justin’s hair. He knew Justin hated it, but loved the attention. The kid was like some kind of puppy dog. You’d think he’d never had a father or something.

“But it has to be perfect. It’s his Christmas present.”

“Rest assured, it will be perfect and it will be finished by Christmas. Now did you order the things I asked for?”

“Yes, you can pick them up on Tuesday.” Justin looked around, anxious not to get caught.

“Don’t worry; Brian is in the hot tub.” Harry said. “I heard the jets start up ten minutes ago.”

“This is so cool; all of the apartments are almost finished. The guys from the base sure work fast.”

“They could use the extra money for Christmas. There’s going to some real happy families this Christmas thanks to this job of yours.”

“I guess the Navy doesn’t pay that great eh?” Justin said. “I kind of feel bad sometimes because we have so much money. But it was from my folks, they died when I was nineteen and between life insurance and family money, well it kind of added up.”

“How does your Brian handle that?” Harry was curious.

“He comes up with ‘make work projects for Justin’ like this one.” Justin laughed. “But I don’t mind, it’s fun. I’ve learned a lot about house design and what goes into the construction and soon I’ll be a landlord. That’s going to be kind of fun.”

“Well you know what Willie Nelson says” Harry paused for a moment and thought. “You can only take with you to Heaven what you give away. I always liked that philosophy myself. Not that I’ve had a lot to give away, but I do what I can, always have.”

“That’s real nice Harry.” Justin sighed. “I guess I’ll go find Brian. He’s a bit cranky about the construction.”

Harry burst out laughing. “Now that’s what I call an understatement. I was on my deck this morning and watched that man of yours running for all he was worth. I could tell he was running off his frustration.”

“You get up at that gawd awful time too?”

“It’s the Navy son, that’s part of it.”

“I’m glad I’m just a Navy spouse. Did your wife get up with you every morning?”

“Yes she did. Every darn one of them. By the time I was out of the shower, my coffee was ready and she was starting my breakfast.”

“Awesome. I wish I could wake up like that. I tried, but Brian is even crankier in the morning. I’d probably pour the coffee in his lap.”

“I’ll have to admit young Justin, I’ve had more than one cup of coffee on my lap. Makes a man mighty nervous around a woman with something in her hand.”

Justin giggled. “I guess it would.” He looked at Harry. “Do you think if the construction is all done by Christmas that I could have the guys and their families over for a Christmas party to say thank you?” Justin was a bit nervous. “I mean would they think I was weird or something?”

“I think that’s a fine idea Justin. You could have it in the common room. It’s a nice comfortable room and it will kind of be like a test of the facilities.”

“Are you staying here over Christmas Harry?”

“No I’m heading south for the holidays. The wife and I always went somewhere warm on our Christmas leave. I can’t really see that changing. We never did have a family to play in the snow with.”

“Brian and I have a house in Baja. You’d be welcome to join us there. There’s tons of room. And the scuba diving is great. We’ll do some diving.”

Harry had heard rumors of Brian’s Christmas present to Justin, so he didn’t think the two of them would be spending the whole two weeks in Baja. “Well, that sounds very nice Justin. I might take you up on the offer. Though don’t you and Brian want to spend at least a week here in your new home? There might even be some snow.”

“Do you think Brian would want to stay?” Justin asked.

“Well there is your Christmas present for Brian. It would be hard to transport.”

“That’s true.” Justin thought for a moment. “Maybe I should see if he wants to stay here for at least the first week. You could have the Baja place to yourself. You’d be doing us a favor checking it out.” Justin knew the old man would be too proud to accept the free use of the house otherwise.

“I think I just might do that. I’m sure there are lots of little things I could fix up and make ship shape.” Harry looked pleased with the idea.

“Great, I’ll tell Brian. See you Harry.” Justin turned and headed for the house. It looked the same on the outside but once inside there was the world of difference. The grand foyer and part of the drawing room was now the common area. A double door of carved oak on the ground floor was the entrance to Brian and Justin’s apartment. They pretty much had the entire ground floor. A door off to the side of the staircase led to the basement where there was a storage area for the tenants, a laundry room and where Brian’s exercise room was, though that could only be accessed from Brian and Justin’s apartment. Up the stairs to the second floor, two apartments had been made and on the third floor one more apartment. All of them were fully contained apartments. The second floor ones were two bedrooms each and the third floor apartment had three. It had after all been a very large house.

Justin had managed to keep the main integrity of all the rooms so the ceilings soared and the plaster and moldings were ornate. He was very pleased with the results. His and Brian’s apartment had the most obvious face lift. He’d wanted an old fashioned look, yet Brian liked clean sleek lines. The compromise they’d arrived at worked wonderfully. Justin had his studio, Brian his office/den, they had a huge master bedroom and bath as well as two guest rooms, each with their own bathroom. There was a kitchen and open concept living and dining room filled with the sleek Italian furnishings that Brian had coveted in the showrooms. Outside their bedroom, Justin had walled off a section of the garden making the hot tub and rose garden their own private area. He liked to refer to it as their ‘secret garden’ because it was built in such a way that no one would ever know it was there.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

“It’s a beautiful model, Brian. Barely 3 years old.” Chris Ericson stated. He had just officially retired from the Navy a little over two months ago, and had started his move back to the west coast where he was originally from.

“When you said boat, I was thinking a small speed boat, not… Christ, this is a fucking house.” Brian stated as he began to walk through the 70’ houseboat. “This really wasn’t what I had in mind.”

“I’m sure it’s not. But think about it. It’s a tax exempt, plus I think that once you get your house open to the public… you will want some peace and quiet.” Chris followed Brian through the boat.

Brian had to admit he did like it. It was a Cruise Craft 7015 2010 Edition. The lower level had two staterooms, a fireplace, and huge galley. But the upstairs is what really caught Brian’s attention. There was a study area where they could just relax, a hot tub, and king sized bed. Brian knew that(HE WOULD BUY IT,) no matter what the cost. “Alright. You do up the papers and I’ll sign.”

“I knew you’d like it.” Chris went down to the lower deck as Brian walked out onto the foreword deck. Chris had known that it would fit his replacement’s tastes, and it would fit in perfectly with what he had discovered about the couple. When he had seen Brian and Justin together, he had seen him and his wife when they had started out. He could see the love that they had for one another, and he knew that they would last a long time. That’s why he only asked Brian about buying the boat, and he was willing to cut the price nearly in half.

Of course he knew that if Brian had known what the boat really went for, Chris would be in for a fight. But Brian deserved this, and Chris was more than willing to give it to the man.

Brian stood out looking at the ocean. It was cold on the Atlantic this time of the year, and he knew that they wouldn’t be able to really use it until spring, but he knew that Justin would love it. They could escape; even take the boat down the coast. Just the two of them, or four if they decided to invite Lindsay and Daphne. All Brian knew was that he had to get this boat. They deserved this damn boat. Pulling out his checkbook, Brian began to fill it out.

Wouldn’t Justin be surprised? Now all Brian had to do was find a way to keep this a secret until Christmas.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

Brian headed toward the phones located at the pier, knowing he had to let Justin know what was going on. He hadn’t seen Peters or South so he had to find another way to let his husband know he would be gone. He heard the phone ring and switch over to voicemail. “I hope you’re just busy, Pretty boy. Listen, I can’t talk right now, I’m on my way out. We just got called up and I have to go. I should be home in a week. I’m sorry that I won’t be there for the interviews, I wish I could. Just be careful. If you don’t think you can handle them put them off until I get back. And for god sake Justin, make sure you get the names to Mark and Jason so they can run them. The last thing we need is some damn ax murder or something living there. I love you, and I’ll see you soon.” Brian stated as he hung up the phone. He had wished he could have reached Justin instead of voice mail, but figured it was for the best.

He knew that if he had actually reached his husband he would have talked longer and would never have gotten on the transport. He had to trust Justin’s judgment and pray that his lover would make the right choices.

Picking up his pack and the rest of his gear, Brian made his way over to the jeep that would take them to the pier. If there was one thing that Brian had learned thus far is that he hated the tight quarters of a submarine. That was one job he knew he could never do for any length of time. He often wondered what Justin would think of it. Would his lover come up with some tale of romance in some underwater world? Justin did a great job of finding that underwater cave in California. Brian wondered if they would have something like that around here. He would most definitely have to start a search or something to find one. Even if it was miles down the coast. They could take the boat out and look for caves.

Shaking his head in order to clear the images of their diving experiences, Brian turned his attention back to the matter at hand. He had a mission to go on… then he could think about underwater caves and his little water sprite.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

Justin was nervous. Brian was called away and he had to do the interviews himself. He had thought about postponing them but decided not to. He was after all an adult. He heard a car door slam. It had to be the first people. The lady’s name was Mrs. Novotny and she said her son lived with her. Justin was picturing having a child around the house. It made him smile.

With a big sigh to strengthen him, Justin answered the door when he heard the knock. “Hi, I’m Justin Taylor-Kinney.” He began.

“Well for fuck sake aren’t you just adorable.” Debbie Novotny breezed in trailed by her son who had to be at least thirty. “This is my son Michael” she waved her hand toward the man who stood behind her.

Justin smiled at them both. “Come on into the common room” he led them to the tastefully decorated room filled with comfortable furniture, a card table and bookcases.

“Sunshine this is a wonderful room, but it could use some color.” Debbie began. “Maybe a few chakis on the mantle over there.” She pinched his cheek for emphasis. “Sit down Michael, don’t just stand there.”

“Can you tell me a little bit about yourself.?” Justin was floundering. He realized immediately that he hadn’t a clue how to conduct an interview.

“Let’s just get a peek at this apartment first honey. No point in boring you to death with my life story if it isn’t suitable.”

“Sure” Justin stood up. “There are two on the second floor, both of them are just slightly different from one another but both have two bedrooms. And there is a three bedroom suite on the third floor.”

“I want to see the one on the third floor.” Debbie said. “My brother Vic comes down from New York every now and then to visit. I don’t like him sleeping on the sofa.”

“It’s right up these stairs.”

“But Ma, the third floor. There’s no elevator.” Michael piped up.

“What, your legs are broken? Hell I work all day in the diner and I don’t have a problem with a few stairs.” She looked at Justin. “A bit of stair climbing is good for your heart, isn’t that right Sunshine?”

“I guess” Justin said when he realized she was talking to him. “It’s a nice apartment. There are two bathrooms and the kitchen is great. I like to cook so I made sure that all the kitchens are big.”

“A man after my own heart.” Debbie beamed at him. “Wait until you taste my lasagna, it’s to die for. And my brother Vic’s coconut cake – mmmmmm mmmm. The best.” She kissed her two fingers with a smacking sound.

The three of them walked through the door off the third floor foyer. “Here it is.” Justin said.

They looked around the cheery spacious rooms. Debbie poked into the cupboards, ran the taps, flushed the toilets and generally investigated every nook and cranny. Michael checked out one bedroom and then stood with Justin waiting.

“So you live with your mom?” Justin asked trying to make conversation.

“So what if I do?”

“I was just asking.” Justin looked around, hoping Debbie would appear soon. “It’s nice that you can help her out.”

“Hell, I’m helping him out Sunshine.” Debbie had appeared and overheard their conversation. “Mikey bought himself a little business downtown, a comic book store and he’s having a problem finding money to live on. Of course he could bunk down in the back room of the store, but I said, come on home honey and move in with me.”

“Thanks for blabbing Ma.” Michael muttered.

“I like this place. I can see myself living here. Let’s talk rent.” Debbie said. “I’ll tell you right now, what you’re asking just isn’t in my budget. I can pay half of that, but you’ll have to wait until after Christmas for the deposit. Vic has been sick and all my tip money has been going to help buy his meds.” She looked at her son. “And Mikey hasn’t got a pot to piss in, isn’t that right sweetie?” she pinched her son’s cheek and shook his head.

Justin couldn’t take his eyes off of her long nails like glistening red talons. He liked that she was wearing probably every gay themed lapel pin that had ever been made. And she was kind of loveable in an overblown sort of way. And then there was Harry. He was sure Harry would understand so he said. “That’s okay, I’ll put the deposit in for you, you can pay me back later.”

Debbie rushed over and enveloped Justin in a smothering hug. “I knew this was my lucky day Sunshine. You come on down to the diner any time and I’ll buy you a coke. Is there a lease to sign or something? We can move in on January 2nd. I have to work on the first. The bank took our house from us so they can darn well wait an extra day for us to leave.”

~~~***~~~***~~~***

Justin hid a yawn behind his hand as he listened to Mr. and Ms. Vincent Advent go on and on about their background. They had arrived one LONG hour before, and Justin knew within the first twenty seconds that they just would not do. But he decided that he would give them the benefit of the doubt. He was after all, trying to find some good tenants who would be willing to pay. . He knew that he already had the Novotny’s, he had hoped that after that first stroke of luck he would have had more.

However as the minutes began to drag on, Justin knew that if these two moved in he wouldn’t have to worry about them being murderers, he would commit suicide. “Our son, Joseph, is currently at Yale. He’s working on his law degree. Oh and our beautiful daughter, I’m sure you would love her, is a doctor.” Ms. Advent stated.

Justin could see where this was going, and knew he had to put a stop to it right away. There was no way in hell he was going to have someone try to ‘convert’ him… and they were not getting their little paws on Brian. “That would be nice. I have a couple of other interviews, and I will be getting back to you with my decision.” Justin stated quickly, getting up from his chair and ushering them out. Closing the door behind them, Justin leaned against it and took a deep breath. “There is no way. ‘She’s a doctor,’” he said in a high pitched imitation of the woman’s voice. “Fuck that.”

Heading back to the table, he quickly crossed off their name from the list. He wanted to prove to Brian he could do this on his own. But Justin was beginning to wonder if that was such a bright idea. “three down… twenty to go.” He stated as he waited for the next potential.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

“The backyard would be a great place to have a huge party. My band could play. You don’t mind us practicing here right. I mean, my last landlord called the fucking cops on us. And Jimmy, well he already has a record, which is totally bullshit, you know.” Justin sat there listening to this young college student go on and on about her life, and what she would LOVE to see. He knew the moment she opened her mouth that this would not work. Brian wanted quiet, not some rich spoiled brat. “Of course my folks, well they just don’t understand, they just want me to be someone, they don’t understand…”

“I understand. I’ll call you by the end of the week and let you know our decision.” Justin stated quickly leading her out the door. ‘Seven down.’ He thought. Justin was beginning to wonder if he would ever find someone before he went insane.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

By day three, Justin actually thought he might have found someone. Someone who both he and Brian could get along with. He sat back and starting asking her questions. She was a nice young lady, who seemed to have a good head on her shoulders. The only problem was… she was on probation for trying to kill her roommate. So she was out of the question.

Justin sat back running his hand through his hair. He was beginning to wonder if he would ever find anyone besides the Novotny’s. “Hello?” came a quiet question from the doorway. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering if this is the place with the room for rent?”

Justin looked up at the door and saw this tall, thin man in a bright pink shirt, and pokadotted pants. “This is the place. I’m Justin Kinney, and you are?”

The man breathed a sigh of relief as he stepped into the room. His light southern accent brought a smile to Justin’s face, and the obvious pride the man displayed was like a breath of fresh air. “Emmett Honeycutt. I just moved here from Mississippi, and I saw this little ad asking for applicants, so I figured why not.”

“Can you tell me a little about yourself?” Justin asked the colorful, kind man before him. Justin found he had an instant like of this man, a very good feeling about how this could turn out.

“Well, as I said, I’m from a small little town in Mississippi. I just had to get out of there, you know. They were blinded by my light,” Emmett laughed. “I just knew that there was somewhere where my flame could burn bright and beautiful, so here I am.” Emmett leaned in a little so he could whisper to Justin, like he was going to tell Justin the secrets of the world. “Besides, I had heard these things about Navy boys… and they look sexy in those uniforms. Hot and buff.”

“Don’t I know it.” Justin stated leaning back with a laugh, shaking his head. “Well we have on the second floor, two apartments. Each has two bed rooms, a small kitchen, and private bath.”

“Sounds fabulous. When I saw the listing in the paper, I knew that this was a match made in heaven… then of course when I saw your home, it was like a fairy tale come true. I don’t have a lot of money right now, since I’ve just started my job at the clothing store down town. You know the one, Toro’s?” Emmett stated, knowing that Justin had to know of the place. “But if you want to know the truth, I’m only biding my time until I can start my own party planning business.”

“You like to plan parties?” Justin asked thinking ahead of what he might be able to use Emmett for. He had already decided that no matter how much he had to go down in the price, Emmett would be living here. This man had a way of bringing light – so to speak – to the dreary place. And Justin knew that when Brian wasn’t there, the place needed something to keep it warm. Emmett seemed to fit the bill. Well him and Debbie. He couldn’t wait to see these two meet. “Well how about I take you upstairs so you can look it over, and if you like it, we can work out a payment plan that would fit your budget.”

“So… I can stay?” Emmett placed his hands over his chest and then quickly got out of his chair to wrap Justin in a hug. “You are the fairy princess, who has come to watch over all of us. Thank-you. I promise you that I will be the best tenant you could have.”

“I’m sure you will. Come on.” Justin stated as heled Emmett up the stairs to his new home.

When Emmett looked at the room, he turned back to Justin with a huge smile on his face. “For the first time in my life… I am the Princess. The castle, the land, everything I could have ever dreamed of. Where do I sign?”

~~~***~~~***~~~***

Justin went to bed satisfied with his day of interviewing. After Emmett had become one of the tenants, he had then become a friend. They had spent the afternoon raiding Justin’s store of furniture he wasn’t using and pulling and carrying it into Emmett’s new apartment. The young southern man was a welcome breath of fresh air for Justin. They both agreed that they were meant to be the sisters neither of them had had.

Justin now had family and it felt damn good. Of course he would have to somehow slip the difference in both Emmett’s and Debbies rent from his housekeeping allowance and into the rent account. He didn’t need Brian to get all bent out of shape. But it felt good helping where he could and it wasn’t like he really needed the money. What he needed were people around him to help him survive Brian’s absences.

Justin woke up the next day and was sitting in his sunny kitchen drinking a coffee and wondering what the day was going to bring as far as prospective tenants were concerned when a tapping at the window caught his attention. He looked over startled to see a tall woman, with long dark hair and a five o’clock shadow of a beard waving to him through the window.

Curious, Justin went over to the back door and looked out. Gingerly walking toward him in her high heels and tripping over her long skirts, the woman said. “Hi there, I’m Mysterious Marilyn; I was on my way home from the clubs when all of a sudden I had to come here about my new residence. Oh by the way, Brian is just fine, there was a bit of trouble yesterday, but nothing he couldn’t handle. Isn’t it marvelous the way his men all look up to him?”

“You know Brian?” Justin was astonished. He couldn’t picture Brian knowing someone like this.

“Well, dear, I ‘know’ him through the oracles. But I’ve never personally met the man. Though he does appear rather handsome and of course he’s completely devoted you. You are a lucky man.”

Justin grinned. This person was going to be fun to have around. “So you’re here about the apartment?”

“Didn’t I mention that dear? Yes, though I would much prefer a different shade of blue in the second bathroom, but that can fixed, it’s only paint after all.”

Justin looked confused. “You’ve seen it?”

“Oracles dear” Mysterious Marilyn tapped her head. “We commune a great deal of the time. I must say you’ve made a wonderful choice for my flat mates. Why Emmett will brighten up our lives and Debbie will of course be the mother I never had. Now Michael, he’s a hard one to read, we’ll just have to find him a love interest – I do believe he’s just a tad too close to his mommy. Every gay boy needs a mommy, but really there are limits.”

Justin smiled at Mysterious Marilyn. “Do you want coffee?”

“Oh, I never touch the stuff dear, but I will have some of that wonderful Chamomile tea you have in the top cupboard over there. I do love that brand.” Mysterious Marilyn sat down at the table. “Careful Justin, the ooops,” water from the tea kettle spilled on the floor. “Sorry, sometimes I just don’t have time to warn people.”

“So the apartment will be ready on January 2nd, will that be okay?” Justin asked as he wiped up the spill.

“Yes, that’s fine, I understand with your Brian being called out on New Year’s Day, you’ll be a bit too upset to have all of us moving in the same day as he leaves. But I believe Emmett will be over about an hour after Brian leaves. He’ll make you smile.”

Justin beamed. Mysterious Marilyn was going to be great to have around. “I suppose you’re on a limited budget too.” Justin figured he might as well get this part over with. He was beginning to suspect that all of his tenants would be wealthy in personality and not money.

“Now that you mention it,” Mysterious Marilyn said. “I was going to discuss that with you.”

~~~***~~~***~~~***

“I’m home, honey.” Brian called out to Justin as he stepped into the house. He looked around and was impressed with how far the renovations had come in the week he had been gone.

Justin came up behind Brian and wrapped his arms around his husband, happy to have his lover there with him again, and enjoying the feel of Brian’s body next to his. “How was work, honey?” Justin asked as he walked around Brian so he could pull him in for a kiss. “I missed you.”

“I can tell.” Brian said with a smile across his lips. “How about you show me just how much.” Brian lifted Justin up over his shoulders and carried his boy to their bedroom, slamming the door closed behind him. “Are you ready for round one?”

“Make love to me, Brian. Please.” Justin begged as he began to remove Brian’s clothes. They made love passionately, releasing all the pent up emotions they had been building for a week apart. After the initial lust had been appeased, Brian laid his head on Justin’s chest and lightly ran his hands over Justin’s body. “I love reunion sex.”

“Lust will do that.” Brian laughed. “So how did the interviews go?”

“Really well. I think I found the right ones. They are great, Brian. I know you will like them.” Justin told Brian, praying he was right and Brian would, if nothing else, learn to love them as much as Justin had. “I figure that everything will be done by the first of January and they will be moving in shortly there after.”

“Good, that should keep you out of trouble.” Brian said with a smile. “I was wondering something.”

“What?” Justin asked wondering about the sudden change in Brian’s voice. He seemed a little shy, and that’s not something that Justin would relate to Brian.

Brian leaned up on his elbow so he could look down at his husband. “If I gave you your Christmas present now, would you be upset?”

“Now? Why?” Justin asked, excitement filling his body. He had wondered what Brian was going to get him for Christmas this year, since his lover had been extremely quiet about the whole holiday.

Brian got up from the bed and reached into his bag, pulling out an envelope. “I was hoping we could use it for a couple of days around Christmas.”

Justin grabbed the envelope from his lover and ripped it open. Inside was a dock assignment, and Justin knew immediately that Brian had gotten them a boat. They had talked about it often since they had started diving together; they both knew it would be cheaper in the long run to get something instead of renting all the time. Plus having their own boat would allow Justin a chance to learn how to drive one. He reached in with a huge smile on his face to get the other documents out of the envelope. Pulling out a picture of the boat, Justin felt tears fill his eyes. It was his dream boat, one he had always seen out on the waters and dreamed that one day he would have one. “Brian…” he began getting caught up in his emotions. “I love it.”

“I hoped you would. Chris had to get rid of it before he headed out west, so he asked if I wanted to take a look at it. Once I saw it I knew that you had to have it.” Brian explained. “I knew it was meant for us. See?” Brian asked as he pointed to the ship’s name. ‘Avalon’ was painted in a beautiful script on the side of the large houseboat. “It’s our safe house at sea.”

“Thank-you. I love it. Can we go now? I want to see.” Justin stated as he climbed out of bed to quickly get dressed.

Brian shook his head as he pulled his pants up from beside the bed and pulled them on. “You do know we have to prep it before we go out, so you can forget doing that for at least a week.” Brian added as he began to get caught up in Justin’s enthusiasm.

“I can wait. I want to see it now.” Justin was already at the door, as Brian reached down to pull on his shirt and start with his shoes. “Are you coming!?” Justin yelled from down stairs.

Brian could only shake his head and roll his eyes. “Now he decides to get dressed fast.” Pulling on his shoe, Brian laughed as he heard Justin call for him again. “Coming dear.” He knew that he had made the right choice, and hopefully they would have many hours in their small section of paradise.

~~~***~~~***~~~
Christmas Eve – 2012

“That was a nice idea Justin, letting Harry use the Baja house while we’re here. He was thrilled completely. He kept insisting he’d take his tools and put everything shipshape for us.” Brian lay on the sofa, his head in Justin’s lap. Justin was running his fingers through Brian’s hair, enjoying the softness of it and the closeness of his husband.

“I told him he could use it whenever he wanted to get away. He said he and his wife used to go someplace warm every winter leave.”

“Hmmmmm” Brian was falling asleep, he was so content. Justin was reminded of big old house cat with a loud purr as he looked down at his spouse and continued to ‘pat’ him. “Did you give the names of our tenants to Mark or Jason yet? We need to get them checked out.”

“I will, don’t worry.” Justin replied though he thought ‘fat chance’ as he remembered his motley crew of tenants.

“So when do we leave to spend a few days on the Avalon?” Brian asked lazily.

“Well, it is Christmas Eve; you do have to get your gift.” Justin leaned down to kiss Brian.

“That’s right, there doesn’t seem to be anything with my name on it under the tree.” Brian observed. He looked over at the bright twinkling lights on the small tree in the centre of their foyer.

Justin changing the subject smiled at him. “The guys and their wives, sorry spouses and kids seemed to have fun yesterday.”

“Yea, they did. But your Santa Clause was a tad over the top wasn’t he?” Brian asked. “I mean Santa doesn’t normally wear glitter eye shadow, at least not as far as I know.” Unknown to Brian, Justin had asked Emmett to be Santa Claus. The man needed the extra job and he’d helped cater the party besides. Luckily Brian had been busy on base for the last couple of days and he’d paid no attention to the activities for the party. Justin was thankful for Mysterious Marilyn’s heads up regarding Brian. He knew he would be prepared for him to leave New Year’s Day. In fact he’d already secreted a small box of home made fudge in his duffle bag to share with the guys.

Justin had given each family a gift certificate for dinner at one of the nicer restaurants in the area and each child was presented with a gift from Santa. It had taken a lot of questions for Justin to find out the ages and sex and likes and dislikes of all the children involved, but he was glad he’d gone to the trouble. Christmas was definitely for children.

“Was Harry okay with his plane ticket to Baja?” Justin asked shyly. He hadn’t known what to get the old man and had finally settled on the plane ticket. He had told him it was sort of a bonus for all the hard work he’d been doing on Brian’s gift.

“Yes, the old guy even had a tear in his eye.” Brian said. “I think you have a soft spot for old sailors.”

“Some more than others.” Justin agreed.

“So when do I get my gift?” Brian couldn’t imagine what Justin had bought for him. He’d taken to asking the men who had been working on the house and even Harry, but none of them would tell him though Brian suspected they all knew.

“At midnight” Justin said. “I’ll give it to you at midnight.”

“It’s eleven forty five now.” Brian reminded his husband. “Where is it?” he sounded like an anxious little boy and the thought made Justin smile to himself. Brian Kinney had come a long way from the man who distained holidays.

“We have to get our coats and boots on.” Justin said.

“It’s in the garage?” Brian asked. But he got up from his comfortable spot and stretched. He was too curious not to find out.

“No”

“Is it in the tool shed?”

“No”

“Where is it then?”

“Past the apple orchard.”

“Where the creek runs?” Brian was very curious now. “Why would you hide it there?”

“It’s not really hidden, that’s just where it is.” Justin was pulling on his boots. There had been a few feet of snow fall during the day.

The two men left from the rear door of their apartment. Hand in hand they began to follow a pathway that had been shoveled. Justin gave a silent cheer of thanks to Ron, one of the construction crew, who must have come over when he’d seen the snow falling. He had told Justin he would.

The night air was full of magic. The stars glowed, keeping pace with the shining moon. The fresh snow sparkled like diamonds heavy on the tree branches. It was as if Justin had ordered the scene set for his presentation. As they walked Justin began to talk.

“A while back, when you came back from your first bad mission, you told me you needed space to regroup. I know that now we’ll have a house full of people and lots of activity and I suspect that you have made a mental note to just stay away and not come home until you can face our life here. Well I don’t want that. I need to know you are safe and I need to be close to you. It’s for both of our sake. I won’t always be able to hold you and help you heal but I wanted you to have a place that was yours and only yours.” As Justin said the last word, they reached the top of a small hill.

A serene and calming scene opened up before the two of them. The icy cold water of the small creek, swollen slightly with winter run off, rushed past a small cabin. Brian could see smoke coming from the chimney. He was mesmerized by it all. Through tear filled eyes he walked down the path until he reached the small house. A screened in porch with a swing almost filled one end. He could imagine sitting there watching the creek as he decompressed. Justin caught up with him and handed him two keys. “These are the only keys to your fortress. No one else has one, not even me.”

Brian unlocked the door and stepped inside. Justin stayed out until Brian turned and “Justin come in, I’m inviting you in.” Justin grinned and joined his husband. Together they looked at what the old ship’s carpenter had built.

Inside was reminiscent of an old ocean liner – the captain’s quarters. The finest of oak and mahogany was used to build a captain’s bed into one wall. Where deep blue velvet duvets looked warm and inviting. There was an easy chair and a built in desk. Book shelves lined the walls filled with copies of some of Brian’s favorite books. A cheerful fire glowed in the fireplace and over the mantle was an oil painting Justin had done of the two of them on their wedding day. He’d captured their love perfectly on the canvas.

“Through that door” Justin pointed “is the head” Brian grinned at his husband’s use of the nautical term “and the galley, but not in the same room, they are side by side. He turned to Brian. “I’ll know that if the flag is raised on the pole outside that you are home but need time alone. I’ll sleep easier knowing you are safe on our property.”

“Justin I don’t know what to say.” Brian was fingering the carvings of the wood. He could see the care and skill it had taken to build this. He could see touches of his husband everywhere, and yet it was his and his alone.

“There is no phone, but there could be if you want one. The wiring is there. I wasn’t sure about the phone part.” Justin admitted.

“There’s just one problem.” Brian was sitting on the bed. He pulled Justin close to him and pressed one of the keys into the palm of his hand. “You are never locked out of my life.”

Justin sighed with relief. He knew that there might come a time when he’d be needed to help Brian get his life under control and he’d hated the thought of not being able to reach his man. But Brian had to give him the key of his own free will. “Thanks Brian,” he breathed. “I love you.” he didn’t have to say anything else. Both of them knew that Justin would never abuse the privilege of having a key to Brian’s safe house.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

January 6, 2013

Justin,

I wish that I hadn’t had to leave on New Years day. What a fucking way to start off the New Year, huh? Christ. Things have been hectic these past couple of months and I want to tell you how proud I am that you have taken charge and gotten it all done. I am so proud of you.

The place looks great. Your talent, and love for the old house shines in every fixture, and every little thing there. I only hope that it doesn’t go to waste with the new ‘tenants’. I hope that they don’t ruin anything that you have worked your ass off to do.

Plus, you also hand picked the people who will be moving in. I guess today is the day, huh? I wanted to be there to help you pick them out, I wanted to be there today for you. I’m sorry that I’m not the type of husband who can do those sort of things.

Yes, am I starting to feel sorry for myself again? Yes. I still can’t help but think that you deserve someone better than me. You deserve someone who is around all the time. But the thing is Justin… I love my work. I love what I do. I have no idea what I would be doing if it wasn’t this. I have no idea who I would be. Would you even love me?

I am doing some great things here Justin. I am starting to see that. There is good to the bad. We are helping people here. To see a child of someone we helped, or saved… to find the stolen treasures of someone who was robbed by some terrorist, or had been kidnapped by some terrorist/fanatic. That … I can’t even begin to explain the feeling I get.

I love my work, and I know that in the end what I’m doing is important. Just like what you’re doing is important. If I didn’t have you – the strong, loving, caring, man I married – I would be lost when I return home. Hell, I wouldn’t have a home to come to.

You’re what holds it all together, and I couldn’t love you more. You’re the reason why I’m out here. I love you, Justin.

My Avalon and everyone’s savior,
Brian.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

End of Chapter 10