Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"Friendship needs no words - it is solitude delivered from the anguish of loneliness."
-Dag Hammarskjold

 

Dazed and hurting, Justin staggered to the nearest emergency room, which fortunately was only a few blocks away.  Since he didn't have insurance, he was relegated to waiting for hours, while others with insurance were attended to before him.  Justin became increasingly agitated as he sat there, holding a cloth a nurse had given him to his bloodied chin. 'This completely sucks!' he groused. 

His body throbbing in agony, Justin was emotionally a mess.  The situation at the hospital was not helping to improve his disposition.   When he was finally seen by an intern, Justin was informed that he would have to stay overnight.  Tests had to be performed to ensure that nothing was damaged internally.  'Well, at least I'll have a safe and cool place to stay,' he thought sadly.

In the pre-dawn hours, Justin tossed and turned in his sleep.  The pain medication that was prescribed for him, did little to relieve neither his physical nor mental anguish.  Suddenly, his eyes flew open in alarm.  Then Justin remembered where he was, and what had happened.  Panic and fear welled up inside of him, as tears started to fall down his angst ridden face. 

The blond admitted to himself, that he shouldn't have been surprised at what had happened.  He had just been lucky thus far.  Justin had been robbed once before at a shelter, and even roughed up sexually by a couple of tricks in the past, but nothing like this.  The absolute helplessness and violation he experienced, shook the very core of his being.  Justin needed to get away, away from this city, and the constant reminders of his ordeal.  His mind drifted to Brian's offer. 

Justin reached into his backpack, and pulled out Brian Kinney's business card.  He traced his fingers across the emblazoned name, then began to reach for the phone beside his bed, but stopped.  It was too early to call the man, and what would he say to him any way?  "I was mugged and raped by three thugs?  I'm scared, and I just want you to hold me for a while till I feel safe?" 

The conflicted blond eventually decided to take a chance, and head back to Pittsburgh.  He would soon find out if Brian was indeed a man of his word.  Just then the doctor entered, interrupting his planning.

"There doesn't seem to be any internal damage, just some bad bruising and swelling.  I'm releasing you today, but take it easy for the next couple of days.  Oh, and the stitches on your chin will dissolve on their own."

"Thanks doctor," Justin offered with a sigh of relief.  Now he could concentrate on his upcoming trek to Pittsburgh. 

Brian sat behind his solid oak desk, dealing with the incompetence of some of the clods in the art department.  The image of a blond young artist invaded his thoughts.  It had been nearly two weeks already, and Justin had not contacted him.  'Who the fuck needs him,' Brian said to himself.  'The kid probably would have been trouble.'  He buzzed Cynthia, in the perfect mood to ream out the poor asshole that fucked up the layout of his ad. 

Justin was in a quandary.  How can he get to Pittsburgh without any money?  He could try to hitchhike, but after what he'd been through, the option of relying on strangers didn't appeal to him.  He could try to save up money from sketching more portraits in the park.  But Justin dismissed that idea because it would take him a couple of days to earn the money.  With the way he looked all battered and bruised, he'd most likely scare customers away, and he needed to leave New York now! 

Hustling was definitely not an option, he was not mentally or physically up to it.  Justin cast his eyes down to the ground in defeat.  However, he caught sight of the watch he was wearing.  In their haste to teach him a lesson, the thieves had overlooked it.  It wasn't the most expensive watch, but it was valuable enough for him to hock.  With any luck, he'd not only have enough money for a one way bus ticket to the Pitts, but perhaps some money left over too. 

Cynthia wisely steered clear of her boss.  Ever since he returned from New York, he was unbearable.  Cynthia had known Brian for quite a few years now, but was perplexed as to the reason for his current foul mood.

Brian was talking with one of his employees when he saw the familiar blond haired, blue eyed young man walking towards him.  Justin's haggard appearance and tortured gaze tugged at his heart.  He immediately sensed that something was wrong.

"Justin, nice to see you," Brian calmly acknowledged.  "Follow me."  Then he turned his attention to a confused Cynthia and said, "Hold all my calls."

Brian strategically ushered the ashen blond into the privacy of his office.  Before he had a chance to ask any questions, the kid was in his arms.  He pressed his face into Brian's chest, and began quivering with muffled sobs.  A startled Brian tried to comfort him by stroking the soft wheat colored hair with one hand, while rubbing his back with the other.   

Justin managed to compose himself after a few minutes, and pulled away from the older man.  Wiping the tears from his cheeks, he braced himself for Brian's questions.

"You going to tell me what happened?" Brian inquired. 

Justin shook his head, "No, I don't want to talk about it.  I'm sorry for acting like such a drama princess.  I'm okay...really."

Brian's eyes passed over Justin with concern.  He could see that whatever it was, it had shaken the kid up pretty badly.  He noticed the bruises and cut on his chin.  Since Justin clearly didn't want to talk about it, he didn't press him further.

Justin spoke up before he lost his nerve.  "I know I'm a little late, but I'd like to take you up on your offer, if it still stands."

"Sure the offer still stands," Brian said smirking.  "In fact, you can start first thing tomorrow morning at 9."

"Thanks," Justin voiced with sincere appreciation.  Then thinking their business had concluded, he turned to leave.

"Do you have a place to stay?  Do you need anything?" Brian impulsively called out. 

The kid pivoted on his heels to address him again.  "No, I'm fine," Justin lied.  "I'm staying with an old friend."

"I see.  Well, until tomorrow Mr. ...?"  Brian arched an eyebrow inquisitively.

"Taylor" Justin finished for him, 

"Later, Taylor." 

"Later, Mr. Kinney," the blond said with a genuine gleam of excitement in his eyes.

Justin left feeling much better now that he had a job.  At least Brian hadn't pressured him about the incident that had prompted him to come back to the Pitts.  The only problem was that he still needed a place to stay.  He had lied to Brian because he didn't want to accept any more of the man's generosity.  He wasn't Brian's concern, and he didn't want to be a burden financial or otherwise.  He thought about calling his friend Daphne, but he didn't want her to see him all banged up.  He'd wait to contact her.

Realizing that he'd probably have to buy a shirt or two from a thrift store, he walked off in search of one.  Justin knew it was going to be rough, since he wouldn't be getting a paycheck for at least two weeks.  However, having survived on his own for this long, he knew he'd be able to manage until then.