Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's Notes:  Sadly, this journey has come to an end.  I want to thank everyone for reading, and a special thanks to those of you who were kind enough to leave a comment.  Feedback is love. Hugs~T

"Love alone is capable of uniting living beings in such a way as to complete and fulfill them, for it alone takes them and joins them by what is deepest in themselves." -Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

 

"I don't blame you," Justin began.  "That's a huge account.  It will probably mean financial security for Kinnetik for the next few years."

"Are you finished yet?" Brian questioned.  "I shouldn't tell you this because you're behaving like such a twat, but I didn't accept his offer."

"You didn't?" Justin said, raising his voice an octave.  "Why wouldn't you?"

Brian expelled a deep breath before he answered, "Why should I?  No one tells me what to do, you know that.  I told the pompous asshole to get the fuck out of my office, before I kicked his ass out the door."

"But that was a multi-million dollar account.  Why would you give that up...for me?  You could have easily gotten someone else to replace me."

"No, I couldn't.  We make a helluva team Sunshine.  They'll be other opportunities in the future.  Stick with me, and someday soon we'll be lounging in the sun, and drinking mimosas on some tropical island." 

Brian grinned, and his encouraging words about the future affected Justin.  However, it didn't dissuade him from what he knew he had to do.

"I can't stay," he announced in a definitive tone.

Brian crooked an eyebrow, as if to ask 'why not?'.

"I don't belong here.  Someone will always pop up to remind me of my past.  You'll get tired of defending me."

"That's bullshit.  You're just running away," Brian snapped.

"I've sold my body more times than I care to remember, and I've lived in filth on the streets.  My presence in your company, and in your life, can only cause you trouble.  Why would you want to keep me here anyway, when you don't even love me."

Brian put his head down, and rubbed his hand over his face.  It was his fault, that the kid actually believed what he was saying was true.  Why the fuck was it so hard to tell Justin how he really felt?  He watched stoically, as the blond ascended the steps to the bedroom, and began to pack. 

Justin haphazardly threw some clothes into his old duffle bag, and went to the computer desk to retrieve his art case. 

When Brian saw Justin gathering up his art materials, it was like someone finally pinched him to wake up.  It hit him that the kid was really going to leave, and he may never see him again.  He had to do something to stop him.  The only way he could do that, was by being honest with him.

Justin dropped his belongings in front of Brian, and hugged him. 

"Thanks for everything.  You've been great to me.  I can't tell you how much you've done for me."

When Justin picked up his things to leave, Brian finally seemed to find his voice.

"Wait!"

Justin stopped, and turned to look at him, a confused expression adorning his face.

Brian bit his lower lip.  "I acted like an ass this morning.  It's always been hard for me to talk about my feelings Justin.  But I...I don't want you to leave."

There was an awkward silence, as Justin processed what Brian had just admitted.  However, his mind was still made up.

"I'm an emotional mess, Brian.  Part of me will always be that kid you met on the street.  The one who comes from a fucked up family.  The one who let strangers use him for money.  The one who desperately needed someone to love him."

"I know all about your past, and the funny thing is, I don't give a shit.  I don't care how fucked up you are. We're all fucked up in our own way.  I care about the man you are today.  You've struggled hard to be self sufficient, to go after your dreams.  You should be proud of how far you've come, not ashamed."

"I can't stay here Brian.  You can't give me what I want," Justin stated despondently.

Justin started to walk away when Brian grabbed his wrist.  The older man knew it was now or never. 

"I won't let you leave.  You can't leave, because... because I fucking love you."

"You don't have to say that just because you think it's what I want to hear."

"I'm not saying it for you.  Well I am, but I'm saying it for me too.  Truth is, I can't imagine my life without you Sunshine.  You're the reason I wake up smiling.  You're the one person who's made me rethink the way I live my life.  So, I'm going to tell you this one more time, because I think you need to hear it loud and clear. I love you, Justin Taylor.  I love the person you were, the person you are right now, and the person you're going to be."

Justin was astounded.  He couldn't move or speak.  Brian's confession left him elated, the depth of his emotions too profound to express.  Tears formed in his eyes, as he searched Brian's beautiful face for any sign of doubt, but there was none. 

"Well?" Brian asked.  "Don't you have anything to say?"

Justin managed to propel his feet into motion, until he was standing directly in front of the man he adored.  A few tears escaped, as he lovingly caressed Brian's face and said, "You may wind up regretting your words because now you're never going to get rid of me Mr. Kinney.  You're stuck with me, forever."

"I was hoping you would say that," Brian smirked, a sheen of moisture glistening his own eyes. 

Brian reached out to draw Justin against him for a long passionate kiss.  He could taste the saltiness of Justin's tears, in the corners of his mouth.  When their lips parted, the younger man stood on his toes to embrace him, letting a few more teardrops spill onto Brian's shoulder. 

After all he'd been through, the blond finally felt completely safe and loved for who he was.  Reveling in the warmth of Brian's arms, and the tease of his lover's hot breath against his neck, Justin realized that he had not only fulfilled his dreams, he had surpassed them.  He knew that whatever trials and tribulations the future may hold, they would face it together.