Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

 

Thanks Lois for the beta...you're the greatest!

 

 

Chapter 1 – The Phone Call

  

Brian had just left the Kinnetik conference room, where the meeting had gone particularly well. His mood was so upbeat that he considered the prospect of a few days off.  He was about to check his calendar, when his cell phone rang.   Since he recognized that it wasn’t one of the special, programmed ring tones, his first instinct was to let the call rollover into voice mail.  However, when he recognized the area code for Toronto in the caller ID, he decided to answer.

 

 “Kinney,” he said.

 

“Brian, it’s Melanie.”

 

Brian sighed thinking that it had been such a good day.  He knew that was about to change. 

 

“Melanie! What’s wrong?  Are Lindsay and Gus ok?” 

 

Brian settled into his chair as he braced himself for the answer.

 

“Yes, everybody’s fine.  Nothing’s wrong.” 

 

Brian breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“Then why are you calling me, Melanie?” he asked more sharply than he intended.

 

 “How are you doing, Brian?” she asked, ignoring his question.

 

“Cut the bullshit, Melanie! What do you want?  You never call me, and you sure as hell never ask how I’m doing.  So, tell me what’s going on?”

 

“All right Brian!” she sighed in exasperation, knowing she’d at least tried to be civil; it obviously hadn’t worked.  “I need you to come to Toronto?”

 

There it was.  She’d said it. 

 

“Melanie, you’re extending an invitation...to me…to visit you…on the sacred mountain…in Toronto…what’s the occasion?” he asked haltingly.

 

She knew this wasn’t going to be easy.  After all it was Brian Kinney she was talking to.

 

“I have something that I need you to see,” Melanie explained.  “It’s here at my office.  I thought maybe you’d take me to lunch tomorrow, without mentioning anything about it to Lindsay. ”

 

“It’s awfully short notice Melanie.  I take it this must be really important?”

 

“I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t,” she answered.   “And…I was thinking…maybe you’d like… to spend a few days… with Gus…while you’re here?” she added haltingly.

 

That’s it; that’s all Brian needed to hear.  He quickly said, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

As Brian closed the cell phone he realized that Melanie had never before encouraged him to see his son without Lindsay’s insistence or the threat of legal action. 

 

Brian stared at the cell phone wishing it would morph into a crystal ball to reveal what was going on in Toronto.  The answers would have to wait until tomorrow.