Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

This wasn’t how he wanted to spend his senior year of high school. He wanted to hang out with Daphne and maybe check out colleges together. But no, his parents had decided the summer before his senior year that they wanted to move out of the city. Now he was in a crappy little town that had more cows than people. Tennessee wouldn’t be his first choice, but his great aunt had left his mother her farm. His family wasn’t farming people, so it was good that it wasn’t a working farm. He gave it three months before his dad moved them back to the city.

“How do you like your room sweetheart?” his mom asked.

Looking around the room he tried not to scowl too much. He didn’t know which was worse, the peeling yellow and orange flower wallpaper or the tree right outside his window that looked like it would topple over at any moment.

“I think it was a girl’s room,” he griped.

“Well, Aunt Mona only had the two girls,” his mom said with a sad smile.

His great aunt had a wonderful life out in the country. Raising her two girls with her farmer husband. That was until 1971 when her husband took the girls to the Mule Day celebration in Columbia. His aunt, a nurse, was to meet them after her shift. Their pickup was hit and the man who hit them never even slowed down or checked on them. The story was one he heard a lot growing up. Any time he had asked his mom or grandmother why Aunt Mona was always so sad. The worst was that if the man or woman would have stopped and helped, they could have saved his aunt’s youngest daughter. Diana, twelve, didn’t die from the wreck, she died from shock. At least that’s what his grandmother said. His grandmother said Mona was more like a daughter to her than a little sister, because they had a large age difference.

“I know this is hard sweetheart, but I think it’s for the best. You were so unhappy in Pittsburgh. All the kids bullying you. Ever since you told us you were gay, all we wanted to do was protect you.”

“I was fine at home. I was so close to graduating.”

“You only just turned sixteen, you should be going into your junior year, not senior.”

“Except you let me skip the third grade, can’t go back now.” He smiled at her.

She shook her head. “Only because we didn’t think it was smart to separate you and Daphne. You two were too smart for your own good.”

When the school went to skip Daphne, their teacher told them just to save them some grief and skip him too. He made the grades and passed the exams they wanted.

“Just give this a chance. You’ll make tons of friends. This is a new start of life for all of us.”

He didn’t say anything just gave her a weak smile. He knew why they moved away, and it wasn’t really because of the farm. It was because of Chris Hobbs beating him up and the school looking the other way. His parents were trying to protect him, and he loved them for that, but he just wished he could stay with the friends he already had. Why wasn’t it Chris Hobbs that paid for what he did?

Once his mom left him alone, he went to the window and sat in the window seat. The only good thing about the room was the huge bay window. He could sit on the window seat and sketch for hours.

He could hear his parents getting the rest of the house unpacked. All he had to do was get his room in order. First, he moved his bed to where he wanted it. The movers just set it up in the corner, he didn’t want it there, he wanted it on the far wall looking towards the window. If he stripped the walls and put fresh paint on it, maybe it would feel like his room. Not a room that one day was the room of a fifteen-year-old girl and then the next it was her shrine.

Shaking his head of sad thoughts, he started to unpack. The sooner he made this room his own, the sooner he felt a little better. Maybe his mom was right, and this move was good. Not having to worry about Hobbs and his goons around every corner were a plus all on its own.

 

“It’s time to get up,” his mom said, knocking on his door.

They had only had two weeks to get moved in before the start of school. Now he was nervous. He hadn’t been a new student since he was in kindergarten. Last night he talked to Daphne, she was telling him it wouldn’t be so bad. But she had all their friends to help her, he was completely alone.

“I’m up,” he called out to her.

This was also the first time he would ever be going to public school. There was a private school, but it was too far, and his parents didn’t want to take him to it everyday or get him a car. Not that he wanted to go to private school again. In fact, he was excited to be able to wear what he wanted to school. No more ties and no more blazers for him.

He grabbed some jeans that were a little small, he wanted to look nice. The t-shirt he grabbed was of his favorite band. He didn’t want to stand out, but he didn’t want to be invisible either. He thought this was a perfect medium.

When he got downstairs his mom was putting breakfast on the table.

“Since when do you make breakfast during the week?” he questioned her.

“Since it’s the first day for my two favorite people. Can you go check on your sister? You know how hard it is for her to get up. Daddy said he was going to take both of you to school today but after that it’s the bus.”

“Sure, I’ll go get the brat. But dad doesn’t need to drive me.” He would look like a baby with his dad dropping him off.

“He wants to do it, let him,” she said like she read his mind. Shaking his head, he went back upstairs to make sure the brat was awake and getting ready for school.

Knocking on her door first, he opened it. She was awake and dressed but sitting on her bed looking worried.

“Mom made breakfast. You better come downstairs, or you won’t have anything until lunch,” he told her.

She brought her knees up to her chin and hugged them. “I don’t wanna go,” she said quietly.

Going over to her bed, he sat down beside her. “Why not?”

“I don’t know anyone.”

“Neither do I. But we won’t make friends until we try.”

“What if they make fun of my hair like Davis Hobbs did?”

He had forgotten Hobbs’ little brother had been in Molly’s class. “Davis Hobbs was a moron. You have pretty hair.” She had red hair and freckles. He called her names and teased her, but it was his job, she knew he loved her.

“But what if they don’t like me?”

“They’ll love you. You are smart, pretty and best of all, you tell the best stories.”

“I do?” she asked with awe in her voice.

“Yep, and you have to believe me because I’m always right.”

She laughed. “No, you’re not.”

“I’m hurt. Come on, Mol. After school I’ll see if mom will let me take her car and we’ll go out for milkshakes.”

“Really?”

“Of course. I think I saw a diner on Main Street when I went shopping with mom yesterday.”

“Yay!” she said jumping up.

He just hoped he felt like taking her out tonight and the day wasn’t a complete disaster.

 

“Try and have a good day today.”

“I’ll try,” he said, getting out, hoping no one saw him.

The school was much smaller than St. James but that was to be expected. Throwing his bookbag over his shoulder he headed into the building. Since he got signed into school just before the start of school, they didn’t have time to mail him his schedule, so he was supposed to pick it up at the office.

In the office was a frazzled looking woman with greying brown hair. She looked like she was a few years older than his mom.

“Excuse me, I was told to pick my schedule up here,” he said politely.

She groaned and grabbed a thick yellow folder. Opening it, she looked up at him. “Name?”

“Justin Taylor.”

She flipped through a few sheets until she found the right one. Pulling it out she handed it to him, snatching her hand away as soon has his hand touched the paper.

“Thank you,” he only said because his mother would kill him if he didn’t.

Stepping away from the desk he started looking over his schedule. Seven classes plus his homeroom. Homeroom was with Mr. Vann, room 505 in the Science Pod. What the hell was a Science Pod? Other kids were coming and going from the office, but he paid them no mind.

“Excuse me. Where is the Science Pod?” he asked the woman.

She glared at him but then turned her head and smiled. She was looking at a boy a bit taller than him that was holding a folder labeled Clubs.

“Ted, would you show Mr. Taylor here the Science Pod?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Ted said awkwardly before looking at Justin. He looked like someone that Hobbs would have pantsed in a New York minute. “Come with me, my homeroom is in the English Pod, so I’ll have to rush to get there in time.”

Justin smiled at him and didn’t miss the blush from the other boy. Ted walked fast, his bookbag on like a complete nerd. But it was nice of him to show him to his homeroom. Hopefully he’ll find someone to help him to get to his first period class after that.

“I’m Ted Schmidt,” the boy said.

“Justin Taylor.”

“Are you a freshman? Freshman orientation was Friday.”

“No, I’m a senior,” Justin said.

The other boy stopped and looked at Justin with wide eyes. “Really? How old are you?”

Clinching his jaw, he answered, “Sixteen. You?”

“Just turned eighteen. Sorry, you just don’t look sixteen.”

“Yeah, I know. It’s alright. Thank you for showing me the way.” They were walking in a hallway with lockers on both sides. He noticed they were headed for a set of double doors. He could see sunlight. Why were they going back outside?

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“Science Pod,” Ted said as they went out the double doors. Looking around he noticed he was on one walkway and to the left of him there was another walkway. But in the middle was a huge pit in the ground. He saw some kids hanging out on the side of it.

Justin kind of liked the idea of being able to get fresh air during the day. A short walk later they were entering a smaller hexagon shaped building. There were more lockers here, but it was a complete circle inside. Ted turned left and they walked to the second room.

“This is Mr. Vann’s room.”

“Thanks, Ted,” he said trying to be polite. A bell rung, causing Justin to jump a bit.

“That’s the two-minute warning. Take care,” Ted said before leaving in a fast pace. He hoped Ted wouldn’t be late for class because of him. As he entered the room it was half-filled. Kids were talking and laughing, no one noticed him. Not wanting to have any teacher pick him out, he sat in the back. Most of his teachers at St. James had been pretty homophobic and never defended him. He didn’t think it would be any different in the South.

He looked out the window, hoping that the day would get better. So far, he just seemed to annoy people even though he hadn’t meant to do it. All he wanted to do was know the way, maybe they should add a map to the schedules.

The last few stragglers came in and so did a tall man with a greying beard and potbelly. Another bell rang.

The man went to shut the door, but a slim blond girl came through.

“Ms. Peterson, that was the late bell,” the teacher said.

“I know, I’m sorry, my locker was broken, and I had to get assigned a new one from Mrs. Krantz.”

“That could have waited until your lunch period. Don’t let it happen again or I will count you absent.”

“Yes sir,” she said before taking a seat.

“I’m going to take roll; don’t forget I’ve known most of you since you were in diapers so don’t try and BS me.”

Justin’s eyes widened. That was almost like swearing, that wouldn’t fly at St. James.

“Yes, sir,” several kids said.

He went down the roll, everyone seemed to be there except a Brian Kinney.

“Does anyone know where Kinney is?” the teacher asked.

“He had to talk to Coach Sandson before school,” the blond girl who was late said.

“Again, that could have waited. If he’s not here in the next two minutes before I sent attendance up to the office, he will be marked absent.”

A minute later a tall boy with a leather jacket came opened the door and came in.

“And what do you have to say for yourself?” the teacher asked the boy.

“Traffic was a bitch?”

“Try again.”

“I had to meet with Coach Sandson, it won’t happen again.”

“See that it doesn’t.” He made a mark in his book. “Who wants to take the attendance up?”

Several hands shot up. The teacher looked around before landing on an angry looking boy.

“Why don’t you take this to the office, and I hope your attitude is better when you get back,” he said to the angry boy. The boy hadn’t even raised his hand.

“Pass,” the boy said.

“Alright, now I’m not asking. Take the attendance up and you better be less of this when you get back Mr. Bell,” the teacher said.

The angry boy got up and snatched the piece of paper out of his hand and left, slamming the door on his way out.

“Alright, everyone Channel One is coming on and when it’s over the announcements, you know the drill.”

The teacher turned on the television that was hanging from the top part of the wall. He then went to his desk and picked up a car magazine. This definitely isn’t St. James.

He had zoned out when the people were talking about something. Soon the bell rang, ending homeroom. Shit, he hadn’t even found anyone to help him find his next class. Pulling out his schedule again, he rechecked it. His first period class was U.S. Government with Coach Haggerty in the English Pod.

“Do you know where you’re going?” a cool voice said from over his shoulder. Turning around he saw the boy with the leather jacket and the blond girl.

“Not really,” he said honestly.

“Follow me, my next class is on the way. I do have to stop by my locker first but it’s on the way too. Where is yours?”

Justin had totally forgotten about his locker. Looking back at his schedule he searched for the information. There at the bottom. “1015.”

“That’s way over by the Gym, we don’t got time, but I’ll show you afterwards.”

“Thanks,” Justin said but the boy and girl were already walking away. He grabbed his bag and rushed after them. They again went back outside and crossed the pit area again. “What is that?” he asked.

“What is what?” the boy asked, looking around.

“That?” Justin said pointing at the hole in the ground.

“It’s the Pit. Come on or we’ll be late,” the boy said. He didn’t look like the type to care about being late. But his mom would say not to judge a book by their cover. Entering the main building again, he followed the pair down two hallways up to another pod like area. Five rooms all in a hexagon. The boy pointed to one room. “That’s Coach Haggerty’s room. Don’t expect to learn anything,” he said. Before Justin could ask him why he would say that, the boy and girl rushed off.

Fifteen minutes later, Justin knew why the boy said that. Coach Haggerty had handed out a worksheet and fucked off to who knows where. Only coming back a minute or two before the bell rang to collect the papers. They had completed the papers in the first few minutes of class, meaning a few worked them out and everyone else copied off of them. All he really learned from the U.S. Government class was that The Price is Right was on during the class. If he hoped to learn anything so far was a bust.

His next class was English 4 but once he left the class he was in, he didn’t know where to go. This was the English pod so it should be here. Looking around he couldn’t find the room. It didn’t have a Pod name on it, it just said English 4 with Mr. Murray room 103. He thought the boy from earlier was going to come back to help him because he mentioned helping him find his locker. But after a minute he didn’t show up, Justin needed to start headed that way so he wouldn’t be late.

He saw a tall boy with orange pants on and a white top with orange stripes. “Excuse me, do you know where room 103 is?”

“Sure do. Come on, I’m working in the office next period, they won’t care if I’m late. I’ll show you.”

“Thank you so much. I just moved here and have no clue where I’m going.”

“I moved here last year from Mississippi, so I know. I’m Emmett by the way.”

“Justin.”

He followed Emmett and they walked through the cafeteria and into a large hallway with stairs going down. Emmett started taking the stairs three at a time. Justin could only do two at a time, Emmett’s legs were much longer than his.

They passed double doors with the word Gymnasium on top of it. At least he knew where the Gym was now.

“Down here is where most of the outdoor classes are.”

“Outdoor?”

“Ones that need to go outside on the reg. Like Band, Auto Body, Metalworking, things like that. But they put Mr. Murray down here, I don’t know why.”

Justin listened and followed behind the taller boy. Almost at the end of the long hallway he stopped and pointed toward a room. “There you go,” he said with a smile. “What class do you have next?”

“P.E,” he said with a groan.

“Really? I have P.E. too. You know where the Gym is, so I guess I’ll see you in a little bit,” the boy said.

“Yeah, thank you.” The other boy waved him off and left. He had seemed nice enough, maybe they could be friends.

English passed pretty uneventful. They were reading Beowulf. He read this his freshman year, so he didn’t have to really work hard on it. At St. James they had to memorize the complete first chapter.

When the bell rang ending his second class of the day, he made his way for the Gym. He didn’t have gym clothes with him and hoped that wouldn’t cause problems on the first day. He met Emmett in front of the Gym.

“Hiya, doll face,” the taller boy said.

“Hi. Do we have to dress for the first day?” he asked nervously.

“No, not usually. Who’s your teacher?”

“Coach Barr.”

“He’s a tough one but not usually unreasonable.”

“You don’t have the same teacher?” he asked him.

“No, the gym class is split between three teachers, it’s how they can fill the gym up. I’ve got Coach T, she’s a beast. Was in the 1980 Olympics on the field hockey team.”

Justin didn’t keep up with sports, but he was pretty good at history. “The US boycotted the 1980 Olympics.”

“I didn’t say she played for the US,” Emmett said, his eyes dancing.

“Wow.”

“I know, can you believe it?”

“Emmylou what are you giggling about?”

Justin saw Emmett roll his eyes. “Don’t tell me you have P.E. this period? I thought the soccer team was exempt?”

“Didn’t you hear? They got rid of the exemptions at the end of last year. Can’t wait to see all the band geeks coming in thinking they got away without gym only to be huffing and puffing through class.”

Justin looked at who was being an asshole. It was the boy from his homeroom class. Brian or something like that.

“Ignore him,” Emmett said pulling him away from the other boy.

Gym didn’t involve dressing out today, instead it was just an introduction to the teachers and the regime they would have. He noticed the boy and girl from his homeroom seemed to hang around each other a lot. He wondered if they were dating. Looking around he saw the boy from this morning in the office too, Ted. He looked uncomfortable in the class. There was another boy with Brian and the blond girl. This one shorter than both the girl and boy and he had a bit of acne on his jawline.

Once class was over it was his Lunch period, he was thankful that it was Emmett’s too. They ate together but it wasn’t unbothered. Some jocks were throwing food at them slyly and calling them faggots. That was until Brian, Lindsay, and the boy he learned name was Michael sat with them. Brian glared at the jocks, and they started to mind their own business after that.

“Thanks for that,” Justin said, Brian just shrugged. The cafeteria was loud, but they could hear each other. Soon they were joined by Ted and a short girl that looked like she was ready to bite someone’s head off.

“Hi Justin,” Ted said quietly.

“Hi Ted. I wanted to thank you again for showing me the way to homeroom. Everyone has been so nice to me. First you, then Brian and Lindsay and then Emmett.”

“Of course, Theodore would be nice to you. You’re too new to know what a loser he is,” Brian said.

Justin was about to speak up for the boy when Ted looked over to Brian and threw a plastic fork at him. “Shut up Brian. At least I’ve never had an STD.”

“You would have had to had sex to get one,” Brian shot back. That was when Justin realized they were friends. Weird friends but friends none the less.

“Where are you from?” Emmett asked Justin.

“Pittsburgh.”

“That’s a long way from here. Why the move?” Ted asked.

“My parents thought it would be a good change of pace. They didn’t want to raise my sister in the city.”

“How old is your sister?” the girl he didn’t know asked.

“She’s seven. I promised to take her for a milkshake today after school because she was nervous about going to a new school.”

“You should take her to Slaters,” Emmett said.

“What’s Slaters?”

“It’s a diner off of the main drag. Michael’s mom and uncle own it,” Lindsay said. “The Dairy Shake is more popular but it’s not really our type of place.”

“What does that mean?”

“We’re not friends because we have tons in common, mostly only the one thing. We hang out together to watch each other’s backs,” Ted said.

“I’m not following,” Justin said.

“You didn’t know you just sat down at the queer table?” Brian asked, raising his eyebrow.

Justin looked around and saw people taking short glances at them. “I didn’t know,” he said.

“But you belong here, right?” Emmett asked.

Justin thought about denying it, but this would be the first time he would have friends like him. He loved Daphne but she didn’t understand. “Yeah, I belong here.”