Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

(Emmett’s nightmare is analyzed.  Does Justin go down the Pink Posse Path?)

Emmett’s nightmare must have been catching.  Justin suggested he see someone about it, expecting to go to Mysterious Marilyn and was surprised when he went to see Alex Wilder instead.  Once Alex heard Emmett’s story, he suggested that Ted join them for a session to figure out why Emmett was dreaming that Ted was a crystal freak.  Emmett was surprised and a little worried about what Ted would think, yet he was relieved that Alex didn’t say he was crazy and call for the men in white coats to cart him away.  He also begged Justin to join them since he needed all the support he could get.

They all settled in chairs around Alex’s desk.  Alex offered everyone drinks before he had Emmett explain his dream, which he did while looking down at his hands. 

Ted listened with his mouth open.  “What the fuck, Emmett.  Why would you think I’d even consider taking Meth?”

 “I don’t know,” Emmett muttered.

Then they heard an alarm go off and Ted pulled a pillbox out of his pocket and tossed a pill into his mouth.

“Ah, ha.  See, see,” Emmett shrieked and pointed at Ted.

Ted held up the pillbox.  “This is for my blood pressure.”

Justin shook his head as Emmett started crying and wrapped his arms around Ted.  He got up and left without saying good-bye.  It was time to head for home.

~QAF~

After three years Justin’s memories of certain events even with the help of his notebook was vague.  But nothing prepared him for what he found when he entered the loft.  Papers were scattered on every surface as Brian and Marcus frantically searched through them.

“What’s up?”  Justin asked.

“Gardner notified me of plans to sue over a non-competitive clause,” Brian growled.

Justin remembered Gardner having fired Brian which caused Brian to lose everything and them being hard up, but they’d manage to avoid all of that this time.  It was something he would not want to repeat.  He thought hard and remembered Brian crowing that when he worked for Ryder during the Kip Thomas shit that Melanie had made sure that there was no competitive clause in his contract.  That was why he’d pushed so hard for Brian to start Kinnetik early so he never had to work for Gardner.  “Ah, Brian?  Why would that be a problem when you were never employed by Gardner?”

Brian sat down hard and laughed.  “You’re right.  Why did I even listen to Gardner?  I admit there was a lot going on then.”

Marcus looked at Brian and threw the papers he had in hand at him.  “He is in financial trouble because of Stockwell.”

“Maybe we should throw him a benefit.”

“Mikey is the one that needs a benefit.  Every time I turn around, he’s hitting me up for money.”  Brian complained.

“Whatever happened to that guy he met? Doctor David?”  Justin asked. 

The door to the loft slid open.  “Hidy ho,” Emmett called out.  “I heard they are having a benefit at Woody’s.  Who’s coming.”

“’Tis the season for benefits,” sighed Marcus.  “I’m in.”

They gathered everyone except for Molly and Gus and headed to Woody’s.  The moment they stepped inside Justin felt uneasy.  Shanda Leer was onstage singing.  It took him back to when Brian had lost his job with Gardner and was broke.  The benefit then was for Brian. 

Hunter noticed that there was something off with Justin and asked, but Justin shook his head unable to explain.  He asked Hunter if he was okay since this was the first time he’d been out since the incident with his mother.  Hunter smiled devilishly.  “Can you picture Rita here?”

Ben frowned; he was very protective of Hunter.  He turned to Brian.  “Do you think Michael and Deb will show up?”

Ted, who had gotten drinks for everyone spoke up.  “I wouldn’t think so.”

Once word got out about Michael and Deb’s involvement in what happened with Hunter, they had been banned from most of the establishments on Liberty Ave.

Emmett was busy slapping Hunter’s hand away as he tried to grab for a beer.  “You’re still underage.  Oh, fuck,” He muttered as he spied Michael coming in the door.

Michael was in the doorway squinting, his eyes searching the interior.  “Brian!”

Justin sighed as Ted, Emmett, and Ben closed ranks and ushered Hunter as far from Michael as they could.  He decided to stay where he was in case Brian needed protection.

Brian pinched his nose, something he was doing a lot lately whenever Michael showed up.  “Mikey, what are you doing here?  I thought you were banned.”

“Aw, come on.  They couldn’t ban me, I’m your best friend,” Michael said smugly, just before two large bears came over and dragged him away screaming.

Shandra Leer completed her last set and bowed to everyone as she left the stage.  Justin finally remembered what was bugging him about this night.  For some unknown reason It had reminded him of his days with the ‘Pink Posse’ and his reason for joining them.  He gave Brian a kiss before going to catch up with Darren after he changed.

“Mind if I join you?”  Justin asked.

“It was a long night, so I’m heading home,” Darren said as he carried his dress and shoes.

Justin wasn’t sure how, but he wasn’t going to let Darren be bashed.  He offered to carry Shandra’s wig.  They set off for Darren’s apartment and hadn’t gone far when a group of guys got in their way.  Darren backed away, but Justin just handed the wig to him ready to use the judo he’d picked up.  Before he could do anything, Brian and Ben showed up flanking Justin and Darren.  Soon Emmett, Ted, Hunter, and the two bears that had shown Michael out were with them. 

The gang looked at the group of queers, then looked at each other.  The odds were not in their favor, so they all turned and ran.

 Justin smiled and turned into Brian’s arms.  He learned an important lesson.  You didn’t need to fight as long as you had friends willing to back you up.  They all continued down the street escorting Darren safely home.