Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Things seemed to go from bad to worse.  Stockwell had found someone to take him on as a client and they believed in playing dirty.  Brian had tried to get Deekins to do the same, but Deekins refused.  If Deb had thought that Brian had betrayed his community last time, this time was far worse and none of it was Brian’s fault. 

 

It was bad enough when Stockwell’s goons closed down half the bars and baths on Liberty, but when the backroom at Babylon was shut down and the GLC indorsed Stockwell, Justin knew something had to be done.    He thought about bringing his plans up with Brian, but while last time Brian had come around and helped, Justin didn’t want to risk anything this time.  He knew he could duplicate the posters he’d used and in fact probably improve them. 

 

Justin was now older than he’d been the first time around and hopefully wiser.  Stockwell’s men were playing hardball and Justin did not want to end up in jail.  Fortunately, he knew a terrific lawyer that he could consult after all there was no sense in putting his friends and Brian’s company into jeopardy if he could prevent it.

 

He no sooner arrived at Marcus’ mansion when Hunter blew in slamming the door.

 

“That idiot!  What right does he have telling me to get lost?”

 

“What idiot?”

 

“Michael.  You’d think he owned the place from the way he talks.”  Then he got this evil smile.  “Ben said he was my uncle, but I don’t think the guy bought it.”

 

“Ben is your guardian.”  Marcus reminded Hunter.

 

“Should someone go and rescue Ben?”

 

“Why is everyone looking at me?”  Justin asked.  He looked at Marcus and Hunter and rolled his eyes before heading out to the apartment over the garage.  Justin jogged up the steps and walked into the hallway calling, “Ben?” 

 

What he found was Ben trying to disentangle from Michael’s smothering grip.  Suddenly he found himself swept into an embrace and being kissed enough to take his breath away.  It was strange that Ben had his arm around him and then showing a smug possessive smile at Michael.  Then he saw the expression on Michael’s face.  First shock, then disbelief, then sly.  Justin could only imagine what Michael was thinking as he pushed past them and ran out the door.

 

“What the fuck, Ben?”  Justin glared at him.

 

Ben managed to look contrite and relieved at the same time.  Fortunately for him, Hunter and Marcus showed up just then.

 

“Wow, he tore out of here.  How did you manage that?” Hunter asked Justin.

 

Ben raised one finger and went to the landline and picked up the receiver.  “Hey, he just left.  Thanks for the suggestion.”

 

In the meantime, Marcus asked Justin why he had shown up.

 

Justin had wanted to talk with Marcus alone but figured three heads were better than one.  “I don’t know if you’re aware of Stockwell vendetta against gays?”

 

Ben nodded.  “It’s all my students have been talking about.”

 

“The kids at school have been picking on me saying it’s only what I and my kind deserve,” Hunter said with a frown.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”  Ben wanted to know.

 

Hunter shrugged.  “There is nothing you could do.”

 

“I hear you,” Justin agreed, remembering the times he was bullied, and no one would or could do anything. “The thing is Stockwell has upped his game and I was thinking of making posters to counter his posters.”

 

“I’m in,” Hunter interjected.

 

Justin smiled at Hunter’s enthusiasm.  “Thanks.  But I was wondering about repercussions.”

 

Marcus looked thoughtful.  “Brian is campaigning for Stockwell’s opponent, correct?”

 

Justin nodded.

 

“If you’re caught and you are connected to Kinnetik things could be problems,” Marcus warned.

 

“If he doesn’t know he can’t be held responsible, can he?”  Justin asked.  While his attack on Stockwell had helped last time, he didn’t know if this would even work this time around.  But he had to try.

 

Justin made his way back to the loft, his mind still in a conundrum about what the best thing was to do.  He couldn’t really ask Brian since he was hoping to keep it from him.  The last time around Brian had found out and even helped, but that had led to the loss of his job and their being broke. 


 When Justin got to the loft he rode the lift up to the top floor.  He no sooner exited when Michael rushed out, knocking him aside and cursing loudly.  The door was open, and he could hear Brian laughing loudly.

 

“Hey, what’s up?”  was Justin’s question. 

 

“You missed it.  Michael came rushing over here,” Brian tried unsuccessfully to stop laughing.   “He couldn’t wait to inform me that you and Ben were an item and I needed to throw you out.”

 

Justin raised his brows.  Brian opened his arms and pulled Justin in and kissing him.  “One day he’ll grow up, but I don’t think it will be too soon. 

 

Molly was at school, and Gus was at daycare.  They had decided that Gus needed to socialize with other children and so far, it was working out well.  This left them plenty of time to indulge in their favorite pastime… having sex. 

 

Two weeks later Justin was hard at work on redoing the posters he’d made the last time around.  Ben had managed to recruit some of his students, along with Hunter and his friends, who made sneaking around a breeze.  It was almost midnight when he was putting the last bit of glue to one of Stockwell’s poster when Brian showed up, scaring the daylights out of him.

 

“So, this is what you’ve been up to,” Brian said.  “It’s a good thing I turned over Deekin’s account to one of my other account reps. so this can’t be seen as a conflict of interest.”  He picked up one of Justin’s posters and pasted it over Stockwell’s.  Just then a whistle shrieked, and Justin hurriedly packed up his equipment before grabbing Brian and running off.

 

The next week, Stockwell put out a reward for anyone who could identify the person messing with his posters, so Justin had to scale back his attack.  Brian wasn’t worried that Stockwell could come after Kinnetik.  “If I were to go after him, I have enough evidence of his being a fag to really mess with him without resorting to suggesting the things your poster does.”

 

While Justin was debating his next move, he got a call from Melanie’s doctor asking him to come to her office.  His memories of this time were vague, maybe because he’d gotten back with Brian and his memories of Brian’s dealings with the girls at this time were vague.  Except for when they’d broken up following Jenny Rebecca’s birth which he hoped to avoid this time around.

 

When he arrived he was directed to an examination room.  Melanie was on the table with Lindsay at her side and all wired up.

 

“It’s beating so fast!” Michael was standing looking at the screen in awe.

 

“Oh, that’s quite normal.  Pregnancy’s hard work, for both the child and the mother.  Especially after Melanie’s endometriosis.”  The doctor explained. 

 

Michael looked puzzled.  “Endo.  Meetry? What?”

 

“Osis,” the doctor finished.  “You’ll probably discover that the pain will subside during the pregnancy.”

 

“Pain?  What pain?”  Michael shrieked.

 

“But in the meantime, she should still be taking it easy, right, Doctor?”

 

“Is something the matter?”  Justin asked.

 

“Everyone, please stop worrying.”  The doctor suggested and gave Justin a tight smile.  “Justin, I’m glad you could make it.”

 

“What’s he doing here?”  Michael wanted to know.  Justin was wondering why he was there too.

 

The Doctor motioned for Justin to follow her.  

 

“What’s up Doc?”

 

“You tell me.  Mr. Novotney rushed Melanie here because she was having stomach pains.”

 

“Oh my God.  Is she okay?”

 

“She’s fine.  It was indigestion from eating too many pickles for lunch.  Mr. Novotney got all concerned, contacted Lindsay who rushed over here.  This is the second time he’s done this.  You’d think he was the father.”

 

Justin sighed.  “He thinks he is.  Mel didn’t have the heart to tell him the truth.”

 

“Well, he’s going to find out when the baby comes out.  In the meantime, he’s causing her major stress and I’m eventually going to have to put her on bed rest.”

 

“She’s not going to like that.  How’s Lindsay?”

 

“All considering she’s doing well.  For some reason, Novotney isn’t as worried about her as he is Melanie.”

 

They reentered the room to hear Melanie speaking. “I’m not worrying.”

 

“I am!  I was just making a suggestion.”  Lindsay interjected.  “There’s no harm in taking it easy.”  She directed her next statement to the doctor.  “She’s practically working herself into a state of exhaustion.”

 

Justin could tell that Melanie was pissed.  “What?  I am not working myself into a state of exhaustion.”

 

Lindsay looked to the doctor.  “Please.  She thinks she can do it all.”

 

“Because I can!”  Melanie was working herself up and you could see it on the monitor.

 

The doctor tried to soothe her.  “You need to be careful, Melanie, not to overdo. Too much stress, not eating properly, these all can lead to serious complications.”

 

“Jesus,” Melanie rolled her eyes.  “I take care of myself, I really do.  It’s just, my darling devoted partner is simply overreacting and driving me nuts!  And as for Michael, you’d think with all the chronic masturbation he’d be calm but…he’s a jangle of nerves.”

 

“I am not!”

 

“You scared the daylights out of me.  I don’t need you following me around.”

 

“It’s a good thing I did.”

 

“You can get dressed now, Melanie.  Just lay off the kosher dills.”

 

Justin had to practically drag Michael out of the room so Melanie could get dressed.  Once they were outside Justin offered the girl’s a ride home.  Michael immediately insisted that it wasn’t necessary, but Melanie overruled him.  Once settled into the front seat Melanie began to gripe.

 

“What on earth possessed me to tell Michael he was the father?”

 

Justin had often wondered the same thing himself.

 

Lindsey, in her peacemaking way, offered, “You were just trying to make him feel good.

 

Justin looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that while Lindsay was saying the right things she looked bored.

 

Melanie’s laugh had a bitterness to it.  “Yeah, for all the good it’s done me.  Do you know that Deb actually had the nerve to come over and lecture me on how tough she had it and that I needed to take better care of myself?”

 

In a way, Justin agreed with Deb.  “You have to remember that she didn’t have your education.”

 

Melanie nodded her expression one of thoughtfulness.

 

They pulled up in front of the girl’s home with Michael’s car right behind them.  Michael jumped out and rushed to the door, in a hurry to open the door to let them in.  He blocked Justin from coming in.  “You can leave now, you’re not needed.”

 

“Neither are you, Michael.  I’m going to lie down,” Melanie said, and Justin couldn’t help notice how slow and wearily she made her way up the stairs.

 

Justin exited the lift debating whether to go to Daph’s apartment or the loft.  The loft door open and Brian stood there waiting.  Justin couldn’t tell his mood.  Brian crocked his finger indicating that Justin needed to come closer.

 

“I’ve heard Mikey’s version, now I’d like to hear yours.”  Brian wrapped his arm around Justin and maneuvered him to the sofa.

 

Justin sighed, he started with his being called to the hospital and the reasons he learned as to why, he ended with taking the girls home and how the Doctor had hinted that Melanie might need to be put on bed rest.  “You should have seen her trying to negotiate the stairs.”

 

Brian chuckled.  “I was sure that Michael’s version was highly exaggerated.  Are you worried about Mel?  Why not Lindsay?”

 

“Yes, I am worried about Melanie.”  He couldn’t explain that most of this had happened last time around, he could only hope to counter the problems.  “Lindsay seemed worried about Melanie as well, but I don’t know she seemed distant.”  He wasn’t sure how to explain the feeling he got when Lindsay and Mel were together.

 

“Hmm, looks like we’ll have to do some renovations to the girls' house.”  Brian went to the computer and pulled up a few things.  “This looks good, a chair that glides up the staircase.  It will save her from having to walk up those stairs.”

 

Justin looked at and nodded.  “Yeah.  That would be perfect.”  He didn’t remember that time perfectly, but this would save putting a bed in the living room and having to figure out a way to get a full-sized bathroom downstairs.   He wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck for being brilliant which led them to a make-out session that was very satisfying.