Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin woke up the next morning in bed, alone.  He'd been dreaming of his attitude the last time around and how he'd felt back then.  It had seemed that Brian trampled over his feelings, but in the light of day, he'd been the one acting like a brat and demanding things.  This time he wasn't doing that and things were going good between them.  Maybe too good?

Brian came into the bedroom and slapped Justin on the butt.  "Come on, get up.  Ben's in the hospital."

Justin followed Brian into the shower and was surprised when there was no sex.   This had to be serious.  They quickly dressed then went down the steps into the kitchen.  Emmett was in their kitchen cooking with Daphne and Molly was feeding Gus.

"Hurry up and eat, boys," Emmett ordered. 

Soon Brian and Justin were on their way to the hospital.  Justin was confused, last time this happened it had involved Michael.

"You know how we signed Ben and Vic up with Remson Pharmaceutical?  Well, Ben collapsed while teaching yesterday.  When he got to the hospital his name was flagged and Remson was called.  It looks like his current cocktail isn't working anymore.  This will help Remson with their research.   They have their top man checking him out so he's in the best of hands and Vic is going to be checked out as well."

"So we're going because it's business?"  Justin asked.

"Partially.  Frankly, I thought since he's a friend you might be concerned.  Plus Mark's going to be there and we need to ask him if he knows anything about your mom and dad."

Justin's heart warmed.  "Thank you."  He leaned over and kissed Brian.

When they got into the room, there were machines all over.  Remson himself was there and he made his way over to Brian.  "They're taking him off all his meds and starting from scratch."  He pulled one of the white-coated men over.  "This is Dr. Phil Stanly, he's our top researcher with a multitude of degrees. "

Dr. Stanly shook his head and smiled.  "I admit to being the best and we will be taking good care of Mr. Bruckner and Mr. Grassi.  You need not worry.  As an extra precaution, I have two nurses who report directly to me and they will be working in shifts making sure all orders are carried out."

Remson rubbed his hands together.  "They will have the best of care, I assure you."

"Thanks.  We appreciate all that you're doing," Brian spoke gratefully to the doctor and Remson.

They were on their way to the lobby when they ran into Mark coming in to check on Ben and Vic.  He was carrying two bags, one for each patient.

"Just the person I wanted to see," Brian said by way of greeting.

Mark sighed.  "More good news I suppose?"

Brian and Justin exchanged looks, wondering what was up before leading their lawyer friend to the nearby cafeteria.  Justin diverted to the counter to get three coffees and enough packets of sugar to satisfy Brian.

"First Hunter and now Ben."

"Hunter!  What's wrong with Hunter?"

"CPS investigated Debbie for making a false report.  When they found out that she was fostering Hunter and that her son, who had attacked Justin was going to be living with her, they started proceedings to pull him.  Ben offered to foster him and we were this close to having that happen when he collapsed."

"Shit, and now there is Molly."

Mark frowned.  "What's wrong with Molly?"

Justin had to explain starting with the phone call to Daphne.

"I'll get in touch with Sammy and see what can be done," Mark promised.

"What if Justin and I apply to be foster parents?"  Brian asked.  When he noticed the shocked look on Justin's face, he turned toward him.  "The way I see it is we have the room and if we are officially foster parents we shouldn't have any trouble with Molly nor Gus in the future."

Justin was a little worried since he'd planned to use one of the extra bedrooms for the baby that Mel would eventually end up having and hopefully, it would be his and not Michael's.  But he couldn't fault Brian's logic.  It only took a nod from Justin for everything to be a go.

Later on Brian and he parted ways, Brian to work and he to meet with Daphne.  Justin felt guilty about leaving the kids with Daphne so when she suggested going to the park he readily agreed.

Molly skipped ahead while he pushed Gus along and explained Brian's idea of them being foster parents to Daphne.  "It's hard to believe.  My Brian wouldn't ever have suggested such a thing."

"This Brian is your Brian.  So I think you're wrong."  Then sound of a violin caught her attention.  "Normally I don’t like violin music, but that guy is pretty good," said Daphne.

Justin looked over and saw Ethan panhandling in the park.  "Oh my god, that's Ethan."

Daph stopped walking and called out to the kids to slow up.  "Ethan!  That’s Ethan?  Look at his eyes, wow."

Justin nodded.  In his mind's eye, he watched himself go over to Ethan. 

He watched himself clapping.  "Bravo."

"Le tambourin chinois.  Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for the strings."

"Why are you playing it on a street corner?"

"I need the cash."  It was true, Ethan always seemed to need money to pay the bills and Justin had provided it.  Perhaps that is what prepared him for when Brian had none?

"There has got to be an easier way?"

"Well, yeah, I guess I could always be a go-go boy." 

That hit Justin in the gut.  Why had Ethan said that?  When Justin had run away to New York, his ambition was to be a go-go boy.  Later when he tried to raise money for school he’d actually become a go-go boy. 

"I wouldn't recommend that."

"Then I'll stick to the fiddle."

"You are pretty good."

"Pretty good?"  Ethan had bristled.  "I'm a genius."

"You're also not very modest."

"Justin are you okay?"  Daphne's voice filled with concern pulled him back from his memories.

Justin took one last look at Ethan. The tune he was currently playing was upbeat.  Towards the end of their relationship, all his tunes had sounded morbid.   He spotted the garbage truck down the street ready to load a sofa, the same sofa that Ethan had rescued.  "Hey, check out the couch," Justin called out as Ethan put away his violin.

Justin watched as Ethan looked up and then jog over to stop them from loading it into the garbage truck.  Letting out a sigh Justin and Daphne followed Molly into the park where they sat down, side by side on two swings while Molly helped Gus out of his stroller and over to the kiddy slide.

"Are you regretting not having him in your life?"

"Fuck no.  The only thing that I miss is his pussy,"

"What!"  Daphne shrieked, then covered her mouth.

"His cat, Daph," Justin chuckled.  "I should have known he wasn't for me.  After all, you didn't like him."

"I didn't?"

"Nope, you thought he was a snob."

Daphne grinned.  "I'm pretty smart."

"Yes, you are," Justin agreed.   "I guess I needed to meet him to appreciate what I had with Brian.  Why was it I felt I needed romance?"

"Romance isn't all it's cracked up to be," Daphne agreed.

Justin felt badly because in a way Daphne was sacrificing her love life for him.

The kids played for a while, but soon they grew tired, so Justin and Daphne took them back to the loft. 

"So, Brian is thinking about him and you becoming foster parents.  Gee, don’t you think you’re kinda young to be a parent?"  Daphne asked.  "I mean do you really want to be tied down like that?"

Technically he wasn't that young, but she did have a point.  He opened the door to the loft and ran headlong into Brian's back.   He and Daphne looked around Brian.

"A picnic!"  Molly yelled excitedly and plopped down to grab some of the amazing food.

"Don't look at me," Brian said.  "I just got here."

Emmett flounced up from the lower floor.  "Molly Taylor, put that down, that is not for you.  Your picnic is below."  He gathered Gus from his stroller and started herding Molly and Daphne down the stairs.  "We have fried chicken, potato salad, and other good stuff.  You two need to talk," he shouted over his shoulder.

Brian did not look happy.  "Yes, we do."  He looked at Justin who didn't look any happier.  "What's wrong?"

Justin saw that all the items were what he'd gotten for the picnic that wasn't.  "It's just that it's so ... romantic."

Brian looked down at the settings.  "You're right.  Normally I don't do romance, but where you are concern...if it's something that you want, I'm willing to give it a try."

Justin plopped down on one of the pillows and reached for some crackers already covered with pate.  Everything that he'd bought from the gourmet shop was there, the brie, the pate, the wine, the candles.  It was uncanny. 

Brian lounged on the pillows and poured the wine.

"So, what do we need to talk about?"  Justin asked.  "Let me guess, the trip to Vermont is off."

"Nope."  Brian reached into his inside pocket and pulled out a brochure.  "I made reservations for next week."

Justin excitedly grabbed the brochure.  But the more he read the more depressed he got.  This place looked dull and boring.

"Cynthia found it, then contacted them about our doing their advertising.  It's a working vacation."  Seeing how disappointed Justin was, Brian looked at his watch.  "It's before seven.  Let's go downstairs and grab some of the chicken?"

Justin laughed and allowed Brian to drag him down the stairs where Emmett, Daphne, and the kids were enjoying a southern-style picnic.  Watching Brian eating fried chicken and not complain was definitely a miracle.