Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Remember the episode with the Elvis impersonators?  They are back!

 

Woody's was holding King night and the whole gang was there.  At least everyone except for Ted.  He was at home doing some much needed number crunching.  The place was crowded, and Melanie was sitting on Lindsay's lap.  Justin wondered who was watching Gus and how Lindsay had managed to get out of jail. 

 

 

 

"Since when did Woody's become a Cunt-ry club?"   Brian asked.  

 

 

 

"Since you're here?"  Mel snarked at him.  On the stage were three dykes dressed like Elvis and singing one of his hits 'Follow Your Dreams'.

 

 

 

Lindsay was all dreamy eyed.  "I've had the same dream ever since I was little-to fall in love, get married, and have a baby."

 

 

 

"Well, two out of three ain't bad," Michael said.

 

 

 

"Three out of three is even better," Lindsay proclaimed.

 

 

 

Justin swallowed his tongue.  Now he remembered this night.  Lindsay and Mel had announced their plans to get married.  Michael had been worried about Ted.  He wondered what changes this time would bring.

 

 

 

"When did you decide?"  asked Michael.

 

 

 

"Why didn't you tell us?"  Emmett exclaimed.

 

 

 

"A few weeks ago, and we just did," Mel answered.

 

 

 

"Here's a toast to the happy couple.  May you come to your senses before it's too late," Brian said as he raised his glass.

 

 

 

"Oh, it's so exciting that everyone's dreams are coming true!  Hey, what's your dream, sweetie?"  Emmett asked Michael.

 

 

 

"My dream is to one day know what my dream is?"  Michael said morosely.

 

 

 

Michael dressing in an anime t-shirt that was kinda small wasn't going to help him with his dream.

 

 

 

Justin looked into his almost empty glass.  "Why don't you sell that comic book Brian gave you for your birthday and open a comic book shop?"  he suggested.

 

 

 

Michael, as usual ignored the suggestion and pulled out his cell phone.  "I'm gonna call Ted and tell him to get his ass down here."

 

 

 

"Leave Theodore alone.  He's busy," Brian ordered.

 

 

 

But when does Michael ever listen? 

 

 

 

"He's not picking up," Michael said.

 

 

 

What Michael wasn't aware of was that now that Ted was working with Brian, he had a new phone with a new number.  Justin wondered why he hadn't given the new number to Michael. 

 

 

 

"Why did you want Mikey to sell that fucking comic book?"  Brian asked as they walked to the jeep to go home.

 

 

 

Justin shrugged.  "Would you rather he keeps on whining?  Look, if you don't help him realize his dream it's never going to happen.  My question is why do you suppose Ted didn't give Michael his number?"

 

 

 

Brian snickered.  "There's only one way to find out."  He climbed into the jeep and pressed three for Ted who answered on the first ring.  Putting it on speaker he asked over the sound of opera.  "Did you give Mikey your new number?"

 

 

 

"And listen to his excessive whining about why you aren't picking up?"  Ted answered.  Ted had been getting more assertive since working for Brian.

 

 

 

"Guess that's a no." Brian said to Justin.

 

 

 

"Justin with you?"  Ted wanted to know.  "Hey, I looked into the new loft and since it's freeing up space for Kinnetik until we find a more permanent space, we can free up funds to buy it."

 

 

 

"Thanks, Ted.  I knew there was a good reason I wanted you on my team," Brian said.

 

 

 

"Is that all, Bri?  Can I get back to my opera?"  Ted demanded.

 

 

 

"Sure.  By all means," Brian said as he closed his phone.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day Justin looked through his notebook and was reminded that he had started PIFA around that time.  He remembered the hard time he had with his hand trying to draw.  He didn't need the computer program that Brian had bought for him, but he knew that as Kinnetik invested in things for the art department that would be a top priority.  The next day he saw an article on a show featuring Adrienne Bennett.  He decided he would drop in and renew their acquaintance.

 

 

 

He was looking at her works and remembering his critique when Adrienne wheeled over to him.

 

 

 

"Well, what do you think?"  she asked.

 

 

 

"The composition is good.  The technique and use of color is interesting.  I like that one."  he pointed to one of paintings.  "It's,  um...less representational, more spontaneous, more angry."

 

 

 

She nodded and chuckled.    "I was in a mood that day.  I'm the artist.  Adrienne Bennett."

 

 

 

Justin smile.  "I know.  Your work is fantastic."

 

 

 

"You know art?"

 

 

 

"I'm going to PIFA.  But they don't teach how to put emotion into your work like you've done.  I'd like to buy this one."  He pointed to the one Adrienne had given him.

 

 

 

Lindsay walked over to them.   She bent down to give Adrienne an air kiss.   "Hey, congratulation on the show."

 

 

 

"Thanks."

 

 

 

"How's it going?"

 

 

 

"Sold three already.  No make that four."  She smiled at Justin.

 

 

 

"Justin, does Brian know what you're spending his money on?"

 

 

 

Justin frowned.  True Lindsay was unaware of how much he was worth, but that didn't give her the right to say that.

 

 

 

"Back off, bitch, or I'll roll over your foot."  Adrienne countered not liking Lindsay's messing with her sells.

 

 

 

"How much?"  Justin asked.

 

 

 

"The price is listed."

 

 

 

Justin walked over to manager of the gallery and paid for his painting.  He didn't know where he'd hang it, but hang it he would.  He pulled out his wallet and handed over three one hundred-dollar bills, then waited while his painting was wrapped.  He thanked Adrienne once more before leaving the gallery.

 

 

 

Justin was looking at the painting when Brian returned home.

 

 

 

"What the fuck is that?"

 

 

 

"That is an Adrienne Bennett original.  She's a paraplegic artist."

 

 

 

Brian looked at him blankly.  "You're not planning on hanging it up in here?"

 

 

 

"Nope.  I thought I'd put it up in the loft next door."

 

 

 

"You got it."  Brian said collapsing on the sofa next to the painting.

 

 

 

"We got it.  Where have you been?"  Justin asked.  Brian looked all wiped out and he hoped it wasn't because he'd been partying it up like the Brian of the past would have done.

 

 

 

Brian slung one arm over his face.  "I was with Mikey all day helping him get enough money for a down payment on Buzzy's."

 

"That was a nice thing you did for Michael."

 

 

 

"Tell that to Deb."

 

 

 

Justin frowned.  "What did she do now?"

 

 

 

"She charged into Mikey's apartment after finding out he quit his job and accused me of being behind it." 

 

 

 

Justin hadn't been involved when this went down last time, but he could tell that whatever she'd said had hurt Brian.  Brian had always been so closed off.  He blew things off rather than letting it bother him.  It took a lot for someone to do that!

 

 

 

Justin crawled on top of Brian and kissed him softly on the lips.  "She doesn't know shit.  So how did you help?"

 

 

 

"Mikey decided to sell the comic I got him on e-bay.  I kept upping the bids."

 

 

 

Justin pulled back.  "That must have been scary?"

 

 

 

"It was for a bit.  I thought I'd have to buy it back.  But in the end, it worked out and Mikey has ten thousand to buy Buzzy's Comics.".

 

 

 

Justin laid his head down on Brian's chest glad that everything had worked out.