Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

“This is insane,” Brian shouted, when Ted showed him how much Kinnetik had lost in the past month. And all because of that ad and what it brought to him.

“Some of them were homophobes. We both know that. Others were influenced by the bad image of their company being associated with you,” Ted explained.

“And you knew this for how long?”

“About a week or so.”

“We need to advertise ourselves,” Evan decided.

“That’s crazy. What advertising company advertises itself like some whore?” Brian shouted louder.

Ted shot Evan a look, hoping he’d keep his mouth shut. “Cynthia and I were thinking we could find a small game business and revamp it.”

Brian pressed his fingers to his temples, squeezing his eyes shut. “In case you haven’t noticed, everyone is running away from us.” He turned to Evan. “What did you have in mind? And keep your dry humor locked down, unless you want to fly through that window.”

“I’ve never had visual imagination. I just have ideas. You were the one with the vision, one of the reasons I liked working with you.”

Brian rolled his eyes at Evan’s ass-kissing. Even if Theodore didn’t know their history in detail, he got the gist of it.

Brian picked the phone from his desk, dialing the Art Department’s interior line.

“Derek,” the prompt answer amused Brian. When the Art Department saw his extension calling, they usually teleported to the phone to answer.

“It’s Brian,” he had to explain, since Evan called more often than him lately.

“Hey, boss.”

“Is Taylor around?”

“Right next to me. Want me to put him on?”

“Send him to my office. And tell him to bring his toys.” Brian hung up. “What?” He barked at Ted’s amused look.

Ted had the decency to shake his head, before refocusing on the papers between them.

Brian was aware that his friends could tell there was something between him and Justin, but they kept their distance in public. The most they touched in public was when their shoulders brushed if they had to squeeze into the same booth at the diner, or if Brian touched Justin's back or shoulder while he checked his work. That was something he did with everyone.

When Justin entered the executive office, he stopped short, holding a tablet in his hand.

“Uh, Derek said you wanted to see me?” He sounded uncertain.

“Don’t let Theodore intimidate you,” Brian joked, waving him closer.

“Ha!” Ted snorted, sliding away to allow Justin to sit in the chair across from Brian. “I knew I was intimating.”

“Tell Blake it’s not nice to lie to you,” Brian replied, without looking at him. “So, Justin. We have a problem.”

“And how do I fit in solving the problem?” he asked, confused.

Brian showed him the papers spread across his desk. It was something he usually showed Kyle, but he had a day off.

Justin stared at the tables and diagrams, trying to figure out what they meant.

“Let me explain,” Evan said, leaning closer. He pointed to some tables and the totals, showing Justin differences between the previous month and the current month, then even bigger differences from three months before.

“Is this because of that pro gay marriage ad?” Justin asked, incredulously.

“Unfortunately, yes.” Brian nodded. “I regret taking that job more than anything else in my life.”

Justin chewed on his lip, knowing how true that was. “Okay, and how can I help?”

“Evan’s got an interesting idea.”

“It’s a damn good idea and you know it!” Evan slapped Brian's shoulder, playfully.

“I’m still hesitant on whoring myself. I didn’t even do that when we first opened the company.”

“You had Brown then,” Ted reminded him.

“I have Brown now, too.”

“And only Brown,” Evan mumbled.

“Stop!” Justin raised his voice. “Can someone explain this to me? How could all these people pull out just because of an ad?”

“If you haven’t figured out until now, people’s opinions can be fickle,” Brian muttered.

“My idea,” Evan touched Brian's hand to prevent him from talking over him. “My idea is to advertise Kinnetik in a way for companies to see we’re still the best.”

“That’s stupid. No company that respects itself and the individuals working within it would do that!”

“It has potential,” Brian said slowly. “Think about it. We show them our history, then show them we dared to do the impossible and became the pariah, but we’re still strong and fighting for what we believe in.”

“We’re still the best – that should be the motto,” Evan decided.

“Would you kindly leave the fine details to us – the art team?” Justin grunted. “I hope you don’t expect me to draw something for you right now, because the idea of doing this makes me sick. Wait until the others hear it.”

“Treat it like any other project you didn’t like working on. If you didn’t have anything until now, just wait. There will be plenty of projects you don’t want to create, but it’s your job,” Brian said quietly. “Go and talk to the others. Tell everyone to mull over the idea over the weekend and we’ll have a meeting on Monday.”

“If they don’t make a line in front of my office to offer their resignation,” Ted joked.

“Stop being so pessimistic!”

#

Justin returned to the modern office he shared with the other artists. Derek was the only one who knew where he had been.

“Everything okay?” he asked, when he noticed a pale Justin stopping in the doorway.

Justin shook his head. “Guys, we should stop what we were doing,” he announced. Not surprising, only a few people turned to him.

“Hey,” Derek shouted, whistling loudly. “Justin has something to tell us.”

Justin smiled gratefully at Derek. “So I’m coming from Mr. Kinney’s office.”

“Did you finally hand in your resignation?” asked Alice, Kyle’s best friend and a gossip machine.

Justin pretended he hadn’t heard the jibe. He was going to have a long conversation with Brian about the way some of his colleagues treated him. It was common for newbies to be left out and treated badly, but some of the people in the Art Department were downright nasty.

“Kinnetik is not faring well after that pro gay marriage ad. We’ve got only a couple companies who still want to work with us.” He wasn’t sure why Brian had sent him to give them the bad news, but he was trying to sound as emphatic as possible. “So Mr. Steele got this idea to promote Kinnetik and show everyone we still got the groove.”

The room erupted in murmurs and looks were exchanged.

“Where did you come up with this shit? Mr. Kinney would never talk to you about such a delicate issue,” Alice sneered.

“It’s true,” Justin replied hotly.

Trevor, another senior graphic artist in the department, rolled his eyes, folding his arms across his chest. “It doesn’t make sense for Mr. Kinney to tell you something like this.”

“Mr. Kinney called earlier asking for Justin.” Derek came to his aid. He was one of the few people who had been nice to Justin.

“He probably fired this kid, and now he’s making up stories to get us upset and start an argument with Mr. Kinney!”

“I’m not lying,” Justin shouted, refraining himself just in time from stomping his foot. He could feel his blood pressure rising. “Whether you choose to believe me and start thinking of something, or you wait until Monday morning, when Brian has already scheduled a meeting with us. If you want to go into that meeting unprepared, suit yourselves! I recommend bringing lube.”

As he spoke, Justin could see all his colleagues looking terrified, but he had stopped caring what they thought of him.

“Good speech, Taylor,” Brian said proudly from behind him.

Justin's breath hitched. Brian had heard his speech. He was probably livid. Justin gathered his courage to turn and face an amused Brian.

“That last part must have made an impression on them. Look how scared they are,” Brian joked.

“I’m sorry,” Justin mouthed.

“I figured you weren’t going to believe the newest hire, so I decided to deliver the message myself. I must say, Justin has a way with words.”

“It wasn’t a sick joke?” Alice asked in disbelief.

“Which part? The one where we got fucked without lube—” Brian caught Justin's eye. “—or the one where you’re gonna need the lube in our meeting if you don’t come prepared?”

There were some quiet chuckles, which died down when Brian advanced into the room. He stood in front of Kyle’s desk, planting his hands on top of it.

“This ad – promoting us – is crucial to our future. I want all of you to give it your best. If any one of you thinks of a better idea than what the others say, speak up! You know I take into consideration all potential ideas before I make the decision.” Brian swept the room with his eyes, finally stopping at Justin, who had retreated to his desk and was trying to hide behind Derek. “I expect your solution to save Kinnetik on the meeting we have Monday at ten.”

Everyone nodded, agreeing, even if some were still doubtful of the bad news.

“Have a nice weekend!” Brian left the office, without a glance at Justin.

“I could tell you weren’t making it up,” Derek mumbled, as the room exploded in noise once the door was shut after Brian.

“Thanks,” Justin muttered, gathering his things. “I’m in a hurry. See you on Monday.”

“Bye!” Derek patted his back.

Justin slid his messenger bag over his head, slipping out the door before Alice could reach him. He noticed her walking toward him, but shutting the door in her face was oddly satisfying.

As he walked outside, he pulled out his phone and called his mother. She better have good news regarding Justin's apartment hunting.

“Honey! I was just about to text you,” she answered, sounding worried.

“I’m all done for today. Give me good news.”

“The apartment you liked was taken off the market, and as for the condo on Baker… there was no way to convince the owner to go any lower with the price.”

“Fuck,” he spat, pushing the front door open. He shook a cigarette out of the box, lighting it up promptly.

“Don’t curse, Justin,” she chided him.

He inhaled the nicotine greedily, so he wouldn’t snap at his own mother. “I’m destined to be the cliché gay guy, who lives with his personal fag hag.”

“You could always come live with us.”

“That’s a thousand times worse. I’m thirty, Mom. No way am I going to live with you!”

“I’ll look at other apartments and let you know on Monday,” she said soothingly. “Maybe there’s something else out there for you, waiting around the corner.”

“God, don’t start with your shit about fate and something better around the corner.” Justin knuckled his forehead.

“In other news, what do you say about brunch on Saturday?”

“Your place?” Justin asked, unlocking his car.

“Yes. You don’t have to bring anything.”

“What if I want to bring someone?” he joked.

“Do you have something to tell me?”

“It was a joke, Mom. But I might drag Daphne out of the house. See you tomorrow!”

After he hung up, he put out his cigarette, before getting in his car. He was completely in love with it.

The Taurus had arrived the previous day, and Justin couldn’t wait to drive it for longer than the short commute to work and back home.

His phone pinged with a message.

Britin? Tonight?

How long?

Overnight :)

If E won’t report you as missing…

He’s going out of town.

Business or pleasure?

Same reason we’re meeting.

See you there in a couple of hours, stud!

Justin chucked his phone into the passenger seat right when Brian and Evan stepped out of the building. He noticed how they both tensed up, looking around, before reaching out for each other’s hands.

 

It had to be exhausting to pretend to be in a relationship, when it was clear there was nothing between them. Except maybe some unresolved sexual tension. Or resolved, Justin reminded himself.