Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry it took so long for this update!  Hope you enjoy it.

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 7

 

While Lily & Liam had a little nap, Brian took Gus & Kevin downstairs for some train time.  Justin used the time to sketch Gus & Kevin holding the twins.  He studied one of the photos as he drew.  Jennifer relaxed across the room but observed Justin as he worked.  She didn't get many chances to see Justin sketch these days.   She remembered watching Justin do this countless times since he was a small boy.  She smiled as he pulled his lower lip between his teeth, he had done this when he concentrated for as long as she could remember.

 

Justin glanced over at his mother and chuckled.

 

"Mom, what are you looking at?  You have to have seen me sketching about a million times over the years."

 

Jennifer nodded.

 

Probably.  It is something I never get tired of watching.  It makes me proud that I produced such a talented son.  I think of all Craig missed out on when he cut you out of his life.  He was such a foolish man."

 

Justin blushed and tuned back to his sketch just as the doorbell rang.  He looked back to Jennifer.

 

"Wonder who that can be?  I think we let everyone know we aren't quite ready for visitors yet."

 

He threw the sketch pad on a table and walked to the front door.  He was surprised to see their mailman standing on the front step.

 

"Hi Justin.  I have a certified letter that you have to sign for."

 

Justin signed the form and exchanged it for the legal size envelope the mailman held.

 

"Charlie told me the twins arrived so congratulations to you and Brian."

 

Justin thanked him and shut the door.  The envelope had a return address of a lawyer Justin had never heard of before.   He walked back into the family room.  Jennifer looked up.

 

"Who was at the door honey?"

 

"The mailman, he had a certified letter for me from Nick Faneri, Attorney at Law.  No idea who he is or what this is all about."

 

Just tore open the envelope and took out a thick pile of papers.  He glanced at the cover letter and laughed.

 

"This guy is the lawyer for Craig's girlfriend.  Or as he refers to her as Craig's fiancée.  She is making a play for half of Craig's assets since she is carrying his child."

 

Jennifer came over to read the letter for herself.

 

"What are you going to do about this?"

 

Justin shrugged.

 

"Nothing.  I see that he sent this same letter and information to Rob Mahan.  He is handling Craig's estate so he can deal with Allison and her delusions.  Don't bring this up in front of Gus.  I'll talk to Brian later."

 

Jennifer nodded.

 

"Poor Gus would just be confused, I won't say anything."

 

Peter came down the backstairs from his room just as Lily & Liam woke up.  Peter was startled by the timing.

 

"Did I wake up the babies?"

 

Justin smiled.

 

"No Buddy, just a coincidence.  Would you do me a favor and go down to the train room and tell Gus and Kevin that I could use their help with the twins."

 

"Sure Papa."

 

The boys quickly appeared and hurried over to Justin.  Gus took the lead.

 

"Kevin and me are ready to help Papa.  What do you need us to do?"

 

Kevin nodded his head in agreement and both boys looked up at Justin, anxious to hear how they could help him.  Jennifer was out on the kitchen heating two bottle.  Justin smiled down at Gus & Kevin.

 

"How about you guys sit on the couch, like you did earlier, and you can feed Lily and Liam their bottles."

 

Justin almost laughed out loud at the look of wonder on both boys faces and they quickly scrambled up on the couch.  Jennifer came over and handed one bottle to Kevin and the other to Gus.  She and Justin retrieved Liam & Lily from the bassinet and carried them over to the couch.

 

Jennifer helped settle Liam onto Gus's lap before sitting beside him.  Justin got Kevin in the correct positon to hold Lily securely before he joined his mother and the boys on the couch.

 

Justin & Jennifer showed the boys the correct way to hold the bottles.  Both looked very serious about their feeding duties.  Brian & Peter appeared from the lower level and both smiled at the scene in the family room. 

 

Brian walked over to the couch.

 

"Wow Gus and Kevin!  You guys look like you are doing a great job.  Thanks for helping us out with the Lily and Liam."

 

Both boys got huge grins on their faces but kept their attention focused on the babies they were feeding.  Peter took a couple pictures with his phone.  He sent the photo of Gus to his mothers & Debbie.  Kevin's photo was sent to his parents.  The O'Briens and John had just gotten in the car when Roxanne gasped in surprise.  Greg, Patrick & John all asked her what was wrong and she showed them the photo of Kevin happily feeding Lily.

 

Greg & Roxanne both had tears in their eyes as they quickly kissed.  Patrick & John rolled their eyes.

 

Justin & Jennifer did burping duty while explaining what they were doing to Kevin & Gus who were both fascinated by the process.  Liam & Lily were enjoying the second half of their bottles when John & the O'Briens walked into the family room.

 

Kevin looked up briefly before returning his full attention to Lily.

 

"I can't leave yet.  Uncle Justin asked me to help with feeding Lily."

 

His father told him that he was doing a great job and they were happy to wait until he was done feeding the baby.  Kevin reminded his father that her name was Lily.  Patrick came over and knelt by Kevin.

 

"Kevin you are doing such a great job!  I didn't know you knew how to feed a baby."

 

Kevin answered his brother but never took his eyes off Lily.

 

"Uncle Justin showed me how to hold Lily and the bottle.  Gus and me were playing trains with Uncle Brian but Uncle Justin sent Peter to say he needed our help."

 

Roxanne came over and gave her youngest son a kiss on the top of his head while Greg took a few pictures with his phone.

 

Lily was done her bottle and Justin burped her while Kevin closely observed the process.   Justin cuddled Lily while Kevin sat beside him.  He looked up at Justin.

 

"Uncle Justin do you need me to stay and help anymore or can I go home with my Mom and Dad?"

 

A smiling Justin looked down at Kevin.

 

"Thanks for all your help this afternoon Kevin.  I know Liam and Lily enjoyed spending time with you."

 

Grandmom Jen gave Kevin a big hug & kiss, he clung to her and told her he loved her which delighted her.  Brian ruffled Kevin's hair and thanked him for his help.  Gus gave his friend a hug good bye and a supremely happy Kevin left with his family.  Roxanne stayed back for a minute to thank Jennifer, Justin & Brian.

 

Brian surprised everyone by telling Roxanne.

 

"You never have to thank us for having Kevin here, it is always our pleasure to spend time with the little guy."

 

Roxanne surprised Brian by giving him a quick hug before hurrying out of the house.  Brian's aggrieved expression made the other residents of the house laugh even Gus.  Brian grabbed Lily off Justin.

 

"Come here Princess.  Daddy is going to tell you about all the things he will buy you.  We won't pay any attention to all these silly people."

 

He carried her out on the patio saying they needed to get some fresh.  Gus trailed after his father & sister while Jennifer cuddled Liam.  Justin said he had a couple things to take care of in the studio.  John & Peter headed down to the game room.

 

When Justin came back downstairs, Liam was asleep in the bassinet and Jennifer was napping in a recliner.  He headed out onto the patio.  He stopped for a moment, Brian was on a lounger with Gus in his lap and Lily was on Gus's lap.  Brian's arms were around both the kids, holding Lily firmly on her brother's lap.

 

When Justin strolled over to them Brian looked up with a smile. 

 

"Hey Sunshine.  Gus and I are having a nice chat while Lily has a little sleep."

 

Justin leaned down to deliver a kiss to his partner.

 

"Well her Grandmom and her brother are also getting some sleep inside."

 

Brian chuckled.  Justin pulled a chair over next to the lounger.  He, Brian & Gus talked softly while a content Lily slept.

 

The household, except for the twins, were just finishing dinner when Alice called to ask if Chuck, Nancy & their children could visit Lily & Liam.  Justin was happy to agree to a visit, another chance to show off the twins.

 

David, Suzanne & Mark was all happy to hold the babies and get their picture taken.  Justin had a sunshine smile the whole time as everyone agreed that Lily & Liam were adorable.  Brian was not able to maintain his no emotion face as he listened to everyone praising his son & daughter.

 

Gus took Mark downstairs for some train time, David went down to the game room with John & Peter.  Suzanne was happy to sit & hold Liam while her mother kept Lily on her lap.

 

After the Simpson Family left, Justin & Jennifer had a discussion about night duty for Lily & Liam.  Brian wisely escaped to the study while the Taylors dueled.  Justin eventually got his mother to agree to stay in the guest room and let him & Brian do night duty for Liam & Lily.

 

Justin & Brian were up twice in the night with Liam & Lily but found the babies were easily soothed back to sleep using their custom made rockers.  Before going to bed Jennifer & John made plans to get up early and take the babies downstairs before Brian & Justin woke up.

 

Early in the morning they crept into the nursery and John quickly turned off the baby monitor.  He carried the bassinet down to the family room.  When Lily & Liam woke a short time later, Grandmom Jen & Cousin John got their diapers changed and were feeding them bottles when Brian appeared.

 

Jennifer looked up.

 

"Justin still asleep?"

 

Brian smiled.

 

"You know your son well.  He is sound asleep.  When I looked at the clock and realized there was no noise from the nursery I figured you two had kidnapped my children."

 

Brian leaned over to kiss the twins on the head before going to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and make his wheat toast.  He watched as John & Mother Taylor expertly burped Liam & Lily. 

 

Brian prepared a cup of coffee for Justin before coming over and gathering his children in his arms.  He got upstairs just as Gus emerged from his room.

 

"Come on Sonny Boy, let's wake up your Papa."

 

Gus had a big smile on his face as he opened the master bedroom door for his Daddy.  Justin was still sound asleep.  Gus carefully climbed onto the bed. Brian placed the coffee cup on Justin's bedside table.

 

"Time to wake up Sunshine, you have visitors."

 

Justin reluctantly opened his eyes but smiled when he saw the twins in Brian's arms.  Gus giggled and Justin turned to see his older son kneeling on the bed beside him.

 

"Well I normally hate to wake up in the morning but with all my children here together this is pretty great."

 

Gus gave his Papa a good morning kiss and moved back so Brian could place his brother & sister on the bed beside Papa.  Gus said hello to Lily & Liam who looked at him with wide open eyes.

 

Justin smile got even bigger.

 

"Gus new babies usually aren't really aware of their surroundings but I think Liam and Lily know you are their big brother.  They already love you."

 

Gus's smile went ear to ear as he looked down at the twins.

 

"I love them too Papa.  I am going to be the best big brother I can be for them."

 

Brian got on the bed beside Gus.

 

"Sonny Boy, your Papa and I know what an awesome big brother you will be.  Lily and Liam will love you so much!"

 

Gus was at a loss for words but extremely happy & proud.  Justin's stomach let out a loud rumble which startled the babies who started to cry.  Brian and Gus burst out laughing as Justin attempted to calm the newest additions to the family.

 

They all went back downstairs Brian & Justin each carrying a baby and Gus carrying Justin's coffee.  Jennifer was in the kitchen making waffles for breakfast.   Justin walked over and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek.

 

"Wow Mom!  We may not let you go home today.  You are spoiling us."

 

Jennifer just laughed as she continued to make breakfast for the family.

 

The doorbell rang as breakfast cleanup was winding down.  Brian turned to Gus.

 

"That must be Grandmom Debbie and Grandpop Carl.  Why don't you let them in?"

 

Gus was off like a shot and they could hear Debbie's usual loud greeting.  The three of them came in to the family room with a happy Gus riding in Carl's arms.  Gus directed Carl to the bassinet where Lily & Liam were sound asleep.  Debbie followed behind.

 

It was Carl's first time to see the twins and he agreed with the majority opinion that they were adorable.  Debbie added that "they looked like fucking angels" which made Gus giggle.  Grandmom Debbie's colorful vocabulary & over the top behavior was all part of her appeal to Gus.

 

Debbie had, of course, come with some prepared food that could be used for lunches & dinners.  She told John that she knew he was a big help with cooking but she had heard that he was also a "big fucking help" with his new cousins.  That caused an embarrassed John to blush and escape to his room with Peter following him upstairs.

 

Brian laughed and shook his head.

 

"Well Deb you were able to scare off my nephews pretty quickly."

 

An unconcerned Debbie just shrugged as she scooped up Liam Victor for some special attention.  Carl picked up Lily and remarked that she looked exactly like Justin.  Jennifer again insisted that photos be taken so Debbie, Carl, Gus and the babies posed on the sofa.

 

Gus was happy to show Debbie & Carl the sketch book from when he was a baby.  Carl was especially interested in seeing the sketches since he wasn't around when Gus was a newborn. 

 

Debbie was quick to let Justin & Brian know that she was available any time for babysitting.   She had already had Carl get down Michael's crib from her attic.  She planned to repaint it.

 

Justin was quick to point out that the crib might have lead paint.  He told Debbie he would order a new crib to be sent to her house.  Debbie pointed out the crib had been used for Michael, Gus & JR but Justin was firm.  No babysitting if Lily & Liam were put in that crib.

 

Everyone else tried to hide their smiles as the "discussion" got a little heated but in the end Justin triumphed.  When Debbie conceded, Gus went over to her.

 

"Don't feel bad Grandmom Debbie.  Daddy always says that when Papa is determined no one can change his mind."

 

Justin gave Brian a narrowed eye look.  Brian chuckled.

 

"Justin!  You know that is true."

 

Jennifer chimed in.

 

"He was always stubborn, even as a little boy.  I did warn you about him Brian."

 

That made everyone, even Justin, laugh.  Brian shrugged.

 

"Well I guess you have to take the bad with the good.  All thing considered I don't think I made out too badly."

 

That un-Brian like public compliment earned him a kiss from his stubborn partner.  When Debbie & Carl left, Brian asked Gus to go up and let his cousins know that Hurricane Debbie had moved on.  John & Peter reappeared with a laughing Gus slung over John's shoulder.

 

Once Liam & Lily had their late afternoon bottles, Jennifer announced that she was going to head home.  Since Brian was not going into Kinnetik the next day Jennifer was going to drop Gus at his mothers' house.

 

Gus was unhappy about leaving her new siblings so Jennifer sweetened the deal by saying they would stop at Dairy Queen on the way back to Pittsburgh.  Brian started to object to that plan but was quickly shut down by Mother Taylor.

 

Gus had picked a few sketches from Justin's book to take with him.  Justin put them in a small portfolio to protect them.

 

Jennifer pulled up in front of the house.  She told Gus to grab his backpack and she would carry the portfolio.  It was a nice spring day so the windows in the house were open.  As they crossed the porch Jennifer heard a familiar voice talking with Melanie & Lindsay.

 

She couldn't hear everything but she did hear "Florida" and the "house shows really well".  Gus opened the front door and announced he was home.  Jennifer followed him into the house.

 

Karin Fox, a real estate agent Jennifer had done business with, was standing in the dining room with Gus's moms.  All three women looked a little startled to see Jennifer.

 

Lindsay knelt down to get a hug & kiss from Gus.

 

"Sweetie, I'm surprised to see you so early.  I thought you would be coming home later."

 

Jennifer assumed her country club smile.

 

"Well Lily and Liam had their bottles and were settled back to sleep so I thought Gus and I would get on the road.  I hope that isn't a problem."

 

She turned to Karin.

 

"Karin, how lovely to see you.  I didn't know you knew Mel & Linds."

 

Karin looked quickly at Mel who replied.

 

"We know Karin from the LGBT center.  We are working on a project together."

 

Mel looked over at Gus.

 

Did you have a nice weekend Gus?  Hopefully the babies didn't distract your Dad too much."

 

"Liam and Lily are great!  They are really cute and I helped feed them.  Kevin came over yesterday and we both feed the babies.  Daddy and Papa said they think Lily and Liam already know I am their big brother.  It was so much fun to be there!"

 

Jennifer's smile faded a little when Mel answered with an annoyed look on her face.

 

"Of course they had Kevin over to the house while you were there."

 

Gus just nodded and Jennifer handed him the portfolio to take up to his room with his back pack.  Karin said good bye quickly and left.  Lindsay found something to do in the kitchen.

 

Jennifer faced Melanie.

 

"I don't understand why you found it necessary to say something about Kevin coming to the house.  He is a very sweet little boy and he adores Gus."

 

Melanie stood her ground.

 

"I don't like that his parents along with Brian and Justin want to force him on Gus.  Its fine once in a while but they were already distracted by the new babies and then push Kevin onto Gus.  If they didn't have the time to spend with Gus maybe he should have stayed home.  That is what we suggested."

 

Jennifer's smile never faltered.

 

"I find it fascinating that you, who trumpets her works with the downtrodden and minimalized people in the world are so dismissive of a child like Kevin.  Maybe if you took the time to actually spend some time with him you would appreciate all his good qualities.  I find it inspirational that Gus is such an accepting child and am amazed you don't feel proud of him for that quality."

 

"Jennifer I have told you before that how we raise our son is not really your concern."

 

Jennifer laughed.

 

"I am concerned about many things Melanie and let me assure you, once again, that your opinions mean nothing to me."

 

Gus suddenly reappeared and Jennifer gave him a hug & kiss good bye.  One final appraising look at Melanie and Jennifer left.

 

As soon as she got home Jennifer called Brian's cell.  He was doing a little work in the study when she called.

 

"What's up Mother Taylor?  Did you forget something?"

 

"No Brian.  I want to let you know about dropping off Gus."

 

Brian frowned.

 

"What happened?"

 

"As we walked across the porch to the door I heard Melanie and Lindsay talking to another woman inside the house. I couldn't heard the whole conversation but I heard Florida and that the house shows well.  The other woman is a real estate agent I know.

 

They all seemed surprised to see us.  Mel claimed they knew the woman, Karin Fox, from the LGBT center and they were working on a project together.  I know Melanie has family in Florida so I thought you should know what I overheard.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bitch is planning on moving."

 

Brian smiled at Jennifer's description of Mel and thanked her for calling.  He assured Jennifer that he would look into the matter.

 

Brian's first call was to the private detective he sometimes used.  He also emailed Larry Buchanan, his attorney, about the joint custody agreement that was in place for Gus.  He wanted to know if Mel & Linds could move Gus out of state without his permission.

After he did that he let Justin know what Jennifer had told him.  As he excepted Justin was livid.