Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 6

 

When Grandmom Jen and Gus arrived at the house almost everyone was gathered in the family room-kitchen area.   Cassie & John were changing Lily & Liam's diapers.  Peter had been dispatched to the nursery to bring down clean onesies.   Brian was checking his emails and Justin was having a snack.  Alice was working on dinner and Charlie was out working in the garden.

 

Gus ran over to his Daddy who quickly got rid of his laptop.  Brian swept his son up in arms to give him a hug and kiss.  Gus told everyone hello before he got put down.  He hurried over to see his new sibling.  Liam & Lily, he turned to his Daddy with a shocked look on his face.

 

"Daddy what is wrong with their belly buttons.  Did Lily and Liam get hurt?  Will they be okay?"

 

Brian trying very hard not to laugh couldn't answer for a moment.  Justin came over to Gus.

 

"Gus, the twins are fine.  Before they were born Liam and Lily got fed through something called an umbilical tube.  That tube gets cut after a baby is born, so the part that is still attached to the twins will dry up and fall off.  After that their belly buttons will look more like ours."

 

"Good I wouldn't want the babies to have something hurt them.  I'm the big brother so I will always look out for them."

 

Justin pulled Gus in a hug.

 

"You will be the best brother in the world.  Lily and Liam are so lucky to have you as a big brother."

 

Brian agreed and Gus was on top of the world.   His Daddy told him to take his backpack up to his room and change out of his school clothes.

 

When Gus reappeared Justin was standing over the bassinet watching his son & daughter.  A sketch pad clutched in one hand.  Gus came over to him and looked down at his brother & sister.

 

"What are you looking at Papa?  Liam and Lily are just sleeping."

 

Justin smiled down at his oldest son.

 

"They are so new that I just can't stop looking at them.  Each little movement or sound seems so special."

 

Gus looked a little confused it didn't seem to him that the babies were doing anything very interesting.

 

"You know Gus sometimes when you fall asleep after I read to you, Daddy and I stand a while to look at you while you sleep.  That is what parents do; everything you do is special to us, something we want to remember.

 

When you were a new baby and I would babysit you when your Moms were busy, I used to spend a lot of time just watching you.  You were the first baby that I really spent lot of time around.  I remember when Molly was a baby but I wasn't very happy about her arrival.  I liked being an only child."

 

Jennifer, listening from the kitchen, laughed.

 

"That is the truth Gus.  Your Papa was very unhappy when Aunt Molly was born.  Sometimes I think he is still working on resolving that jealousy."

 

"Mom, I am happy with Molly being around most of the time now."

 

That made everyone laugh, even Gus although he wasn't sure what was so funny.  He felt pretty much the same way about his younger sister, most of the time she was just annoying.

 

Justin looked down at Gus.

 

"Hey Little Man, come up to the studio with me.  I want to show you something."

 

Alice & Jennifer reminded them that dinner was almost ready as Justin & Gus went up the back stairs.

 

Up in the studio, Gus watched while Justin went through a couple drawers in a file cabinet before he found the sketch book he was looking for.  He handed the book to Gus.

 

"Gus, this has a lot of the sketches I did of you when you were a little baby."

 

A fascinated Gus opened the book and looked through the pages of sketches.

 

"This is me Papa?"

 

Justin smiled.

 

"Yup.  I told you I spent a lot of time looking at you and sketching you.  I loved you from the first time I saw you.  Just like Daddy and I love Lily and Liam.  You know what Grandmom Jen says, the more people you have to love the more love there will be for everyone."

 

Gus had a big smile on his face as he paged through the sketch book.  There were even some sketches of baby Gus being held by Mommy, Mama and Daddy.  They all had big smiles on their faces as they gazed down at Gus.

 

"Papa, can I take this downstairs and look at it more after dinner?"

 

"Sure you can.  We might want to even think about having a couple of those sketches framed.  We could hang them on your bedroom wall here and in your bedroom at your Moms' house."

 

Gus was very excited about that idea and when they got downstairs he hurried over to show his Daddy the sketch book.  Brian told him that he remembered Justin was always sketching Gus.  John & Peter were also very interested in seeing the sketches of baby Gus.  Justin was quite pleased that he remembered this sketch book.  He felt like he was helping to offset any jealous feeling from Gus.  It was a very tangible way of showing how excited everyone was about baby Gus.

 

Alice announced that dinner was ready.  She and Jennifer set up breakfast bar as a Buffett.  Everyone filled their plates and went into the dining room.  Alice & Charlie joined the rest of the family for dinner.  Since Brian, Justin & Jennifer were all determined that Gus not feel neglected this weekend, he received a lot of attention at dinner.

 

Once dinner was over, Charlie & Alice went over to the cottage, Peter & John cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher while Brian & Gus headed downstairs for a little train time.  Liam & Lily were ready for their next meal so Justin & Jennifer each grabbed a heated bottle and a baby.

 

Papa and Grandmom Jen sat at opposite ends of a sofa with huge smiles on their faces.  They kept up a conversation with the babies as they fed them their bottles.  John & Peter could be heard laughing in the kitchen at the ridiculous conversations.  This encouraged the bottle givers to try to outdo each other with silly, one sided conversations with Lily & Liam.

 

Eventually John & Peter came into the family room and hung over the back of the sofa to watch their cousins getting fed.  They were in time to observe burping the babies.  Lily was ready first and cooperated with her Grandmother by delivering an excellent burp without too much effort.  Liam took a little longer to consume half his bottle and required more effort from his Papa to coax a burp out of him.

 

Jennifer looked down at Justin, at the other end of the sofa. 

 

"Justin, I want to ask you something while Gus isn't around.  Kevin has been so excited about the twins' arrival.  I know he is anxious to meet them.  Would it be alright if I went to pick him up tomorrow afternoon and brought him over here for a visit?  I know you probably want to check with Brian but I think it would mean the world to Kevin."

 

Before Justin could answer John spoke up.

 

"I have a game tomorrow and the O'Brien are going to pick me up.  Patrick said his parents figured you and Uncle Brian would be busy with the babies.  Maybe they can drop Kevin off when they pick me up.  He could go home with them after the game."

 

Justin had forgotten all about John's soccer game.

 

"John, I'm sorry we forgot about your game.  Uncle Brian could go, he's made most of your game.  He can take you."

 

John chuckled.

 

"Well you have had a lot on your mind so I forgive you forgetting about the game.  It is not a big deal.  I would feel bad for Uncle Brian to miss time with Liam and Lily.  The O'Briens are going to the game anyway.  It's not a big deal for them to pick me up.

 

Jennifer stood up with Lily and handed the empty bottle to Peter.

 

"Take this out to the kitchen for me please.  This young lady needs a new diaper.  After I clean her up I'll call Roxanne.  Is that okay with you Justin or do you want to wait and talk to Brian?"

 

Justin smiled.

 

"No, go ahead and call the O'Briens'.  Brian will be fine with Kevin spending some time here."

 

When Gus & Brian returned from train time,  Jennifer was still holding Lily and Justin had Liam lying on the sofa beside him. 

 

Gus spent some time just looking at his new siblings.  Brian looked at Justin who just shrugged.  Brian stooped down to Gus's level.

 

"Sonny Boy what are you doing?"

 

"Well Papa said Liam and Lily do special stuff that's worth seeing.  I don't really get it.  They are really cute but they don't do much except lay there."

 

Brian smiled and gave Gus a hug. 

 

"That's okay Sonny Boy.  In a few months they will start to do more interesting stuff.  Meanwhile I don't think you will miss anything too important."

 

Justin told Gus that Kevin was going to visit tomorrow and he was excited to hear it.  Jennifer kept her eyes on Brian who surprised her by smiling and telling Gus how great it was that Kevin was coming to see Gus's new brother & sister. 

 

Jennifer went into the Parlor to call Roxanne and run their plans for the next day past her.  Roxanne was happy to see Jennifer's name come up on her phone.

 

"Hello Jennifer.  How are the twins doing?'"

 

"They are wonderful.  My unbiased opinion is they are extremely adorable.  The reason I am calling is we want Kevin to come and meet the babies tomorrow.  I know he has been anxious for them to arrive.  Gus is here for the weekend and he is excited about Kevin coming to visit.

 

I know you are picking up John for the soccer game and I thought you could leave Kevin here and pick him up after the game.  Justin and Brian wanted me to thank you for providing transportation to and from the game for John."

 

Roxanne laughed nervously.

 

"There is no need for any of you to thank us for taking John to the soccer game.  Jennifer I feel like I owe you all such a debt of gratitude that I'm honestly a little embarrassed to be thanked for something so minor.

 

You have been an unbelievable blessing for me and my family.   Kevin adores you, he worships Gus and he loves Brian and Justin so much.  You have all been so amazing with Kevin.  You have no idea how rare that is.  Are you sure you aren't busy enough with babies without adding Kevin to the mix?"

 

"Roxanne, my dear, you have no idea how much Kevin has enriched my life.  He is just so full of love. I think because we are a somewhat unusual family we might be a little more accepting than some people.  You should never feel that you owe us anything.  Being with Kevin is certainly not charity work for us.  He is a delightful little boy and we all treasure our time with him."

 

Roxanne was quiet as she got her emotions under control.

 

"Jennifer you have no idea how rare you attitude and acceptance are.  Kevin will be beyond happy to visit tomorrow.  As long as you are sure he won't be too much trouble."

 

Jennifer chuckled.

 

"Yes I am sure we can handle a visit from Kevin.  We'll see you tomorrow.  Again I want to stress that you don't owe us anything.  Patrick has been a wonderful friend to John.  Brian never give false compliments and often says what a great job Greg is doing at Kinnetik.  Kevin is a delight to all of us and you are an exemplary mother who I feel privileged to call my friend."

 

Roxanne choked out a good bye and disconnected the call.

 

Jennifer smiled, poor Roxanne she must have felt so alone dealing with Kevin.  Jennifer knew Greg was a devoted husband and father but mothers took so much of their children's issues onto their own shoulders.  She hoped she would never meet Roxanne's parents since they seemed like such uncaring, selfish people.  Jennifer smiled as she thought without ever meeting them, Roxanne's parents reminded her of Joan Kinney and that was NOT a good thing.

 

She went back to the family room area and reported that Kevin would get dropped off in the morning.  Gus was sitting in a chair proudly holding Liam on his lap.  Jennifer noticed Brian nearby ready to intervene if needed.  John was happily holding Lily and walking her around the room and talking quietly to her.

 

Justin and Peter were sitting at the kitchen deep in discussion about something.  Jennifer realized how silly it was to feel as filled with happiness as she did at this moment.  She was just so thrilled to be a part of this family.  Brian looked over at her with a funny little smile on his face.  She felt like he understood how she felt.

 

Jennifer insisted that Brian & Justin needed to get more sleep so she was going to take nursery duty.  Justin was skeptical about his mother's ability to cope with two babies for the entire night.  He knew better than to express that opinion to his mother.

 

Brian and Justin gave Lily & Liam their 11 PM bottles and left Jennifer alone with her grandchildren in the nursery.  Justin told his mother to just come knock on their door if she need help with Liam & Lily.

 

 As soon as they left John came down the hall and went into the nursery.

 

"Grandmom Jen, let's use the baby monitor in my room.  That way I can hear the babies when they wake up.  I can come down and help you with them.  That way the uncles can get a good night's sleep and perhaps a little romance."

 

John blushed a little at the romance comment which Jennifer thought was adorable. 

 

"That is so sweet of you honey.  I'll leave the monitor off unless I need you.  Thank you for being so willing to help."

 

She gave John a hug which caused another blush but he gave Jennifer a quick kiss on the cheek before returning to the bedroom with the receiving half of the baby monitor in his hand.

 

Jennifer handled the first feeding around 1:30 on her own.  It took a while to settle the babies after their bottles.  Liam & Lily were awake and ready for another bottle a little before 4:30 AM.  This time Jennifer called for John.

 

He appeared with a bad case of bed head and looking a little bleary eyed but did a great job feeding and burping Lily while Grandmom Jen took care of Liam.  After the feeding, they rocked the babies in the rocking chairs Tucker had made.  Jennifer used Justin's rocker and John used Brian's.  Lily and Liam were soothed to sleep quickly.  John returned to his bedroom and Jennifer settled back on the nursey day bed and fell asleep immediately.

 

Brian and Justin had a very romantic night which they both enjoyed very much.  Brian woke up around six o'clock and managed to disengage himself from Justin.  He pulled on some shorts and a T shirt and went over to the nursery.  He opened the door and saw Jennifer asleep on the day bed.  He checked the bassinet and smiled at his son & daughter sound asleep.

 

He grabbed the bassinet top and as quietly as possible walked out of the room and carefully shut the door.  Brain went down to the family room and settled the babies in the bassinet frame before going out in the kitchen to start the coffee maker.

 

Brian had his first cup of coffee, guava juice and wheat toast while Lily & Liam slept peacefully.  Just as Brian was finishing his coffee Peter and John made their appearance.  Both boys went over to check out their sleeping cousins.

 

John smiled over at his uncle.

 

"Is Grandmom Jen awake?"

 

Brian shook his head.

 

"She was sleeping peacefully when I grabbed the babies and brought them down here.  Her newest grandchildren might have kept Mother Taylor from getting much sleep last night."

 

Peter chuckled.  John smiled at his uncle.

 

"I think Liam and Lily behaved pretty well last night.  I helped give them their bottles around four thirty Grandmom said she had handled them on her own at one thirty."

 

Brian eyebrow went up.

 

"Did Jennifer come to your room to get you this morning?"

 

"No.  I took the receiver from the baby monitor to my room.  Grandmom said she would call me on that if she needed help.  It was no big deal, I was happy to help her."

 

Brian had an odd expression on his face and just nodded.  He fixed a travel mug of coffee.

 

"I'm going to take this coffee up to Uncle Justin.  You guys keep your eyes on the twins.  I be right back."

 

His nephews agreed and Brian went upstairs.  Justin was just coming out of the bathroom.  He smiled at Brian holding the mug of coffee.

 

"You're up early today Sunshine."

 

"I want to check on Mom and see how she made out last night."

 

Brian brought Justin up to date on what John had told him.  Justin got what Brian considered his "wistful face".

 

"That was so sweet of John.  Mom must have been delighted.  Thanks for the coffee but I'm ready to go downstairs."

 

He came over to Brian, took the mug of coffee and gave Brian a kiss.  The two men went down to the kitchen together.  John & Peter were debating who would come down first, Grandmom Jen or Uncle Justin.  When Justin & Brian walked into the kitchen area Peter got a big smile on his face and turned to his brother.

 

"Hah!  You have to do my laundry for the next week."

 

Brian looked confused.  John was frowning.

 

"It was a stupid bet but since when does Uncle Justin get out of bed this early.  Especially since I can't imagine he got a whole lot of sleep last night."

 

Justin turned completely red and Brian smiled and took a bow.  A little voice startled them all.  Gus was standing in the door to the entrance hall.

 

"Daddy and Papa what are you doing out of bed so early?"

 

That comment led to more laughter which woke Liam & Lily.  Brian and Justin went over to grab their babies.  Peter announced he would heat the bottles.  Daddy & Papa checked diapers and told Peter the bottles could wait a couple minutes.

 

Gus remembered JR's diapers so he moved to the kitchen, farther away from stinky diapers.  John offered to make him some scrambled eggs and Gus was happy to say "Yes Please."

 

As Gus, his brother & sister were all finishing up their breakfast Grandmom Jen put in her appearance.  She was careful to say good morning, first to Gus.  He hurriedly climbed down from his stool and ran over to give Grandmom Jen a good morning hug & kiss. 

 

She walked over to where John cleaning his scrambled egg pan.  She put her arm around his waist.

 

"Good morning and thank you again to my baby feeding, diaper changing partner.  She looked over at Justin and Brian.  John woke up early this morning and helped me with Lily and Liam."

 

Justin nodded.

 

"Yeah we know.  I guess you just never realized just how helpful John is.  He is such a great guy, I'm surprised you haven't noticed."

 

Jennifer was startled for minute.  She turned to John who was smiling.

 

"He is just playing you Grandmom.  Uncle Brian wondered how you made out last night so I told him that we teamed up on the four thirty feeding."

 

Jennifer looked over at Brian and Justin who both had grins on their faces.  She chose to ignore them as she made herself breakfast.  John went upstairs to dress for soccer and Grandmom Jen suggested to Gus that he get dressed before Kevin arrived.

 

Gus was just coming down the stairs when the doorbell rang.  He went over to the door and asked who was there.  A little voice answered.

 

"It's me Kevin!"

 

Gus pulled the door open and opened his arms to hug Kevin.  Kevin said hello in a quiet voice unlike his usual shouted greeting to Gus.  Gus was puzzled.

 

"Kevin do you have a sore throat?"

 

"No!  Mommy said I have to be quiet around the new babies."

 

Gus shook his head.

 

"Papa said that Lily and Liam have to get used to noises during the day.  Come see them.  They are so tiny and cute.  Guess what!  Grandmom Jen is here too."

 

Gus grabbed Kevin's hand and led the way to the family room.  The rest of the O'Brien family, who had not run at full speed to the door, came inside after Gus & Kevin had already departed.  Justin hurried into the entry hall, with a smile on his face, to greet them.

 

They followed Justin back to the family room.  Jennifer was standing with Gus & an awestruck Kevin looking at Liam & Lily in their bassinet.

 

Kevin turned to his family.

 

"Come see Lily and Liam.  They are so cute.  Grandmom Jen showed us their hands and they have tiny little fingernails.  They don't have much hair yet but Grandmom Jen said it will grow."

 

Roxanne, Greg and Patrick came over to the bassinet.  Roxanne turned to Justin.

 

"Justin, they are beautiful.  Oh my goodness you and Brian must be over the moon."

 

Justin had a sunshine smile on his face and took Brian hand.

 

"The whole family is pretty excited by these new additions.  John has been a huge help.  He even woke up early this morning to help Mom feed his cousins."

 

That focused everyone's attention on John who just shrugged.  "It was no big deal."

 

John grabbed his soccer stuff and left for the game with most of the O'Brien family. 

 

Justin decided that Kevin and Gus should sit on a sofa and hold Lily & Liam.  The boys quickly scrambled up of the sofa.  Brian and Justin carried the babies over to them.  Justin handed Liam to Gus and made sure he was supporting his brother's head.

 

Brian took Lily over to Kevin.  He gave Kevin a few instructions about holding babies.  Grandmom Jen stood by with her camera.  Gus had Kevin had ear to ear grins on their faces.  They turned to look at each other holding the babies and burst out laughing.

 

Jennifer just kept snapping pictures.  She thought it was perhaps the cutest thing she had ever seen.  Gus and Kevin's delight was obvious.  Justin and Brian, both smiling, stood close by in case they needed to intervene.

 

Lily and Liam had their eyes wide open.  Gus was telling Liam who he was and that he loved him.  Kevin took the hint and explained to Lily that he was her cousin and that he loved her a lot.  Jennifer and Justin's eyes glistened with tears.

 

Peter was standing by Grandmom Jen and he suggested she sit on the sofa with the boys and the babies while he took more photos.  When the babies started to fuss a little their fathers took them back.  Kevin proudly announced that was the first time he ever held a baby and he really enjoyed it.

 

Justin said that he and Gus did a great job holding the twins which had both boys smiling with pride.  Brian made the boys even more excited when he said he thought Liam and Lily enjoyed being held by Gus and Kevin.