Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry I made you wait so long for this update.

 

To Have & to Hold Forever

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first, but this story will make more sense if you do.

Brian and Justin are established partners raising five children together. 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 33

Jennifer was surprised when she looked down at her ringing cell phone and saw her oldest brother's name displayed.

"Hi Eddie.  What's up."

"Hi Jen.  I want to start this conversation by saying, my purpose is not to upset or anger you."

Her eyebrows went up at her brother's greeting.

"That is quite an opening line."

"I know and I'm sorry.  Kate has been calling and mailing Jeff and I about Mama and her move to Pittsburgh.  She is trying her best to make the case that Mama isn't thinking clearly and that she is being taken advantage of by Justin and his partner."

Jennifer's eyes narrowed even though her brother wasn't there to see it.

"Well Eddie.  I must tell you that you have failed in your purpose.  I am really upset, and on my way to being truly furious."

"Jen please hear me out.  I'm not agreeing with Kate, but she is making headway with Jeff.  I don't want to see this become some kind of family rupture.  I am just trying to figure out what is going on with Mama.  We all thought she was settled with Kate and suddenly she flies, which we all know is not her favorite thing, across the country to visit Justin and his new twins.  Now she is planning to live with Justin and his partner.

Justin has always been her favorite grandchild; Mama has made that quite clear over the years.  Actually, he was Dad's favorite as well.  That made sense since you were Daddy's little girl.

Dad just about melted when Justin, with those big blue eyes, looked up at him with an expression of adoration on his face.  I always felt he inherited your ability to wrap Dad around your little finger.

Kate said when she visited Mama to see what was going on, Justin and his partner were very rude.  They refused to let Kate meet alone with Mama and eventually ordered her out of the house."

Eddie chuckled thinking about growing up.  Kate as the oldest always tried to boss him and his brother around.  When Jennifer was born Kate tried early on to try and control her.  Jennifer was always stubborn and all she had to do was bat her eyes at Dad and sit on his lap and he agreed with anything she said.  Kate always resented Jennifer.

Jennifer was also remembering growing up and how annoying she always found Kate to be.  Ten years apart in age and 100 miles apart in temperament, the sisters had never been close.  As adults they were coolly civil to each other.

Jennifer wasn't chuckling, she was wishing Kate was close enough to hit.

"Eddie, did Kate happen to mention to you that she arrived unannounced at Justin and Brian's house.  Mama had gotten tired of Kate's incessant phone calls that she had John, Brian's nephew, block Kate's number on her cell phone.

Kate came in the house and her attorney waited outside but Brian and Justin confronted him in the driveway.  He had a completed power of attorney ready for Mama's signature.  Of course, it named Kate as the POA. 

Mama asked Justin and Brian to stay with her.  Kate brought some cookies that her cook made.  She wanted to talk with Mama over tea and cookies.  Which we all know that is something Mama likes to do.  All three of them were put off by Kate's attitude.  Mama refused the cookies.

They had the cookies, that Kate brought, tested by the Washington County Sheriff.  They contained barbiturates.  Mama was terribly upset.  Brian wanted her to press charges against Kate, but Mama wouldn't do that.  Her lawyer did get censored, and the law firm let him go.  Brian was disappointed the lawyer didn't get disbarred."

Eddie was quiet for a few moments.

"That is not quite what Kate told us.  The thing is Jen, Mama let Jeff and I know that they are building a garage on their property with an apartment above for Mama.  She told us that she is insisting on paying for part of the construction costs.

Jeff told Kate and she now has him all worked up about Mama paying for something she doesn't own.  She said the house belongs to Brian and if anything happened in his relationship with Justin, then Mama and Justin have no recourse and Mama would be out the money.

We all know Mama is comfortable financially, but Kate claims this construction could have a negative impact on Mama's ability to pay for any future care needs she might have.  I'm sorry but I can't just ignore everything Kate says, she does have some valid points.  Jeff has asked me to come visit and talk with Mama to see what I think about her plans."

Now it was Jennifer's turn to chuckle.

"For that meeting, make sure Mama doesn't have any sharp object nearby and keep your distance.  Just to set the record straight; Brian and Justin own everything jointly.  No danger of Justin being put out on the street by evil Brian.  They own equal shares of everything, Kinnetik, TayKin art and quite a nice real estate portfolio.  I manage their rental properties.

Also, Mama has talked general terms about her financial position, and she is not in any danger of winding up on the poor house."

"Again, different information than Kate has shared.  I still feel I need to come for a visit.  I'm sorry if that upsets you."

"No Eddie, it will be nice to see you.  I have no doubt that Mama will put your mind at rest about her decisions.  You are welcome to stay with me, but I am about forty minutes away from Brian and Justin's house.

They live close to Washington PA.  There are several motels, and bed & breakfasts, where you could stay in Washington.  It is probably best if you rent a car."

Her brother told Jennifer he would let her know when he has made his travel arrangements.  She decided to let her mother and Justin know about the visit when she knew Eddie's travel details.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Anabel Harper called Ted at Kinnetik.  She let him know what her inquiries at the Welfare office had revealed. 

"My contacts, at the commonwealth Welfare Office, have supplied some information.  I asked them to see if anyone searched your name in their records.  One of their employees did a search on you and Blake in their adoption and custody database.

There was no official case opened but there was a search.  If they have an inquiry, their policy is that a case must be opened and approved by a supervisor before any database searches or investigation.  The employee who did this search has been warned in the past about searches without any official case being opened.

I also found out from a contact I have there that this employee is friends with your neighbor.  My contact told me that she thought the other search was also done at the request of that friend. 

They don't routinely look for searches but when I asked if you or Blake had been searched, they found this unauthorized search.  The employee has been counseled and put on a two-week suspension.  I think if you want to press this issue, we could get her fired."

Ted thanked Anabel and assured her that he didn't want to press to have the employee fired.  He told here that he and Blake had put off adopting Nina because of their past records.  Particularly Ted's conviction for hiring a minor for his porn channel.

Anabel asked if Viola was aware of his record and Ted admitted they had never discussed it.  She told Ted that she felt, with a sympathetic judge, she could get the adoption through the courts.  However, he had to let Viola know about his and Blake's history before that could happen. 

She told him there was no chance of anyone successfully challenging their custody of Nina while Viola was alive.  Since there were no relatives or close friends it was unlikely that anyone could successfully challenge the custody even when Viola died.  An adoption would ensure there could never be a challenge.  Ted thanked her for the information.  He said that he and Blake would discuss the adoption option.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Brian, Justin, Gus and the twins arrived in the kitchen about the same time as Peter & John.  Justin smiled at John.

"All set for your first driving lesson?"

John shrugged and Peter chuckled.

Justin looked over at Peter.

"What's funny about a driving lesson."

"John already knows how to drive.  Mom taught him."

An amazed Justin turned to John.

"You know how to drive?  Claire taught you to drive."

John shrugged again.

"It was kind of a necessity.  A few times when Mom was too blitzed to drive."

Brian joined the conversation.

"A family tradition.  Jack taught me to drive the same way."

A shocked John looked at his Uncle.

"Seriously?"

Brian nodded.

"Kiddo, you were not the first generation to experience Kinney style parenting.  Hopefully you will be the last to experience it."

Justin held Lily with one arm and put his other hand on Brian's back.

"Amen to that!"

Gus looked a little confused, but Daddy smiled at Papa, so he knew that everything was okay.

Lily announced she was ready for breakfast with a loud cry.  Peter chuckled and grabbed two bottles to heat.  Daddy and Papa sat on the couch, ready to feed the babies. 

John offered to make French toast for breakfast which meant shout of joy from Gus.  Liam and Lily seemed to be used to their brother's loud voice and it appeared to their fathers that their eyes moved around looking for their big brother.  The arrival of bottles shifted the attention of the hungry babies.

Granny and Alice arrived thru the patio doors at the same time.  Peter put the kettle on for Granny's tea and Gus went over to give both women good morning hugs.  He also announced John was making French toast for breakfast.  Granny said that sounded delicious.  Alice said that announcement made her sad that she had already eaten her breakfast.

Granny walked over to check on her great-grandchildren.  She gave Justin a kiss on the cheek and briefly laid a hand on Brian's shoulder.  Both men gave her a smile.  Granny moved over to the breakfast bar where Peter had placed her mug of tea.  She watched John prepare breakfast with a big smile on her face.

"John, you are really becoming an accomplished cook.  What a useful skill for you to acquire."

John chuckled.

"Grandmother Kinney thought this was part of the Uncles' plan to make me gay."

Granny just frowned and shook her head in amazement.

Peter had a big smile on his face.

"Last year at John's birthday dinner, Grandmom Jen asked Grandmother is she had ever watched the food channel and seen how many famous chefs are men."

Brian looked pointedly at Gus.

"We have all heard enough about your grandmother."

Peter grimaced and quickly agreed.  Brian gave him a smile to let him know he wasn't angry, just wanted the Joan conversation shut down.  Justin also gave Peter a smile which helped him relax.

Granny asked Gus about going to Kevin's house and what they planned to do.  Gus came over to lean against Granny's leg while he told her what Kevin's Mom had planned for their day.  Granny winked at Brian when he looked her way.

After Roxanne & Kevin picked up Gus and Charlie drove to Peter to his summer class, John asked to talk to the uncles. The three of them walked down to the study.

Brian and Justin sat on the sofa and John sat across from them.   Brian asked what was on John's mind.

"Grandmother called me.  She is hoping Peter and I could have lunch or dinner with her to celebrate my birthday.  She even suggested meeting for lunch at the diner.

After last year, I think we can all agree that it is not a good idea to include her in a birthday dinner here.  I did tell her that with Granny in the pool house and the twin schedule we weren't having a big party here at the house.  I let her know Grandmom Jen had rented the bowling alley for an afternoon for me and some friends.

I was thinking maybe Uncle Justin could take us to the diner.  Maybe he could have lunch with Emmett or Ted and Blake?"

Justin waited for Brian to reply.

"Well as we all know I prefer that we keep Gus and Joan apart as much as possible.  Luckily, he hasn't made the connection between Joan being your grandmother means she is his grandmother too.  I think he is too busy worshiping Mother Taylor to look for any other grandparents.  Of course, Granny has also fed into Sonny Boy's unfortunate fascination with old ladies."

Justin and John both chuckled before Justin added his opinion.

"I think lunch at the diner is a good idea.  We could do it Sunday.  See when Joan gets out of Mass and I'll see if Emmett is free to meet me."

John thanked his uncles and left the room.

Justin tuned to looked at Brian.

"Do those arrangements meet with your approval?"

Brian shrugged.

"If you don't mind taking the boys to the diner it is fine with me.  As long as I don't have to deal with Joanie, and she doesn't spend any time with Sonny Boy that is a good thing."

 Brian leaned over and gave Justin a kiss.

"Thanks for handling this, I owe you."

Justin leaned against his partner.

"It's fine.  I'll enjoy lunch with Em.  You have been such a good sport about Granny being here that I feel like this helps even things out."

Brian just laughed.   "The old girl amuses me.  Plus, I look at it as practice for dealing with Mother Taylor as she ages."

That comment had Justin laughing along with him.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

With Ted at Kinnetik and Nina spending the day with Viola, Blake decided to work from home.  He needed to finalize his budget proposals so that they could be reviewed before the end of the fiscal year.

He had come down from the office to put the seafood casserole in the oven, so it was ready to eat when Ted got home after picking up Nina.  Blake had just stared back upstairs to the office when the doorbell rang.

He was surprised to see Kathi Palmer, from across the street, standing on the porch.  He had heard from Ted about his encounter with the chief neighborhood gossip.  He still smiled, mystified by why she was here.

"Is your sugar daddy at home?"

Blake's smile faded.

"My partner, Ted, is at work.  What did you need?"

"I need to talk to him about what he did to a friend of mine.  She got suspended from her job because he had some lawyer poke into her private files.  I don't appreciate him targeting my friend."

Blake, who had spoken to Ted on the phone about Anabel's information, laughed out loud.

"You appear to spend a great deal of your time watching what everyone on this street is doing.  You have never returned a wave or a hello from Ted or me.  When you finally decided to speak to Ted it is to accuse him of buying our daughter. 

You appear to be a nasty, mean spirted gossip!  If your friend got disciplined for breaking the rules at her job that is just what they deserved.  You should feel guilty if you encouraged or coerced her into breaking the rules.  It had nothing to do with Ted or me.

Please do not ever come here again.  I can assure you we have no interest in having anything to do with a nasty person like you."

Before an astonished Kathie could reply, Blake firmly closed the door and turned the deadbolt.  She stood there for a moment looking at the closed door before turning around and going back across the street.

Her next-door neighbor was sitting on their front porch and witnessed Kathie's encounter with Blake.  She smiled at Kathie.

"Well, that was a well-deserved dose of reality.  Maybe now you will keep your nose out of things that do not concern you.

Blake and Ted are very nice people and good neighbors.  If you had asked me about Nina, I could have told you the whole story of how she came into their lives.  As always, you thought the worst of people and tried to stir up trouble."

Kathie ignored her and went in the house.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Jennifer sighed when she got the letter from Edward with his travel itinerary, he was arriving next week.  She knew she had to deliver the news of her brother's visit in person.  She couldn't decide who would be the most annoyed, her mother or Brian.  Her mother would be happy to have a visit from her son, but the purpose of his visit would annoy her.

An announcement visit would also mean Jennifer could spend some time with her newest grandchildren, so there was a definite silver lining to this news delivering trip.  Tucker fully embraced his new Grandpop status, so he was all for a trip to Washington.

Brian and Justin were sitting out on the patio, cuddling the twins, when Justin got a text from his mother saying she and Tucker were on their way for a visit.  He turned to Brian.

"Mom and Tucker are on their way for a visit.  Something must be up, she texted instead of calling."

Brian chuckled.

"You must be in trouble for something."

"Brian, you could be the one in trouble?"

Brian smiled and shook his head.

"I work very hard at staying off Mother Taylor's shit list."

Both men laughed.  Lily & Liam looked up at them wide eyed, startled by the sound.

Just as Tucker and Jennifer approached the driveway to the house, they noticed a car they didn't recognize turn into the drive.  Jennifer said she wondered who was in the car.  As Tucker pulled up to the garage, they were both surprised to see John get out of the driver door of the other car.

John looked over with a smile as he came over to open Grandmom Jen's door.  John was very aware that Grandmom Jen appreciated good manners and courtesy.  She exited the car with a smile before giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Sweetheart!  How was your first driving lesson?"

"It was great."

The instructor had come around the car.

"John said you were his Grandmom.  You can be proud of him.  He did really well with his driving."

Jennifer had a big smile on her face as she put her arm around John's waist.

"I am always proud of John.  He is a wonderful young man."

John blushed but his smile never dimmed.  Grandmom Jen's good opinion was important to all her grandsons.  When he thought about it, John was amazed at how important Jennifer's opinion had become to him in such a short time.

John and Jennifer led the way into the house with a bemused Tucker following.  He was secure with his place in Jennifer's life, but he knew how much she adored her role as Grandmom Jen.  She was always happy to be with any of her boys and whatever made Jennifer happy had Tucker's complete approval.

When they got in the house Granny and Brian were sitting on a couch in the family room.  Granny was feeding Lily and Brian was busy with his Sunbeam.  Granny looked up with a smile, Justin had let her know Jennifer and Tucker were coming for lunch.  She looked down at Lily.

"Lily, here is your Grandmom.  When you are a little older, she can show you all the tricks to wrap your Daddy around your finger.  With a nickname like Princess, you are well on your way.  Grandmom Jen is an expert at Daddy manipulation."

Brian assumed an annoyed face while John, Jennifer and Tucker all laughed.  Jennifer and Tucker came closer to get a good look at the grandchildren.  Jennifer smiled at Lily.

"Lily, I want you to know I learned everything I know about manipulation from the sweet old lady feeding you."

That brough a burst of laughter from the other end of the couch.  Brian looked down at his youngest son.

"Sunbeam always stay on the good side of your Grandmom Jen and Granny.  They turn mean when they are crossed."

Jennifer asked where everyone was and was told Cassie had the day off, Peter was in class, Gus was at the O'Brien's, Alice had gone to the farm and Justin was in his studio.  Jennifer said she would go up and visit with Justin.  Tucker and John decided to hit the pool.

Jennifer went up the back stairs and knocked on the studio door.  Justin called out to "Come in."

"Hi Mom.  What's up?"

Jennifer let her son know about her phone call from her brother.  Justin's facial expression was as far from a sunshine smile as possible.  His eyes narrowed and hardened when his mother told him about her sister Kate's slanted description of her visit.

"How could Uncle Ed fall for Aunt's Kate bullshit?  All he had to do was call Granny and ask her what really happened.  This is all so ridiculous.  Brian is going to be really annoyed."

Jennifer didn't say anything when Justin looked over at her.  Justin had a confused expression for an instant before realization dawned.

"Oh.  Evil Brian has not only brainwashed me, but he is controlling Granny too."

Jennifer nodded and she was surprised when Justin burst into laughter.

"I'm looking forward to Uncle Ed's visit now.  Granny will tear him into little pieces and stomp them into the ground.  Brian controlling Granny!"

Justin started to laugh again, and his mother joined in.

When they got downstairs baby feeding was over.  Granny was sitting at the breakfast bar chatting with Alice as she prepared lunch.  Daddy and Grandpop Tucker were walking around the patio, each of them holding a baby.

Justin stood by while Jennifer told Granny about the upcoming visit of her oldest son.  Neither of them was sure how Granny would react to the announcement of the reason for his visit.

When Jennifer was finished, Granny rolled eyes.

"Why do you suppose Eddie has started to pay attention to anything Kate has to say.  He never did in the past.  He listened to her and then did what he wanted.  Jeff normally went along with whatever Kate wanted.  Jennie, you always went for open defiance.  Always sure of your Dad's support."

Justin smirked at his mother who just shrugged her shoulders.

"Mama, I think Eddie is just assuming his normal peacemaker mode.  Kate has Jeff all worked up and Eddie just wants to find out what is going on with you.  You have acted a little out of character by flying across the country and suddenly deciding to live here."

Granny turned and gave her daughter a narrow-eyed look.

"I am in charge of my own life.  I can do whatever I want to do without asking for permission from anyone.  I am well past legal age and I have NO boss!"

Justin took her arm.

"Granny let's not shoot the messenger.  I never saw you make that face before.  Now I see where Mom learned it.  We are not the people who are questioning your behavior.  I also want to point out that if you let Brian try to get criminal charges against Aunt Kate.  If she was under indictment, she wouldn't be causing these issues."

Granny turned to Justin, her expression softening.

"You are correct Darling Boy.  I apologize for my misdirected annoyance.  Have no fear.  I will be fully reloaded when your uncle shows up."

Justin and Jennifer chuckled, and Alice announced lunch was ready.

Justin was amazed at how well Brian took the news of Uncle Ed's visit.  That reaction was probably helped because the visit was planned for a day Brian would be at Kinnetik.  Jennifer texted Roxanne O'Brien.  A short time later she arrived with Gus & Kevin who did not want to miss an opportunity to spend time with Grandmom Jen.  Patrick came along rather than stay home alone.

Jennifer and Tucker along with the O'Brien family stayed for dinner.  Brian called Kinnetik to let Greg know to come here after work.  Gus & Kevin were happy to read aloud to Granny for a while before feeding the twin's their bottles.

Brian kicked the soccer ball around with John and Patrick.  He also enjoyed watching Kevin and Gus giving Liam & Lily their bottles and helped with burping his youngest children.  When Peter got home, he enjoyed spending time with his Papa out on the patio.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

A few days later Justin took John and Peter to the Liberty Diner to meet their grandmother.  He was meeting Emmett and Rusty for lunch while the boys ate with Joan.  Debbie was on duty, so she had saved two booths for them.

Joan was the first to arrive.  Debbie got her seated and brought her coffee just before Justin, John and Peter arrived.  The boys joined their grandmother and Justin got in his booth just minutes before Emmett and Rusty joined him.

Joan greeted her grandsons with a smile.  She was surprised how much they had grown in since she saw them last.  John, in particular, was looking very tall & mature.  John and Peter slid into the opposite side of the booth.  They immediately sensed the change in their grandmother.  She seemed genuinely glad to see them.

"I'm glad you boys were able to meet me today.  It was nice of Justin to drive you up to the city."

John smiled.

"Uncle Justin is a really nice guy.  I'm pretty sure he would do his best to comply with any reasonable request Peter or I made.  It took me a little while to believe he was really nice, that it wasn't just an act."

Peter nodded his head.

"Papa has been nice to us since the first day we met him.  I know you don't approve of him and Uncle Brian because they are gay, but they have been amazing to John and me."

John was surprised to see that Joan had no reaction to his brother referring to Justin as Papa.  Debbie appeared to take their order and John was surprised again that the exchange between his grandmother and Debbie was friendly.  He had only ever heard his grandmother speak of Debbie disparagingly as that Novotny woman.

Joan was still smiling when Debbie left to turn in their orders.  Shue turned her attention back to her grandsons.

"You are correct I can't approve of their lifestyle, but I can see how happy you both are.  I know that Justin and Brian are taking good care of you.  I can't help wishing you weren't being exposed to their lifestyle, but you are both healthy and obviously happy."

John rolled his eyes and Peter gave his grandmother a sad look.  Joan tried to get a safe conversation going by asking what activities they were participating in over the summer.  When Peter talked about his summer class, Joan was amazed.

"Peter.  You are going to summer school?  You always did so well in your studies."

Peter smiled.

"It's an advanced math class at a local college.  It's not a remedial class."

John chuckled.

"I think the Earth would shift on it's axis if Peter ever had to attend summer school because he failed any class."

Joan found herself joining in laughter with her grandsons.  As they continued to talk about their life, Joan could see the change in Peter.  He was always a quiet, shy boy; overshadowed by his more self-confident older brother.  Joan had worried about Peter.  She understood how a lack of self confidence could blight a life.  After her counseling at rehab, Joan realized that her lack of self confidence had been the root cause of her unhappy, unsuccessful life.

She smiled at Peter.

"You seemed to have formed a very close bond with Justin.  Debbie told me that you call him Papa now."

Peter had a serious look on his face as he looked directly at his grandmother.

"He is the first adult I felt I could trust completely.  From the time we first went to live with them I felt Papa was interested in us.  That he cared what happened to us.  He took me along to the meetings he had about buying the art gallery.  He took me to California with him for his art show.

When that bully punched me at school, he came as soon as the school called him.  When we lived with Mother, and I was bullied she never came to school to talk about it.  She was contacted several times, but she never came.  John beat up one of the kids that bullied me, but he got in trouble, and nothing happened to the bullies.

I only ever had John to look out for me, for me to depend on.  I knew he was a kid like me but there was no one else.  Papa came to school, and he took on the Headmaster and the Dean of Students.  They wanted to suspend me, but Papa told them he would call his lawyer if they did that.   He told them that he and Uncle Brian sent us to their school so we wouldn't be bullied because we lived with two gay men.  Papa said the school didn't live up to its promises and his lawyers would make them sorry for that failure.

He took me to the emergency room to make sure I was okay.  When we got home Alice started to pamper me and then Grandmom Jen showed up.  She made John put the baby monitor in my room in case I needed her overnight.  John and Uncle Brian were about to tease me, but Grandmom Jen gave them her annoyed look and shut that down.

Mother ignored us, you never took much interest in us, you certainly never pampered us."

As Brian often said that despite her many failings, Joan was an honest person.  She could not dispute anything that Peter said.  She could see how Peter had changed.  She looked over at John.

"You still refer to him as Uncle Justin."

John nodded.

"Peter and I are different.  I always felt responsible for him.  I thought he couldn't look out for himself.  When he got so close to Uncle Justin, I was jealous at first.  Now I understand.  I wanted to solve Peter's problems for him.  Uncle Justin thought Peter could solve his own problems with just a little help.  He listened and offered advice.  He was honest and he was caring.

We talked about him wanting to call Uncle Justin, Papa, like Gus does.  I didn't encourage him.  I thought it was a mistake.  Now I can see how happy it makes Peter, so I guess it was the right thing for him to do."

Peter smiled and nodded his agreement.

Their conversation continued as they ate their lunches.  Joan said it was good that they were both doing so well with their schoolwork.  Hopefully that would lead to scholarships for college.

John nodded but Peter didn't let an opportunity to praise Brian and Justin pass.

"Scholarships are good, but Uncle Brian and Papa have set up trust funds for us to help pay for college.  They let us know that Granny had contributed to the trust funds."

Joan was confused.

"Are you calling Justin's mother Granny now?"

John chuckled.

"No, she is still Grandmom Jen.  Somehow "Granny" doesn't seem to really fit her.  Granny is her mother, Uncle Justin's grandmother.  She lives with us now.  The uncles are building a new garage and garden shed with an apartment on the second floor for Granny.  She used to live in California with Grandmom Jen's sister but came to see Lily and Liam and decided to stay.

She's funny and she's nice.  Even Uncle Brian likes her!  Apparently she is also really rich."

Peter chimed in.

"Uncle Brian even kissed her on the cheek!  That is a big deal, and he calls her Granny.  Gus loves her and she is crazy about him."

"Why would she contribute to trust funds for you boys.  She is no relation to you."

John looked at his grandmother for a moment before answering.

"According to Grandmom Jen we are all members of a "love family".  She thinks that is better than a "blood family".  Before Granny even got here, Uncle Justin told her that we were all important members of the family, and she could not ignore any of us."

Peter added his comments.

"In books and movies if someone is rich, everyone does what the rich person wants.  Not Papa and Uncle Brian or Grandmom Jen.  They never let anyone play favorites.  Papa and Uncle Brian treat Gus, Lily and Liam all exactly the same.  They make sure Gus knows that the twins need more attention but that doesn't mean they don't love him just as much."

John nodded his agreement.  Joan was astonished when her grandsons told her how much care Brian gave to Justin's children.  They explained that Brian and Justin loved all three children the same.  This was not the Brian Joan thought she knew.

Joan looked at photos of Lily and Liam on the boys' phones.  She had to agree that they were adorable babies.  The little girl looked just like Justin.

Even when lunch was done there was still a lot of conversation between Joan, John and Peter.  Joan paid for the birthday lunch and the talking continues.  Joan realized that they had been at the diner for over two hours.

"I hate to end our visit but I'm sure Justin wants to get home to his children."

When they got up both John and Peter gave their grandmother a hug and a kiss on the cheek.  Joan found herself close to tears as she patted their arms.

The three walked down to the booth where Justin was now sitting alone and sketching.  He stood up with a smile.

"Hello Mrs Kinney.  I hope you had a nice lunch with John and Peter.  I heard you all laughing so it seems like you all enjoyed yourselves."

"It was a very nice lunch.  Justin thank you so much for driving the boys up here.  That was very kind of you.  Your mother and I have been able to move to first names.  If you are comfortable with it, I would be happy for you to call me Joan."

John and Peter were astonished.

"Thank you Joan.  I'm happy to be on a first name basis with you."

"I also want to thank you for all you do for John and Peter.  I wish I could approve of your relationship with Brian, but I can't.

I do apologize for any trouble I caused you concerning the boys' custody.  I can see how happy they are, and I can see how much Peter has matured.  I know that has a lot to do with you.

I saw photos of your twins.  They are adorable children."

Now Justin was the astonished one.

"Thank you again Joan.  We'll have to see what we can do about getting you and the boys together more frequently."

Joan placed her hand briefly on Justin's arm.

"That would be very nice."

Joan said goodbye and quickly left.  Justin, John and Peter stood for a moment before Justin said "WOW!".  John and Peter laughed and they left for home.

When they got to the house Brian was in the pool with Gus.  Liam and Lily were on their cushion under the awning watched over by a beaming Granny. 

As they came out the door from the family room, Granny looked up.

"Lily and Liam are being so funny.  They keep looking around.  A bird walked around the patio; you should have seen them watching that bird.  Every time they hear Gus's voice their eyes open wide and they look for him.  They are getting so aware of their surroundings."

All three of them leaned over to give Granny a kiss on the cheek which had her smiling even more.

"How was lunch?"

Justin smiled.

"It was amazingly pleasant.  Joan and I are now on a first name basis.  Big improvement over being "Brian's kept boy".  I'm still a little shocked."

John and Peter laughed and said they were going to put on their bathing suits.

Gus shouted Hello and Brian looked over with a concerned expression.  Justin gave them a sunshine smile and he saw Brian relax.

He looked down at his son and daughter and saw them looking around.  When they started to get fussy, Justin asked Gus to come over and talk to them.

Gus plopped down on the cushion with his sibling and started to talk to them.  Liam and Lily looked at him and quieted down.  Justin told him that his brother and sister heard him and wanted a visit from him.

A delighted Gus leaned over and gave each of them a kiss.  The twins were a little startled to have water dripped on them from Gus's hair.  Gus started to sing them a silly song and Papa & Granny were amazed to see Lily and Liam hold hands.  Brian had just strolled over and put his hand on Justin's shoulder.  His favorite blond leaned back against him.

Granny wiped a tear from her cheek.

"I know it is early, but those babies know Gus and they love him already."

Gus looked over at Granny with a smile but kept singing.  When John and Peter came outside dressed to swim; Gus told Liam and Lily he was going to go back in the pool and he loved them.

Justin gave Granny a look as he led Brian to chairs on the other side of the patio.  She resumed watching her great grandchildren's antics.

Justin told an increasingly incredulous Brian about lunch and his conversation with Joan.  Brian asked if he was sure Debbie didn't put some pot in his lunch and it caused him to hallucinate.  Justin laughed as a wide-eyed Brian just slowly shook his head.  The thought that his mother asked Justin to call her Joan was hard to process.

In their bedroom that night, Brian refused to have any discussion of Joan and her behavior.  Instead he concentrated on worshipping Justin's body from head to toes before he fucked him.  Later in the shower both men delivered blow jobs to their partner before curling up in bed together.

They got two hours sleep before Lily and Liam demanded attention.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Carl and Debbie had decided on a daycare for JR, based on recommendations from Carl's friends at the precinct.  They signed JR up for 3 days a week and today Debbie was gong to take her granddaughter for her first day.

Debbie arrived early, not sure if JR would be washed, dressed and fed  She was mildly surprised when Lindsay opened the door.  Her hair was pulled into a casual bun at the back of her head and was wearing makeup.  Lindsay smiled at Debbie.

"Good morning.  You are a little early, JR is still eating breakfast.  Come in and have some coffee."

Debbie gave a quick look around the house as she followed Lindsay to the kitchen.  The house was in perfect condition.  Debbie thought Lindsay was back in her Suzy Homemaker mood.

In the kitchen Lindsay poured Debbie a mug of coffee and offered her a slice of cake.  Debbie realized the cake was homemade and told Lindsay it was delicious.  Lindsay smiled and said it was just a box cake.

As Debbie left with JR, she asked Lindsay what she was going to do with her free day.

"I am anxious to spend some undisturbed time in my studio.  I have to get prepared to show my art to Sidney and have enough ready for a show at the gallery."

Debbie smiled and wished her luck.  She thought it best not to mention that Justin would also have to approve a show at the gallery that he owned a controlling share of.  Although it had all be pleasant and cordial, Debbie visit had left her unnerved.

She chose to concentrate on her granddaughter.  Debbie was pleased how JR hurried into the daycare and got immediately involved in the activities.   Her grandmother couldn't help thinking how different the little girl was from her father.  Michael would have hung on to his mother's hand and would need to be urged to join in with the other children.  Not for the first time Debbie thought this little girl had inherited more her mother's personality than her father's.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

A few days later it was time for John's birthday party with his friends.  This year Grandmom Jen and Tucker were hosting a bowling party.  They rented 5 lanes at the bowling alley and arranged for a bus to pick the boys up at the county park and deliver them back there after the party.

Jennifer and Tucker drove to the park so they could supervise the bus ride.  Greg O'Brien met them and rode along as an extra chaperon.  The bus ride was loud but uneventful.  Everyone stayed on their seats.  John & Patrick had let their friends know that none of the adult chaperons were pushovers.  Grandmom Jen had requested phone numbers for every parent and John assured his friends she would call and have them picked up if they caused any issues. 

At the bowling alley, the 18 boys quickly divided into groups and choose alleys.  Jennifer supervised the setting up of the food she ordered.  Snacks, sodas and water were put out on tables for the boys.   While Jennifer oversaw food, Tucker & Greg wandered around the alleys, making sure there was no contraband or disputes.

The owner came over to chat with Jennifer and make sure everything was okay.  She smiled and told him everything was great.  They stood, watching the bowling and talked about when to serve the pizza, hot dogs & hamburgers.  Suddenly he noticed Jennifer frowning.

"What's wrong Mrs Taylor?"

"I know the man and his son coming over here.  I hope they don't make a scene."

The owner turned and saw Frank and Joe Harkins walking towards them.

"Frank is on a league who bowls here.  He always asks for the league rate when he come in with his son.  How do you know them?"

"Joe punched one of my grandsons in the face when he wouldn't give him answers to a math test.  That got him expelled from Washington Academy.  He used to be on the same soccer team with John and some of his guests."

The owner was shocked.

"One of the grandsons you brought here to bowl?"

"Yes.  John's brother Peter.  I just don't want a scene to ruin the party."

Frank had a big insincere smile on his face and extended his hand.

"Hello Jennifer.  Funny running into you at a bowling alley.  Joe just wanted to say help to some of his friends."

Jennifer ignored the extended hand.

"Hello Mr Harkins.  I'm afraid this is a private party and neither you nor your son are invited."

"This is a public place.  My son just wants to talk with his friends."

The owner had never liked Frank Harkins and did very much like Jennifer Taylor.

"Frank.  Mrs Taylor is correct.  She rented this section for a private party.  I think it would be best for you and your son to move along."

Greg walked over to Tucker.

"Should one of us go over there?"

Tucker shook his head.

"Jennifer will let us know if she needs us."

Frank Harkins was not happy.

"I'm not sure how much income you get from Mrs Taylor, but I know how much my bowling league pays.  I'd hate to have to persuade them to change locations for our league games."

Jennifer chuckled.

"Do you suppose you have more influence with the bowling league than you did with your friends in the Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary.  You threatened to have those friends leave Kinnetik for their advertising needs.  My understanding is that only one, not very profitable, company left.

You are a bully, and your son is a bully.  I thought you were well aware by now that my family does not cave into bullies.  We try to be accepting of all people but we make an exception for bullies.  We detest them!

This is a birthday party for my grandson.  I can assure you he is NO friend of Joe's.  Now please just go away."

"Frank.  I don't want any trouble.  Mrs Taylor has the right to limit who comes into this area of the building.  Please just leave this area."

Frank turned to the owner.

"You'll regret this."

Jennifer smiled at the owner as Frank and Joe exited the building..

"I hope I haven't caused you any problems."

The owner laughed.

"The head of the bowling league is a good friend of mine.  He doesn't like Frank Harkins any better than we do.  Let me know if you need anything.  I hope your grandson and his friends enjoy themselves."

As the owner walked away, Tucker came over and gave Jennifer a kiss on the cheek.

"Greg wanted to come over.  I told him you could handle Frank Harkins."

Jennifer chuckled.   "No wonder I love you so much.  You know me so well."

One of the guys bowling at the next alley to John had pointed out the Harkins talking to his grandmother.  When Frank & Joe slunk away, John looked over at him with a smile.

"Told you that Joe and his father had no chance against my Grandmom Jen.  She is really nice, but she can be scary when she needs to be."

The boys all laughed.

The party turned out to be a big success.  Not as spectacular as last year but everyone agreed John had really great birthday parties.  John didn't bother to tell anyone how dismal his birthdays had been before he came to live with his uncles.

Jennifer had decorated a couple plastic tubs to hold John's gifts.  She learned last year that "NO ONE" opened gifts until the guest had left.  The tubs made it easy to transport the gifts at the end of the party.

The Gardners planned a picnic for the day of John's party that, of course, included Peter.  The O'Briens took Kevin and Gus to a movie followed by a cookout at their house.  That eliminated any hurt feelings or upset about the younger boys not being included in the bowling party. The Uncles and Grandmom Jen had discussed the party and decided it should be just John and his friends.

The next day was John's family dinner party.  The menu of his favorites almost identical to the year before. Instead of Joan Kinney, Granny joined the dinner group.  There was a lot of laughter during dinner.  After cake and singing it was times for John to open his gifts.

John was told there was a set pattern to the gift opening.  He was disappointed with the small box from his uncles.  It was wrapped in hand-painted paper.  He was hoping his gift would be a car, but he did his best to keep a smile on his face.

Brian was not fooled by John's smile.  He poked Justin who turned to him with a smile.  Grandmom Jen and Grandpop Tucker each held a baby.  They also smiled at each other knowing what the box contained.

John started to carefully remove the paper. Uncle Justin told him to just rip it, so he did.   Inside was a hand-painted envelope.  John also ripped that open.  His smile widened when he saw a photo of a mid-size SUV inside, there was a label across the photo which said his gift was the real thing.  He looked over at the uncles who were laughing.

Brian looked over at his nephew.

"You need to work on your fake smile Kiddo."

John came around the table and hugged his uncles.  Justin was quick to tell him that his driving would be monitored, and he had to pass Drivers' Ed before the car was purchased.  John raised his eyes to heaven.

"Not a huge surprise.  You always think we will be just as sneaky as you were as a teenager."

Brian almost fell off his chair laughing.  Justin tried unsuccessfully for a stern look.  Jennifer felt it was necessary to say Justin was not always as successful in fooling her as he thought he was.  Justin looked over at his mother.

He leaned into Brian who put his arm around him as he looked over at his mother with a smug expression on his face..

"None of us would be here for this party if my sneakiness wasn't at least partially successful."

Granny laughed the hardest at the expression on Jennifer's face.  Gus wasn't sure what was so funny, but he laughed along with everyone else.  He suspected this all had something to do with Papa telling him that Grandmom Jen was not always happy & smiling.

Alice and Charlie gave John a gift card for gas along with a car washing kit.  Grandmom Jen and Tucker's gift was paying for a year of car insurance.  Peter gave him a fancy pair of sunglasses that John had admired in an internet ad.

Granny's gift was some Microsoft stock.  She told John she was planning for his future since enough people were ensuring his present happiness.

Gus gave John a new soccer ball and a jersey for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

Molly stuck with the standard Washington Academy shirts.  John had shot up to almost 6 feet so he was glad to see shirts that would actually fit him.

John was lavish with his thanks for everyone.  This was one of those times that John wanted to pinch himself to be sure he wasn't dreaming.