Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry it took me a while to update.  Hope you enjoy the latest chapter.

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 3

 

Jennifer was sitting at her desk on Monday morning going over the open house sign in sheets from the weekend.  The receptionist called to let her know that a Janet & Ken Taylor were at the front desk and wanted to talk with her.  Jennifer said she would be out in a minute.

 

Jennifer took a moment to gather her thoughts and prepare to meet with Craig's parents.  When she & Craig were married, Jennifer had a good relationship with his parents, particularly his mother.  When they divorced Craig told her that his parents were very upset and it would be best if Jennifer not contact them. 

 

The first Christmas after the divorce a gift arrived for Molly from her Taylor grandparents but nothing for Justin.  Jennifer had returned the gift with a note letting the Taylors know she would never accept a gift for Molly without one for Justin.  That was their last communication until apparently today.

 

Jennifer walked out to the reception area where Ken & Janet Taylor stood waiting for her.  Janet smiled but Ken looked more serious. 

 

"Janet and Ken, what a surprise to see.  Why don't you come back to my office."

 

Jennifer led them back to her office.  She indicated they should sit in the guest chairs in front of her desk while she perched on the edge of the desk.  Jennifer just looked at her former in-laws waiting for one of them to say something.

 

Janet still had a slight smile on her face.

 

"We're sorry to interrupt you here at your office but I wanted to see you before we went back to Virginia.  We stopped by your home but of course there wasn't anyone there.  I hoped to talk with you and thought maybe we would see you at the funeral.  Of course I do understand you deciding not to attend."

 

"Actually Janet, I planned to attend Craig's funeral but Brad called me and asked that the children and I not attend.  He feels we are responsible for Craig killing himself and that seeing us at the funeral would be upsetting to you and Ken.

 

I decided not to attend but Molly felt strongly about attending.  When Molly told Justin how she felt he said he would go with her to the funeral."

 

Janet and Ken both looked surprised by what Jennifer told them.  Ken recovered first.

 

"We never told Brad we would be upset if you or our grandchildren attended.  He didn't tell us that he spoke with you.  We do know that Craig felt isolated from his children and you."

 

Jennifer nodded and stared directly at Ken as she replied.

 

"Just who, do you think, Craig felt the most isolated from?  His ex-wife whose opinions about how to deal with their gay teen aged son he completely ignored and who he cheated on for years?  Or was it his son who he disowned because he told us that he was gay?  Perhaps it was his daughter that he largely ignored except for the occasional outing on Saturday afternoons?  Craig made it perfectly clear that if we did not agree with everything he said; he was not interested in having a relationship with us!"

 

Ken eyebrows went up a little.

 

"Well Jennifer, you really don't give an inch, do you?"

 

Jennifer smiled as she replied.

 

"For years I gave not inches, but feets and yards.  I truly believe that over the years of our marriage I gave in miles to Craig.  Maybe things would have worked out better if I stuck up for myself a little more often.  Maybe Craig wouldn't have become the control freak he was but I didn't.

 

What I learned from that experience was to please myself first, my happiness is something only I control. I won't ever try to control's someone else's happiness.  I tried for years to make Craig happy and in the end it probably helped drive us apart."

 

Before Ken could say anything Janet put a hand on his arm and she replied.

 

"Jennifer, I didn't want to come here to argue with you.  We were shaken by Craig's death.  Seeing Justin and Molly at the church made me realize how much time we have let pass.  Hearing what Molly had to say about her relationship with Craig was so different than what Craig always told us.

 

I'm sure you feel as I do that as the family shrinks we need to gather close together again.  Ken and I are anxious to reconnect with Justin and Molly."

 

"I will certainly let them know that you would like to reconnect but the decision is up to them.  I do want to let you know that my family is not shrinking.   Brian has a son who just turned eight and he and Justin share custody of him with his mothers.  Gus is a delightful little boy and he calls me Grandmom.  Justin and Brian also have custody of his nephews, John and Peter, both lovely boys.  That is truly amazing considering what an awful mother they have.  Peter was almost a baby when his father left them; Justin has been so marvelous to both boys and Peter has started to call him Papa, like Gus does.  Both boys call me Grandmom.

 

So, you can see that my family is growing all the time.  Any day now there will be two new additions.  Justin and Brian are expecting twins.  It is such a different world today.  They purchased eggs and hired a surrogate and Justin supplied what was necessary to make babies.  I look forward to two more grandchildren and the adventure that twins will be to us all."

 

Janet & Ken looked stunned by Jennifer's news.  Ken was first to recover.

 

"Did Craig know about the twins?"

 

Jennifer shook his head.

 

"I don't think so.  He and Justin have been estranged for some time.  The news hasn't really been a secret but Craig really doesn't travel in any of same social circles as most of my family does."

 

Janet fought to keep tears from flowing.

 

"Craig would have been so delighted.  I feel so badly that he didn't know about his grandchildren.  It might have made a difference."

 

Jennifer shrugged.

 

"Craig missed out on so much when he cut his son out of his life.  Justin has become a wonderful man and I enjoy every moment I spend with him.  Molly adores Justin and Brian.  They really are at the center of our family."

 

Ken spoke up.

 

"Craig told us that he tried to reconcile with Justin but he was rebuffed.  He said he asked for your help but you refused."

 

Jennifer have a quick laugh.

 

"Craig disowned Justin despite my pleading.  I felt it was unfair of him to want me to help him reconcile with Justin.  Craig was never able to accept Brian and his role in Justin's life.  Brian and Justin are very close and very protective of each other.  No one can hope be close to Justin and not accept Brian.  Craig made it clear he could not accept Brian as a part of his family.  Once again he wanted things only on his terms."

 

Ken was a little annoyed by Jennifer's attitude.

 

"I think Craig was unable to forget that Brian seduced a teenage Justin into the gay lifestyle.  Craig felt Brian was a child molester."

 

"Justin was and is a very determined person.  He decided he wanted to experience gay sex and had his friend Daphne drive him to Liberty Avenue.  He stationed himself under a street lamp outside a gay dance club to attract attention.  Brian was not hanging around outside school yards luring young boys with promises of candy.

 

I was certainly not happy to learn my teenage son was having a sexual relationship with a man twelve years older than him.  However I never thought the correct solution was forcing my son to leave his home.   Craig threw his son away and then discovered it was not so easy trying to get something that valuable back after seven years."

 

Ken let out an exasperated breath.

 

"I don't really think it is accurate to say Craig threw away Justin."

 

"I was there and that is exactly what Craig did.   This conversation is pointless and I would like you to leave now."

 

Ken looked like he was going to say something but Janet stood up and moved toward Jennifer.

 

"Jennifer my dear, this is not why I wanted to come here.  I am happy to hear  how well your life is going.

 

I would very much like to get together with my grandchildren and try to rebuild some kind of relationship with them.  Would you please have them call me?"

 

Jennifer reached for a pad of paper on her desk and quickly wrote some information on it.

 

"Here are both Molly and Justin's email addresses.  I prefer not to get in the middle of your attempt at reconciliation.  I hope you are able to salvage some relationship with my children but I don't want to be any part of that process."

 

Janet smiled, gave Jennifer's arm a gentle pat, took Ken's arm and left the real estate office.  One of the real estate agents came into the office to make sure Jennifer was okay.  After a brief chat, Jennifer got back to work.

 

*************************************************************************************

 

Justin called Brian as soon as he got off the phone with Rob Mahan's law office.  He used Brian's private number which bypassed Carole unless Brian tied up with something.

 

Once Justin told him about the phone call; Brian immediately said he was going to the meeting with Justin.

 

"Brian, I know you are going to Philly tomorrow for that meeting with Franklin.  I'm sure I can handle this meeting on my own.  I think maybe they are going to ask that I not contest Craig's will."

 

"Get real Sunshine.  I am going with you and that's all there is to it.  If that asshole left some sort of poison letter from the grave I am going to wherever he is buried and pissing on his grave.  I'll meet you at the lawyer's office."

 

Justin was still laughing at Brian's plan for a visit to Craig grave when Brian realized that Rob Mahan's office was at PPG and parking would probably be in an underground garage.

 

"You know Sunshine you should meet me here and we'll drive over to PPG place together."

 

Knowing why his partner suggested meeting at Kinnetik Justin had a huge smile on his face.

 

"Brian, I can park in the garage, it'll be okay."

 

"Justin I am aware that you can do that but why put yourself through that?  Just come here and we'll go together."

 

"Brian Kinney I do really love you!  I'll come to Kinnetik to meet you.  Thanks for always looking out for me."

 

Brian smirked as he answered.

 

"It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.  Later, Sunshine."

 

"Later."

 

Both men sat smiling for a couple minutes before continuing their day.

 

Justin came in from the garage to the Kinnetik lobby.  He saw that Michael was on duty and walked over to the reception desk with a smile on his face.

 

"Hi Michael, how are things going."

 

"I didn't know that you were coming into the office today.  Is Brian expecting you?"

 

Justin smile waned.

 

"Michael do you understand how inappropriate it is for you to ask me if Brian is expecting me.   That is none of your concern."

 

"I do work here and I know how hard Brian works.  I'm not sure you understand that interruptions make Brian's job more difficult."

 

Justin's smile disappeared.

 

"First I want to point out that you work here but I am an owner of Kinnetik.  I know that you have known Brian a long time but no one in the world understands Brian better than I do.  I am never an interruption to Brian and if you don't believe me just ask Brian.

 

Michael, I know you and Brian have a long history together.  Brian and I are partner.  We are the most important people in each other's lives.  You have zero chance of ever coming between us.  If you could just wrap your hear around that fact you would be a happier person."

 

Justin turned and went up to Brian's office leaving an open mouthed Michael sitting at the reception desk.

 

Carole gave Justin a big smile.  "He's alone and awaiting your arrival."

 

Justin smiled in return.  "That's nice to know."

 

"Well you know everyone here is always happy for days when you come in the office.  It makes the Boss much easier to deal with."

 

Justin was laughing as he walked into Brian's office.  Brian looked up, his look of happiness mixed with lust never failed to warm Justin's heart.   Justin was across the room in an instant before being pulled into a tight hug from Brian. 

 

Brian sat in his chair and Justin settled on his lap.

 

"Brian I can go to this meeting by myself if you have stuff you have to get done for your trip tomorrow."

 

"Justin I told you that was all under control.  Greg is going with me tomorrow so he can get a good idea of what the Franklin people think of the art work.  He has been an amazing addition to Kinnetik.  The art department functions so much better under his management."

 

Justin chuckled.

 

"What was that for?"

 

"Brian I know you hate when I say this but I just can't get over how things work out.  If John and Peter hadn't come to live with us, John wouldn't have made friends with Patrick.  We would never have met Greg."

 

Brian just shook his head.  "Sunshine you are the eternal optimist."

 

Justin responded with a kiss to Brian's cheek.  Brian twined his fingers in Justin's hair and pulled him in for a real kiss.

 

A short time later they left for the meeting with Craig attorney.  On the way Brian told Justin that Larry Buchanan, their lawyer was meeting them.  Justin just rolled his eyes.

 

As they parked in the underground garage Justin could feel himself tense up and hated that feeling.  Brian didn't say anything but did put his arm around Justin's shoulders as they walked to the elevator.  They were pleased to meet Larry in the garage elevator.

 

The three of them entered Rob Mahan's office suite together and were immediately shown to a conference room.   The receptionist pointed out the coffee & water on a side table and told them Rob would be with them shortly.

 

Rob and his wife had been part of Craig & Jennifer's social circle when they were married.  Rob handled the divorce for Craig so Jennifer had pulled back from her friendship with his wife.

 

Rob came into the room with several packets of papers.  He came over to greet Justin and to shake his hand.

 

"Justin, it's been a long time.  It's nice to see you."

 

"Hello Mr Mahan.  It has been a while."

 

"Please call be Rob."

 

He turned to Brian and again extended his hand.

 

"You must be Brian.  I'm glad you could attend with Justin."

 

Brian shook hands but didn't have anything to say.  Larry & Rob, who knew each other, exchanged greeting before Rob suggested they all take their seats.

 

As soon as they were seated Brian spoke up for the first time.

 

"Rob I want you to understand that if this meeting is to hear some bullshit letter from Craig complaining about being abandoned by his family or another attempt of Craig's to make Justin feel ashamed of who he is we are NOT interested in hearing it!"

 

Justin put a calming hand on Brian's leg but was prepared to walk out if Brian was proved correct about the purpose of the meeting.  Rob looked across the table at Larry who just smiled and gave a little shrug of his shoulders.  He had worked for Brian and Justin long enough to be accustomed to Brian's outspokenness.

 

Rob smiled.

 

"I know that at certain times in Craig's life he might have written such a letter.  I can assure you that I would never have played any role in delivering such a message.  Craig and I had several discussions over the years about his behavior toward Jennifer and their children.  It was not something that I ever approved of.  I remained his lawyer but our friendship suffered. 

 

I will tell you that for a number of years Craig had a restriction in his will that cut off Justin unless he had severed his relationship with you for two years.  After years of advising him against that restriction it was removed last year.  It was a slow process but I do really think he was realizing how wrong he had been to cut off his son."

 

Brian was not changing his opinion of Craig.

 

"He was a homophobic asshole who treated every member of his family badly especially his son.  We don't need any money from him.  Personally I couldn't care less that he changed his will to include Justin.  It's simply a case of too little, too late."

 

Justin leaned into Brian's side so there was no doubt of his support.

 

"Well Rob, now you have no doubt how Brian feels.  I agree that we certainly never expected any money from Craig.  To be honest I'm under the impression that there isn't much money to get."

 

Rob nodded.

 

"We will get to the nuts and bolts of Craig's estate but first I do want to share a letter from Craig.  It arrived in this morning's mail.  Before you get up to leave Brian I want to assure you its tone and contents will not cause you any problems.

 

As I said the letter arrived in the mail this morning.  I have learned that Craig's brother asked you not to attend the funeral.  I don't believe that was what Craig would have wanted.  I was quite proud of Molly.  My wife and I remember her as a little girl and it was a pleasure to see the self-assured woman she has become.

 

I believe that Craig sent this letter the day he died.  He sent it via regular mail so, as I said, it arrived in the office mail this morning.  Are you aware that the woman Craig has been seeing is pregnant?"

 

Justin nodded.

 

"Yes but we have some questions about her pregnancy.  Craig told Molly a couple years ago that he had a vasectomy.   He also told a friend of his the same thing and his wife shared that info with my mother.  We do wonder about this pregnancy."

 

"Well there is very little, really almost, no chance the child Allison is carrying was fathered by Craig.  Apparently she announced the pregnancy to Craig as a wonderful surprise.  He never told her about the vasectomy.  Craig went to the doctor to have testing done to be certain he was still incapable of fathering children.

 

Not sure if you are aware that Craig has taken a large amount of cash out of the business and used it for personal expenditures.  He bought a large condo for Allison's use and planned to marry her and live there together.  I think he felt he could sell the condo he recently purchased and use those proceeds to put cash back into the business.

 

Craig makes it clear in the letter that he felt like a fool when he realized that Allison was really just looking for a meal ticket.  It seems that this latest revelation caused Craig to take a serious look at his life.  I believe it was difficult for him to realize that your mother as well as you and Molly were thriving while his life was going nowhere.  He indicates in his letter that all this contributed to his decision to end his life."

 

Rob passed packets of paper to Justin, Brian and Larry.  He pointed out that a copy of Craig's letter was on top of the pile and suggested they all take a few moment to read it.

 

Brian gave the letter a quick glance before crumpling it into a ball and dropping it on the table.  Justin chuckled at his partner's actions as he read the letter before commenting.

 

"Seems like Craig realized how badly he had screwed up his life.  He was too proud to face the facts and ask for help.  Sad but it must have been hard to realize how many wrong decisions he made."

 

Brian had a one word reply.  "Coward."  Before turning his attention to Rob Mahan.

 

"Did we come here just to read Craig's farewell letter?"

 

Rob looked at an amused Larry Buchanan who just shrugged.

 

"No, we need to discuss Craig's estate.  I am named in the will as executor.  Justin and Molly are the Craig's heirs, according to his will.  There are actually two estates that need to be settled.  Taylor Electronics is an LLC so its assets and liabilities are separate from Craig's personal assets and liabilities.    Based on my information from Craig's accountant, Taylor Electronics is liability heavy.  It does not appear there will be sufficient assets to cover to cover the company's debts.

 

Craig's personal estate should settle on the plus side.  However because of his recent large withdrawals from the corporation there is a good chance the creditors of Taylor Electronics may make claims against his personal estate.  I would encourage you to join that effort if you want to recoup any of your Sunshine Associates loan."

 

Brian was much more intrigued by dollars & cents than Craig's state of mind.  He & Larry dived into the packet of information.  Justin gave the papers a cursory look before sitting back and sipping his bottle of water.

 

A few moments later Brian looked up.

 

"So Craig was smart enough not to put the condo in Allison's name, which I find amazing.  I imagine she will try her best to avoid being evicted."

 

Rob nodded.   "I think you are correct about Allison.  She did her best to suck up to Brad Taylor, who they both expected to be the executor and beneficiary of Craig's estate.  Eventually she will be forced to move out but it could take a while."

 

Brian smirked.  "Hard to throw a pregnant woman out on the street even if she is a lying, scheming bitch."

 

Justin just shook his head.  Rob smiled.  "Succinctly put Brian."

 

Larry was looking at a page of information.

 

"Rob, it looks like the company is short of making payroll."

 

"Yes, those are the numbers the accountant supplied.  That payroll number includes severance pay for the employees.  We don't see a viable way to keep the company open.  If we close down and start the liquidation of business assets this week; payroll is short about ten thousand dollars.  Simon is checking to see how we can make payroll."

 

Rob noticed Justin glance quickly at Brian, he didn't think Brian noticed as he sat back in his chair and looked through the information in the packet.

 

"Looks like the store has a pretty large supply of tablets and laptops.  Justin and I have a charity, JB Foundation, which we control.   Suppose JB buys all these tablet and laptops that it will donate to schools.  That could solve the payroll shortfall."

 

Justin had a big smile and placed his hand on Brian's arm. 

 

"Some of Taylor employees have worked there a long time.  Whatever my relationship was with Craig I appreciate the employees' loyalty.  I would hate to see them cheated out of their severance pay."

 

Rob was a little puzzled that Brian solved an issue for Justin without ever actually hearing the issue.  Larry Buchanan smiled at Rob's confused expression.

 

"Rob if you spend more time with these two; you will get used to their silent communications.  That little side glance of Justin's somehow informed Brian of his concern.  I'm not sure how they do it but they do it a lot."

 

Brian and Justin just smiled. 

 

Brian got Cynthia & Ted on the phone.  He wanted Cynthia to have one of the large conference rooms cleared out to make room for the new tablets & computers.  He told Ted to check with Craig's accountant, Simon, to get a price and have the stuff moved to Kinnetik.

 

There was little more discussion about estate matters before Brian & Justin were on their way back to Kinnetik.   Justin's cell phone rang and when he saw that call was from Eden he felt a little panicked.

 

Eden told Justin that she started to have some contractions and had called her doctor.  They thought they were probably just Braxton Hicks but since they were dealing with twins, the doctor thought she should go to the hospital and get checked out.

 

Eden and Chaz were headed to Allegheny General.  Justin said he would meet them at the hospital.  Justin told Brian what Eden had said. 

 

"Brian you can take me back to the office.  I'll get my car and head over to the hospital.  I know this Philly trip is important so you should still go."

 

Brian turned with an incredulous look on his face.

 

"Justin, if you think I am flying to Philly and missing the birth of our babies you are insane!  Cynthia can go with Greg.  If Eden is in labor I am staying right here with you."

 

Justin smiled as Brian changed direction toward the hospital.