Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

So sorry this update took so long.  It got rewritten a couple times.  Hope it is worth the wait?????

 

To Have & to Hold Forever

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first, but this story will make more sense if you do.

Brian and Justin are established partners raising five children together. 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 26

David Fuller arrived late to the party with his fiancée and his annoyed son.  They arrived just as the food was being served.  Jay spotted Josh and Peter and ran over to them.  David and Kay walked over just as Bill and Mary joined the boys.

The group joined one of the buffet lines and got a table where they could eat together.  Josh and Peter kept busy telling Jay what they had done at the party so far.  Jay managed to give his father an exasperated look for insisting they visit David's parents before they came here.

David and Kay were amazed by the number of people at this party.  Because the property was so large it didn't appear crowded but there had to be over 100 attendees.

Once they were finished eating, Peter and Josh were anxious to get back to having fun.  They told Jay they would find Joe and hope to claim a badminton net while other people were still eating.

David spoke up.

"Jay, we have to find Brian or Justin and thank them for inviting us before you run off."

 Peter shook his head.

"Uncle Brian and Papa don't care about that.  Uncle Brian stays by the gate for a while when people arrive, but Papa just mingles."

Bill agreed.

"Peter's right, David.  Brian and Justin are not really into etiquette.  I'll walk around with you and Kay and introduce you to some other attendees.  The ones I know anyway."

Mary said she was going to wander over and say hello to Jennifer.  She would meet up with the others later.

As the boys hurried away Jay asked who Joe was.  Josh chuckled. Peter rolled his eyes but answered.

"The thing is our family is very complicated.  You know not many of us are related by blood.  Grandmom Jen says love is what joins us together.  Debbie is a lady who has known Uncle Brian since he was in Junior High.  He was friends with her son Michael, who is kind of a goon.

When Papa told his parents, he was gay he went to live with Debbie for a while.  Gus calls her Grandmom Debbie.  Anyway, Joe is a kid whose Mom died from cancer. His father died when he was a little kid.  His stepfather beat him up and Joe ran away.  He wound up down on Liberty Avenue and Debbie took him under her wing.  Everyone on Liberty Avenue know Debbie.

Gus met him when he was at the diner with Papa and felt bad for Joe being on his own.  He got Papa to rent him a room and give him some money.  Eventually Debbie got Joe to trust her and tell her his story.  He only has one Uncle who is kind of a famous news guy.

Debbie wanted Joe to stay with her and her boyfriend Carl, he's a policeman.  The uncle wanted to send Joe to boarding school.  They all met at Uncle Brian's company.  Uncle Brian made the uncle agree that Joe could stay with Debbie and Carl.  Uncle Brian can be kind of scary."

Jay was kind of wide eyed.  This was a whole new experience for him.  They acquired a couple Simpson grandchildren on their way to the badminton net where Joe was waiting.  Jay was kind of nervous because he was not very athletic and never participated in team sports.  He was surprised and pleased that no one seemed to care if he was good at badminton or not. 

Jay didn't even notice when his father and Kay walked by with Bill.  David was surprised to see his very serious son laughing and playing some crazy version of badminton.  Kay noticed the expression on David's face and the reason for it.  She squeezed his hand.

"I think this is just what Jay needs."

David smiled at his fiancée.  She was helping him understand that he needed to play more of a role in Jay's life.  Andrea had always taken the lead position in childcare, but David was realizing that might not be the best thing for Jay.

 Cassie reclaimed Lily and Liam, she took them back up to the nursery.   Granny announced she was going to go put her feet up.  She went into the pool house.  Alice came over to Debbie, Jennifer and Viola to say she had a couple grandchildren staking out the horseshoe pit.   It was going to be available soon.  Alice claimed Viola as her partner against Jennifer and Debbie. 

The ladies horseshoe match attracted a large audience.  Brian and Justin were in the front line of spectators.  Mikey, still keeping his distance, was surprised to see Brian smiling and cheering good throws with his arm draped over Justin's shoulders.  Charlie, Carl and Tucker kept busy shouting encouragement to their significant others.  Blake provided a cheering section for Viola.  Ted and Ben were occupied overseeing JR, Nina and a bunch of other children in the pool.  They were assisted by several other parents and a lifeguard, part of Emmett's staff.

Alice and Viola won two games out of three.  Brian earned an "asshole" from Debbie when he told Mother Taylor that her partner held her back.  Mother Taylor told him to behave and Justin almost fell down laughing at Brian's aggrieved expression.

Emmett was able to take a break and sit with Rusty observing everything going on around the property.  Soon it would be time to put out the desserts and remove all the alcoholic beverages.  Since there were no fireworks this year, the party would wind up earlier than in prior years.

John and Patrick were involved in a tennis match with the Simpson's son and son in law.  Some Simpson grandchildren were one part of the cheering section, the other section consisted of an extremely vocal Gus and Kevin.

Later Brian was called upon to ref another soccer match.  This one was composed of couples.  The couples were spilt to form the teams.  Justin watched from the sidelines amused by the couples trash talking each other.  Eventually the four musketeers, Peter, Josh, Joe and Jay, came to stand with him.  Justin asked the boys if they were having fun and got enthusiastic yeses.

Peter suggested to Justin that maybe one weekend the other three guys could come for an ovenight.  They could sleep in the "sorority house".    Justin chuckled.

"You are really going to have to butter up Uncle Brian before he agrees to that plan."

The other three boys, urged on by Peter, said how awesome it would be to have a weekend here.  They swore they not be any trouble.  Justin laughed at the full court press and said he would think about their plan.

The soccer game ended in a tie when dessert was announced.  The drink menu switched to coffee, hot or iced tea, soft drinks and water.  Justin had a plate filled with dessert.  Brian told Justin that he felt like he was gaining weight just standing next to all that high calorie food.  Justin continued to devour the sweets and moan in delight.

David and Kay wandered over to Brian and Justin during dessert.  Justin smiled but his contribution to the conversation was limited.  Brian let them know that it was difficult for Justin to concentrate on anything else if he was eating.

Justin told Brian he was an ass but didn't deny what his partner told their guests.  Jennifer joined the group and after a few moments told David and Kay they needed to excuse Justin, when he was eating dessert, it occupied most of his conscious mind. Justin's annoyed expression, directed at his mother, made Brian laugh.  Jennifer just rolled her eyes.

Kay tried to defend Justin by saying the desserts really were delicious.  Justin gave Brian an elbow to the side. 

"See!  Kay understands."

Brian just shook his head.

David got serious.

"I really want to thank you guys.  I have never seen Jay have a better time than he had here today."

Brian laughed.

"I think your son and Peter are kind of kindred spirits.  Peter was kind of a shy, hang back guy but Mr Taylor here was able to jump start the kid's self-confidence."

Brian sensed that people were getting ready to depart so he suddenly came up with something he needed to do and disappeared.  David and Kay looked a little confused.

Jennifer smiled.

"Brian prefers to avoid the goodbyes and thank yous for coming.  You have seen the last of him today."

Justin chuckled as he put down his empty dessert plate.

"Jay seems like a great kid.  Peter has already asked me about the happy foursome spending a weekend here.  It may take me a while to convince Brian that is a good plan."

Jennifer joined the conversation.

"I hope Andrea isn't going to object to Jay making some new friends."

David shrugged.

"Yeah, that is an issue I think I have left alone for too long.  Kay has been telling me I need to be more involved in Jay's life.  To be honest it has been easier not to buck his mother.  She has always devoted herself to motherhood and I haven't wanted to rock the boat.

I've told myself it was better for Jay, but I guess it was better for me too.  Certainly, it was easier to avoid Andrea whenever I could.   Well I'm sure my relations with my ex wife are not really interesting to you."

Jennifer patted David's arm.  Some attendees came over to thank Justin and say goodbye.

The exodus of guests speeded up and Justin was kept busy.  Michael, Ben, Lindsay and JR came over to say goodbye.  JR lifted her arms and Justin picked her up to give her a hug and kiss.  JR put an arm around his neck and held on tight.  She turned to the adults she arrived with.

"I want to stay here with Uncle Jus.  If Gus is going to live here than I want to live here too."

Justin looked at Lindsay, but she just looked confused.  Michael looked annoyed and Justin sensed he blamed Justin for JR not wanting to leave.  Ben looked at Michael and Lindsay expecting one of them to take control of this situation.

Justin realized it was all up to him. 

"JR Honey, we can have you for an overnight visit really soon.  Today you have to go home with Mommy.  We don't even have Mr Rabbit here."

"If Gus can stay here why can't I?"

"Sweetheart you know that Uncle Bri is Gus's Daddy, that is why Gus is going to stay here."

JR had her most determined face on.  Justin looked to the other adults for help but found none.

"You love Gus more than you love me.  I don't think that is fair.  Whose bed will I get in when it thunders?"

"I'm sure you Moms would be happy to keep you safe from storms.  Uncle Bri and I love you very much, but you live with your Moms and they love you and would miss you.  I promise you can come for a weekend soon."

Michael came over and grabbed JR, who reluctantly went to her father.  Lindsay stayed silent.  Michael gave Justin an annoyed look.  Ben came over and gave Justin a hug and thanked him.

Justin could see JR confusion and disappointment as she looked back over her father's shoulder.  He felt horrible but knew he had done the right thing.  He was disappointed that neither Lindsay nor Michael were the ones to answer JR.  He wanted to talk to Debbie before she left.

 Since Debbie, Carl & Joe drove down with Jennifer and Tucker they were among the last to leave.  Justin asked Debbie to talk with him before she left.  He told her about JR not knowing Gus was living with him and Brian.  He also let her know about JR asking to stay here.  As Justin suspected Debbie was very upset.

"JR talked about Gus staying here and I admit I didn't question her too much.  I just thought the girls would have told her about the change.  I guess I just assumed she was too young to really understand about custody.  I admit to not wanting to open that can of worms.

I'm so fucking sorry you got put in the middle.  Michael and Lindsay didn't say anything?"

Justin shook his head.

"You know how Michael is.  I'm pretty sure he thought it was my fault that I had said something to JR."

"You know how fucking hung up Michael is on Brian.  I've tried my best with him but somehow no one can make him understand how much you and Brian love each other.  Thanks for letting me know about JR.  I'll talk to Michael."

Justin gave Debbie a hug and wished her luck, but he doubted she would have much luck with Michael.

JR carried on, all the way home.  Lindsay and Michael had no luck calming her.  Ben just kept gripping the steering wheel harder and harder.  Neither JR's Mommy or Daddy seemed willing to address the main issue -why was Gus now living with Brian and Justin.  They promised her treats and rewards but never addressed her concerns.

Finally, Ben had enough.

"Linds, Michael, you two are the adults could at least one of you try acting like one.  JR Sweetheart I know you are confused and upset.  I don't know why your Moms didn't explain about Gus living with Brian and Justin. 

They all decided that was the best thing for everyone right now.  I guess they didn't realize how much this change would affect you.  I'm really sorry about that, I think that was a mistake."

Ben say the look on Lindsay face in the rear-view mirror and really didn't give a fuck is she was upset. No one appeared to be looking out for JR and that sucked.  She was just a confused little girl being let down by the people who should have been looking out for her.

"Maybe Daddy can go in the house with you and he and Mommy and Mama can answer your questions and try and make you feel better about the changes in your life."

Michael did not look at all happy about that suggestion but again Ben didn't give a fuck what Michael thought at this moment.

"If Gus can live with Uncle Bri and Uncle Jus I don't know why I can't live there too.  Uncle Jus is always so happy and smiling.  He never hollers or says he is too busy."

Ben was once again the one to answer.

"I think your Moms would miss you too much if you moved away.  I'm sure if you all sit down and talk, they'll be able to help you understand what is going on and why."

JR shrugged but did seem to calm down.  Ben looked over at Michael who kept his face turned away, seemingly fascinated by the scenery.  All was silent in the backseat as well.  Ben felt like stopping the car and putting them all out.

When Ben pulled up in front of Lindsay and Mel's house, Lindsay got JR unstrapped and got out of the car.  Ben suggested Michael go in and take part in the discussion with JR.  Lindsay stated that she and Mel would handle it.  Ben looked at Michael, but his husband didn't say anything.  Ben thought Michael actually looked relieved.

Lindsay walked up to the house, holding JR's hand.  Ben took Michael's hand.

"Mike don't you think you should go in and help get JR settled.  She seemed really upset."

"Linds and Mel can handle it."

Ben was shocked.

"They have not done a very good job so far.  I think you should go in and participate."

"This doesn't really concern you.  I am JR's father."

Ben sighed.

"I think you should behave like her father.  You act like she is a toy or one of your action figures.  Something that amuses you but not someone you accept responsibility for."

"Well I don't have all Brian's money so I can do only what I feel like doing.  Maybe if I did have all that money I could be happy all the time like fucking Justin.  You heard JR!  Justin is turning my daughter against me. 

Now you want me to get involved in this mess about Gus living with his Dad.  It has nothing to do with me."

Ben put the car in gear and drove home.  Both men were angry and neither had anything to say.  Ben went upstairs immediately.  Michael got a beer and settled in front of the TV. 

About half an hour later Ben came downstairs carrying a small suitcase,

"Michael since it is clear you don't want me as a part of your life, I think we need to separate.  I am going to stay with a friend.  I would like you out of the house as soon as you can find somewhere else to live.  As you know the house is just in my name.

I want you to know that I think your obsession with Brian is getting worse and you need to find a way to see reality.  You blame Justin for alienating JR but clearly you do not want to be, or are incapable of being, a true parent to her."

Before a stunned Michael could think of something to say Ben walked out of the house, got in his car, and drove away.

Back in Washington Township, once all the guests were gone Brian reappeared.  Emmett, Rusty and a few workers were finishing cleanup and putting the left-over food away.  Granny, Gus and his cousins were watching fireworks on TV in the media room.  Cassie had left and Brian had the twins in their bassinet which he put of the frame in the family room.

He could sense Justin was upset and asked him what was wrong.  Justin asked Emmett if the workers could leave.  Emmett immediately told them they could go. Justin took Brian's hand and walked into the kitchen.  He made sure Gus wasn't nearby before he told the other men what happened when JR was leaving.

Emmett shook his head and said how awful it was that Justin had to deal with that situation.  Brian, being Brian, was furious.  Mostly with Michael who he already annoyed with but also with Lindsay and Melanie.  He felt that none of JR's parents were doing a good job.

The four men, with Liam and Lily in their bassinet, each got a glass of wine and went out on the patio to talk.  They all felt bad about JR, but no one had a good suggestion about how to make the situation better.  Emmett and Rusty left about an hour later.  Both men gave Justin a hug and told him he handled everything the right way, but he was the only one who did.

Brian and Justin sat alone with their wine glasses refilled.  They shared a lounger.  Neither man said much but were content to be with each other.  Brian finally spoke.

"Justin, do you want to have JR come and live with us?"

Justin was so startled he turned to look Brian in the face.

"NO!  I know we have enough on our plate.  That is really why I feel so bad.  I don't know the solution to JR's happiness.  The best hope is Linds and Mel realize how they have let her down and start to act like responsible parents. 

Certainly Michael isn't the answer.  He is too immature and too self-centered to be a full-time parent for JR.  Debbie and Carl are really too old, and JR is a handful.  Debbie's health isn't the best and honestly Michael is not a testament to good parenting.  I know she did her best and a big part of the problem is Michael's inability to see things as they really are, instead of how he would like them to be."

Justin sighed.  Lily and Liam started to fuss.

"Well Daddy, I think we have two of our own kids that need clean diapers and bottled.  Better head inside."

Brian gave Justin a kiss on the back of his neck as they got up off the lounger.  He grabbed the bassinet and followed Justin into the house.  Justin quickly put a couple bottles in the microwave while Brian started with Lily's diaper.  Papa quickly got Liam's diaper changed.

Brian and Justin settled on the sofa.  Daddy was feeding his Princess and Papa was feeding Liam.  Both men looked at each other with big smiles on their faces.  Here in this household, things were just as they were supposed to be.  Brian, as usual, tried to push down his more lesbionic thoughts but he couldn't completely suppress the feeling that his life was damn near perfect.

John came into the room and smiled at the scene on the sofa.

"Uncle Brian, Gus had a busy day.  He is pretty much out for the count.  Want me to finish Lily's bottle and you can put Gus to bed."

"That sounds like a plan.  Thanks Kiddo."

John came over and took Lily from his uncle.  She fussed for a minute but seemed to realize it was John feeding her and she settled down.  Justin chuckled.  His daughter seemed to have an affinity for Kinney men.

Gus was sound asleep leaning against Granny on the big sectional in the media room.  She smiled at Brian.

"I think Gus had a busy day.  I don't think he or Kevin sat down except for lunch.  I doubt you'll be able to give him a bath."

Brian picked up his son who snuggled against his Daddy.

"I think you're right.  Right to bed for Sonny Boy."

"Do you need any help?"

"I think I can handle him but thanks."

Granny got up to give Gus a kiss and stroked his hair.

"He is such a lovely, sweet boy.  He and Kevin were so excited about the soccer game with bigger boys.  You are such a wonderful Daddy; he loves you and Justin so much."

Brian leaned over and gave Granny a kiss on the cheek.  He noticed the wide-eyed look Peter had.  As Brian headed to the stairs, he heard Peter telling Granny that it was a "big deal" for Uncle Brian to kiss her. 

Gus halfway woke up as Brian changed him into his pajamas.  When Daddy put him in bed, Gus asked if Papa was going to read him a story.  Brian said he would be up to read to him in just a minute.  Gus nodded and snuggled down into bed.  Brian watched him for a couple minutes and could tell his son was sound asleep.  There was no need for a story tonight.

When Brian got back downstairs Liam and Lily were finished their bottles.  Justin and John were talking to the babies and laughing at the faces the babies made.  Brian let Justin know that Gus did not need a story he was already in dreamland.

John chuckled.

"He and Kevin were perpetual motion today.  Patrick had to carry Kevin to the car when they left.  I overheard Peter and his buddies making plans for when they stayed here for a weekend."

Brian looked over at Justin who smiled at him.

"I told Peter that we would have to get that approved by you.  Of course, you realize that Joe is part of that happy foursome so if you shoot down a weekend here, Debbie will lobby hard for an approval."

"Sunshine how is it that you always have some secret weapon to launch at me.  Sometimes it's Gus, occasionally Mother Taylor and now Debbie."

John was laughing at the innocent look on Uncle Justin's face.  Justin glanced down at Liam and Lily.

"Just think about when these weapons will be ready to launch at you.  All blonde ringlets and big blue eyes looking up at their Daddy.  You won't have a chance."

Brian shook his head.

"You are so diabolical.  People think oh Justin is so nice.  They have no idea who the real Justin is."

"You sooooooo adore me!"

John just laughed the whole time.  He was sure that his brother's friends would soon spend a weekend at the house.  The uncles were interesting, but the bottom line was they truly cared about their family.  John knew his mother never would have agreed to an overnight visit by one of his or Peter's friends let alone 3 extra boys staying over.

Uncle Brian came over to give Uncle Justin a kiss.  Uncle Justin gently stroked his partner's cheek.  That told John that Peter and friends would soon have their overnight visit.  

It was an early night for everyone in The Taylor-Kinney household.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

It was not as relaxing an evening at the Marcus-Peterson home.  JR remained in full blown tantrum mode no matter what her mothers said to her. 

Lindsay had little to say.  Melanie first tried to calmly and logically explain why Gus went to live to live with his fathers.  JR continued to insist she wanted to live with Uncle Jus.  He never hollered and was always happy and always patient.

Melanie tried that she and Mommy would miss JR too much if she moved away.  JR pointed out that Melanie was at work all day and spent a lot of time in her home office while she was in the house.

JR also wondered whose bed she could get in when she was scared or there was a thunderstorm now that Gus wasn't here.  Lindsay said she could always come in her and Mama's room if she was scared.  That did not satisfy JR desire for security.  She pointed out that Mama always made her get back into her own bed.  Melanie had always been firm that children needed to sleep in their own beds.  She did not want to raise nervous or scary children.

When JR tears refused to abate, Mel tried to be firm and told her daughter that this is where she lived and that was not going to change.  She just had to accept that fact.  JR told Mel that she hated her.  JR also stated that Mommy just wanted to spend time alone in her studio.  She said that Uncle Jus always let Gus stay in his studio with him.  JR was sure that Uncle Jus would let her spend time in his studio.

Finally, JR exhausted herself and fell asleep on the living room floor.  Mel carried her up to her room where she and Linds got her into her pajamas and put her in bed.

Once JR was in bed, Mel and Linds went across the hall to their bedroom.  Melanie announced she was exhausted and didn't want to discuss JR's unhappiness.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Liam and Lily did not allow their fathers much sleep.  Justin dropped into bed exhausted at 3:30 after getting about 3 hours of sleep.  Brian was downstairs with the twins before 5 AM.  He drank 2 cups of coffee and had his wheat toast while Lily and Liam briefly slept in their basinet. 

Justin came down close to 7 and Brian went upstirs to try and get some sleep.  Alice suspected the babies would have a restless night since their routine was disturbed by the party.  She and Charlie came over to the house early.  They took care of breakfast bottles while Papa dozed in a recliner.  When Cassie came on duty, she took over baby care while Justin continued to nap.

When Brian came back downstairs, he was delighted to witness the Porta Potties being removed.  Shortly after they were taken away the men arrived to steam clean the driveway.  Justin pointed out that when the Porta Potties were removed there was no residual evidence left on the driveway that they had ever been there.  Brian simply shrugged and made no verbal reply.

John and Peter kept Gus busy.  First kicking a soccer ball around the yard.  Followed by a walk along the always fascinating creek.  There was the excitement of seeing a rat run along the other bank; that was exceeded by a snake slithering across the path right in front of them, before disappearing in the bushes that lined the path.

Eventually action moved to the pool where Granny provided adult oversight.  Just before lunch Cassie and her daughters appeared on the patio.  Lily and Liam were put on their cushion under the awning.  Gus got out of the pool and came over to spend some time with his brother and sister. 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Michael woke up alone in bed when the alarm went off.  He looked around the bedroom, hoping to see some sign that Ben had returned home.  It was apparent that Ben had not come back.

Michael got out of bed, he had to work today.  He felt sure once he could talk with Ben, they would work this out.  Even if Ben wanted some space while they worked on their relationship Michael was sure he could stay at his mother's temporarily. 

He wondered if Brian's sympathy for Michael being left by Ben might jump start a return to their former close friendship.  Brian might even offer to buy him a new place to live, or just give him the loft.  Michael feels sure that Brian had to be feeling pressure now that Justin had moved his grandmother into Brian's house.  It was bad enough that Justin's two kids had complicated their lives, but Granny may be the straw that breaks Brian's back.  It gave Michael new hope that Justin's hold on Brian would soon be broken.  Maybe Brian and Michael could even move into the loft together.

As Michael got ready for work his upset about Ben leaving was fading fast.  At Kinnetik a lot of people were talking about the party at "Brian and Justin's house".  Michael couldn't help thinking how surprised they would all be if by next July 4th Brian was living with Michael at the loft.

At lunch time Michael walked down to the diner.  In the short term he needed to let his Mother know he would need to stay at her house.  Luckily the diner wasn't busy.  Michael sat at the counter and Debbie had time to come and sit beside him.

"Michael.  Have you talked to Lindsay or Melanie about them not telling JR that Gus was going to live with his fathers?"

Michael rolled his eyes.

"Justin got JR all worked up about Gus's custody.  When we left JR suddenly said she wanted to live with Justin.  He must have planted that idea in her head.  It's up to Mel and Linds to explain why they gave up custody of Gus.  There isn't anything I can do about that."

An incredulous Debbie stared at her son.

"You ARE her Father.  You need to help that little girl understand what is going on with Gus and his Dads."

"Ma I have something more urgent to talk about.  Ben walked out on me and wants me to move out of the house.  I need somewhere to stay temporarily so I'll need to use my old room for a while."

Debbie shook her head.

"Sorry Michael.  That is Joe's room now.  He and Carl have done it over.  New paint, new decorations, so Joe would be comfortable.  It really isn't possible for you to move back to my house."

Michael's mouth dropped open.

"Ma!  I NEED someplace to stay, and you are telling me I can't move home."

"Michael, you are an adult.  My house is no longer your home.  It is my home and Carl's home and Joe's home.  You don't get along with Carl or Joe so it wouldn't be right for you to come live there."

Michael could hardly believe what he was hearing.

‘You are going to choose some broken down cop and a homeless kid over me, your OWN son!  I can't fucking believe what you are telling me!"

Debbie's expression hardened and she stood up.

"How dare you talk to me like that you fucking ingrate!  Carl and I love each other, we are a couple.  We support each other and care about each other.  Joe is an innocent kid that needs some love and security in his life.  Carl and I supply that for him.

You fucked up your life with your husband.  You feel no responsibility for your daughter and you want to lecture me.  Fucking finish your lunch and don't come the hell back here until you are ready to apologize to me."

Debbie went to take care of her customers, leaving a stunned Michael sitting at the counter.  All she could think was Carl was correct when he said Michael cared only about himself.