Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

To Have & to Hold Forever

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first, but this story will make more sense if you do.

Brian and Justin are established partners raising five children together. 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 25

Gus continued to stick by Auntie Em's side, suppling any paperwork he needed and crossing things off the to-do list.  Brian couldn't keep the smile off his face as his Sonny Boy worked hard to be sure the annual 4th of July party would go off without a hitch. 

The changing cubicles arrived and were set up in the garage along with abject apologies from the vendor for the delay.  Some of the workmen were amused to hear Gus call Emmett "Auntie Em".  They were aware of how much work Emmett gave them in a year, so no one said a word.

Granny also observed Gus following Emmett around and helping him check that things were done properly.  She was impressed by the little guy's attention to detail and perseverance.  She understood that Gus was driven by his love for his Daddy.

Rusty was the oldest of five.  He was happy to show off his baby feeding and diaper changing skills with Liam and Lily.  He cared deeply for Emmett and found it interesting to observe Brian and Justin up close and personal.  Rusty knew Emmett put a lot of importance on Brian and Justin opinions.

Emmett told Rusty a lot about Brian and Justin's history.  Seeing them now, Rusty was surprised about their rocky beginning.  He knew about the amazing changes this household had undergone in the last year. 

Rusty would have expected there to be more stress created by all the changes.  He could barely wrap his head around the idea of a couple becoming the fulltime parents of five children in just a little over a year.  The fact that there was plenty of money which meant additional help was available certainly helped the adjustment but Rusty was still impressed at how Brian and Justin seemed to just go with the flow.

Dinner was pizza, not a favorite of Granny's so she accepted an invitation to eat with Alice and Charlie at the cottage.  The three of them were enjoying coffee and pie when Linda and Scott arrived with their children.  Granny was delighted to meet them.  It was a warm evening, so Gene, Marie and Donna were anxious to get in some pool time.  Their parents took charge of getting them unpacked and changed while Granny, Alice and Charlie strolled over to the house.

Pizza dinner was over.  John, Peter, Gus, Brian & Rusty were all in the pool.  Emmett and Justin were sipping wine and watching over Lily and Liam.  The Simpson grandkids happily joined the pool group.  The adults joined Justin and Emmett.

The evening ended early when Emmett announced he had a busy day and needed to get his rest.  Everyone else agreed that tomorrow would be a busy day.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Michael and Ben had dinner at Debbie's house.  Debbie was full of stories about JR and how she was enjoying spending time with her granddaughter.  After relating a final "how cute JR is" story Debbie turned to her son.

"Michael when I picked up JR, she was just finishing her breakfast. I noticed a late notice sitting on the kitchen table.  I pretended I didn't see it and Lindsay stuck it in a drawer.

Now that the girls aren't getting any support from Brian and Sunshine, I think they are having some money troubles.  You need to think about what you can afford in support for JR."

Ben looked thoughtful and Michael looked shocked.

"Ma!  Melanie has never expected me to pay support.  You are taking care of JR that is helping them out.  I can't afford to pay support."

Carl shook his head as he looked across the table to Michael.

"What does your Mother minding JR have to do with you?  She is saving them some money on day care but that doesn't help them with their bills.

Lindsay isn't well enough to work and now with no child support, they only have Melanie's income.  Just because you never paid support doesn't mean you should never pay support.  JR is your daughter.  It is a father's responsibility to take care of his children."

Michael was about to tell Carl that this was none of his business when he noticed his mother and Joe both nodding their heads.  He turned to look at Ben who still had a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Mike, your Mom is right.  You take fifty dollars a week in sending money.  I think you should give fifteen of that for support.  I'll give ten dollars out of my spending money.  We could give a hundred dollars a month to Linds and Mel."

Michael looked horrified.

"I'll talk to Brian about lowering their mortgage payment.  Maybe he can ever just forget about them repaying him."

Ben took Michael's hand.

"It is not Brian's responsibility to help them.  He and Justin have done more than their share.  You need to do your part to make sure there aren't any more changes in JR's life.  It's enough that she'll have to change schools."

Michael was shocked.

"Why would JR have to change schools.  She likes going to Fort Pitt."

Ben didn't know what to say.  Debbie sighed before answering her son.

"Michael, Brian and Justin paid her tuition so that Gus and JR could go to the same school.  I'm sure that Gus will go to that fancy school where John and Peter go.  There's no reason for them to have to drive Gus up to the city every day for school."

"Brian is my best friend.  I'm sure he will still pay the tuition for my daughter.  I just have to talk to him about treating JR fairly."

Ben squeezed Michael's hand.

"Mike, it is not Brian's responsibility to pay for JR's school.  He and Justin are raising five children.  I can't even imagine what their expenses are.  Plus I don't think Justin has any art shows planned so they will have less income."

Michael chuckled.

"I don't think Justin ever contributed much income.  It's Brian and Kinnetik that make all the money."

Joe looked over at Michael.

"I think Justin made more money with his art than a receptionist earns."

Michael started to say something, but Carl laughed, and Debbie announced it was time for dessert.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

The next morning Alice and Charlie hosted daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren for breakfast.  Granny hosted the rest of the household, along with Emmett & Rusty, for breakfast in the pool house.  She made two large frittatas, served along with blueberry muffins and cinnamon buns that Charlie had picked up for her at the bakery.

There was plenty of juice, coffee and tea to drink.  Liam and Lily had their morning bottles before breakfast began.  John helped Granny serve breakfast.  Granny had her own version of a sunshine smile on her face.  It had been quite a while since she hosted a family meal and that had been with a whole different family.  This was a new experience and she relished it.  Granny looked forward to many other family occasions in the future.

Emmett was the first to leave.  His staff was due to arrive and there was a lot of work to be done before guests arrived.  John and Peter stayed behind to help clean up when everyone else returned to the house.

Justin and Rusty took the boys out for an early lunch at McDonalds.  Daddy stayed at home with the twins.  Granny and Alice were "on call" if he needed them. 

The party was supposed to start at 2 PM.  Emmett and his team had everything setup by 1 pm.  By 1:45 PM Brian and Gus, in their matching shirts, were waiting for guests by the back gate.   Justin and Granny were watching over Lily and Liam under the patio awning.

Among the first arrivals were Jennifer & Tucker, along with Debbie, Carl & Joe.  Justin sent Joe down to the game room where Peter and John were hanging out.  Jennifer introduced her Mother to Debbie before the two Grandmoms scooped Liam and Lily.  Both women exclaiming over how the babies were more adorable every time they saw them.

Lindsay and JR were waiting on the porch when Michael and Ben pulled up.  Michael got out of the car to give his daughter a big hug ad kiss.  They had a booster seat fastened in the back seat for JR.  Lindsay got in the back and made sure JR was securely fastened in.

JR got busy telling her Daddy and Uncle Ben what her plans were for the day.  She was looking forward to seeing the new babies and playing with Nina.  JR startled the front seat occupants when she asked Mommy if Gus was coming home with them after the party.  Lindsay calmly reminded her daughter that Gus was spending time with his Daddy and Papa.  Ben and Michael exchanged a quick look, equally surprised by JR's question and Lindsay's response.

Gus was enjoying greeting guest with his Daddy.  He was delighted when anyone mentioned their matching shirts and his smile went ear to ear when arrivals said how much he looked like his Daddy.  Even when Kevin arrived with his family, Gus said he had to help Daddy welcome people and he would find Kevin when he was done.

Kevin found Grandmom Jen.  He was thrilled when she said that Liam and Lily were ready for bottles and would Kevin help her feed them.  Debbie couldn't help smiling at Kevin's delight.  She carried Liam into the house and handed him over to Kevin once he positioned himself on the couch in the family room.  Jennifer sat with Lily beside Kevin, while Debbie heated the bottles in the microwave.

Debbie stayed nearby to help with burping duty.  Kevin took his feeding duty very seriously and concentrated 100% on Liam.  He had a smile on his face as he told Liam how much he loved him and looked forward to watching him grow.  Jennifer looked over at Debbie with a huge smile.

Alice and Charlie along with their whole family walked over from the cottage. The older grandchildren went down to the game room and the youngest were anxious to get into the pool.  Ted and Blake with Nina & Viola arrived just before Michael and Ben.  Nina and JR were anxious to get into the pool with the other kids.  Gus gave his Mommy a subdued greeting and when she suggested they find some snack he told her he was busy helping Daddy welcome people.   Gus gave JR a hug and kiss and told her that he was glad to see her.

 

Alice took Viola under her wing and said Debbie and Jennifer would be back outside once the twins were fed.   Meanwhile they got drinks and claimed some chairs in the shade,

Sidney arrived with his son and his family.   The Gardners arrived just as the teenage contingent emerged from the house.  Peter, Joe, Josh and the older Simpson grandson went to play badminton.   Some of the adults organized a volleyball game.  Ben was overseeing JR and Nina in the pool.  Blake and Ted challenged Mary and Bill Gardner to a tennis match.

Granny moved around the yard introducing herself to guests.  She enjoyed meeting people that she had heard about.  Sidney made a big fuss over her and insisted on getting her some wine from one of the bars.  Granny also enjoyed watching the young children enjoying the pool before venturing down into the yard to watch the badminton and volleyball games.

Once the babies were done their bottles Jennifer and Debbie took them up to the nursery.  Kevin came along.  He was not really sure who Debbie was or how she fit into the family.  He helpfully pointed out Gus's bedroom and told her he had slept over a few times in Gus's room.  He informed her the double doors led to Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin's bedroom.  He let her know they had a huge bed and when he and Gus woke up in the mornings they always got into the big bed with the uncles.

Debbie acted fascinated by the information and thanked Kevin for letting her know.  Lily and Liam were rocked to sleep and put in their crib.  Jennifer picked up the baby monitor and they all went back outside.  Gus and Brian had finished up greeting guests, since most people had arrived.  Gus was free to walk around the yard with Kevin and watch what was going on.

Michael was delighted to spot Brian without Justin being anywhere in sight.  He was talking to Justin's grandmother who was laughing at whatever Brian was saying.  Michael hurried over to them.

"Brian!  I need to talk with you."

"Mikey have you met Justin's Grandmother, Mrs Endicott?"

"Yeah, hello, nice to meet you.  I have something important to talk to Brian about.  We have known each other since junior high.  I'm his best friend."

Granny turned and look directly at Michael.

"I know who you are.  I know you have known him for a long time.  I also know who Brian's best friend is."

Brian smiled.  Poor Mikey had no idea that he had stumbled into dangerous territory.

"Brian I really need to talk with you.  It's important."

"So Mikey what's so urgent?"

Michael looked pointedly ay Granny.   "I need to talk with you privately!"

Granny stared at Michael.

"I actually thought people had exaggerated but I see now you are just as clueless as I've been led to believe.  It is actually a little hard to believe."

Granny turned to walk away, muttered "best friend" and chuckled.

"Brian, is Gus going back to Fort Pitt School?"

"Mikey, that wouldn't make any sense.  Gus is actually excited about going to the same school as John and Peter.  He'll go to Washington Academy when school starts."

"But what about JR!  Mom thinks you are going to stop paying her tuition."

Brian was shocked.

"Mikey, I am not responsible for supporting JR.  Justin and I agreed to pay her tuition so she and Gus could go to the same school.  Gus is no longer living with his mothers.  If you and Mel want JR to attend Fort Pitt you'll have to figure out how to pay the tuition.

You do realize that Justin and I are responsible for five children.  Of course, we still care about JR but she is not our responsibility.  She is your daughter."

Michael's voice got louder and went up half an octave.   "Briiaan".

Several people looked in their direction.  Debbie sitting with Jennifer and Viola looked over and sighed.

"I can't believe Michael is bothering Brian today.  He is probably talking about JR's tuition."

Jennifer turned to her friend.

"What has JR's tuition to do with Brian?"

"We talked about it last night.  Carl and I mentioned that Michael needs to think about giving some sort of support to Mel and Linds for JR.  I'm worried they might have to sell the house and get something smaller.  I said it was a big enough change for JR that she would have to change schools.  You know how Michael is about Brian.  He thinks Brian will continue to pay JR tuition at Fort Pitt."

Jennifer was shocked.

"Doesn't Michael realize all the expenses Justin and Brian have.  There are five children depending on them."

"I know.  We all tried to make Michael see reason, even Ben.  The main one who is going to be hurt is JR.  I wish there was some way I could pay for that fucking school."

Tears ran down Debbie's face.  Viola looked on horrified.  Jennifer leaned over to give her friend a hug.  She hated seeing Debbie so upset.

"Debbie.  I have a solution.  I'll give you the money for the tuition, but you mustn't tell anyone where you got the money.  Viola. I'm counting on you to keep out secret."

"No Jen.  That's very generous but it isn't right."

"I can afford it.  JR shouldn't suffer because of her mothers' actions.  I just don't want anyone to know."

Viola reached over to squeeze Jennifer's hand and smile.

"I know Nina would miss JR at school so I'm happy she won't have to change schools too."

Jennifer smiled.

"See Deb.  This is best for everyone. You can tell Carl but no one else."

Debbie agreed.

Meanwhile Brian pulled Michael over to the pool house door.  There was a "Do Not Enter" sign posted but Brian and Michael went inside.

"Mikey, I want you to listen carefully because I am tired of having this conversation.  We have a long history of friendship.  We share memories that no one else has but life has moved on for both of us.  You have Ben in your life, and I have always tried to be supportive of your relationship.  You have never been supportive of my relationship with Justin.  I love Justin and I am the happiest I have ever been.

I honestly don't care if you understand that or if you approve of my relationship with Justin.  I am not going to try and explain my feelings or to defend them because they are none of your fucking business.  I owe you nothing.  If you can't or won't accept my relationship with Justin, then we just won't be able to socialize.  We'll see each other at family occasions but mainly from across the room.  The next time you insult or denigrate Justin I will punch you in the mouth.  Of course, if that happens you will also lose your job.

JR is a nice girl, and I am fond of her, but she is your daughter not mine.  I feel no obligation to pay her tuition or bankroll any attempt for you to gain custody of her.  Justin and I both have successful careers, and we make a lot of money, but we have earned the money, it was not given to us.  I feel no obligation to give that money to other people simply because they want me to.

We are not best friends and we have not been best friends for several years.  Justin is my best friend.  Try and absorb these facts and readjust your take on reality to fit these facts.  Now let's get back to the party."

Brian took an incredulous Michael by the hand and went back out on the patio.  John quickly walked up to them.

"Hi Michael."     "Uncle Brian, I've been looking for you.  We need you to ref the soccer game."

Brian smiled at his nephew.

"Sure Buddy.  Lead the way."

Michael stood there alone.  He looked across the patio and saw his mother looking his way.  He quickly walked in the other direction.

He saw Ben and Bill Gardner talking.  He went and stood by them and pretended to listen to their conversation.  In reality his mind was reeling, still trying to deal with what Brian had said to him.

Granny made her way over to where Jennifer was sitting with Debbie and Viola.  She gratefully sunk into a chair.

"Goodness this is a big crowd.  Emmett has a gift; everything seems so well organized and regulated."

Debbie chuckled.

"Emmett has found his spot in life.  Of course, they have this same huge fucking party every year.  Em has the routine memorized."

Jennifer kept her eyes on her mother.  She wasn't sure how her mother would deal with Debbie's colorful vocabulary.  She was surprised when her mother smiled at Debbie's statement.  Her mother winked at Jennifer and gave a quick shoulder shrug.

Cassie arrived to take over care of Liam and Lily.  Her daughters were friends with the Simpson granddaughters.  They were currently being watched over by their grandfather.

Molly came over to claim Granny as a Pinochle partner against Roxanne and Mary.  She was followed by Alice to get her favorite Canasta partner, Jennifer, for a game against her daughter and daughter in law.  Blake came over to let Viola know that Nina was anxious to show off her swimming skills.  He invited Debbie to come along with them, but she said she was going to find Joe or Carl to see what they were doing.

There were two soccer games going on at the same time.  Over by the orchard adult men and women were playing.  That game was referee by John's summer soccer coach. He and his family were guests for the second year.  On the opposite side of the property, there was a game for teens and younger kids.  Brian was refereeing that game.

Debbie found Carl watching the kids play soccer.  She smiled to see Joe running down the field.  She was a little more concerned to see Gus and Kevin out on the field.

"Carl, do you think it is safe for Gus and Kevin to be out there?"

Carl turned to her with a smiled.

"No worries Red.  Look who is next to them at all times."

Debbie noticed that John and Patrick stayed close to the little guys and chuckled.  Gus and Kevin were in safe hands.

"I see what you mean Honey.  They have protection."

Carl laughed.

"Plus Brian threatened to throw a kid out of the game when he accidently bumped into Gus and knocked him down.  Gus just got up and brushed himself off.  Not a single tear or a complaint.  I think he felt like it meant he was really playing with the bigger boys.  Look at the smiles on Gus and Kevin's faces."

Debbie chuckled.

"Those are two happy little guys.  How is Joe doing?"

"Well he's not the best player on the field but he's far from the worst.  We'll have to see if he is interested in joining a team."

Debbie put her arm through Carl's as they stood and watched the game.

Justin and Sidney were standing together and talking.  Lindsay had been looking for just this opportunity as she walked over to the two men.

"Hello Justin, Sidney."

Both men were a little startled as they turned to Lindsay.   Justin, schooled in country club manners, recovered first.

"Linds, we're so glad you were able to come today.  I hope you are enjoying yourself and spending some time with Gus."

"Well Gus is pretty taken up with male pursuits right now.  I was hoping to talk with you and Sidney."

Both men hoped that Lindsay was going to ask about coming to work at the gallery again.  There was nothing about that experience that they wished to repeat.

Sidney didn't even attempt a smile.

"Since you want to talk to the two of us; I am guessing it is something that involves the Gallery?"

"Yes, it is about the Gallery.  I have been really productive in my studio at home.  Justin, I'm sure you can relate to traumatic experiences sometimes really giving your creative juices flowing.

This past year has not been the best in my life but I'm excited about the art I have been creating.  I am hoping you will agree to giving me a gallery show."

Sidney was stunned to silence.  Justin summoned up a smile.

"Linds you know how an art gallery operates.  We can't agree to a show on the spur of the moment.  I suggest we set up a time to see some of the art you would include in a show.  Sidney and I could come to the house or you can come to the Gallery with some samples of your work.

Certainly, you understand the need for us to see your work before we agree to a show."

Lindsay's face registered her disappointment.

"I was hoping with our long history you would trust my judgment."

Sidney replied.

"Lindsay with your history of gallery work, I am shocked you would think that any reputable gallery would agree to a show from an unknown artist without seeing an example of their work.  I understand you are trying to appeal to Justin on a personal level. 

Once again, I find myself surprised by your lack of professionalism.  This is not something to be discussed at a social occasion.  Call the gallery and set up an appointment for us to come and see your art.  You will probably need to supply a couple dates and we will decide what works best for Justin and myself.

Now I am going to go see what my grandchildren are doing.  I think the food service will start soon and I don't want to miss out on getting a couple of Alice's deviled eggs."

Sidney walked away without another word.

Justin shrugged.

"Sorry Linds.  I think Sidney is having a hard time forgetting your history together.  This is a case of twice burned, twice as shy.  I'm looking forward to seeing your art and I promise you will get a fair chance at a show.  Now I agree with Sidney, this is a social occasion.  I'm going to circulate among my guests."

Lindsay wasn't pleased how that encounter went. She had not anticipated that level of animosity from Sidney. She was expecting a higher degree of sympathy for the events of the last year.

Justin walked down to watch the soccer game that Brian was refereeing.  He spotted Debbie and Carl on the sidelines.  He smiled at Debbie's "colorful" encouragements shouted to an embarrassed Joe.  Justin could see Peter and Josh's amused looks and side comments to Joe.

He was surprised to see Gus and Kevin running down the field.  Justin quickly looked around and spotted Greg watching his sons and looking happy and proud.  Everyone screamed as Kevin was able to pass the ball to his brother who scored a goal.

Chimes announced food service was beginning and the games ended.  Patrick swung Kevin up on his shoulders and walked over to his father.  Gus ran over to Justin.

"Papa, did you see.  Kevin and I got to play with the bigger guys.  It was so much fun!  Kevin did really good."

Justin knelt down to give Gus a hug.

"You did great too Gus.  I'm glad you had fun."

Justin looked over with a smile as Joe was telling Debbie how embarrassing she was.  Carl was laughing as Debbie told Joe he was an ungrateful little shit.  Carl told Joe if he was interested in soccer, they could see about him spending some time with John and Patrick.  They were both good players who could help him develop skills. 

Debbie added that she would ask Brian to coach him if Joe was interested.  He leaned over to kiss her cheek.    "You really are annoying but dependable."

That made Carl laugh even louder.  The three of them started towards the food tables, Carl in the middle with his arms around the other two.

Brian came over to Justin and Gus.

"We better get to the food before they run out.  I don't want to listen to you two complain about missing out on good stuff."

Gus looked a little concerned, but Papa assured him Daddy was just kidding.  Brian put Gus up on his shoulders as they walked, and Justin draped his arm around Brian's waist.  They caught up with Greg, Patrick, and Kevin.  The boys were happy to be riding high on their brother and Daddy's shoulders.  Justin could see how delighted Greg was with Kevin's soccer kick.

Brian, Justin, and Gus ate at a table with Ted, Blake, Nina & JR.  The three children competed on telling stories about what they had done so far.  The four adults laughed and encouraged their telling of their exploits.  As they finished eating JR and Nina asked Ted and Blake to take them exploring by the creek.  Gus announced he was going to find Kevin and Mark Simpson before he decided what to do next.

JR asked a question which shocked the adults into silence.

"Gus are you coming home with Mommy and me today?"

Gus shrugged.

"NO.  I live here with Daddy and Papa now.  Didn't you know that?"

JR was wide eyed.

"You mean you are going to live here all the time.

Gus shook his head.  "Yup.  I'm going to go find Kevin.  See you later."

JR looked over at Uncle Jus.

"Uncle Jus, do Mama and Mommy know Gus is going to live here with you and Uncle Bri?"

Justin forced a smile onto his face.

"Of course, they know Sweetie.  We all decided it was the best thing to do."

Blake announced that they should go down to the creek.  When they left Brian turned to Justin.

"How could the Munchers not tell JR about Gus's custody?   She been spending time with Debbie; she should have told her."

"I don't know Brian.  What a way for poor JR to find out.  This really isn't our concern.  By the way Lindsay asked Sidney and I if she could have a show at the gallery.  Sidney isn't too happy about that happening."

Brian just stared at Justin.

"That explains why she decided to come here today.  Let's not let this spoil the day.  Plenty of time to talk about it later."

Brian leaned over for a kiss before Cynthia came over to recruit him for a Kinnetik volleyball game.

Justin went to see what John and Peter were up to.

Jennifer, Debbie, and Viola had enjoyed lunch in their favorite spot under the patio awning.   Tucker and Carl delivered dessert and coffee.  Mary and Roxanne came over to join them.  When they asked Jennifer how the twins were doing, she and Debbie decided Lily and Liam needed some fresh air.

Together they went in the house.  Emmett happened to be in the kitchen, so no one questioned the grandmothers coming into the house.  They went upstairs and told Cassie she could take a break.  Jennifer suggested she check and see what her daughters were doing.

Granny had joined the group when Jennifer and Debbie returned.  Mary, Roxanne, and Viola all raved about how adorable the babies were.  Liam and Lily seemed very content to be snuggled by their grandmothers.  Once word spread that the twins were outside a parade of people came by.  Granny took on the role of guardian never hesitating to remind people to keep their distance.  She didn't want her great grandchildren to be handled by too many people or frightened by strange faces.