Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

To Have & to Hold Forever

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first, but this story will make more sense if you do.

Brian and Justin are established partners raising five children together. 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 23

Just as everyone had finished dessert Jay's phone rang.  He got up from the table and took a few steps away before connecting the call.

"Hi Dad,"

"Well, I knew you were out of town.  There wasn't anything you could do, and I didn't want to upset you.  Peter said his Papa would figure out what to do when he got to school."

"It's been fun.  Peter and I have been on the pool most of the afternoon.  His brother is here and his little cousin, Gus.  Uncle Justin and Uncle Brian have two babies, Lily and Liam.  They are really cute.  Tomorrow Josh Gardner is going to come over to hang out with us."

At the table all eyes turned to Peter, who had a sheepish expression on his face.

"I was going to ask after dinner was over."

Brian looked over at him with a frown.  Justin smiled and put his hand on Brian's arm.  Granny looked over at John and they both started laughing.  Gus looked around at everyone not sure what was happening.

Jay walked over with his phone.

"Uncle Justin.  My Dad wants to talk to you."

Justin smiled at Jay and took the phone.

"Hi David."

"Justin, I wanted to thank you for taking care of Jay.  I also want to apologize for whatever Andrea said to you.  She called me and from what she said I gather she must have been very rude."

Justin chuckled.

"No problem.  She got quite a talking to from our housekeeper, Alice, who knows her parents.  It's fine for Jay to be here as long as you need.  He & Peter are getting along great and Peter has twin beds in his bedroom so no problem with accommodations.

Hopefully you don't have any of the same reservations as Jay's mother."

"Justin, I am just grateful you stepped up to take care of Jay.  I think you know I have been friends with Bill Gardner for years.  He is always saying what great people you and Brian are.  He and Mary credit Peter's good influence on the increase in Josh's grads this year.

Andrea needs to have some tests done tomorrow at the hospital.  She called me to come home early from my business trip.  I am hoping it won't be too much of an imposition if he stays another day with your family."

"That will be fine.  I believe he and Peter have already conspired to have Josh spend the day here tomorrow."

Both men chuckled and Justin handed the phone back to Jay.

Jay and his father talked for a short time before he returned to the table.

Justin looked over at Peter.

"So how come no call from Josh's Mom or Dad about him spending the day here tomorrow?"

Peter glanced at Uncle Brian before looking at his Papa.

"I told him to wait until I texted him that I had talked to you and Uncle Brian."

Brian looked at his nephew with raised eyebrows.

"As if talking to me played any role in your plans."

John and Granny burst out in laughter again at the guilty expression on Peter's face.  Gus examined his Daddy's face to see if he was really angry with Peter.  Gus could tell Daddy was just pretending to be angry so he joined in the laughter.

Before Justin could say anything, Brian let out a loud, exasperated breath.

"Just go ahead and text him.  You and Jay will have to get up early because one his parents will have to drop Josh off before they go to work."

Justin leaned over and gave Brian a kiss.  Peter sent a text and two minutes later Justin's cell phone rang.  He was laughing when he said hello to Bill Gardner.

"Yes.  I was expecting your call.  Apparently, there was plotting taking place this afternoon."

Justin Laughed at Bill's reply.

"It's fine for you to drop off Josh before work.  Brian has already told the boys they have to wake up early.  Of course, Lily and Liam are sure to have us awake before you drop him off."

Jay looked over at Brian with an uneasy expression on his face.  Based on his mother's behavior he was expecting an explosion.  He had visions of being dropped off at the hospital door before Brian sped away.

Peter had a smile on his face as he looked across the table.

"Thanks Papa."

Brian loudly cleared his throat.

"Oh Yeah, thanks Uncle Brian."

Granny led the laughter at that remark and even Brian joined in.

Jay was amazed by this household.  His mother never encouraged him to have friends over to the house.  It was extremely rare to have anyone for dinner except his mother and himself.  H couldn't imagine making plans behind his mother's back like Peter did with Josh.

His mother warned him to not be alone with Mr Kinney or Mr Taylor.  His father told him to enjoy himself on his "mini-vacation".  Since his parents never seemed to agree, it seemed normal for them to give him different instructions.

John suggested that he and Gus take on Peter and Jay in some ping pong.  Gus was beside himself with excitement and the four boys headed down to the game room.  As it turned out Jay had less ping pong skill than Gus, so the games were pretty one sided for the John-Gus team. There was lots of laughter and no hard feelings.

When Gus was summoned for his bath; Jay got pool lessons from Peter and John who had learned how to shoot pool from the uncles.

When the three boys came back upstairs, Granny had gone out to her room and Lily and Liam were just finishing up their bottles, fed by their Daddy and Papa.  John said good night and went up the back stairs to his room.  Peter came over to give Papa and Uncle Brian good night hugs.  Brian was amused when Jay followed Peter's example and gave both men hugs.

Once the boys left Brian smirked at his partner who chuckled.  They took the twins upstairs and rocked them to sleep before retiring to their bedroom.  The babies slept for 4 hours before waking up their fathers and quickly went back to sleep after getting clean diapers and fed bottles.

The next morning Gus, Daddy & Papa arrived in the kitchen with two hungry babies.  Peter and Jay were already having a breakfast of toaster waffles.  Peter quickly got up from the table to get two bottles out of the refrigerator and put them in the microwave.  Jay walked over to see Liam and Lily.  His baby experience was nonexistent.  He smiled at Gus singing to his brother and sister and how the babies stared at him with wide open eyes.

Brian looked down at his children and turned toward Jay.

"Gus has the knack of charming Lily and Liam.  They seem to know he is their big brother and how much he loves them.  He is a big help to his Papa and me."

Gus smiled but didn't stop his song.  Peter tested the bottles temperature on his arm and brought them over.  Justin smiled at Jay.

"Would you like to feed Lily?"

"I don't know how.  I don't want to hurt the baby."

"They aren't that fragile.  Go ahead and sit here on the couch.  I'll show you what to do."

Jay quickly settled on the couch.  Justin placed Lily in his arms and showed him how to hold her while she drank her bottle.  Brian was at the other end of the couch feeding his son.  Peter offered to make some waffles for Gus, and they hurried over to the kitchen.

Jay watched Brian who was smiling at his Sunbeam and talking to him.  Telling him all the fun they would have and all the things his Daddy would buy him.  Jay chuckled and started his own silly conversation with Lily.

The doorbell rang and Justin went to front door.  Bill Gardner and Josh were standing on the front stoop. Bill smiled at Justin.

"Do you really want another kid around here.  I can drop Josh back at home."

"DAD!"

Justin smiled at Josh.

"Peter is making breakfast for Gus.  Jay is feeding Lily her bottle.  If you are hungry there are plenty of toaster waffles."

Josh thanked him and hurried to the kitchen/family room to join his friends.  Bill stepped into the house.

"Okay if I get a look at Liam and Lily before I go?"

"Come on in.  I'm always happy to show off our new additions."

Bill exclaimed over the growth and cuteness of the twins.  He reminded Josh to behave, which produced a groan from his son, before he left for the drive to Pittsburgh.

John appeared from the backstairs a few moments before Granny came through the patio doors.  John offered to make her breakfast, but she assured him she prepared her own breakfast before coming in the house.

Once Liam and Lily were fed, all five boys went down to the creek to see what was happening there.  John took Gus's hand, Brian and Justin knew there was no need to remind John to look after Gus. They also knew that Gus would not stray far from John's side.

Alice and Cassie arrived at almost the same time.  Alice made a pot of tea so she and Granny could have a chat while Justin went up to his studio and Brian headed down the hall to the study.  After their chat Alice got to work and Granny headed back to the pool house to settle in her new chair and read. 

Everyone got together at lunch time.  After they ate the boys were ready for some time in the pool.  Gus thought that being included in what the bigger boys were doing was just this side of heaven.  Granny brought her book out on the patio and settled in a chair under the awning.

Cassie and her daughter came outside so Lily and Liam could get some fresh air.  Lucy and Violet spent some time in the pool.  Deciding the older boys needed some time to themselves, Granny got some yarn and crochet hooks from the pool house.  She called to Gus, Violet and Lucy and told them she was going to teach them how to crochet.

All three children thought it was fun to learn something new and it was neat to have Granny's undivided attention.  Cassie looked on with a big smile.  She had never learned to crochet and found herself with her own hook and joining in the lesson. 

Justin came out of the house and Gus called him to come over and see what Granny was showing them.  Gus was delighted and amazed when Papa told him that Granny had also taught him how to crochet when he was a little boy.

Justin said it had been a long time since he crocheted but he took Gus's hook for a minute and showed them all that he could still do it.  He went back in the house and the lesson continued.  Inside Justin went down to the study to check on what Brian was doing.

Brian was amused by the crochet lesson being conducted on the patio.   He laughed out loud when Justin told him that Granny had also taught him how to crochet.

"Sunshine!  Why no afghans to warm us during the cold winter nights"

Justin smirked.

"That's your job Brian.  I probably won't need an afghan for a couple more years."

Both men chuckled as they made their way down the hall.  The doorbell rang as they reached the entrance hall.  Brian and Justin looked at each and shrugged.  As Justin moved towards the door Brian said.

"If it is another kid looking for a place to stay, tell them we are at our legal limit!"

Justin chuckled.  He was shocked when he opened the front door.

"Aunt Kate!"

"Hello Justin.  Since you have all done your best to keep me from speaking with my mother, you left me no choice but to come here in person."

Kate stepped past Justin, into the house.

"Now that I am here please take me to my mother right now."

Justin rolled his eyes.

"Aunt Kate no one has kept you from talking to Granny.  The fact is that Granny has not wanted to speak to you.  I will have to see if she wants to see you.  You can wait here in the Parlor."

Justin indicated the doorway to the Parlor.  Kate attempted to walk past him, but Brian stepped forward to block the way.  Kate gave him a scathing look in an attempt to intimidate him.  Brian simply smiled at her.

"I demand to see my mother immediately!"  

Brian looked her in the eye.

"No one here gives a damn about your demands.  You are an intruder in our home.  You can wait in the Parlor or I can toss you out on your ass.  Those are your current options.  Pick one quickly or I will choose for you."

"Quiet bluntly and rudely put Mr Kinney."

"Well Kate, I wasn't raised with country club manners like your family.  I was raised in a blunt and rude family."

Justin couldn't stop his chuckle which further incensed his aunt.

"Aunt Kate, Brian is correct.  You are not a guest in our home, you are an intruder.  I will go and see if Granny is willing to see you. Please wait in the Parlor.

Would you like something to drink while you wait?"

"Some water would be appreciated."

Justin nodded and walked away. On his way through the kitchen Justin asked Alice to take his aunt a glass of water.

Kate glanced around the Parlor before settling in a chair.  She looked at the portrait over the fireplace.

"It seems odd Mr Kinney to have a portrait of you as a child hanging over the fireplace."

Brian smiled.

"That is our son Gus.  Justin painted it a few years ago.  If it were a portrait of me as a child, it would have to include some bruises or bandages to be considered lifelike. 

Currently Gus is getting a crochet lesson from Granny along with our nanny's daughters.  The other kids are enjoying the pool.  Granny enjoys watching them at play."

Kate was surprised.

"The other kids?"

"My teenaged nephews, John and Peter.  We have legal custody of them.  Peter has a couple friends visiting for the day.  Of course, the latest addition to our family, Liam and Lily, are also out on the patio.  Granny may not be willing to tear herself away from them just to see you."

Alice appeared with a tray that held a glass of ice water and a carafe.  She placed it on a table next to the chair where Kate sat.

"Would you like anything to drink Brian?"

"No thanks Alice."

When Justin told Granny that Aunt Kate was in the Parlor and wanted to talk with her, she made an annoyed face.  Justin said he would turn her away if that was what Granny wanted him to do.  Granny smiled at him.

"No sense putting this off.  I hoped Kate would just accept my decision to move here but stubborn is a family trait.  You and I both know that is true.

I know this makes me sound like an old lady and I apologize but I would like you and Brian to stay in the room while Kate and I talk.  This unannounced trip just seems somewhat desperate to me.  I don't understand it.  Kate should be angry that I am choosing not to live under her roof and have cut off communication.  Instead she flies here to see me.  Why?  I just feel uneasy."

"No worries Granny.  We'll be right by your side."

Justin announced that he and Granny were going in the house to talk with Aunt Kate.  John happened to be out of the pool checking his phone.  He looked over at Uncle Justin who just shrugged.  Since he was the one who blocked Kate's number on Granny's phone, he was surprised she had shown up here.

When Justin and Granny went inside John went out the side gate.  He saw the car parked by the garage doors, out of sight from the front door.  There was a man standing beside the car, smoking a cigarette.  John used his phone to take a photo of the man and went back to the patio.  The man never noticed John.

Charlie was working in the flower beds, so John went over to him.  He told Charlie about the man and showed him the photo.  Charlie took John's phone and went into the house.

When Justin and Granny walked into the Parlor, Brian stood up, anxious to escape.  Justin gave him a look and a quick nod of his head.  Brian got the message and raised his eyes heavenward.  He got a smile from Justin.  Granny and Justin joined Brian on the sofa.

Kate started across the room, arms outstretched, to hug his mother.  Granny put up a warning hand and Kate returned to her chair.

"Mother I was hoping we could have a nice conversation, just the two of us, about why you decided to stay here in Pittsburgh.  You choose to move away from the harsh Eastern winters.  I don't understand why you have changed your mind."

Granny stared at her oldest daughter for a few moments.

"it's very simple dear.  I changed my mind.  I thought we could co-exist comfortably, but I no longer feel that way.  You seem to feel that you should run my life while I believe I need to run my own life."

Kate took a small plastic container out of her purse.

"Mother I want to clear up any misunderstandings between us.  I brought some of your favorite cookies.  I was hoping we could have some tea and cookies and talk.  I think this is a family matter that can be best resolved by a private talk between the two of us."

"It's a little early for teatime.  Brian and Justin's housekeeper, Alice, is an amazing cook and baker.  I am still a little full from lunch.

Your sister, Jennifer, has a wonderful analogy about family.  She says there are blood families, which you and I and Justin are members of, and there are love families, which Justin, Brian and I are members of.  Jennifer feels that love families have the stronger bond and I agree.

Whatever you have to say to me, you can feel free to say it in front of Justin and Brian."

Kate had a big insincere smile on her face.  Justin matched her smile for smile.

"Mother I just feel that this is an issue between the two of us and can be quickly resolved if we have a chance to speak privately.  All my life tea has been your beverage of choice for discussions.  Let's just have some tea and cookies and clear the air."

Justin's smile never dimmed.

"You know Aunt Kate; my mother has continued that tea and conversation tradition.  Brian and I are quite familiar with the tradition.  Granny has said she doesn't want tea so we will just have to skip tea.  Feel free to have one of your cookies."

Kate's smile dimmed for a moment.

"I brought the cookies for Mother.  I know how much she likes them."

Alice came to the Parlor doorway.

"Brian can I see you for a moment.  I have a question about dinner."

All three occupants of the sofa turned to Alice before a mystified Brian followed her out into the hall.  Charlie was waiting.  He and Alice told Brian about the man in the driveway.  Brian asked them to come into the Parlor with him.

"Aunt Kate, I understand you brought someone with you to visit.  It seems a shame to make him wait out on the driveway.  Alice and Charlie will keep you company while Justin and I invite your friend inside."

Kate stood up.

"That is just s friend who was coming to Pittsburgh for business.  He has nothing to do with our family matters."

Granny stood up and looked intently at her daughter.

"I'm anxious to meet this traveling companion."

Charlie walked over to Granny and showed her the photo on John's phone.  Granny nodded and glared at Kate.

"Just what business does your lawyer have in Pittsburgh?  I will be interesting to hear what he has to say,"

Kate started towards the door.  Alice blocked the way.

"I suggest you sit down or I will sit you down."

Brian turned to Justin.

"You take the high road and I'll take the low ride and we'll be in lawyer land together."

Justin went out the front door and Brian hurried out the patio doors and through the gate to the driveway.  The lawyer spotted Justin first and attempted to get into the car but Brian was right behind him.

Justin spoke first.

"Just what are you doing lurking here in our driveway?"

"I'm ahh.... here with your Aunt.  We traveled together.  She was nervous about traveling around in a strange city by herself."

Brian chuckled.

"That's odd.  Kate said you had business in Pittsburgh and she traveled with you."

The lawyer didn't seem to know what to say.  Brian glanced into the car and saw a briefcase on the front seat.  He opened the car door and grabbed the briefcase.

The lawyer protested,

"That is my personal property.  You have no right to look at the contents.  It contains privileged information."

Brian smirked.

"From my perspective you are trespassing on private property and we are trying to figure out what you are doing here.  You and Justin's aunt seem to have conflicting stories."

Justin came over to stand beside Brian.  Brian quickly spotted the folder labeled "Endicott" and pulled it out.  Inside was a power of attorney form naming Kate as Granny's power of attorney.

Justin let out a deep breath.

"Why do you have this from ready for my Grandmother to sign.  She doesn't need a power of attorney and she is NOT your client."

"Well she is a client of the same law firm and her daughter is just trying to make Mrs Endicott's life easier."

Brian shook his head.

"I'm sure you are aware that Granny is no longer a client of your law firm.  Her new attorney faxed a form to your office informing them that he now represented Granny and they needed to forward any documents in their possession to his office.

You sir seem to be a liar and a poor liar at that.  Let's all go inside and see if we can straighten all this out."

Brian kept the folder and handed the lawyer his briefcase.  Justin led the way into the house.

When the got back in the Parlor Brian noticed the plastic container of cookies was still on the table beside Kate's chair.  He leisurely walked over and grabbed the container.  Kate and her lawyer looked at each other and she spoke up.

"That is my container you have no right to take it."

Brian smiled at her.

"You said these cookies were for Granny.  I just picked them up for her."

"Well I want them back right now!"

Brian smirked.

"People in hell want ice water but they're not getting that either.  I plan to have these cookies analyzed to find out the ingredients so Alice can make them for Granny."

Kate looked at her lawyer.  Granny, Alice & Charlie looked puzzled.  Justin looked amazed.

The lawyer decided to brazen it out.

"You guys are skating on thin ice here.  You have no right to keep Kate's or my property.  You need to give back the folder and the cookies before you find yourself in serious trouble."

Brian laughed out loud.

"Counselor I think you must realize that you are the one headed for serious trouble.  Kate could be in trouble too but I'm fairly sure she will throw you under the bus. 

First, we will find out just what is in these cookies.  Second, we are curious about why you showed up here with a power of attorney for Granny to sign.  Third, we are going to request an investigation in how Kate managed to find out about Granny's net worth.  It would appear that confidentiality rules were broken.

Justin and I are going to do everything we can to have you disbarred.  And Kate, if these cookies have any drugs in them; I am going to beg Granny to let us seek criminal charges against you.  At a minimum everyone in your family will know what a slimy bitch you are."

Justin came up beside Brian and put his arm around his partner's waist. 

"I never liked you Aunt Kate and I believe that feeling is mutual.  However, I never thought you would do anything like Brian is suggesting."

Granny stood up and came over to the two men with tears in her eyes.

"Kate I will never have anything to do with sending you to jail.  I sincerely hope that Brian is wrong about what he suspects you planned. 

I suppose I have been naïve.  I noticed you had less shopping trips and expensive lunches with the girls.  I realize your money problems must be worse than I suspected.  You can expect no money from me now and nothing will be left to you in my will."

Alice and Charlie went out into the entrance hall and opened the front door.

Justin's final words to his aunt were.

"You two need to get out of our home right now or we will physically remove you."

Kate started to say something, but her lawyer took her arm and they left.

Justin turned to his grandmother and pulled her into a hug.

Granny looked at Justin.

"My own child?  I would never have believed my own child would attempt something like this."

Alice came back in the room and took the container from Brian. 

"Charlie is going to take this over to the sheriff's office and get them to test these cookies."

Granny looked over at Alice.   "Thank you."

Granny straightened her spine and gave Justin a kiss on the cheek before she pulled away from him.  She turned to Brian and also gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"I am going to go out and continue the crochet lesson.  We'll talk more about this when we have all the facts.  I love you both very much."

Granny turned, put a smile on her face and went out to the patio.  Gus, Violet and Lucy hurried over to her, excited to continue their crocheting.

Brian pulled Justin into a tight hug.

"I feel sorry for Granny.  That had to be rough.  I'm going to call Larry and see how we get that lawyer investigated.  I am going to do everything I can to nail his ass to the wall."

Justin gave Brian a kiss.

"I love you so much Brian.  You are so amazing.  I am going to call Mom.  I think she needs to come and help Granny deal with this Kate mess."

Brian went to the study.  Justin went out to the kitchen to get his cell phone and call his mother.  As he suspected his mother was furious with her sister.  She was leaving immediately to be with her mother.

When Jennifer arrived, she spent some time with her all her grandchildren, along with Josh & Jay, before she and Granny went to the pool house.  Justin asked Alice to make a big pot of tea and cut some cake.  He avoided cookies.  He took the tray with tea and cake out to the pool house.  He got hugs from his Mother and Granny but got the subtle message that the women needed time alone.

Justin spent time with the twins and watching the antics of the older boys.  He tried to think about how he would feel if any of these youngsters behaved to him like Kate did to Granny.  It was hard for to imagine it would ever happen and how he would feel if it did.

Brian came outside and Justin shared a lounger with him.  A tired-out Gus took the opportunity to sit with his fathers.  He didn't fall asleep but they all talked quietly together.  Brian was mostly the listener in the group but did occasionally contribute to the conversation.  He enjoyed listening to his son and his partner who never seemed to be at a loss for something to talk about.

Dinner was more casual tonight.  Alice made a bunch of different salads and Brian grilled burgers and hot dogs.  Granny and Grandmom Jen made the effort to behave normally for dinner.   Justin noticed a little more makeup to hide the red eyes of both women, but no mention was made of Kate's visit.

Bill and Mary Gardner arrived after dinner to pick up Josh.  Jay's Dad would be back in town the next morning and was coming to pick up Jay after his plane landed.  Brian was happy things would be back to normal for a couple days before Emmett arrived to prepare for the big Fourth of July party.

After dinner was eaten, it was time for Lily and Liam to get their bottles.  Granny and Grandmom Jen claimed baby feeding duty.  Shortly after the twins had finished their bottles.  Gus announced he was tired, so Brian took him upstairs for his bath and Justin

Grandmom Jen decided she was spending the night in the pool house with Granny.  She quietly requested Justin to bring a couple bottles of wine out to them.  Justin brought the wine to the pool house before he went up to read Gus a story.

Brian suggested a walk to Justin who agreed that sounded good.  It was a pleasant evening but a little cool, so Justin grabbed a jacket before they went out the front door.  They walked around the driveway and Brian frowned at the row of porta potties.

They paused by the gate to the back yard.  Brian pointed to the opposite side of the driveway.

"John will be sixteen soon.  That will eventually mean another car.  Charlie showed me the garden storage shed and it really needs some work.  Some rodents got in there and made a mess.  Charlie patched the wall but that was just a stop gap.

There is plenty of room on the other side of the drive to build a two-car garage and attached garden shed.  Masonry walls and a concrete floor would eliminate rodents getting inside."

Justin sensed there was more to this story.  He smiled and agreed that an additional garage made sense.

Brian took Justin's hand.

"I feel bad for Granny.  Your aunt's behavior had to really hurt.  There would be room above the garage for a nice apartment.  I think she would feel secure here on the property with us.

We'll make it two bedrooms and two baths.  It could be future bachelor quarters or a newlywed first home for John or Peter.  If we put the living room at this end with a deck, there would be great views of the pond and the woods.  It could have an elevator and stairs to access the second floor."

Justin leaned against his partner, a huge sunshine smile on his face.

"Of course, we will tell Granny this is all my idea."

Brian chuckled.

"Of course.  You understand me so well Sunshine."

"I understand you almost as much as I love."

Brian didn't say anything but pulled Justin close to him and kissed the top of his head.

Justin sighed with contentment.

"Since I am sure this was the purpose of our walk; are we going back inside now?"

Brian chuckled again.

"If that is what you want to do Sunshine."

They went thru the gate, across the patio and back into the house.  The boys were having milk and cookies in the kitchen.  John looked over at them.

"That couldn't have been a very long walk."

Justin smiled at him.   "It's a little cool out for a long walk."

Brian told John he was in charge of locking up the house.  Brian and Justin went upstairs arm in arm.

The next morning Gus requested Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast.  Brian and John fed the babies while Justin prepared breakfast.  Peter, Jay and Gus set the table. Grandmom Jen and Granny made it inside in time for breakfast.

Granny laughed out loud at the concept of Mickey Mouse pancakes with guts and requested her pancakes be served that way.  Breakfast cleanup was under way when David Fuller arrived to pick up his son.  His fiancée, Kate, had picked him up at the airport. They both accepted coffee and some of Alice's homemade coffee cake before they left.

David thanked Brian and Justin for stepping up and taking care of Jay.  Jay gave hugs to Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin and thanked them for a really great time.  Justin invited the three of them to attend the 4th of July party and they happily accepted.

Alice and Charlie arrived shortly after the Fullers left.  They could tell by the look on Charlie's face that he had gotten a report on the cookies.  Brian suggested they leave the boys to cleanup and go into the Parlor to talk.

Jennifer held her mother's hand as they settled on a sofa.  Charlie let them all know, that just as they suspected, the cookies were laced with barbiturates.  Jennifer simply said "That bitch" which brought a grim chuckle from Granny.

Justin went and knelt in front of the two women.

"Granny I know this is a great shock to you but to be honest I never liked Aunt Kate.  Brian and I have talked about this and we think you need to stay close to family that loves you.

We feel like we will need more garage space and Charlie says we need to repair the garden shed or build a new one.  We are thinking if we build a combination garage and shed there would be space for a nice apartment on the second floor.  There would be a nice view of the woods and the pond.  We would include an elevator for easy access."

Jennifer had a big smile on her face.  Granny looked a little stunned.  She looked over at Brian, his no emotion face firmly in place.

"What do you think about that idea Brian?"

"Justin and I agree that it is a good idea."

Jennifer squeezed her mother's hand.  Granny nodded.

"Well it does seem like a good idea to me too.  I want final say on the layout and features of my new home, and I insist of contributing to the construction costs."

Brian just shrugged.  "Whatever."