Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

To Have & to Hold Forever

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first, but this story will make more sense if you do.

Brian and Justin are established partners raising five children together. 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 22

When Debbie got JR back to her house the first order of business was to get her hair brushed.  JR was delighted that her grandmother arranged her hair in plaits with rainbow pride ribbons.  Debbie decided that her granddaughter should spend some time with her father.  She called Michael at Kinnetik to find out what his lunch time was.  Debbie told Michael she would pick him up and they would take JR to Mickey D's for lunch

JR seemed really happy to have her grandmother's undivided attention.  They made a batch of the little girl's favorite peanut butter cookies followed by Grandmom reading her a story.  Michael had an early lunch so after the story it was time to pick up Daddy for lunch.  The three of them had a great time at lunch, JR enjoyed the play area under the watchful eye of her Daddy.

JR wanted to see where Daddy worked so Debbie parked and they went inside.  JR got to try out sitting at the reception desk.  She asked about seeing Uncle Bri and was disappointed that he wasn't in the office.  Cynthia happened to come downstairs from her office and made a big fuss over JR. 

Cynthia suggested Michael give JR a message pad, along with Kinnetik writing pads and pens.  That way she could play reception desk at home.  She told Michael she would watch the desk while he took JR up to the employee lounge so she could get a couple snacks.

While Michael took his daughter upstairs, Debbie thanked Cynthia for being so nice to JR.  Cynthia delighted Debbie by telling her that she hadn't really been sure about hiring Michael, but he was doing a good job.  When Michael and JR reappeared Cynthia asked Debbie to wait a minute.  She went back to a storage closet and returned with a Kinnetik canvas tote bag so JR could put all her loot inside.

Debbie and a happy little girl went back to Debbie house.  There was a slight temper tantrum when JR was told she had to wait a little while before she had cookies and milk, but it passed quickly.  One of Debbie's neighbors had a cat that had just had a litter of kittens.  Debbie took her granddaughter down to see the new kittens.  JR enjoyed watching the Mama cat grooming her kittens.   Sometimes the Mama cat held down a kitten who tried to avoid being groomed.  Grandmom told her granddaughter that was like having to hold onto JR when she got washed behind the ears.

When Carl got home, he played several games of fish while Debbie prepared dinner.  All in all from JR's perspective it was a perfect day.

After dinner Carl and Debbie drove JR home.   Melanie answered the door, JR immediately launched into a description of her day.  Mel laughed at the excitement in JR's voice.  She gave Debbie a quick hug and thanked her.  JR gave Carl & Debbie hugs and kisses and reminded Debbie she needed to pick her up again in two days.

Lindsay came out of the kitchen on time to say goodbye.  She was surprised to see the Kinnetik tote bag that JR was carrying.  She asked JR where she got it.  JR was delighted to relate her lunch with Daddy and Grandmom and Miss Cynthia giving her the bag when they got back to Uncle Bri's company.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Jennifer had an interesting day.  Both her brothers called her laughing.  They had both had outraged calls from Kate.  Their oldest sister had tried to convince them that their mother was losing her mental abilities and needed a guardian appointed.  Neither man had any desire to oppose their mother.   Their lifetime experience was with a strong-willed mother who dominated family life.  Their father and mother always presented a united front, but mother was the undisputed arbitrator of everyday life.

She also had multiple calls from Kate which she ignored.  Kate left numerous messages, mostly requests for return calls that Jennifer also ignored.  Justin let his mother know that at Granny's request, John had blocked Aunt Kate's number on her cell phone.  Jennifer was amused thinking of her sister's reaction to being blocked.

That evening Jennifer and Tucker were relaxing on their patio.  Tucker put some steaks & corn on the cob on the grill and Jennifer went inside to get a bottle of wine.  She left her phone on the patio table when she went inside.  The phone started to ring, and Tucker saw "Kate" come up on the display.  He connected the call.

"Hello Kate."

"Who is this?"

"It's Tucker.  We were relaxing on the patio, but Jen just went in the house for a minute."

"Well go get her.  I need to talk to my sister."

Tucker rolled his eyes.

"Kate, you seem a little slow figuring things out.  Jen has no interest in talking with you.  I picked up to tell you to stop calling.  It is pointless.  No one here is interested in talking to you.  Elizabeth had one of the grandsons block your number.  I'm sure she will get in touch with you when she is ready."

"This is a family matter!  It doesn't concern you.  Justin was rude to me earlier and now you are overstepping your position by telling me to stop calling my sister.  I must speak to her, just take this phone to her!"

"Nope.  You're behaving like an idiot.  Goodbye."

  Jennifer had come back outside for most of Tucker's conversation.  She smiled at Tucker

"You may have just given my sister a stroke.  She is not used to her requests being refused."

Tucker just shrugged before walking over to deliver a kiss to Jennifer's lips. 

"I think she needs some refusals and some hard truths."

That made Jennifer laugh as she poured them each a glass of wine.  Tucker went over to the grill to check on their steaks.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

After a pleasant day with family, including Granny, Justin was a little concerned about how Brian was coping.  They had just finished with 10PM bottles and were in their bed.  As usual Justin was cuddled against Brian's side.

"So Brian.  How are you doing with everything?"

Justin could feel the smirk, even if he couldn't actually see it.

"Sunshine, if someone ever told me, or you even hinted at it, that I would live in a house with my partner, and five children of various ages and relationships; I would have said that would NEVER happen.  Of course, that all happened before Granny arrived.  Granny staying here is so bizarre and unreal I don't think I would have understood that concept.

I will admit that sometimes I feel like I am living in the Twilight Zone.  Most of the time, if I don't think about everything, I feel really happy.  Sunshine, I hate to admit this, but you already know it is true, I love you so much that I can deal with anything as long as you are beside me.  I really fucking hate to ADMIT that but there's no way I could deny it."

Justin snuggled closer and tried his best not to cry.  He pinched his arm to be sure he wasn't dreaming.

"Lucky for you I love you just as much.  So Granny being here is okay?"

Brian chuckled.

"The old girl amuses me.  She is no bullshit, take no prisoners.  She is like Mother Taylor on steroids.  She can't live in the pool house forever."

"I know she can't stay forever.  She is already kind of screwing up the 4th of July party.  I am enjoying this time with her and Gus already loves her."

"Yeah I noticed Sonny Boy spending lots of time with her.  He apparently has a thing for older ladies."

Justin laughed.

"If I tell my mother that you referred to her as an older lady you are going to be in big trouble."

"Well she is older than Gus, there's no denying that fact."

Justin just shook his head.

"We need to go to sleep.  The babies will have us up again in about four hours."

Brian gave his favorite blond a quick kiss and both men settled down to sleep.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Nina and her Teddy Man had a "breakfast date" the next morning before he dropped her at Viola's for the day.  Nina was a little more used to Debbie and accepted her normal over the top greeting with a smile. 

Nina sat beside Ted and let him know what her plans were for the day with her Nana.  She also made sure that her Teddy Man was picking her up and taking her home when he was done working.  Nina loved spending time with her Nana, but she only wanted to sleep in her princess bed and have Teddy Man sit with her until she fell asleep. 

Blake was completely amused by Nina's control over Ted.  He often teased his partner about being in second place for Ted's love.  Ted always steadfastly assured Blake that he was number one.  Ted just hoped he would never have to choose between them.

Debbie was able to sit with them for a short time.  She enjoyed watching Ted interact with his daughter.  Their mutual love was obvious, and it resulted in a less tightly wound Ted than Debbie had ever seen before.

When they left Debbie gave Nina some lemon bars to take with her to Nana's.  She told Nina was looking forward to seeing her & Viola next week at the big 4th of July picnic at Brian & Justin's house.

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

Lily and Liam were kind to their Daddies and slept and almost 5 hours between their bottles.  Gus appeared in the Master Bedroom before his brother and sister were awake.  All three of them went over to the nursery to wish the twins good morning.

Gus talked to Liam and Lily as they got their diapers changed and clean outfits.  Gus and his Papa went ahead to get the bottles ready while Daddy got the babies settled in their bassinet for the trip down to the kitchen.

Justin took the bottles out of the refrigerator and gave them to Gus to microwave.  Then Justin started the coffee maker and poured Gus a glass of milk.  Gus gave Papa the bottles to check the temperature while Daddy settled the bassinet in its frame.  Lily and Liam loudly announced they were ready for their breakfast.

Gus asked if he could feed one of the babies.  Papa said he could feed Lily; Daddy would feed Liam and he would start breakfast.  Everyone agreed that was a good plan.  Gus got into position on the couch and Papa brought Lily over with a bottle.  Meanwhile Daddy settled at the other end of the couch with Sunbeam.

Justin fixed a mug of coffee for Brian and put it on the table beside him.  He drank his own cup of coffee while he prepared the batter for pancakes.  He texted Granny to let her know there would be pancakes for breakfast in about 20 minutes.  Since this was a soccer practice day for John and a class day for Peter, he knew they would appear in time for pancakes.

Gus kept up a conversation with Lily who watched him wide eyed.  Daddy told Sunbeam that he was adorable just like his Papa.  That comment gave Gus the giggles and made Justin groan. 

Papa was burping Lily while Gus drank his milk when Granny came thru the door from the patio.  She went over to Gus and got a hug and kiss.

"Thank you, my darling boy.  What a wonderful way to start my day."

Granny came over and gave Justin a kiss on the cheek.  Gus came running over to finish giving Lily her bottle.  Granny walked over to Brian who still trying to get a good burp out of his youngest son.  He attempted to shield himself by keeping Liam between him and Granny.  She shook her head and laughed.

"Brian, you silly man, I am going to kiss you on the cheek.  Just accept it."

Brian gave a dramatic deep breath as he turned and bent slightly to get his kiss from Granny.

"I do love you, silly man, but you will have to adjust to me.  I am too old and much too set in my ways to adapt to you."

John and Peter happened to emerge from the back stairs during the Brian-Granny moment and burst out laughing.  Granny smiled as she came over to deliver their good morning kisses.  John offered to make Granny her morning tea.  After giving Papa a good morning hug, Peter got to work setting the kitchen table for breakfast.

Gus claimed the seat on one side of Granny and Justin sat on her other side.  Brian sat on the other side of Justin, trusting his partner to protect him from Granny.  Alice and Charlie had arrived when the pancakes were being served and they took charge of Liam and Lily.

Fourth of July was next week and today porta potties were being delivered and set up on the edge of the driveway.  Since Granny was staying in the pool house, those bathrooms weren't available for guests to use.  Brian was a little horrified by the idea of porta potties and had already arranged for the driveway to be steam cleaned the day the porta potties were picked up.

By the time breakfast cleanup was done Cassie and her daughters arrived.  Justin and Brian went upstairs where they enjoyed some adult fun in the shower before getting dressed.  Gus played in his room until Papa and Daddy emerged from the Master suite.

Brian went to the study to work.  Justin and Gus went to the family room.  Gus played with his Legos while Justin checked his messages.  Gus was going to O'Brien's for a playdate with Kevin and Justin was going to deliver Peter to the community college and John & Patrick to soccer practice.  Granny announced that she would like to go along for the ride.

Justin was also going to check out a day camp in the city of Washington for Gus.  He and Brian wanted Gus to make some new friends closer to their house.

First stop was to drop Peter at the Washington & Jefferson College.  He was a little early for class but would happily spend time in the library until his class started.  Next was the O'Brien home.  Justin spotted Kevin watching for them from the living room window.  He parked in the driveway and Kevin ran down the walk from the front door.  He and Gus shouted hellos and hugged.

A laughing John got out of the car, opened the door for Granny and offered an arm to help her get out of the car.  Gus introduced Kevin to Granny.  The boys had discussed the amazing fact that Grandmom Jen had a mommy.

Granny smiled at Kevin.

"Hello Kevin.  I am so happy to meet you.  I know you and Gus are good buddies and Grandmom Jen has told me how much she loves you and enjoys spending time with you.  She had lots of fun visiting your school."

Kevin smile went ear to ear.  Gus had told him that Granny was awesome and now he believed it.  He was thrilled that Grandmom Jen had talked about visiting his school.

Roxanne joined the group in the driveway as Kevin gave Granny a hug around her knees and she gently patted his head.

Kevin turned to his mother.

"Mommy!  Come meet Granny.  She is Grandmom Jen's mommy!"

Roxanne shook Granny's extended hand. 

"It's very nice to meet you.  Please excuse Kevin he has been very excited to meet you.  I think he is still trying to wrap his head around the fact the Jennifer has a mother.  He adores her!"

"Jennifer has told me about Kevin and how much he means to her.  She describes him as "all love".  I see what she means.  He is a delight."

Roxanne thought to herself "yes this is definitely Jennifer's Mother" as she smiled and thanked Granny.  Patrick emerged with his soccer gear and everyone climbed back in Justin's SUV.  Final drop off was at the community soccer field.  Granny told the boys she looked forward to attending one of their games.

Justin started towards the day camp.  Granny gently touched his arm.

"Justin, my wonderful boy.  I can't adequately express what a thrill it is for me to see you all grown up.  You are a parent to all these children, and it is obvious to see how they love you and trust you.  I can sense the connection you and Brian have; how much love there is on both sides.  It makes me so very happy.

I loved you from the first time I saw you.  It was always such a delight for your Grandfather and me to spend time with you.  To see you all grown up and so happy is a dream come true for me.  I am so looking forward to spending time with you and your family."

Justin blinked back tears.

"Granny, you have to stop, or we'll have an accident.  I love having you here.  I didn't realize how much I missed you."

Justin parked at the day camp and he and Granny got out of the car.  He was a little disappointed that there didn't seem to be any lawn area for outside play.  Inside the children all had blue T shirts, which was OK, but they all wore navy shorts and white sneakers.  Justin thought it seemed a little too structured for a summer camp.

Justin had made an appointment with the assistant director Marian.  He let the receptionist know about his appointment and she led Justin and Granny to a small conference room.  They both declined the offer of refreshments.

Marian came into the room a couple minutes later.  "Mr Taylor?"

"Yes.  I'm Justin Taylor and this is my grandmother, Mrs Endicott."

Marian smiled at them both and glanced down at a clipboard in her hand.

"You wanted to discuss your son, Gus, attending our day camp.  Is Gus short for something?"

Justin smiled.  "No, he is just plain Gus."

Marian looked a little unhappy.  "We discourage the use of nicknames here."

Granny looked Marian in the eyes.  "Why?"

Marian seemed surprised by the question.  "We like to keep a professional atmosphere."

Granny's eyes opened wide.    "You want to be "professional" with children at a summer camp?"

Marian nodded and turned her attention to Justin.

"My information says that your son is eight.  What school did he attend last year?"

"Gus went to Fort Pitt school last year."

"That is quite a distance away."

Justin smiled.

"Gus lived with his mothers in Pittsburgh last year.  He recently came to live with my partner and me.  He will go to the Washington Academy in the fall."

Marian made a note on her clipboard and Granny looked at Justin and shook her head.

"Is you son registered for the Academy?"

"Not yet but my partner's nephews also live with us and they went there this past year."

Marian suddenly seemed more interested.

"The Dean of Admission for the Academy serves on our board and is also an academic advisor for us.  Have you had the opportunity to meet Mr Dennison?"

"Yes.  Both Brian, my partner and I have met Ed a few times.  I am a little surprised that you need an academic advisor for a summer day camp."

Marian had the bit between her teeth now with a broad smile on her face.

"We strive not to just be babysitters.  We want to give our students a step up in their schoolwork.  You may recognize the name of one of our former attendees, Jay Fuller.  He has been the top student for his class at the Academy since he started there."

"Jay is in the same class as one of my nephews.  I met him at the awards ceremony.  In fact, my nephew was the top student in his class this year.  Jay was second highest.

I think Ed Dennison is a ridiculously pompous man.  I am looking for a day camp that will give Gus to interact with other children and have some fun.  I don't think we are a good match.  Have a nice day."

Granny was already out of her chair and heading to the door.  Once they were in the car Justin and Granny sat and laughed.  Justin announced he didn't think this was a worthwhile visit and that started them laughing again.

Justin gave Granny a quick car tour of the city of Washington.  One of the historic houses in town was a stop on the underground railroad.  Justin had included a sketch of that house in his PPG lobby murals.  Granny told Justin she wanted to go see those murals.

Justin stopped at a Starbucks where they enjoyed their coffee and talked.  They remembered Justin's Grandad who they both still missed and Aunt Kate who disappointed Granny but who Justin never liked.  They even discussed Brian who Justin thought was the MOST wonderful person in the world and who Granny admired.  They talked and laughed until Justin realized they were running late to pick up Peter.

Justin quickly texted Peter that they were on their way but running late.  He told Peter to stay inside the building until he arrived.   A short time later Peter texted back that he and Jay Fuller were both waiting for their rides and were in the library.  Justin handed his phone to Granny to read the text while he drove.

Justin chuckled.

"Wow.  From what I know about Andrea Fuller it is pretty unusual for her to late picking up Jay."

He told Granny about Andrea and Jennifer's confrontation at the awards ceremony.  Granny laughed.

"That's my girl!"

Justin pulled up outside the library building at Washington & Jefferson.  Peter waved and hurried outside with a somewhat reluctant Jay.

Peter came over to the car and opened the back door.

"Papa, Jay's Mom still hasn't come.  She hasn't answered her phone or replied to texts from Jay's phone and mine.  Jay says she has never been late before."

Justin silently thought "I can believe that".

Peter turned to Jay.

"You remember my Papa from the awards thing at school.  This is Granny.  You met Grandmom Jen and this is her mother.  She came to visit us from California."

Granny smiled and said she was happy to meet Jay.

Justin told the boys to get in the car.

"We're in the way of traffic stopped here.  I'll park down the street and we'll try Jay's Mom again."

When Andrea still didn't answer, Justin suggested Jay try his father.  Jay said that his Dad was out of town on business and he didn't want to worry him by calling.

Justin asked if there was any other family member they could call.  Jay said that his Mom wasn't really friendly with any family members.  She didn't like anyone trying to interfere in her life.  Justin wasn't surprised by that news.

Peter offered his idea of a solution.

"Papa can't Jay come home with us.  He can text his Mom to let her know."

"Well we can't leave him here all alone, so it makes sense for him to come home with us.  Jay text your Mom with our address and the house phone number.  She has my cell number from my text."

Peter supplied Jay with the info and Justin started for home.  Somehow, he didn't think Andrea Fuller would really approve of this "solution".

Jay was quiet on the ride home but Peter kept up a conversation.  Granny looked over with a smile, Justin just shrugged.  Justin pulled up by the front door and they all got out.  As they walked thru the family room Brian, who was sitting on the couch feeding Lily, looked at them wide eyed.

Peter asked Jay if he wanted to go swimming and when Jay agreed they went up to Peter's room to get changed. Lily was done with her bottle, so Brian put her in the bassinet.  Liam was still working on his bottle while Cassie held him at the other end of the couch.  Once Lily was settled Brian came over to Justin.

"Sunshine, why did you bring home an extra child?  Don't we have enough of our own already?"

Granny laughed and announced she was going out to her room.  Justin shrugged.

"That is Jay Fuller, his mother is the woman who annoyed Mom at the awards assembly.  She failed to pick him up after class and hasn't answered phone calls or texts.  His father is out of town on business."

Brian frowned.

"That's tough, no neighbors, aunts, uncles or anyone at all instead of us?"

Justin shook his head.

"I did try but his Mom is such a charmer there are no close friends or relatives.  I'm sure we'll hear from his mother soon."

"Doubtful.  That doesn't seem to be the way things are going for us.  I guess six is a nice even number.  Maybe Mother Taylor wants to take him in?"

Justin came over and kissed his partner.

"Behave yourself.  The poor kid is upset.  He hardly spoke a word on the way home."

Brian smirked.   "I have to check my emails.  Let me know if our census goes up."

A quick kiss for Justin and Brian headed for the study.  Alice was chuckling in the kitchen.  Justin ignored her and went out to move his car to the garage.

When Justin came thru the garage door the house phone was ringing.  He answered and immediately smirked at Alice.

"Hello Mrs Fuller.  I'm so relieved to hear from you.  We have been concerned."

"Actually, we have met.  It was at the Washington Academy awards ceremony.  I'm Peter Kinney's Uncle. My mother and I were with our mutual friend, Mary Gardner."

Justin pressed the speaker function.

"I hope you don't mind, I just put you on speaker.  I have something on the stove."

"Yes I do remember meeting you.  I was in a minor car accident and they are going to keep me overnight for observation.  I am trying to make arrangements to have Jay stay here with me.  His father happens to be out of town on business."

Justin rolled his eyes at Alice.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.  I hope everything will be alright.  I don't think Jay spending the night at a hospital is a good solution.  We can keep him here with us.  Peter has twin beds in his room, so it really won't be any trouble."

"I am aware of your lifestyle Mr Taylor.  I remember the news about the kidnapping attempt.  I am going to be blunt and just say I would not be comfortable to have my young son stay in your house."

Alice started over to the phone, but Justin held his hand up.

"Mrs Fuller my partner and I are homosexuals; we are not pedophiles.  I will be blunt and say it is ignorant of you to infer the terms are synonymous.

We have permanent custody of Peter and his brother.  We were investigated when we took custody of the boys and again when we got permanent custody.  We also have custody of our eight-year-old son and have newborn twins.  I can assure you there is nothing going on here that would endanger Jay."

Alice ignored the hand signal and walked over.

"Hello Andrea.  This is Alice Simpson.  I know who you are.  I knew your parents for years before they moved to Florida.  I am the housekeeper for Justin and Brian and Charlie is the caretaker for the property. 

Justin and Brian are two of the finest men we have ever known.  I am disappointed and disgusted by your accusations.  Justin was nice enough to not leave your son alone at the college.  He brought him here so he WAS SAFE.  Jay and Peter are in the pool right now, I can see them from the kitchen window.

It is an absurd idea for Jay to spend the night at the hospital.  I can only suppose you hit your head in the accident and aren't thinking clearly."

"Mrs Simpson, I had no idea you worked for Mr Taylor.  I am only concerned about my son's safety.  I don't think you have the right to attack me."

Justin put his hand on Alice's arm to try and calm her, but she threw the hand off.

"Honey you are an idiot.  I have a good mind to call family services and tell them you left your son alone at the college.  You have no backup to take care of him and want him to spend a night in a hospital, full of strangers.  I suspect you have no backup because you are such a difficult person.

So, you just settle yourself down.  Jay is staying here until you are released, or his father gets back in town.

Justin will take the phone outside so you can talk to your son.  I hope you feel better soon, for Jay's sake!"

Alice pushed the speaker button and handed the phone to Justin.  Justin went out on the patio and called Jay over to talk to his mother.  Jay walked a few steps away.  He looked over at Justin a couple times while assuring his mother of something.

"Mom they live in a mansion.  Peter and his brother have their own bedrooms that share a bath.  Peter and I are close to the same size so I can wear his clothes.

Yes.  I will be careful.  I hope you feel better.  Goodbye."

Jay handed the phone to Justin.

"Thanks for letting me stay here Mr Taylor."

Justin smiled.      "No problem."

When Justin got back in the house Alice was still fuming.

"I didn't recognize the name Andrea Fuller.  Her maiden name was Geary.  I recognized her voice.  She always was kind of a bitch.  Her parents are nice people.  If you want my opinion, they moved to Florida to get away from her.

The nerve of that woman to accuse you and Brian of being potential child molesters."

Justin went over and gave Alice a hug.

"You need to develop a thicker skin where Brian and I are concerned.  This is reality, it isn't always fair or pretty, but it is reality."

"No Justin!  I refuse to develop a thicker skin.  I want to be outraged and I want ignorant people to know I am outraged."

Cassie walked into the family room with the bassinet.  She looked over at Alice who related Andrea's phone call.  Cassie said she remembered her from school and rolled her eyes.  Roxanne now arrived with Patrick, John, Gus & Kevin.  The noise their arrival generated had Brian coming down from the study.

Liam and Lily got stirred up from all the noise and Justin and Cassie each picked up a baby to sooth them.  Gus grabbed Kevin's hand and came over to sing to his baby brother and sister.  Brian asked what time the circus people were coming to put up tent over the house.

Justin was laughing.

"Face it Mr Kinney, this is your life now!"

Brian just raised his eyes heavenward.  Everyone laughed even Gus & Kevin who had no idea what was funny.  Gus told his friend that "sometimes my Daddy is silly."

Brian took Liam from Cassie so she could leave.  Justin told Roxanne about Jay and his mother's call.  He soft pedaled what Andrea said but Alice embellished his story.  Roxanne, Patrick and John were outraged which had Justin smiling.

Brian spotted Peter and Jay heading toward the patio doors and called an end to phone discussions.  Jay was a little startled to see everyone in the family room.   Jay knew John and Patrick from school.  Gus and Kevin came over to meet Jay.  Gus took Jay's hand and took him over to show him Liam and Lily.  Jay did not have any experience with babies, so he was amazed by how tiny Lily and Liam were.

Gus made it clear that they were his baby brother and sister.  Kevin let Jay know that the babies were his cousins and that he had fed them their bottles. Kevin told Jay that sometimes he stayed here with Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin and Jay would have a good time because it was always fun at this house.

Both Brian and Justin thanked Kevin for his endorsement.  They both got the standard Kevin knee hug and told that he really loved them a lot.  Even Brian couldn't maintain his no emotion face.  He leaned down and gave Kevin a kiss on the top of his head.

Roxanne told Patrick and Kevin it was time for them to go home.  The O'Briens departed.   John and Gus expressed a desire to go in the pool, so they went upstairs to change.  John asked to talk to his brother for a minute.  They stepped into the dining room for a couple minutes.  Peter and Jay went back outside.

Peter turned to the other boy.

"You mother is a homophobe.  I hope you don't agree with her.  Papa and Uncle Brian have been awesome to John and me. There is no one in the world that I love more than them.  They are wonderful people who have lots of friends, unlike you mother who apparently has no friends."

One part of Jay wanted to defend his mother but the larger part knew she was wrong about the way she felt.

"I rarely agree with my Mother.  I love her but she is always angry about something."

Peter nodded and they jumped into the pool.

The entire family spent the rest of the afternoon outside.  Granny settled in a chair with a big glass of iced tea.  She enjoyed watching all the activity.  For a while Brian and John kicked around a soccer ball.  Justin spent some time in the pool with Gus.  Brian and John joined everyone in the pool.  Eventually Brian and Justin got out of the pool.

Brian sat on a lounger and Justin settled in front of him.  They talked and laughed with Granny while watching the pool antics.  Gus got out of the pool for a while and spent some time with Liam and Lily on their cushion under the awning.  Gus was tired from his playdate and time in the pool.  After the babies fell asleep, Gus climbed on the lounger with his fathers.  He leaned back against Papa smiled and listened to the conversation with Granny before he fell asleep.

Granny looked over sat the threesome.

"Good thing you have high quality patio furniture.  Otherwise you three might wind up on the ground."

Brian laughed.

"Granny that is why you and I like the best of everything."

Granny and Brian laughed while Justin just rolled his eyes.

Gus stirred when Alice announced dinner would be ready soon.  Justin announced they would eat on the patio.  John & Peter got out of the pool and said they would set the table.  They asked Granny if it was OK if they got the outside dishes and silverware out of the pool house.  She laughingly agreed.

Jay got out of the pool and he and Gus hurried over to help set the table.  Jay was enjoying himself.  The pool was amazing, everyone seemed happy and no one was complaining about anything.  He was forced to admit that his mother always seemed to find something to complain about.

Jay also helped bring dinner outside.  When he picked up a dish with pickled cucumbers and onions, John told him to put that down near Uncle Brian since it was one of his favorites.  He was amazed by the quantity and variety of food.  There was roast beef & mashed potatoes, a large garden salad, peas, carrots, mac & cheese, sweet potato casserole, sliced tomatoes and a mushroom in broth dish.

Dinner was also a new experience for Jay.  Everyone chatted and laughed, John and Peter mildly teased Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor.  Gus assumed that eating outside meant he could be as sloppy as he wanted.  Jay was amused to see Mr Kinney looking horrified and Mr Taylor being amused.

Brian surprised everyone when Jay called him, "Mr Kinney"; Brian told Jay to call him "Uncle Brian" and to call Justin "Uncle Justin".  He assured Jay that is what everyone called them.

John got a dirty look from his brother when he said.  "Not everyone, Peter doesn't".  Granny smiling told John to "Behave yourself" and everyone, even Peter, laughed.  This was all a new experience for Jay.  There was not a lot of laughing at his house.  His mother took everything so seriously.

After dinner cleanup, which Jay assisted with.  Dessert was Alice's homemade cookies and some peach ice cream made from some early peaches off their trees.  Jay was sure he never tasted anything as delicious as this dessert.

After dessert Lily and Liam announced they were hungry.  Brian and Justin quickly changed their diapers.  Peter got bottles from the kitchen while John and Gus settled into chairs to feed the babies.  Jay was fascinated to watch the babies eat.  He was amused by the one side conversation John and Gus had Liam and Lily as they fed them.