Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 2

 

Jennifer called Justin to let him know that Brad didn't want any of them to attend the funeral.  As she expected Justin said he hadn't even been sure he was going to the funeral.  He was as surprised & shocked as Jennifer that Craig has committed suicide.

 

Justin told his mother that he thought it was better if he called and talked to Molly about how Craig had died and that Brad had asked they not attend the funeral.  She agreed.  They both felt that Molly might want to come and spend the weekend with Brian & Justin.  It would give her a chance to talk about Craig and deal with his sudden death.

 

Molly was at lunch with some friends when she saw Justin's number come up on here phone.  She stepped outside as she took the call.

 

"Hello, Brother mine.  What's up?"

 

"Hey Moll.  I need to talk with you about a couple things.  Is this a good time or do you want to call me back?"

 

Molly waved to her friends before sitting on a bench outside the restaurant.

 

"This is good.  Did you want to talk about the funeral?  I understand if you aren't going to go."

 

"The funeral is one topic I need to discuss.  I just talked to Mom; Uncle Brad called her and asked that we not come to the funeral.  He thinks it would upset his parents.

 

That kind of leads to the other thing I have to tell you.  Brad told Mom that Craig killed himself."

 

Molly gasped and it took her a couple minutes to reply.  Justin kept calling her name.

 

"I'm okay Justin.  That was a shock.  I talked to Dad last week and we made plans to get together when I come home from school.  He sounded fine.  Why would he make plans with me if he was planning to kill himself?  Is Uncle Brad sure about what happened?"

 

"Mom said he sounded sure.  The reason Brad doesn't want any of us at the funeral is because he says we are responsible for Craig killing himself.  Brad says we abandoned Craig.  He thinks his parents will be upset if we attend the funeral."

 

Molly gave a grim chuckle.

 

"That is a unique view of the situation.  I had a better relationship with Dad then you but he was never in contention for any father of the year awards.  After the divorce I always felt like he viewed our time together as more an obligation than a pleasure.

 

I am NOT going to let Brad Taylor keep me away from my father's funeral.  Dad never had a positive thing to say about Brad.  I already talked to Mark and he is going to come home with me and go to the funeral.  The grandparents made absolutely no effort to stay in touch after the divorce so they will just have to deal with me attending the funeral.

 

I'm not going to make a scene. I am just going to sit in the back of church but I will attend.  I dare Brad to say anything to me."

 

Justin listened with a smile.  Molly sounded just like their mother on a rant but he knew better than to say that to his sister.

 

"Well Mollusk if you are determined to go I'll go with you.  That will be a big fuck you to Brad Taylor."

 

Molly laughed.

 

"And not in a positive life affirming way.  By the way, Mark and I are staying at your house.  Maybe you can do that twin beds in king size for us up on the third floor."

 

"Of course Princess Molly.  Is there anything else you require for your visit?"

 

"I'll let you know if I think of anything.  Bye, Bye Brother Dear."

 

Justin smiled and shook his head.  He called Jennifer to let her know that he & Molly were ignoring Brad's request and going to Craig funeral.  She was delighted.

 

Once Justin was done with his calls he went down to the kitchen.  Alice was just finishing up packing up some boxes of food.  Eden had gotten very large with the twins and was taking it as easy as possible.  Alice had taken over preparing food for Eden, Chaz & their children.

 

Every three days Alice packed up the meals and Justin or Brian delivered them.  Everyone was anxious to postpone the birth of the twins as long as possible.  It was unlikely Eden would make her due date of June 10th but the closer she got the better it would be for the twins.  Justin knew the more premature the birth was the more chance there was that the twins would have to spend extra time at the hospital. 

 

Alice insisted on helping Justin load up his SUV and he was off for his delivery.

 

When Justin arrived at Eden's house he was appalled to find her vacuuming.  He insisted she sit down and relax.  Once he got the food in from the car and stored in the refrigerator and cabinets, he finished the vacuuming.  He sat for a while with Eden and told her that Craig had died.  Molly had met Eden and her family so Justin talked about their plans to attend the funeral.

 

Eden said she understood Justin's broken relationship with Craig but she was still sorry he had died.  She also said she was worried that her family would never adjust back to her meals after eating all the delicious food that Alice supplied them with.

 

After a hug and a kiss goodbye Justin was on his way back home.  He spent some time in the studio before leaving to pick up the boys at school.

 

He smiled as Peter tried out his "Hello Papa" which caused John to smirk at Justin.  Josh had obviously been told about Justin's title change since he had no reaction to it.  He did tell "Uncle Justin" that he was sorry about his father dying.

 

At home there was quite a bit "Papa" and eye rolling from John.  Justin felt like things would even out given some time.  He did pull John aside and ask him to be a little more patient with his brother.  John groaned but agreed to lighten up.

 

At Kinnetik Brian was doing his best to make sure everything was running smoothly.  Although it was against his nature, he was trying to delegate as much business as possible to the account executives.  He also had a couple of quick business trips planned in the next couple weeks.  Brian was doing everything possible to prepare for being home with the new babies when they arrived.

 

Brian & Cynthia were meeting about some building refresh issues.  Once they had a list of what projects they wanted to tackle Cynthia would meet with Jennifer and get some estimates on the work.  As they wrapped up Brian had one more question for Cynthia.

 

"I can hardly believe I am going to open this subject but it seems to me that Mikey is working out okay at the reception desk.  I haven't heard many complaints from you but I'm not sure if that means you are happy or just resigned to dealing with him."

 

Cynthia chuckled.

 

"Actually he is working out much better than I expected.  It was a little rough in the beginning but with some strong encouragement from me things improved.  I have almost completely forgiven you for hiring him behind my back."

 

Brian laughed as Cynthia gathered her papers and left his office.

 

When Brian got home Alice let him know that Justin was in the nursery.  There had been some new deliveries of baby supplies.

 

Brian changed into his at home clothes before crossing the hall.  Justin was sitting and rocking in his custom made rocking chair.  Brian thought he looked like his mind was a million miles away but Justin turned towards the door where Brian stood & smiled.

 

"Welcome home.  I didn't realize it was so late.  I have just been sitting here and trying to imagine what it will be like when two babies are laying in these cribs."

 

Brian walked over and delivered a kiss to those irresistible pink lips.

 

"Well Sunshine I think it will probably be noisy a lot of the time and stinky part of the time but we will both be awed and thrilled by everything those babies do."

 

Justin stood up into Brian's waiting arms, his smiled even larger than before.

 

"I love you very much Mr Kinney!"

 

Brian held his favorite blond tight against him.

 

"That feeling is mutual Mr Taylor."

 

Justin pulled back to look Brian in the face.

 

"On the Taylor topic, I checked out Craig's obit online.  The funeral is Saturday.  Molly and Mark will be staying here Friday and Saturday night.   Molly really wants to attend the funeral in spite of what Brad had to say.  I told her I would go with her."

 

Brian smiled.

 

"I suspect that Brad's request to not attend probably made Molly all the more determined to go to the funeral.  You Taylors' are a stubborn group."

 

Justin chuckled.

 

"Lucky for you!  If I wasn't so stubborn you wouldn't have this amazing life."

 

Brian smirked.

 

"Hmmmm?  Amazing?"

 

Justin nodded his head.

 

"You so adore me!"

 

Both men were laughing as they started downstairs.

 

There were a lot of "Papas" at dinner which had Brian raising his eyebrows & rolling his eyes.  Justin worried about Peter getting his feelings hurt but decided to tackle the issue later with Brian.

 

Peter had a smile on his face as he looked across the table at his uncle.

 

"You better be careful Uncle Brian.  If you keep making those faces I may have to start calling you Daddy!"

 

The horrified look on Brian's face had Justin and John almost fall off their chairs laughing.  Peter's comment did successfully stop Brian from making any more faces.

 

The weather was warm on Friday; Brian & Justin were relaxing on the patio when Molly & Mark arrived from State College.  Brian retrieved two more wine glasses and the four of them relaxed and talked about attending the funeral the next day. 

 

John & Peter wandered out to say hello.  John offered to make the new arrivals chicken sandwiches from their dinner leftovers.  Molly & Mark were impressed by the deluxe sandwiches and the garden salad the boys put together for them.

 

Molly & Mark had been pre-warned about Justin's new status for Peter.  Once the boys went inside Molly smiled at her brother.

 

Peter is so cute calling you Papa.  You can see the happiness in his face every time he says it."

 

Brian shook his head.

 

"Personally I hope the novelty wears off quickly.  I am about Papaed out."

 

Justin just raised his eyes heavenward and Molly chuckled.

 

"What does Gus have to say about his cousin calling you Papa?  He has been the only one to call you that."

 

Justin sighed.

 

"Gus's reaction remains to be seen.  It might be a good way to get him used to the twins calling me Papa."

 

Brian was not convinced.

 

"Dream on Sunshine.  Sonny Boy is NOT going to like Peter calling you Papa."

 

Justin frowned at his partner.

 

"You are always such a pessimist.  I'm sure Gus will want to talk about the change but it will be fine."

 

Brian just shrugged.  "Time will tell."

 

Mark changed the subject to their funeral attendance.  Molly was happy that Brian was going with them.  Justin shook his head when Brian said he would do his best not to clap.  Mark looked truly shocked and Molly giggled because the comment was just so Brian.

 

Justin thought this was the right time to let Molly know about Craig's financial irregularities. 

 

"Molly you know about the loan Brian & I gave Craig.  His accountant let Ted know that Craig has been taking lots of money out of the company.  It is not a big deal at all that our loan might not be repaid but it could be that the company can't make payroll.  Next Friday is the normal payday.

 

Also there is apparently a new lady friend who has expensive tastes.  Rumor has it that she is pregnant."

 

Molly looked confused.

 

"Pregnant?  I don't see how that is possible.  Dad had a vasectomy a few years ago."

 

Now Justin looked confused.

 

"Craig told you that?  How did that topic even come up?"

 

Molly laughed.

 

"Justin you can be such a prude when the sex talk doesn't involve you and Brian.  Dad was talking about me being careful not to get pregnant.  It was one of our more responsible conversations and I told him that he should be careful not to get someone pregnant.

 

He told me that couldn't happen because he had a vasectomy.  Dad said he had all the follow up tests so he didn't have to worry about unplanned pregnancies.  So not sure how the new girlfriend could be preggers."

 

Everyone decided they should just go to bed since they couldn't solve this mystery tonight.

 

The next morning Justin was amused by Brian's funeral wear choice.  He was going to wear what Justin always called his Pistachio ice cream suit.  Even though Brian's usual suit choices ran to dark colors he was determined not to wear anything that would suggest mourning to Craig's funeral.  He thought this pale green, light weight, summer suit was perfect for the occasion.

 

Justin chose a "country club" drees code with a navy blazer and gray slacks.  Molly brought a navy dress with a gray pattern.  Mark brought his one & only suit which was dark gray.

 

John & Peter smiled at Uncle Brian's funeral attire.  They understood the message he was delivering.

 

Craig's funeral was at the church where both Justin & Molly had been christened and confirmed.  Justin had not been here since before his parents' divorce.  Molly & Jennifer remained semi regular attendees at Sunday services.

 

This morning the four of them waited by a sheltered side entrance to the church.  They had a good view of the attendees going in the main entrance.  Right on schedule the hearse and limousine arrived.  Brad and his parents got out of the limo along with a very young blonde woman who wore a dress that accentuated her slight baby bump.  Justin looked at Brian and rolled his eyes.

 

Once everyone had gone into the church the four of them slipped into the side entrance and sat at the back of the church.  A few people heard them come on and turned to see the late arrivals and recognized Justin & Molly.  Brian was amused to watch word spread that Craig's children were sitting in the back of the church.

 

Brad gave a eulogy for his brother that had Justin & Molly shaking their heads trying to figure out who Brad was talking about.  The kind, generous, giving person Brad described did not fit their vision of their father.

 

When Brad was done, the minister asked if anyone else would like to speak.  The young blonde woman turned out to be Craig's girlfriend, Allison.  She told a fairy tale like story of their relationship and how she would never get over Craig.  She finished up with saying how she would tell her unborn child what an amazing man their father was.  She left the pulpit in a flood of tears.

 

Molly stood up.  Justin looked up at her.  "I've had enough!  I am going to have my say."

 

Molly marched up the aisle.  Brad appeared to almost get out of his seat but the look he got from his niece had him sitting back down.  His parents were shocked to see Molly and whispered together.

 

Molly walked up to the pulpit and looked around the church.

 

"For those of you who may not know me, I am Molly Taylor.  My mother assures me that Craig Taylor was my father.  I was very young when my parents divorced and I do not have a lot of memories of my father living in the same house as my mother and me.  Craig was always front and center at special events like birthdays and holidays but everyday life, dinner with the family or telling bedtime stories was not really his style.

 

Whatever time my father spent at home he was normally focused on my older brother.  Although we still often squabble, I have always adored my brother.  So while I was somewhat jealous of Justin's favored child status I understood it.  Justin was and is an awesome person.

 

So it was shocking to me when my father disowned that favored child.  He told Justin that he was no longer his son because Justin refused to follow my father's plan for his life.  After my parents' divorce I was supposed to spend every other weekend with my father.  That NEVER happened.  The best my father could do was to spend part of a day with me.  I was always afraid that if he could cast aside my brother so easily my position in my father's life was not secure.

 

There are probably thousands of books that talk about father and daughter relationships and how a daughter can have lifelong self-esteem issues resulting from bad relationships with their fathers.  I am forever grateful to my amazing mother, my awesome brother, Justin, and his wonderful partner, Brian for always making me feel safe, loved & special.

 

When I made plans to go to college my father told me that he could not afford to pay my tuition.  He alluded to the fact that he had hoped I would get more scholarship money.  When I talked about getting financial aid and asked for the required financial information, my father never provided it.  Luckily my awesome brother and his wonderful partner insisted upon paying my tuition. 

 

I loved my father and last week we talked on the phone and made plans to get together when I came back from college for the summer.  His death was a shock and something I am still struggling to understand.  But I have to honestly say that I did not recognize my father in the man that Brad and Allison talked about.  I felt it was important to tell my story."

 

Molly walked quickly down the aisle and out of the church.  Justin, Brian & Mark followed her outside.

 

Molly threw herself into Justin's arms, tears streaming down her face.

 

"I just couldn't let what Brad and that woman said be the final words.  I didn't plan on doing that but I just felt I had to say something."

 

Justin hugged his sister tight.

 

"You were great!  I am really proud of you."

 

Brian came over and put his arm around Justin's shoulders.

 

"You did great little Sis.  I'm proud of you too."

 

Molly looked up at Brian and smiled.  At that moment a red face Brad Taylor burst out the church doors.

 

"How dare you!  I asked that you not come and instead you make a circus out of my brother's funeral."

 

Brian took several steps toward the church.

 

"Listen Asshole, no one here is interested in what you have to say.  You might be able to get other people believe that Craig Taylor was some kind of saint.  We all know better.  Go back inside."

 

Brad looked like he had more to say but both Brian & Mark moved towards him and he quickly went back inside.

 

Brian turned back to the Taylor siblings.  

 

"Well as much as I've enjoyed the funeral, I think we should probably head back home."

 

Justin shook his head but smiled and Molly laughed out loud.  Mark put his arm around Molly waist and she leaned into him.

 

They were almost home when Justin's cell phones rang.  He glanced at the display before connecting.

 

"Hi Mom."

 

Jennifer let Justin know that she has already calls, texts & emails from funeral attendees.  All of them positive about Molly's speech.

 

Justin chuckled and told his mother that she would have been as proud of Molly as he & Brian were.   He told her that she should come out to the house and stay for dinner.  He laughed out loud when Jennifer informed him that she & Tucker were on their way.

 

When they arrived home they found John & Peter enjoying the warm spring weather on the patio.  Justin enlisted John's help in deciding what they should fix for dinner.  They looked through the fully stocked pantry freezers.  They decided on beef stroganoff & checked to be sure there were plenty of salad fixings.

 

With the pans of stroganoff put out on the kitchen counter to defrost before going into the oven Justin went upstairs to change his clothes.  Brian and Molly, changed into casual clothes, were in the hall discussing Molly's upcoming summer internship at Kinnetik. 

 

Brian turned when he heard Justin come up the stairs.  He walked over to give Justin a quick hug and kiss.

 

"You and Chef John have dinner under control?"

 

"Yup, Alice's beef stroganoff over noodles and a salad."

 

Brian smirked.  "Longer time for me on the stair stepper tomorrow."

 

Another quick kiss and Justin headed into the bedroom to change.  Mark came out of the guest room and he, Molly & Brian went downstairs.  They all grabbed a beer and went out on the patio.

 

Just as Justin came down the stairs, Jennifer & Tucker came through the front door.  Justin told them he thought everyone was out on the patio but Jennifer said she wanted to talk to him privately.  The three of them walked into the parlor and sat down.

 

Jennifer told Justin that she had a call from Maria Goode.  She wanted Jennifer to know that Craig had told Earl that he had a vasectomy so they weren't sure how Craig's girlfriend could be pregnant with his child.

 

Jennifer was surprised when Justin smiled at her news.

 

"Craig told Molly about his vasectomy so she is also wondering about this pregnancy.  Not sure who Craig is using as his attorney but we will definitely have to let them know."

 

Jennifer nodded.

 

"As far as I know he is still using Rob Mahan.  Of course he could have changed recently but that was who Craig was using when he asked me to lower my alimony."

 

Jennifer knew about Peter's new name for Justin but it was still a little surprising to hear and would take some getting used to.  The family enjoyed their afternoon relaxing outside.  John got the beef stroganoff in the oven and later he & Justin got the rest of their dinner organized.

 

After dinner and clean up, Jennifer & Tucker headed home.  Brian spent some time in the study working.  Mark, John & Peter played video games while Justin & Molly sat out on the patio and talked.  Justin was surprised by Molly's revelation that she had always felt Justin was Craig's favored child. 

 

Justin wasn't living in the same house as Molly when Craig's visitations were supposed to happen.  He knew that his mother was happy that Craig never took Molly for an entire weekend but he admitted he never considered how Molly might view that as a rejection.

 

Justin, feeling abandoned & rejected, never liked to discuss Craig too much.  Now he was feeling guilty but Molly assured him that she always knew that Justin loved her and always felt that if she needed anything Justin would do his best to help her.  They both cried a little and laughed a little and at the end they hugged, feeling their relationship was stronger than ever.

 

Molly also told Justin, after getting him to swear not to tell Jennifer, that she & Mark had talked about getting married.  Molly was determined not to even get engaged until after they both graduated from Penn State.  Justin had suspected that Mark was more important than any of Molly's other boyfriends.  He said he thought it was a good idea to hold off until after graduation. 

 

Molly laughed and said he was kind of a hypocrite since he had been with Brian since Justin was in high school.   Justin pointed out that they still weren't married and might have been able to avoid some rough patches if they had waited to get so serious about each other.  Molly rolled her eyes.

 

"Brian certainly tried his best not to get serious but Brother Dear you were relentless."

 

Justin groaned but knew better than to try and argue that point.  They chatted until Brian came to the door and asked if they were staying out there all night.  Justin rolled his eyes and Molly laughed but they did go in the house. 

 

Mark & Molly challenged Justin & Peter to a pinochle game.  John went up to his room to finish a homework project and Brian settled into a chair with some cognac to read.  He chuckled a few times at the banter during the card game.  When Peter & Justin won, Brian announced he was going to bed.

 

Since Mark & Molly were driving back the next day, everyone decided to go upstairs.  Peter went up the back stairs.  Molly & Mark said their goodnights.  Brian set the alarm before he & Justin went up to their room.

 

Justin was mildly surprised and extremely pleased when Brian asked if everything was okay after Justin's talk with Molly.  Justin gave him a sunshine smile along with a kiss and said it was a good talk.  Brian just nodded but Justin could tell his partner was relieved there were no issues between the siblings.

 

The next morning John & Peter were downstairs early to make breakfast before Molly & Mark headed back to State College.   When Molly & Mark appeared in the kitchen she was touched that the boys were waiting to make breakfast.

 

Brian & Justin appeared shortly after Molly & Mark had settled at the kitchen table with coffee.  Justin gave John & Peter a sunshine smile.  Peter walked over with two mugs of coffee.

 

"Here is your coffee Uncle Brian, four sugars no cream.  Here is yours Papa, cream & one sugar.  You guys sit down, breakfast will be ready soon."

 

Molly smiled at her brother who was still a little embarrassed every time Peter called him Papa.  She was impressed when John delivered a big bowl of scrambled eggs and an egg white omelet for "Uncle Brian".  Peter brought over the toasted English muffins and bacon that he had prepared in the two ovens.

 

Molly looked over at the two boys sitting opposite her and Mark.

 

"Thanks guys for this great breakfast.  It was really nice of you to get up early on a Sunday morning to make this for us."

 

John just shrugged.  "It's no big deal".  Like his uncle he had trouble accepting praise. 

 

Peter looked pleased.  "We're happy to do it.  John and I have the routine all worked out.  We just have to make a little more when we have company for breakfast."

 

They were almost finished with breakfast when Brian got up and walked down the hall to the study.  He came back with $100 in gas money for Mark and $500 mad money for Molly.  Justin shook his head with amusement.  Molly gave Brian a hug & kiss and did say he didn't need to give her any money but made no move to return it.  Mark settled for a simple thank you.

 

Justin noticed that Brian wasn't unhappy with Molly's show of gratitude.  He knew that Brian really loved Molly and wanted to show her support after her speech at the funeral.  Shortly after breakfast Molly & Mark were on their way.  Brian took the Sunday paper out to the patio to read and Justin followed him outside with a sketch pad under his arm.

 

The next morning Brian left for work at his normal time and the boys left for school with Mary Gardner.  A while after everyone left Justin appeared in the kitchen for his breakfast.  Alice pulled a glass of Juice and a bowl of fruit out of the refrigerator while Justin got his cup of coffee.

 

Alice suggested French toast for breakfast and Justin was quick to agree.  They chatted while Alice prepared breakfast.  Alice sat and had a cup of coffee with Justin while he ate breakfast.

 

Justin was just about to go up to the studio when the phone rang.  He answered and was surprised that it was Rob Mahan's office.  They wanted to know if Justin could come to the office for a meeting, hopefully today.

 

Justin was mystified but agreed.