Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first, but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 19

 

Ben was already at home when Michael arrived.  He came out of the kitchen with a smile.

 

"Hi Mike.  Did you have a good day?"

 

"No!  I got unbelievable news.  Brian is trying to get custody of Gus.  He has a lawyer working on it and Ma knew about this and didn't tell me.  Ted came and told her last night, so he knows too.  I can't understand why Brian didn't tell me.

 

This can have a bad affect on JR.  Brian needs to include her in his custody battle.  I tried talking to Ma, but that kid, Joe, and Carl told me I was upsetting her and I had to leave.  Something about her blood pressure being too high.  Well mine is high too just thinking about my poor baby and what this will mean for her."

 

Ben sat on the couch and motioned for Michael to join him.

 

"Mike Baby, Brian and Justin have no right to try and get custody of JR.  Why would you think they should have included her?"

 

"Brian needs to include me getting custody of JR.  If Mel and Linds aren't taking proper care of Gus they must be neglecting JR too.  I tried to talk to Ma about her helping out by minding JR while we are at work, but Joe and Carl wouldn't let us discuss it."

 

Ben was amazed by what his husband was saying.

 

"Michael you and I are doing better but we are still working on our issues.  I don't see how we could take primary custody.  It isn't fair to expect your mother to take care of JR every day while we work.  I don't think that JR is being neglected.

 

Everyone has noticed that Mel is tough on Gus.  I think she can't separate her dislike of Brian from her feelings about Gus.  He is like a clone of Brian.  A couple times when JR was here, I was surprised with how she talked about Gus being used to take care of her and punished if she steps out of line.  I'd hoped it was just her exaggerating things but maybe I was wrong."

 

"Ma said the same thing about JR saying stuff and Ma feels bad she didn't tell Brian.  None of that matters.  I just need to talk to Brian about getting me custody of JR.  He can afford it."

 

Ben slowly shook his head.

 

"Speaking of affording just how are you playing on supporting JR?  Obviously, I play no role here since you talk about "you" getting custody, not us."

 

"Ben, of course I meant us.  Brian always gave Mel and Linds cash so why shouldn't he help us out.  I am his best friend and he can certainly afford it."

 

"Michael, Brian and Justin have paid support for Gus.  JR along with Mel and Linds have just benefitted from that support.  I will grant you that Brian and Justin have plenty of money but now they will be responsible for supporting five children.  You can't expect them to help support your daughter."

 

Michael frowned.

 

"Brian is the one who makes the money.  Now Justin has him supporting his kids but I'm sure Brian will be willing to help me out."

 

"I don't know why you can't understand that Brian and Justin own everything together.  Yes, Kinnetik makes tons of money but that belongs to both Brian and Justin.  Brian couldn't deny Justin that money even if he wanted to.  Justin owns an equal share of Kinnetik.

 

There is no way Brian and Justin are going to give you money for JR.  No one but you would even suggest such a thing."

 

An annoyed Michael stomped upstairs, and an astonished Ben went back to the kitchen to finish dinner.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

The next morning Gus found the master bedroom empty but located his Daddy & Papa in the nursery changing Lily & Liam's diapers.  They all went downstairs where Gus sang to his brother and sister while their bottles were prepared.  Gus was proud of his ability to amuse his siblings.  Brian and Justin were amazed and grateful.

 

Gus fed Liam and Daddy fed his Princess.  Meanwhile Papa prepared to make pancakes for breakfast once the youngest members of the family were done their bottles.  John and Peter arrived downstairs in time for pancakes. 

 

Alice came in just before Cassie accompanied by Lucy & Violet.  The girls were happily surprised when Justin offered them pancakes.  Their mother said the girls had already had breakfast, but the girls said they had room for pancakes.  They were thrilled when John served them juice.  Both girls had a crush on John which embarrassed John and amused Peter.

 

With Cassie in charge of the twins, Brian and Gus went down to the train room. Charlie was in charge of getting Peter to his summer class and John to soccer practice. 

 

Justin made a shopping trip to the furniture store they had used to furnish the house.  It had the all-important Brian seal of approval.  Justin thought that was good thing because the only person he knew who was as concerned as Brian about having the best of everything was his Granny.  For her entire life she had been surrounded by nicest furniture, the best clothes and the finest food and wine. 

 

Justin realized he hadn't made that connection before and it amused him.  Granny's upcoming visit might just turn out to pretty amusing.

 

When he arrived at the store Justin realized that Brian had called ahead.  A salesperson headed for him as soon as he entered the store.  No doubt Brian wanted to be sure Justin didn't buy some substandard furniture. 

 

First on the list were twin beds for his mother and Granny to sleep on.  Justin knew for sure that Brian had called when the salesman started to walk toward the bedroom furniture before Justin even said anything.  Justin spotted the beautiful mahogany beds as soon as they walked into the area.  He went over and looked at the price which he considered obscene.

 

Justin asked if they were available for immediate delivery.  The salesman checked and assured Justin the beds were in the warehouse.  Justin ordered the most expensive mattresses for the beds.  The shopping trip moved to chairs.  There was an overstuffed easy chair with a matching ottoman that reminded Justin of a favorite chair of Granny's from when he was a boy.

 

The chair and ottoman were also available.  The last thing on Justin's list was a screen to provide some privacy for the sleeping area of the pool house.  The store did not have a lot of screens but there was beautiful screen with flower painted silk panels that Justin felt was perfect.  The store sample was the only one available and after checking it over Justin said he would buy the floor sample.

 

All the purchases would be delivered in two days.  Next Justin went to a rug store.  He knew Granny would not be happy with the indoor/outdoor carpet in the pool house.  He selected a rug for the sitting area and a smaller area rug for between the beds.

 

His shopping done Justin headed home.  Train time was over, so Brian and Gus were in the pool.  Gus came running over to welcome his Papa home.  Brian sauntered over as well.  He bent down to give his Sunshine a welcome home kiss.

 

"How did the shopping trip go?"

 

"Didn't the furniture store report back to you?  I know you alerted them.  I guess you don't trust me buy furniture without your guidance."

 

Gus looked up at Daddy's face and both he and Justin could see the brief appearance of a guilty expression before it was replaced by Brian's no emotion face.

 

"I was just trying to save you time so you would be home sooner."

 

That comment made Justin laugh.

 

"Well if nothing else you are honest.  Granny likes the best so she will be grateful when I tell her about your intervention."

 

Brian wasn't able to hide his horrified expression.

 

"You wouldn't really do that, would you?"

 

"Actions have consequences Mr Kinney."

 

Gus wasn't really sure what his fathers were talking about, but he could tell by the smile tugging at the corners of Papa's mouth that he wasn't really angry.

 

Gus was astonished when told that Grandmom Jen's mother was coming to visit.  He and Kevin had discussed this during their playdate.  Neither boy could imagine how old Grandmom Jen's mother must be.  They were both curious but apprehensive about meeting her.

 

One more kiss from Brian before he and Gus returned to the pool and Justin went to his studio.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

That morning Melanie's Assistant buzzed her to let her know Anabel Harper was on the phone.  Melanie muttered a vulgar name for a female sexual portal and picked up the call.

 

"This is Melanie Marcus."

 

"Hello Melanie, this is Anabel Harper.  I need to discuss your visit yesterday to the Taylor-Kinney residence."

 

Melanie chuckled.

 

"Are you now monitoring Brian and Justin's social calendar?"

 

"No.  I am trying to save you some embarrassment.  My understanding is that you forced your way into a private residence.  Ignored requests to leave and physically threatened a minor.   The young man you threatened may need counseling to deal with trauma caused by that event.

 

My clients have asked me to get a promise from you to never appear at their home uninvited again."

 

"They have my son in that house.  I was merely trying to contact Gus.  I have no idea if he is being held against his will.  Lindsay and I have not communicated with him since Jennifer Taylor confronted Gus and I at a supermarket. 

 

I didn't make a scene at the time because I didn't want to upset Gus.  I had no reason to be concerned about Mrs Taylor's motives in taking Gus to visit his father.  However now, since we have had no contact with Gus, I am genuinely concerned about my son's welfare."

 

Anabel laughed.

 

"Wow!  That is quite a story.  However, I know this was a scheduled visit and understand there are quite a few people that are also aware that it was a scheduled visit.  I also have witnesses to the fact that Gus was not in the house when you forced your way inside.  You were informed that Gus was not at home but forced your way inside anyway.

 

The purpose of my call is simple.  Promise not to show up at the house again or we file a request for a restraining order."

 

"You don't have a chance to get a restraining order.  You would be wasting your time."

 

"I disagree, I feel we could get a restraining order.  Threatening a minor is serious.  I know that and you know that.  The fact that the minor is a soon to sixteen-year-old boy who could probably have no trouble dropping you to the floor is immaterial.

 

The mere fact that we file would be quite embarrassing to you.  I wonder how Bernice would feel about one of her associate lawyers faced with a restraining order for threatening a minor.  The fact that you are not one of Bernice's favorite people is not a secret."

 

Melanie paused.  She knew Anabel was correct.

 

"Fine I promise not to go there again uninvited.  Is that satisfactory?"

 

Anabel agreed but did say if Melanie broke that promise there would be a restraining order. 

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Melanie had not talked to Lindsay about the Custody battle.  She tried to shield her wife as best she could from unpleasant or upsetting news.  She hated to admit it, but Mel knew that Brian had a good chance of getting primary custody of Gus.  After JR went to bed that night Mel told Lindsay they had to talk.

 

The settled on the living room couch, each with a mug of herbal tea.  Mel noticed that Lindsay appeared nervous.  Her mug trembled until she put it down and turned to face Melanie.

 

"Linds, I have to let you know about some things that happened this week.  Unfortunately, Brian has filed a legal request to assume primary custody of Gus."

 

"What are the chances of that happening?"

 

Mel took a deep breath.

 

"He has a better chance than I would like.  He has a lot of money and the request was filed in Washington County.  He and Justin were successful at getting custody of Brian's nephews in that jurisdiction.  Their housekeeper and grounds keeper have some political influence in that county."

 

Lindsay was quiet, she picked her mug of tea up and stared down into it like there were answers there.

 

"Maybe that is for the best.  I simply can't cope with two children.  Gus is so demanding of my time.  When I try to have some time in my studio, he always wants to come in with me.  He tells me that he helps Justin paint by reading to him.  I don't understand that.  An artist needs time to themselves to create; it is a solitary process.

 

Some days it is all I can do keep myself in check.   I just want to scream but I'm afraid once I start screaming, I won't be able to stop."

 

Melanie was shocked.  She was sure Lindsay would be upset by even the chance of losing primary custody of Gus.  She knew there was no way they could win the custody battle if this was how Lindsay felt.  Now she started to consider the ramifications of losing custody of Gus. 

 

No more support from Brian which was not good news for their financial situation.  Also, they could no longer count on Gus to watch JR.  Mel didn't think Lindsay would be happy about having to monitor and amuse JR all day.  Mel wondered how they could afford any kind of daycare.  It would take time to just find a suitable daycare facility.

 

Lindsay announced she was tired and going to go up to bed.  Melanie said she had a couple things to take care of in her home office.  Once she was finished her work she would come to bed.  The first task Mel completed was an email to Anabel Harper saying there would be no fight over Gus's custody. She asked Anabel to prepare a new custody agreement which she and Lindsay would sign.  They would not ask for any specific custody but hoped they would be permitted to still see Gus.

 

She tied up a couple loose ends for clients before she just sat at her desk and cried.  There was nothing in her life that she was proud of at this moment.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Gus adjusted to the new normal of the household.  Liam and Lily meant that Gus rarely found his Daddy and Papa together in bed in the morning.  He discovered that the new routine was also fun.  Now that Lily and Liam were sleeping a little longer, Gus often found himself in the nursery, first thing in the morning, with one of his fathers.  Gus was proud of his ability to entertain and distract his brother and sister when they were cranky.  He was also delighted that Daddy and Papa praised him for that ability.

 

Brian and Justin made sure that they both had one on one time with Gus every day.  They did not want Gus to ever feel slighted by all the attention the twins demanded.  Luckily Gus really loved Liam and Lily.  He spent time talking to them and loved giving them their bottles.

 

Justin worried that Gus did not seem to miss Lindsay or Melanie and never asked about them.  Brian was infuriated because to him this showed that the munchers were not treating his Sonny Boy correctly.

 

This morning when Gus came out of his bedroom, he could hear his siblings being fussy in the nursery.  He hurried across the hall to find Daddy changing Liam's diaper while a cleaned-up Lily was announcing she was ready for her bottle.   

 

Gus went over and gave his sister a kiss.  That startled her into silence.  Gus started a song before Lily could start crying again.  Her eyes opened wide and as usually happened she seemed mesmerized by her big brother.

 

Daddy laughed and told Gus he had shown up just in time.   Brian put Liam in the bassinet with Lily and led the way down to the family room.  John was awake and had the bottles warmed up and ready.  Gus asked if he could give Liam his bottle and climbed up on the sofa so Daddy could hand him his brother.  John gave Gus a bottle and grabbed Lily from the bassinet.  He sat at the opposite end of the couch to feed Lily.

 

Alice arrived a short time later and announced she was making waffles for breakfast.  Brian chuckled and said he better take Justin his coffee so he could wake up in time for waffles.  Gus reminded Daddy to tell Papa that he was busy feeding Liam and that was why he didn't deliver his coffee.  Brian stopped to give Gus a kiss on his way upstairs.

 

Alice took over burping duty for Liam before Gus finished giving him his bottle.  Peter arrived downstairs for breakfast and soon after than Brian and Justin appeared, freshly showered.  Gus smiled at them and announced.

 

"Daddy and Papa have been kissing upstairs. They both have on their happy kissing expressions."

 

Justin blushed while everyone else laughed.  Gus also informed his fathers that the babies drank all their bottles and Alice had burped Liam.  Everyone sat down for waffles, even Brian ate a waffle with a tiny bit of syrup.  He also made sure everyone had some fresh fruit along with the waffles.

 

When Cassie arrived after breakfast Brian went to the study to check his emails.  He was back a couple minutes later and asked Justin to come to the study.  Brian had Anabel's email pulled up on his computer.  Justin read it, looked up at Brian and read it again before speaking.

 

"Why would Melanie agree so easily?  Do you think this is just a way to delay so she can build a case against us?"

 

"Anabel says she is going to get the agreement drawn up and messengered over to Mel's office.  Once she and Lindsay sign that, it is all over.  I don't much care why they decided to go along with us getting custody I am just going to be glad this will be over and Gus can stay with us."

 

Justin agreed and they walked down to the family room together.  Cassie, her daughters and the twins were out on the patio.  John, Peter and Gus were all taking with Alice.  Brian asked Gus to come over and sit with him and Justin.

 

Gus ran over and settled on the couch between his Daddy and his Papa a big smile on his face. Brian put his arm around Gus.

 

"Sonny Boy, Papa and I have some good news we want to tell you.  Mommy and Mama have agreed that you should live here with us.  Papa and I are really happy about that happening."

 

Gus smiled and leaned into Brian's side.

 

"So I will live here forever with you and Papa and my cousins and Lily and Liam?"

 

Brian smiled.

 

"I'm not sure you will live here forever.  Some day you will meet someone you love, like I love Papa, and you will want to make your own home with them.  It might be a man or a woman but the two of you will build your own life together."

 

Gus giggled.

 

"That won't happen for a long time Daddy.  I'll live with you and Papa as long as I want, right?"

 

"Yes Sonny Boy."

 

"Will I have to go stay with Mommy and Mama, like how I came here to stay sometimes."

 

Brian looked at Justin who leaned over to give Gus a kiss.

 

"Gus is that something you want to do.  To stay with your moms part of the time?"

 

"No Papa.  I want to stay here with you and Daddy.  Everybody here is happy and no one yells.  I like when we spend time together in your studio.  Mommy never wants me to help her create art like you do."

 

Brian smiled down at his son.

 

"I glad you are so happy to live here all the time.  Well your Papa and I are really happy too.  It will be great for Liam and Lily to have their big brother around all the time."

 

John and Peter had been listening and they came over to tell Gus how happy they were that he would live here. 

 

Gus had an ear to ear smile.  He was looking forward to living here full time.  To him, Daddy and Papa meant security and love.  He was disappointed by the behavior of Mommy and Mama; Gus felt like he couldn't really depend on them.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

The next morning Jennifer got a call from Joan's Rehab Counselor to let her know that Joan had agreed to meet with her.  Jennifer agreed to a late morning visit.

 

Jennifer talked with her agent, whose brother worked at a rehab, and was cautioned not to take any food or drink to Joan.  She took just her wallet with her for her meeting with Joan Kinney.  Outside the hospital a vendor was selling flowers so at the last-minute Jennifer decided to buy a bouquet.  She had no idea how this meeting would go but was determined not to let Joan upset her.

 

At the rehab entrance Jennifer produced her drivers license for ID and handed over her wallet and flowers for an inspection.  Jennifer was escorted to the community room by a staff member.  The rehab counselor she had spoken to on the phone came across the room to greet her.  He stressed that he hoped Joan would not be unduly upset by this meeting.  Jennifer assured him she had no desire to upset Joan and she admired her for finally seeking treatment for her disease.

 

Joan Kinney walked into the community room full of apprehension.  She glanced around the room and spotted Jennifer Taylor.  As usual she looked perfectly at ease and stylishly dressed.  Joan took a dep breath and walked over to Jennifer.

 

Jennifer stood up with a small smile on her face and extended her hand.  It was obvious to her how nervous Mrs Kinney was.

 

"Hello Mrs Kinney.  Thank you for agreeing to see me.  I know our interactions in the past have not always been very pleasant.  I want you to know that I admire you for confronting your issues and seeking treatment for your disease."

 

Joan shook the offered hand.

 

"Thank you Mrs Taylor.  I must admit I was surprised by your request to meet with me.  As you said we have never had a meeting that ended cordially."

 

Jennifer nodded and sat back down in her chair.  Joan gave a nervous look around the room before she sat.

 

"I'm not sure what your counselor told you but my reason for coming to see you is because John got a call from his mother.  Claire told him about you entering rehab and calling her to apologize.  John did tell his mother he thought she could have met you halfway."

 

"Since John knows about me being here, I am thinking Brian also knows."

 

Jennifer shook her head.

 

"John wasn't sure if he should tell Brian or not.  He didn't want to upset his Uncle.  He knew that if he told Justin; Brian would figure out that Justin was upset about something.  He didn't confide in Peter because he was sure Peter would tell Justin.  Peter and Justin have become quite close.  I think Peter really missed having a father.  Peter sees Justin as a father figure for him.

 

Anyway, John decided to call me for advice.  I think you know that I have a very good relationship with the boys.  I told John I would try and contact you.  I am looking for guidance from you.  I'm not sure if you want Brian to know about you seeking help or if you are not ready for that."

 

Joan was sure that Jennifer was here to warn her away from upsetting Brian or to tell her Brian was not interested in her entering rehab.  She felt that Jennifer was sincere in her concern and it shocked her.

 

"May I call you Jennifer?"

 

The answer was a smile and nod.

 

"Thank you, Jennifer.  I appreciate your concern.  I know we have very different views of life, but I believe you are an honest and sincere person.  In my experience you never hesitate to speak your mind.  There would be no reason for you not to do the same thing now. 

 

I will try to be honest as well.  I haven't contacted Brian for a couple reasons.  First, I know that I failed Brian more than Claire.  My husband had some affection for Claire.  He never physically abused her.  He was never supportive or particularly loving towards her.  Neglect was more his approach with Claire.

 

As you know.  He was much more abusive with Brian and I did little to stop that abuse.  Brian doesn't remember, and there is no reason he should, but I did initially try and stop Jack from hitting him.  That resulted in Jack beating me before he turned back to Brian.  I don't think you would have done this, but I chose to ignore the situation as much as I could. 

 

I am not proud to confess that behavior but those are the facts.  I have never been a confident or self-confident person.  I suffered from that and my children suffered more.  I called Claire first because I felt, that even though she suffered less abuse, she suffered more effects.  Her life has always been in turmoil.

 

Brian has a successful life.  He is successful in business.  I also realize he and your son have a successful relationship.  I don't understand their choices, but it is obvious they care about each other.  I know you are supportive of their life choices.  I am not sure I could ever be as supportive as you are.

 

I thought that Claire would be more open to a relationship with me.  I guess I felt she needed it more, she is all alone.  Brian doesn't need me.  He has a family, perhaps not a conventional one, but one that provides a lot of support."

 

Jennifer took a minute to absorb what Joan said to her.  She tried her best to keep her strong feelings of dislike and disapproval under control.  That was hard; she had strong feelings about Joan Kinney and how she had led her life.

 

"Joan, I do want to be honest with you.  I do not approve of how you have conducted your life, but I understand we are all products of our upbringing and our life experience.  I understand that I have had a comfortable life.

 

I do support Brian and Justin's lifestyle, but I disagree that it is a choice.  I had a difficult time accepting that my son was gay.  I was shocked by his relationship with Brian.  I did not agree with my ex-husband that the solution was to disown him.  I even took Justin to a counselor hoping he could convince my son that he was not gay.

 

I know you are not a big fan of Debbie Novotny, but she was a tremendous support to me and helped me accept my son as a gay man and rebuild a relationship with him.  I still disapproved of his relationship with Brian who I thought was too old and too experienced to be with Justin.

 

I think you know that Justin was bashed by a classmate and almost died.  He was always interested in being an artist and the bashing left the use of his right hand very limited.  It also had a tremendous toll on Justin.  He didn't want me to touch him, he had uncontrollable episodes of rage and was deeply depressed.

 

The only person Justin trusted; the only person Justin wanted to be with was Brian.  I initially asked Brian to stay away from Justin and he abided by my wishes.  When I realized I couldn't handle Justin that I couldn't fix what was wrong with him; I asked Brian to have him come and live with him.  Brian never hesitated.  He took Justin to live with him and he restored my son to life.

 

Thy did not have a smooth road to the relationship they have now.  There were lots of bumps in the road and disagreements and for a time Justin left Brian for someone else.  Now they are a rock-solid couple.  They deeply love each other, trust each other completely and are protective each other.  I rejoice in their relationship and I love them both.  Just as I feel John and Peter are my grandsons I feel that Brian is my son.  I admire him more than almost anyone I know.

 

I am also protective of him.  To be perfectly frank I will not allow you to hurt Brian anymore, if there is any way I can prevent it."

 

Joan's expression was more open than Jennifer ever saw before.

 

"Well I was correct about you speaking your mind and your honesty.  I don't know that we would ever be friends, but I admire your self confidence and your honesty.  Those are traits I wish I could develop.

 

I am being honest when I say I have no desire to hurt Brian.  I know that I have not been a good mother to either of my children and that I was neglectful.

 

I am not ready to meet with Brian in person or even to have a phone conversation.  I just cannot do that.  I did write Brian a letter.  I would like you to deliver the letter.  I haven't sealed the envelope so if you feel that you need to read it before you give it to Brian I understand.

 

If you don't want to deliver the letter, I understand that too.  Either way I thank you for coming to see me and for the flowers.  I also want to thank you for giving Brian a mother's love which I was never able to show him."

 

Jennifer took the envelope from Joan.

 

"If you assure me there is nothing written here that is meant to hurt Brian, I won't read it."

 

Joan smiled.

 

"I promise that I wrote nothing with the intent to hurt Brian.  It is a letter of apology for all the ways I failed my son."

 

Jennifer stood up.

 

"Good luck Joan.  I hope you are able overcome your issues.  If you want to to meet with me again just have your counselor call me."

 

Joan also stood.

 

"Thank you, Jennifer."

 

Jennifer left the rehab disliking Joan Kinney a little less than she did before their meeting.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Around the time that Jennifer and Joan where meeting Gus was spending time with Papa in the studio.  He read out loud for a while but eventually he and Papa had a talk while they sat on the day bed together.  Gus had some questions about living here all the time and he wanted to talk to Papa about his mothers and why they behaved the way they did. 

 

Gus liked to talk things over with his Papa.  He always listened carefully and sometimes asked questions, so Gus knew that Papa really cared about giving him the right answer.  Gus was also excited about attending the same school as John and Peter.

 

Once their talk was over Justin suggested they might want to hit the pool and Gus agreed.

 

Brian was delighted that his Sonny Boy was so happy.  However, Justin could tell that Brian was still having a little trouble accepting that he was now basically a father to 5 children ranging in age from almost 16 to infants.  That was a situation that Brian was certain he would never be in.  He was not unhappy but still shocked by the reality.  He was currently spending some time in the study.

 

Cassie's daughters were with friends for the day and she was out on the patio with the twins when Justin & Gus came down to go in the pool.  Justin decided that he and Cassie should dangle Lily & Liam in the pool.  Gus was fascinated watching the babies' reaction to their legs being in the pool.  Lily started to move her legs around when her Papa moved her up and down in the water.  Liam was uncertain at first, but it didn't take him long to screw up his face and scream. 

 

Cassie pulled Liam out of the water and cuddled him close to her body.  Gus came over to talk to his brother.  He tried to convince Liam that the pool was really lots of fun.  When Liam quieted down Cassie laid him on a cushion under the awning.  A few minutes later Justin brought Lily over to join her brother.  He and Gus got in the pool and started a game of ring toss.

 

Just as they were finishing their second game Brian merged from the house.  He had been doing some Kinnetik business in the study.  Gus gave his Daddy a big hello followed by a request for him to play ring toss with him.  Brian laughingly agreed.

 

Alice went to pick up John from soccer and Peter from his class.  When she returned Justin had lunch fixings ready to put out on the patio.  John and Peter hurried upstairs to put on their swimsuits.  When the boys returned, they helped Justin move things out to the patio for lunch.  Brian and Gus got out of the pool to get lunch.  Since Liam and Lily were happy on their cushion Cassie joined everyone else for lunch.

 

Just when lunch was winding up the twins announced they were ready for a bottle.  Cassie hurried inside to warm a couple bottles.  Justin grabbed Lily and Brian picked up his Sunbeam.  They settled on chairs ready to feed the babies when Cassie came back with the bottles.

 

John, Peter and Gus took all the leftover into the house. When they came back John suggested a walk down to the pond.  Gus was thrilled to be included.

 

Meanwhile after visiting Joan Kinney Jennifer returned to her office.  She tied up a few loose ends and drove to Washington County.  She rang the doorbell and the door was opened by a surprised Alice.

 

"Jennifer I wasn't expecting you. Did the boys know you were coming?"

 

Jennifer smiled thinking how Brian would feel about being one of the boys to her and Alice.

 

"No.  I didn't tell anyone about coming down here.  I visited Joan Kinney earlier today at the alcohol rehab unit at Allegheny General.  She told Claire that she was there, Claire called John and told him.  Poor John wasn't sure what to do with that information, so he called me."

 

Alice nodded.

 

"John knew the right thing to do; he called the person he knew would help him."

 

Jennifer gave Alice a quick hug.

 

"Joan gave me a letter for Brian.  I am here to deliver the letter."

 

Alice frowned.

 

"Well everyone is out on the patio."

 

Together they walked through the house.  Alice stopped in the kitchen.  Jennifer hesitated at the patio doors before going outside.  Cassie was just getting ready to take Liam and Lily upstairs for a nap.

 

A surprised Justin came over went over to his mother and gave her a hug.

 

"This is a nice surprise.  What brings you down here?" 

 

"Well first I want to get a look at my youngest grandchildren."

 

She went over to admire the twins.  Justin and Brian stood beside her smiling at her delight at seeing Lily and Liam.  When Cassie went into the house Jennifer turned to Brian and Justin.

 

"My main purpose was to talk with the two of you."

 

The men looked at each other before Justin addressed his mother.

 

"If you are here about the custody challenge, we have good news.  Melanie told Anabel they will sign an agreement to give us primary custody.  I was waiting until we had that signed agreement before we told anyone.

 

I hope you haven't been spending time working on the custody fight."

 

Jennifer saw that the boys were heading back toward the patio.

 

"That isn't why I am here.  I see John, Peter and Gus heading this way.  Let's go in the house before they see me." 

 

They all walked into the room and shut the door.  Jennifer faced the two men.

 

"I came to tell you that I visited Joan Kinney at the rehab unit of Allegheny General earlier today."

 

Justin turned to Brian who just stared straight ahead for a moment. He switched his attention back to his mother.

 

"How in the world did you find out about Joan being in rehab?  Did she contact you?"

 

Jennifer was observing Brian, who was fairly successful keeping his no emotion expression on his face.  Anyone who did not know him as well as Jennifer would have been fooled.  She could see the tension in his features.  She also noticed Justin take a half a step sideways, so his body was touching Brian. Jennifer knew this was a gesture of support and calming.  Brian put his arm around Justin and pulled him closer.

 

"No Joan didn't contact me.  She called Claire to apologize.  I imagine Joan is working some sort of step program at rehab."

 

Justin spoke up again.

 

"She called Claire?  Did Claire contact you?"

 

"Honey how about you just let me tell my story and you hold your questions to the end.  I think this will go faster that way."

 

Brian chuckled; Justin frowned but nodded.

 

"As I was saying.  Joan called Claire to apologize for the mistakes she made as a mother.  Claire was not receptive to Joan's apology.   She called John to tell him about Joan's call.  John was not sympathetic to his mother and said she should have met Joan halfway.

 

John wasn't sure what to do with the information that Joan was in rehab.  He didn't want to upset you guys, so he called me.  I contacted the rehab to see if I could meet with Joan.  She agreed and I met with her today. 

 

I asked her why she hadn't contacted Brian to apologize.  She said she knew that Brian had suffered more physical abuse, but she felt it affected his life less than Claire.  Joan said Brian had a successful business and personal life.  Claire's life was always a mess.  Joan understands that you two love and support each other even if she doesn't approve.  She called it your choice and I did not agree with it being a choice.

 

She felt Claire might be more open to establishing a relationship.  I think she is afraid to contact Brian, but she did give me a letter to give to Brian.  She left it unsealed in case I wanted to read it.  I told her I would not deliver anything that would hurt Brian and she assured me this letter was not intended to hurt him.  I didn't read it but if she lied about the contents, I'll make sure she is sorry."

 

Brian smiled.

 

"Joanie would be a fool to invite your revenge.  Some people think I am afraid of you but actually I am just aware of how fiercely you protect the people you care about.  I never want to risk my status as one of the protected."

 

Jennifer smiled and gently stroked Brian's cheek.

 

"Not much danger of that happening.  You are my son.  I'll leave you two alone with Joan's letter."

 

Jennifer left the study.  Justin turned to his partner.

 

"Do you want me to read it first?"

 

Brian leaned down to kiss Justin.

 

"I think you are catching my over protectiveness Sunshine.  I believe Joanie is smart enough not is piss off Mother Taylor."

 

They sat together on the couch and Justin leaned against Brian while he read the letter from his mother. The handwritten letter was two pages long and after Brian finished the first page, he passed it to Justin.

 

Once they both read the entire letter Brian turned to Justin.

 

"Sounds like Joanie realizes how fucked up her life is.  She might actually stop drinking but she will still be a bitch that I don't want anything to do with."

 

Justin snuggled into Brian's side.

 

"Whatever you want is fine with me."