Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times we are going through.  Be safe!!

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 16

 

Much to Justin's delight his son and daughter seemed to be getting on a regular schedule.  They now regularly slept for at least 4 hours between bottles.  It still wasn't the amount of uninterrupted sleep he would like but he was finding he could deal with it.

 

On Tuesday morning Justin and Brian were able to function normally.  Gus met Brian in the hall when he was going to the nursery to take Liam & Lily downstairs.  He followed his Daddy to the nursery and was interested to watch Daddy change diapers while the babies fussed.  Gus tried singing to them and Brian was shocked when it did seem to quiet his siblings.

 

His Daddy told Gus that Papa was being his normal sleepy head this morning which made Gus laugh.  He followed Daddy downstairs and got 2 bottles out of the refrigerator and put them in the microwave.   He was happy when Daddy told him what a big help he was being.  Brian stayed with the twins trying to quiet them as they waited for their breakfast.

 

Alice arrived shortly after Brian and Gus came downstairs.  She started coffee before checking on the bottles and taking them into the family room.   Gus got up on the couch and said he was ready to feed a baby.

 

A smiling Brian gave Gus Lily and Alice handed him a bottle.  Brian held Liam and the Kinney men started to feed the newest additions to their family.  Alice brought Brian a mug of coffee, sweetened the way he liked it, and put it on the table beside him.

 

Peter was the next family member to appear.  His summer class started today.  Alice smiled at him.

 

"Good morning.  You missed diaper changing so you are in luck.  Charlie is waiting to take you to class when you are ready.  He is working in the vegetable garden, but I told him not to get to grubby before he takes you to school."

 

Peter chuckled and came over to say good morning to Lily and Liam and their feeders.  Alice walked over to burp Lily since she had finished half her bottle.  Gus watched, feeling very grown up, and determined to master baby burping.

 

John and Justin arrived in the kitchen about the same time.  One from the back stairs and one from the main staircase.  Gus looked at his Papa with a concerned expression.

 

  "Papa.  I'm sorry I didn't bring your coffee up to you, but I was feeding Lily."

 

Justin gave his older son a sunshine smile and came over to give him and Lily a kiss on their heads.

 

"That's okay Gus.  I can get my own coffee, but Lily can't get her morning bottle without her big brother.  Thank you for being such an amazing big brother."

 

Justin went to the other end of the end of the couch and gave Liam a kiss on the head and Liam's Daddy a kiss on the lips.  Everyone on the couch seemed happy with their greetings.

 

Alice announced she was making waffles for breakfast which made Brian groan and everyone else happy.

 

After breakfast Justin mentioned to Gus that a nice lady was coming later to talk to him.  She wanted to know why Gus wanted to live here all the time.  John and Peter were quick to tell Gus that they both had to do the same thing so that they could live here.  Brian did his best not to look too concerned.

 

Gus asked John and Peter a few questions about what they talked about.  Both of his cousins assured Gus it was not a big deal and he just had to tell the truth about what he thought and answer any questions the lady might have for him.  Justin smiled while observing the conversation.  Gus seemed to be reassured by what his cousins had to say.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Anabel Harper arrived early to the office, as usual.  She wanted to make a final check of the new custody agreement for Gus.  This had been prepared in record time because Anabel was sure Melanie planned to contest the current agreement.  She was anxious to get Brian & Justin's new agreement filed first.

 

Once she was satisfied it was complete, Anabel sent for a law clerk to deliver the package to the Washington County Courthouse.  She emailed an update to Brian and Justin before starting on her other work.

 

Melanie also got to her office early.  She had some urgent work she had to attend to.  She was aware that Bernice was keeping a careful watch on her work.  Mel was finding it difficult to attract new business to the firm.  Many of her contacts faded away during her time in Canada.

 

Ted had sent her a couple quality leads since she moved back but Melanie was honest enough to realize she had effectively cut off that source.  The biggest issue was she hadn't been able to attract many new sources.  So much of her time was taken up with family matters.  She had to protect Lindsay from any stress.  So much had fallen onto her shoulders and Melanie was determined not to appear weak.  She couldn't accept help from anyone who might report the help to Brian.  Melanie was still competing with him and never realized he had stopped competing with her long ago.

 

Mel wanted to get to work on her dispute on Gus's custody, but she had other more urgent things to take care of first.  She got to work and was pleased with the progress she made. She felt she could make a good case for she & Lindsay being forced to sign the custody agreement giving Brian & Justin so much access to Gus.

 

  She was also able to set a lunch meeting for the next day with a prospect she had been courting for months.  All in all, a good morning.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Ted arrived at Kinnetik at his usual time.  He was still unsettled by his confrontation with Melanie on Sunday.  He knew she and Brian had never gotten along but he could not understand how she be so ungrateful.  Ted, himself, still felt gratitude to Brian for the trust he displayed in helping Ted get his life back on track.  Currently Ted was happier than he had ever been in his entire life.  He could trace the beginning of the upward swing in his life to his job at Kinnetik.

 

Ted went to his office to check if there was anything urgent.  There wasn't.  He walked over to Cynthia's office.

 

"I need to be out of the office this morning.  If you need me, you can get me on my cell."

 

Cynthia looked up with a concerned expression.

 

"Is everything okay?  Anything I can do?"

 

Ted smiled.

 

"Not really.  I need to see Brian and Justin.  I don't like how Mel has been acting.  I'm concerned she is going to try another move; or something."

 

Cynthia nodded.

 

"Well let me know if I can do anything.  Personally, I think Gus belongs with Brian and Justin.  Poor Lindsay is nuts and Melanie is just evil."

 

Ted chuckled.

 

"I can't disagree with that assessment. See you later."

 

Ted headed for Washington Township.

 

Cassie and her girls arrived.  Cassie took charge of Lily and Liam.  Alice had prepared a sewing project for the girls at the kitchen table.  She took care of some laundry and other kitchen projects while checking in on the girls' progress.

 

Meanwhile Brian had checked his email and saw that their custody request would be filed at the courthouse today.   Justin was in his studio.  Gus and his cousins went on a walk by the creek.  They wanted to check on the progress of the tadpoles.

 

Brian went up to let Justin know about the custody papers being filed.  Justin smiled.

 

"I'm glad that is moving ahead.  You know that means we have to let Debbie know about this."

 

Brian's eyebrows went up.

 

"I know you're right. What do you think is better, email or telegram?"

 

Justin shook his head.

 

"I don't think telegrams exist anymore.  She has to be told in person; she deserves that."

 

Brian shrugged.

 

"Phone call it is."

 

"No Brian!  You know we have to go and tell her in person."

 

Brian sighed dramatically.

 

"We can take Sonny Boy.  I don't think she resort to physical violence if he is with us."

 

Justin chuckled while he shook his head.

 

"Don't worry Brian.  I'll stand between you and Debbie.  I don't think she'll hit me."

 

Justin came over to give Brian a hug.  They spent some time talking about the whole custody process and what it would mean to their lives and Gus's.

 

Downstairs the three boys had returned from their tadpole viewing.

 

Gus immediately related to Alice the more exciting part of the trip.  He told her how John showed him how boys can pee outside.

 

Alice laughed and said that was an important lesson to learn.  Cassie's daughters still working on their sewing at the kitchen table giggled. An embarrassed John explained that he told Gus that it was only OK if they were out in the woods and alone.  Gus confirmed that was part of the instructions on outside peeing.  Alice continued to laugh while John shook his head. Gus moved on to the second most exciting part of the trip seeing tadpoles in the process of turning into frogs.

 

The doorbell rang and Peter said he would answer.  He was surprised when he asked who was there and opened the door.

 

"Hi Uncle Ted.  I didn't know you were coming here today.  Uncle Brian didn't say anything about it."

 

"Brian and Justin didn't know I was coming.  Are they here?"

 

Peter nodded.

 

"Uncle Brian and Papa are up in the studio.  I'll go tell they you are here.  Come on into the family room."

 

Ted followed Peter and an excited Gus ran over to greet him.  Peter explained why Ted was here and started toward the back stairs.  Both Alice & John called after him.     "Knock first."

 

A laughing Peter nodded his head and disappeared through the staircase door.  He was mildly surprised at the immediate "Come in" when he knocked.

 

Brian and Justin were sitting on the daybed and Peter let them know Ted was downstairs.  The two men looked at each other and they both shrugged. 

 

The three of them went downstairs.  Gus was just running out of tadpole stories when they got to the family room.  John was delivering a glass if iced tea to Ted.

 

Ted said he needed to talk with Brian and Justin.  They all went down to the study.  Brian closed the door and indicated a chair to Ted.  Brian sat beside Justin on the sofa.

 

"So Ted, is something wrong at Kinnetik?"

 

"No.  Everything is still running smoothly.  We should have a good quarter.  No this is something personal."

 

Ted explained about the play date on Sunday and his conversation with Melanie.

 

Justin frown got deeper and deeper as Ted related his story.

 

"I'm sorry that Mel talked to you like that Ted.  You have always done your best to be friends to all of us and not take sides in any disputes."

 

Brian surprised both the other me by chiming in.

 

"I agree with Justin.  You have always been a good friend to us as well as Linds and Mel.  I have always appreciated your efforts."

 

Ted smiled.  That was a big confession for Brian to make.

 

"Thanks both of you.  The thing is I don't understand Mel's thinking.  I've known her a long time and she just doesn't seem to be thinking clearly now.  I know Lindsay is still struggling and that puts all the everyday responsibility on Mel. 

 

Honestly, I think Mel is worn down from the pressure.  She has somehow convinced herself that Brian is responsible for all her troubles.  She may be planning something else along the lines as the Florida move.  I hate to be a bad friend to Mel, but I can't support her current behavior.   I want you to know that whatever she might be planning I am on your side."

 

Justin smiled over at Ted.

 

"Neither Brian nor I want to put you in the middle."

 

Ted shook his head.

 

"You haven't.  Mel is the one who has me worried."

 

Brian frowned as he told Ted about the roadblocks that has been put up to Gus's visit.  Ted nodded as Brian told him about having the munchers' house watched and Grandmom Jen's rescue mission at the grocery store.

 

Mel's tirade on Sunday made more sense to Ted now.

 

Brian and Justin looked at each other before Brian turned back to Ted.

 

"Theodore I am going to tell you something that you will no doubt be hearing more about soon.  Today our attorney filed papers at the Washington County Courthouse that ask the court to grant Justin and I primary custody of Gus.  Lindsay and Mel would have visitation right with some conditions to be sure they can't try and leave town with him."

 

Ted had a grim smiled on his face.

 

"Well I don't think Mel really left you any choice.  This is really going to stir up Michael.  I'm sure you are prepared for that."

 

Brian let out a short bitter laugh.

 

"Yeah.  Even more we are dreading Debbie's reaction.  Justin and I were just discussing driving up to the city to tell her.  I'm concerned about bodily injury, but I agree we can't just call and tell her.  We are waiting for a child psychologist to come talk to Gus.  We'll probably head to Debbie's after Gus's interview.  That is as long as Gus isn't too freaked out."

 

Ted nodded.

 

"How about Blake and I go over to Debbie's tonight and tell her about your legal action.  Blake is really good at calming hysterics, he does it at work a lot.  I think it might be better to let Debbie work through her feeling before you see her face to face."

 

Justin shook his head.

 

"That's a lot to ask of you Ted.  It really is our responsibility."

 

"You didn't ask, this is my idea.  I really think you need to concentrate on your family here.  Gus will feel better if you guys are here with him.  He might have a delayed reaction to his meeting with the psychologist.  This got forced on you guys.  There is no need for you to apologize or feel guilty.

 

Deb will come to understand that, but I agree I don't believe that will be her initial reaction.  Blake and I will handle this, I insist."

 

Brian got up and put his hand on Ted's shoulder.

 

"You really are a good friend Ted.  You may be right about giving Deb a little time to work out her feelings."

 

Justin stood up and came over to the other two men.

 

"Just don't take Nina with you."

 

Ted chuckled.

 

"Don't worry!  We'll drop her off with Viola."

 

All three men laughed which helped dispel a lot of tension.  There was a knock on the study door and John announced the psychologist had arrived.  Justin gave Ted a hug and said to let them know how his meeting turned out. 

 

John let Brian and Justin know that the psychologist was waiting in the Parlor.  The four of them walked down the hall.  Ted left by the front door, John continued to the family room and Brian & Justin walked into the Parlor.

 

A young blonde woman stood up and smiled.

 

"Hello I'm Doctor Lena McCoy."

 

Brian and Justin introduced themselves and pulled shut the doors to the entrance hall and cross hall.  They all sat down.

 

Doctor McCoy took the lead in the conversation.

 

"I'm sure you are both feeing apprehensive about Gus's interview.  Have you discussed my visit with him?"

 

Justin understood Brian was not happy with the whole situation, so he knew it was up to him to answer.

 

"We told him you would want to talk with him and that it was not a big deal.  The important thing was that he should be honest with you. 

 

I'm not sure if you know this but we have custody of Brian's nephews and Gus adores his cousins.  Big boy appeal to little guys.  His cousins talked to a child psychologist from the state when we had temporary custody.  They have discussed that with Gus and told him there is nothing for him to be afraid of."

 

"Well it sounds like you and your nephews have prepared Gus for our talk.  That is great, but the reality will be different for Gus.  He is going to be apprehensive and there is no way around that happening.  I want to talk to him in a space where he feels really comfortable.  I am thinking that this beautiful room is not Gus's comfortable space."

 

Even Brian had to laugh at that comment.  Brian suggested Gus's bedroom but Justin was firm that was a bad idea.  He was afraid that if Gus was freaked out by this interview, he didn't want him to have bad memories about his bedroom.  They debated just about every room in the house until Brian made a suggestion that Justin & Dr McCoy agreed with immediately.

 

Brian suggested Gus show the psychologist his train setup in the basement and she could talk to him while he played with the trains.  Brian took Dr McCoy down to see the train room while Justin went out to the kitchen.

 

Gus was playing fish with John & Peter.  John made a face at Justin to let him know they were doing their best to distract Gus.  He was rewarded with a big smile from his uncle.  Gus glanced over.

 

"Papa is that the lady I have to talk to?"

 

"Yeah Buddy that is Miss Lena.  She wanted to see your trains.  Daddy took her down to the train room.  How about you come down and show her all the stuff your train setup does."

 

Gus was always happy to show off his trains.  He hurried over to his Papa and they went downstairs.

 

Brian and Lena were talking in the train room.  They turned to Justin and Gus when they came into the room.  Gus moved slightly behind his Papa, his standard uneasy about a situation move.  Brian frowned.

 

"Hey Sonny Boy, come meet Miss Lena.  She is anxious to see what the trains can do."

 

"Daddy are you and Papa going to stay and watch my trains?'

 

Brian's discomfort level reached new heights.  Justin put his hand on Gus's shoulders.

 

"Just for a little while Daddy and I will go upstairs so you and Miss Lean can talk.  We'll be back down soon."

 

Gus hid his face against his Papa's leg.

 

"I don't want to stay with just her.  She's a stranger.  You always say to be careful of strangers."

 

Brian was ready to call a halt to this whole situation.  Justin tried something else.

 

"Gus how about if John and Peter come down and play some ping pong while you and Miss Lena talk.  They would be right out here if you wanted them.  Would that be okay?"

 

Justin looked at Dr McCoy when he asked that last question and she smiled and gave a quick nod.

 

Brian relaxed a little.

 

"Sonny Boy go ahead up and get your cousins to come down here."

 

Gus hurried upstairs.  Brian turned to Lena.

 

"Is this going to work, with John and Peter out here."

 

She smiled.

 

"We want Gus to be relaxed.  If this makes him feel better that is fine by me.  I don't want either of you nearby.  Gus may not be honest if he thinks you might overhear what he says.    I don't think his cousins will have the same effect.  Also, they will be out of earshot but still provide some security to Gus."

 

A few minutes later Gus appeared with his cousins.  Justin explained to John and Peter about playing some ping pong while Gus showed Miss Lena his trains.

 

His Daddy and Papa were relieved that Gus seemed much more at ease to know his cousin were nearby.  Brian and Justin went upstairs.  They stopped in the study to each have a shot of Beam, to take the edge off their anxiety before walking down to the family room.

 

Lily and Liam were laying on a comforter that was spread out on the family room floor.  Cassie was watching over them while Lucy & Violet knelt at the edge of the comforter and talked to the babies.  Brian and Justin enjoyed their children's expressions as they listened to the girls.

 

Almost 45 minutes passed before Dr McCoy reappeared.  Brian immediately asked where Gus was.  She assured him that Gus was fine.  He was playing with his cousins and the trains.  Brian and Justin went with the doctor to the parlor.  She had good news for them.

 

"Gus was quite forthcoming.  The trains and the village were a good way to talk about things in the abstract before going into the personal.  As I am sure you know your son loves you both very much.  He idolizes his Grandmom Jen, who sounds like the perfect grandmother.

 

What he likes about this household is that things run smoothly.  No one shouts here, according to Gus.  There are meals on time, and no one tells him they need time for themselves.  Gus loves that his Papa is happy to have him in the studio, apparently his Mommy is more solitary in her art creation.

 

There is a great deal of tension at his mothers' house.  He feels like he is being used to watch JR too often and when she misbehaves it is often blamed on him.  Gus is developing a lot of bitterness toward his Mama and at the same time disappointment in his Mommy's lack of support.

 

My report will support your custodial custody of Gus."

 

Brian and Justin thanked her and went back to the family room just as Gus and his cousins appeared from the basement.  Daddy and Papa tried to carefully observe Gus without being too obvious.  He seemed to be acting normally.  A short time later John pulled his uncles aside and said they needed to stop staring at Gus.

 

The twins started to signal their hunger and Gus asked if he could feed Liam. John called dibs on feeding Lily.  Everyone laughed at the baby feeding competition.  Cassie prepared bottles and the household got back to normal.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Ted and Blake dropped Nina at Viola's apartment.  Ted was a little annoyed with Blake & Viola insisting Nina spend the night with her grandmother.  Viola and Blake felt that Nina was too insistent on her Teddy Man reading her a story EVERY night.  Ted didn't see this issue when Nina first refused to spend the night with her grandmother.  Viola told Nina she was spending the night and Blake backed her up.  A tearful Nina appealed to her Teddy Man but the look he got from Blake meant Teddy Man refused to overturn Viola's decision.

 

Ted parked the car down the street from Debbie's house.  He turned to Blake with a smile.

 

"So are we ready for this?"

 

Blake returned the smile and squeezed Ted's hand.

 

"It will be fine."

 

They walked down the street hand in hand and up to Debbie's door.  Ted knocked and a couple moments later Carl answered the door.  He was surprised to see who was standing on the porch.  He swung the door open while calling to Debbie.

 

Debbie and Joe walked out of the kitchen.  Debbie came over to deliver her signature hugs.

 

"This is a nice surprise.  What brings you boys here tonight?"

 

Ted stood with his arm around Blake's waist.  He couldn't help wondering what possessed him to volunteer for this mission.

 

Ted suggested they all sit down.  Carl sat beside Debbie on the couch.  Ted sat in a chair with Blake perched on the arm on the chair.  Joe sat in another chair.

 

"I was down to talk to Brian and Justin today.  I was concerned about how Melanie acted when I took JR back home after a playdate at the park with Nina.  She accused me of arranging the playdate so I could spy for Brian."

 

Carl & Debbie looked at each other their amazement was obvious from their expressions.

 

"When I was at their house Brian and Justin shared some information with me.  They wanted to be sure you knew that they have filed papers to assume primary custody of Gus.  They planned to come here and tell you.  I thought they had enough on their hands with the twins and Gus to take care of so I said I would come and tell you."

 

Debbie burst into tears and Carl put his arms around her.  Joe came over and sat on the other side of Debbie and gently patted her arm.  Ted looked like he might make a run for it.  Blake went over and knelt in front of the couch.

 

"Deb, Brian and Justin really felt like they had no choice.  Melanie's behavior has been getting stranger and stranger.  They have to think about what is best for Gus.  You know how concerned Brian is that Gus have a happy childhood."

 

Debbie shook her head.

 

"I know they have to do this.  I talked to Jen and she told me about the fucked-up stunt that Mel pulled on Saturday.  I can't imagine why she would try and interfere with Gus going to Brian's for his scheduled visit.  I just know how those boys must feel having to do this.  I know their first concern is Gus.

 

Carl and I have talked about JR, although Mel is better with her. I think Mel is transferring her dislike of Brian to Gus.  God knows he is so much like his Daddy.  Carl and I are too old to take on a very determined five-year-old. 

 

I know things wouldn't be better if she was with Michael and Ben.  They still have their issues and I'm aware Michael is not ready to be a full-time father.  I know the mistakes I made there but I always tried to do my best.  I just think I tried too hard to make up for Michael not having a father.

 

Carl pulled Debbie close.

 

"Red.  Everyone knows how much love you have inside.  You always try to do your best for everyone.  You can tell how much Brian and Justin care about you.  They were concerned you know about what they are doing."

 

He finished with a kiss.  Debbie turned to Joe who was looking very upset.  She smiled at him.

 

"My sweet boy.  I'm okay but thank you for worrying about me."

 

Joe gave her a kiss on the cheek.  Blake moved back to the chair with Ted.  Deb managed a smile.

 

"Thanks to you both for coming her.  I really fucking appreciate you caring enough to do this.  Let Sunshine and the asshole know I understand, and I love them."

 

Blake and Ted got up to leave.  Debbie gave them both a hug and kiss and Carl shook their hands and thanked them for coming.

 

Once they got to the car Ted called and told a surprised and pleased Brian about the visit with Debbie.  When Ted disconnected Blake reminded him, they had the house to themselves.  Ted quickly drove home.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

The next morning Melanie got into the office early to finish up her packet for the court.  She was honest enough to know she wasn't making a perfect case but felt it was more important to get the jump on Brian.  She was determined to file her custody request first.  Once they had custody of Gus back, she didn't care how long the court case dragged out.

 

Melanie emailed a legal messenger service to have them send someone to deliver her custody packet to the Allegheny County Courthouse.  Once that was taken care of Melanie started on the pile of work on her desk.

 

Shortly after the office opened, a messenger was directed to Melanie's admin's desk.

 

"I need to see Melanie Marcus."

 

The admin buzzed Mel who appeared a minute later holding the envelope she thought the messenger was there to deliver. Instead he handed Mel an envelope and announced she had been served.  With a sinking feeling in her stomach Mel ripped open the envelope.  She read the cover and screamed.

 

"That rotten, god damned, fucking son of a bitch."

 

The messenger ran out the main door and everyone else in the office turned to look at Melanie.  She walked back into her office and slammed the door.

 

Bernice made her way down to Mel's office.  She gave a quick knock and walked inside.

 

Mel was just finishing a profanity filled message in Brian's cell phone.  Without asking permission Bernice picked up the cover sheet that lay crumpled on Mel's desk.  Most of the legal work that had been on the desk had been swept to the floor by Mel.

 

Bernice scanned the cover sheet.

 

"Ms Marcus I advised you to reach a compromise with Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor.  I can see that you didn't take my advice.  Your outburst was unprofessional, and any repeat of that behavior will not be tolerated."

 

"Listen I know you want to throw your weight around and tell me I was wrong not to compromise with that bastard Brian Kinney, but I am not in the mood!  This is my personal business and is not subject to your directives.

 

Do us both a favor and just go back to your office and let me handle my own problems."

 

"Who do you think you are talking to.  I don't give a rat's ass about your personal life.  You seem unwilling or unable to separate your personal life from what occurs in this office.  Do NOT ever presume to tell me to go back to my office.

 

If you are at all interested in continuing to be employed here, you will get yourself under control.  You will straighten up this office and at three o'clock you will present yourself at my office.  I will expect to hear a full update on all the cases you are currently working on. 

 

If I am satisfied that you are up to date on your work; we will discuss the possibility of you continuing to be employed here.  If all your cases are not up to date, please just pack up your personal belonging and get out."

 

Bernice walked out of Mel's office slamming the door as she left.