Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hope everyone is doing OK during this extraordinary time.  Stay safe!!

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 15

 

Early Sunday afternoon Ted delivered JR back to her mothers.  He and Blake had taken her and Nina out to breakfast and then to the park.  Viola joined them at the park and had enjoyed watching the girls race around chased by Blake and pushed on the swings by Nina's Teddy Man.  Viola still thought that was a ridiculous name but had accepted that she was never going to get Nina to change it nor did Ted seem interested in being called anything else.

 

Lindsay opened the door to find a smiling Ted carrying a half-asleep JR in his arms.

 

"Hi Linds.  I think this tired little girl belongs to you."

 

Lindsay laughed.

 

"Would you mind taking her up to her bedroom.  Looks like she will be out for a while."

 

Ted happily carried JR up and laid her on the bed.  Lindsay followed him and she took off JR's sneakers, placed Mr Rabbit within easy reach and pulled a light cover over her.

 

When they came out into the hall Mel was just leaving her home office.

 

"Hi Ted.  Do you have time for a cup of coffee or is Blake waiting in the car?"

 

"Hi Mel.  No Blake is home with Nina, who was also ready for a nap.  I'd love a cup of coffee.  We hardly ever see each other anymore."

 

The three of them walked downstairs together.  On the first floor Lindsay turned towards the Living Room.

 

"I'll let you two have a visit.  I am working on something in my studio."

 

Ted followed Mel into the kitchen.  She turned on the Mr Coffee before taking the lid of a cake dish on the table.

 

"Have a seat Teddy.  We got that coffee cake at the LGBT center bake sale yesterday.  It is pretty good."

 

While the coffee brewed Mel got flatware, cups and plates from the cupboard and placed them on the table.  She poured the coffee before she sat across from Ted.

 

"Did the girls behave?"

 

Ted was a little surprised by that opening.

 

"They had a lot of fun running around the park.  We spent a lot of time on the swings.  JR is more daring than Nina.  Nina definitely has a height limit for swinging.  JR feels the higher the better.  Viola met us there and she really enjoyed the girls.

 

Blake taught them how to do cartwheels and tried to teach me.  I thought Viola was going to fall out of her chair, she was laughing so hard.  I really enjoy seeing Nina and Viola let loose and enjoy themselves.  I don't think they have had many good times."

 

Mel smiled at the excited expression on Ted's face when he talked about Nina.

 

"That little girl has made a big change in your life hasn't she."

 

"You know Blake and I very happy before we had Nina live with us but now it is a whole new level of happy.  She is just a delight to both of us."

 

"I understand that.  Children make such a difference.  So much responsibility but hopefully the rewards will be worth it in the future."

 

Ted took a sip of coffee and looked at his old friend.

 

"Do you really think you have to wait for the rewards?  Every little accomplishment Nina makes seems like such a huge reward to me."

 

"I just mean you are never sure how the kids will turn out.  Will they be adults who contribute to the world."

 

Ted was surprised by Mel's view of parenthood.  He felt his own idea of parenthood was shallower but more fun.  He truly enjoyed every moment he spent with Nina.  The first time she sat on his lap while listening to one of his favorite arias and she turned to him with a smile and said:

 

"That was really pretty Teddy Man.  Can we listen to another song like that?"

 

Ted almost cried with joy.  All he hoped for Nina was that she be happy.

 

"You are a deeper thinker than me Mel.  I just want Nina to be happy.  I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what she will do with her life."

 

Mel shrugged.

 

"I guess you heard about the fiasco of Gus being taken off to Washington yesterday."

 

Ted was genuinely confused.

 

"JR didn't say anything about Gus going to his fathers."

 

"You didn't talk to Brian?"

 

Ted just looked at his old friend.

 

"Mel, excuse me but I have no idea what in the world you are talking about.  Why would I have talked with Brian.  Even though he is taking time off for the twins, he is still checking emails and Cynthia and I have the occasional conference call with him.  I would have no reason to call him on the weekend."

 

"I thought maybe Brian had called you to suggest the play date today.  You could judge how we are reacting to Jennifer's actions yesterday."

 

Now Ted was annoyed.

 

"I called to arrange a play date to amuse Nina.  My only purpose was to have a fun time with the girls.  I resent you intimating that I am at Brian's beck and call."

 

"Well you do work for him.  You probably had to arrange payment for whoever he has watching our home."

 

Ted stood up and glared at Melanie.

 

"I know that this was Gus's weekend to spend down in Washington and that Brian was looking forward to Gus's visit.  I have no idea why Brian would want to have someone watch your house and I have not arranged any payments.  You make me sound like some kind of fixer for a crime boss.

 

I do not spy for Brian and quite frankly I can't envision him asking me to spy for him.  I am the CFO for several corporations Brian and Justin own.  I also handle their private accounting.  That means I know about all their assets and all the drains on those assets.  Therefore, I am aware just how much of a drain you and your family have been and continue to be.

 

I have talked to you before about your unhealthy fascination with Brian and your jealousy.  I did that because we have been friends for a long time, and I care about you and your happiness.  I also consider Brian and Justin to be my friends and I have tried my best to stay out of all the disagreements among you all. 

 

You have been trying your best to make Brian the villain of your life.  Now you are trying to cast me as some sort of lackey carrying out Brian's commands.  You NEED help!"

 

Ted started toward the front door and Mel followed him.

 

"Ted, I'm sorry.  I know you have been a good friend.  I'm just feeling overwhelmed and this custody situation isn't helping."

 

Ted stopped and turned.

 

"I have tried to be available for you but after this I am done.  Fuck you Mel!"

 

Those were Ted's parting words, he walked to the door and left without looking back.

 

When an agitated Ted got home, Blake asked him what was wrong.  When Ted related his conversation with Mel, Blake was furious.  He had never been a big fan of Mel's. He had always found her self-centered & condescending.  Ted was amused and touched by Blake's outrage.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Gus and Kevin created several finger-painting masterpieces under Justin's guidance.  After that Justin got some painting done while Gus and Kevin took turns reading to him.  Gus had carefully selected a story book that had few big words. 

 

Gus has told Kevin about "helping" his Papa to paint so Kevin was thrilled to be another helper.  Uncle Justin sometimes drew his bottom lip between his teeth and bit down lightly.  Gus whispered to his friend that meant Papa was thinking really hard about something.

 

Peter came upstairs to let them know lunch was ready.  When they got downstairs Brian and Tucker were just finishing up feeding up Lily & Liam.  Brian smiled over at Justin.  They arranged that he should stay with Gus and Kevin at bottle time.  They hoped Gus got the idea that time spent with him was just as important as feeding the babies.

 

Jennifer had cooked some chicken breasts and made a garden salad for lunch along with a huge bowl of cut up fresh fruit.  After lunch, since the day was warm and the pool water heated, everyone changed to swimsuits and spent some time in the pool.

 

A swaddled Liam and Lily got some fresh air on the patio sheltered by the awning.  Papa, Daddy, Grandmom and Grandpop all checked on the twins at different times.  Eventually Jennifer and Tucker went to the kitchen to organize dinner.  Jennifer decided on a roast pork with a honey citrus coating along with sweet potatoes, broccoli and string beans.  John offered to help but Grandmom Jen told him to have fun with his guest.

 

Gus and Kevin gave the twins their bottles before dinner.  They were assisted with burping by Brian and Justin.  Gus and Kevin enjoyed feeding the babies and felt very grown up to help.  Brian and Justin were impressed by the intensity the boys brought to feeding the babies.

 

After dinner Jennifer and Tucker left for home.  Everyone else headed to the media room to watch a DVD.  Peter, John and Patrick sprawled on the floor with big pillows.  Brian and Justin sat together on the couch.  Gus snuggled against his Daddy and Kevin was glued to Uncle Justin's side.  The older boys shared a big bowl of popcorn.  Another large bowl was passed between the occupants of the couch.

 

When the movie was over Brian took Gus and Kevin for a snack before going upstairs to get their bath.  Justin felt obliged to ask John again if he was sure he and Patrick wanted to do the overnight feedings.

 

John groaned dramatically.

 

"So Uncle Justin, do you just not trust us to give Liam and Lily their bottles?"

 

"Of course I trust you.  It's just that you'll have to get up a couple times tonight.  I don't want to take advantage of you guys."

 

Patrick and John rolled their eyes and Peter laughed.

 

"Papa, is it even possible to take advantage of someone who volunteers to do something?"

 

Justin chuckled.

 

"I guess not.  Thanks guys I appreciate you volunteering for overnight baby duty."

 

Justin went up to read a bedtime story to Gus and Kevin.  Kevin told Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin that he loved coming to their house because it was always so much fun here.  Brian smiled and escaped.  Justin gave Kevin a hug and said they enjoyed having him visit.

 

The boys lasted for two full stories from the book Gus had chosen before they dropped off to sleep.  Justin went into the master bedroom.  Brian was working on his laptop but looked up as Justin walked towards him.

 

"That Kevin is really a great kid.  Like Mother Taylor always says he is just all love."

 

Justin leaned down to deliver a kiss to his partner. 

 

"He really is.  What are you working on?"

 

"Just making some notes for our call with the lawyers tomorrow.  We're doing the right thing aren't we?'

 

Justin sat in Brian's lap.

 

"Yes, we are doing what is best for Gus.  Melanie and Lindsay need to get their act together.  We can't let them fuck up Gus while they straighten themselves out."

 

Brian pulled Justin close.

 

"What would I do without you Sunshine."

 

"Lucky for you; you have me."

 

Their conversation was interrupted by noises from the baby monitor.   Daddy and Papa hurried to the nursery to feed the twins their bottles and spend some time with them.  Lily & Liam seemed to be especially adorable and kept their fathers amused until they fell asleep.

 

Brian delivered the baby monitor to John & Patrick and suggested they go to bed early.  After Brian went back upstairs, Peter let his brother know he was available, if there was anything, short of dealing with diapers, he could do to help with the babies overnight.

 

Brian was quite pleased to have a night of romance with no baby interruptions.  He started off with a bubble bath for two, followed by a blow job and ending with a spirited session of fucking.  An exhausted, satisfied Justin fell into a deep sleep.  Brian felt quite pleased with himself.  His favorite blond was curled against his side, his son asleep in his room.

 

John and Patrick were awakened twice by Lily and Liam.  The boys enjoyed their time with the babies.  They especially enjoyed holding the twins and rocking them back to sleep.   It made them feel very adult to be taking care of these cute little creatures who snuggled against them as they were rocked to sleep.

 

The next morning Gus and Kevin knocked on the Master Bedroom door and were told by Brian to come in.  Justin had a pillow over his face, which Gus pointed out to his friend and both boys giggled.  Brian helped the boys up onto the bed.  He asked how they slept and they both said they sleep well.  Brian chatted with Gus and Kevin.  Kevin stayed close to Brian but as he often did Gus leaned against his Papa's back while he talked to Daddy.

 

Kevin was fascinated by the unmoving Justin with his face covered by the pillow.  Gus looked over and nodded.

 

"I told you Kevin.  My Papa is usually a sleepyhead in the morning.  We'll go down to the kitchen with Daddy and bring Papa up his coffee.  That will wake him up."

 

Brian walked with the boys over to the nursery.  The crib was empty, and the bassinet was missing.  He smiled at Gus and Kevin.

 

"Looks like John and Patrick ae awake already.  The must have taken Liam and Lily downstairs."

 

When the trio got to the kitchen Peter and Patrick were feeding the twins while John was organizing breakfast in the kitchen.  Brian gave Peter a surprised look as he gave Lily her bottle.

 

Peter smiled at his uncle.

 

"John changed her diaper."

 

John poured a mug of coffee for Brian and a travel mug for Justin.  Brian sugared his mug and fixed Justin's coffee the way he liked it.  Gus and an excited Kevin took the mug back upstairs.

 

When they entered the bedroom, Gus put the travel mug on Justin's bedside table. 

 

"Papa, it's time to wake up.  Kevin and I brought you coffee."

 

Justin groaned and started to move.  Gus climbed up on the bed and reached a hand down to help Kevin up into the bed.  Justin threw the pillow off and sat up.  He told the boys "Good Morning" before grabbing the travel mug of coffee and taking a big sip.

 

Kevin and Gus brought Justin up to date on what was happening.  They let him know that Lily and Liam were downstairs and being fed by Peter and Patrick.  Gus let his Papa know that Peter didn't change any diapers which made him and Kevin laugh.  Eventually Gus mentioned that John was getting ready to make breakfast.  Justin knew that meant Gus was getting nervous about missing a John prepared breakfast.

 

Justin finished his coffee, made a quick trip to the bathroom and then went down to the kitchen with Gus and Kevin.  Justin went directly to Brian to get a good morning kiss.  Gus and Kevin looked at each other and smirked.  Next Justin checked on Liam and Lily who were just finishing their morning bottles.  Peter handed Lily to Papa and went over to help his brother with breakfast.

 

Brian supervised Gus and Kevin setting the table.  Patrick and Justin sat with the babies on a family room sofa.  Patrick looked over at Uncle Justin.

 

"Thanks for letting Kevin and me stay over.  Lily and Liam are really cute.  It was fun taking care of them with John last night."

 

Patrick was treated to a sunshine smile from Uncle Justin.

 

"You and Kevin are always welcome here.  We all enjoy spending time with you.  We should be the ones thanking you for taking care of the twins."

 

Patrick just smiled.  Liam grabbed Patrick's finger and attempted to get it into his mouth which made both Justin and Patrick laugh.

 

Alice arrived as breakfast was being served.   She was slightly surprised to see Kevin and Patrick still in residence.  Justin told her about John & Patrick taking night duty with the twins.  Alice smiled although still a little puzzled.  She figured she get the full story later from Justin.

 

After breakfast Alice announced she would do cleanup.  Patrick went up to the third floor with John to change and gather his belongings.  Brian took Gus and Kevin upstairs to get dressed and pack Kevin's belongings.

 

Justin let Alice know they wanted to give Gus another morning with his Daddy and Papa which is why the O'Brien boys hung out for another day.  He also let her know that he and Brian had a conference call later with their lawyers about getting primary custody of Gus.

 

Alice said she would bake cookies during their call to keep Gus occupied.  Cassie and her daughters arrived at the patio doors just as the front doorbell announced Roxanne had come to reclaim her sons.

 

Alice announced to Gus, Violet and Lucy that she was going to bake cookies and they could all help her.  Gus was a little put out by the additional helpers, but Alice told him she would need him to help show Violet and Lucy what to do since he had helped her bake cookies before.

 

Brian and Justin went to the study to prepare for their call with Larry and Anabel.   Justin could feel the tension radiating off Brian.  He took his partner's hand and was mildly surprised and very pleased when Brian squeezed his hand.  When the phone rang, Brian picked it up before the first ring stopped.

 

Brian told their lawyers about Meanie taking Gus to the store in an attempt to avoid Jennifer and Tucker.  Anabel said she couldn't believe Melanie would act so foolishly.  She said that Melanie can't be thinking straight if she thought she could win a battle with Jennifer.  They all chuckled at the truth of that statement.   Justin told them what Gus had confided to him.  Jennifer's information about the loft neighbor is what most excited both lawyers.

 

Much to Brian's dismay increased when Anabel insisted that Gus talk with a child psychologist.  At first, he refused but Justin was able to reason with him.  The fact that Melanie and Lindsay tried to move Gus to Florida without telling Brian and Justin was also a huge factor in a custody battle.

 

Anabel felt sure she could get a temporary custody order for Gus to stay with Brian and Justin until they could get a court date for final custody.  Brian told them that money was no object.  Larry chuckled.

 

"I think Anabel and I understood that Brian.  We have a good chance here, try not to drive yourself crazy."

 

That made Justin chuckle as they said good-bye. Brian attempted an annoyed look at his partner but couldn't quite pull it off.

 

"Sunshine, I don't think it is a good idea to let Debbie know about this yet.  I'll tell her once the temporary order is place.  You should call your mother and make sure she doesn't say anything to Debbie."

 

Justin agreed.  Brian went to check on Gus while Justin called his mother.

 

"Hi Mom, we just got off the phone with the lawyers.  They are hopeful about our chances to get primary custody of Gus."

 

"That's good honey.  I was just about to call you."

 

"What did you need Mom?"

 

Jennifer took a deep breath.

 

"Well, your grandmother got the photos you sent of the twins.  She loved them, of course.  She is going to come and see them."

 

Justin was confused.

 

"Grandmother Taylor contacted you and invited herself to come here?"

 

"No Justin.  My mother, your Grandmother Endicott, is coming to see Lily and Liam.  She is flying in at the end of this week."

 

Now Justin was amazed.

 

"Granny is going to fly?  The woman who insisted on traveling across the country by train when she moved in with Aunt Kate is going to fly."

 

"Well no one is more surprised than your Aunt Kate.  She somehow blames me for this trip.  You know Granny always loved you and now she is anxious to meet the twins and to stay with you and Brian."

 

Justin briefly put his head down on the desk before he could continue.

 

"Oh Mom, Brian is already on edge with this custody situation.  A visit from Granny is NOT going to be a good thing for him.   If she insists on coming couldn't she stay with you?"

 

"I did mention the legal issues to Granny.  Her response was that her only wish is to support you and wondered if you needed any money for the legal expenses.  I think I heard your Aunt Kate gasp when Granny said that."

 

That comment caused Justin to laugh.

 

"How is Aunt Kate taking the news of this trip?"

 

Jennifer sighed.

 

"You know my sister, since she is the oldest, had always considered herself the family Doyenne in waiting.  Having Mother under her roof enhanced her position.  I think she is thrown by this rebellion.  She is completely against this trip.  She called me after Granny and tried to be quite dictatorial which didn't really sit all that well with me.  I told her it was Granny's decision and as far as I knew she was in her right mind, so she was free to do whatever she wanted.  Kate was still sputtering when I hung up."

 

"But Mom, I don't know how I break this news to Brian.  He is going to go ballistic."

 

"I know.  I think the best thing is for Mother and I to stay in the pool house.  You can get some regular furniture out there.  We can say we thought it best not to make her go upstairs to bed.  That will give you and Brian a little breathing room.  If the weather is good, we can spend a lot of time on the patio."

 

Justin groaned but agreed before he hung up.

 

When he got down to the kitchen, cookie production was full swing.  It was a warm day, so Brian and Cassie were out on the patio with Liam and Lily.  Justin checked on cookie production before going outside.

 

Justin smiled at Cassie.  She and Brian were sitting by the bassinet looking down at the twins.

 

"Would you please give us a little privacy?"

 

She agreed, got up and went in the house quickly.

 

Brian grimaced as he looked over at his favorite blond.  Justin came over and sat in the chair vacated by Cassie.  Brian spoke first.

 

"Did Mother Taylor spill the beans to Debbie?"

 

"No!  Mom knew better than that.  Not sure I told you that I sent some photos of Liam and Lily to my grandmother in California.  She called Mom about them."

 

Brian was carefully scrutinizing Justin.

 

"Just what did your Grandmother have to say."

 

"I'm sure you remember me saying that I was always Granny's favorite grandchild."

 

"Yes.  I remember that and I remember you saying that someday you would like to go visit her since she refuses to fly.  This is NOT a good time for us to be going to California.  Granny will just have to wait a little longer for a visit."

 

Justin stared into the distance, not making any eye contact with Brian.

 

"Don't worry about that, there was no mention of us visiting Granny.  She is really anxious to see the twins."

 

"It's a long drive from California to Pennsylvania."

 

"Uh huh."

 

Brian reached over and turned Justin's head to face him eye to eye.

 

"Tell me!"

 

"Granny has shocked the whole family and decided to fly here for a visit.  Mom said my Aunt Kate is really upset about it.  Granny has never cared what anyone thought, she always does just what she wants."

 

Brian nodded but knew there was more to this story.

 

"So, your Granny is coming here to stay with Mother Taylor and will want to spend some time with our son and daughter, her great grandchildren.  Well the timing could be better, but I suspect I will need to be on important calls for most of time she visits."

 

"That would be a whole lot of phone calls."

 

Brian assumed his most annoyed expression.

 

"What does that mean?"

 

"Granny plans to stay with us.  Mom suggested we fix up the pool house some for her to stay in there.  That will give us some privacy."

 

"NO!"

 

"Brian I cannot tell my Grandmother that she can't stay with us.  She is anxious to get to know you and her great grandchildren."

 

"FUCK NO!"

 

"Mom said Granny knows about the custody battle for Gus and offered us money if we needed it."

 

"We don't need her money.  NO!"

 

"Mom is planning to stay here too.  That way she can distract Granny as much as possible."

 

Brian raised his eyes to heaven.

 

"Is that supposed to make me feel better.  Your grandmother AND your mother both living with us does not make me feel even a little better."

 

"Well it is going to happen.  You will just have to make the best of it."

 

Brian was silent for several minutes.

 

"I AM NOT HAPPY WITH YOU!"

 

Justin gave Brian a sunshine smile.

 

"Lucky for me, you so adore me."

 

Brian uttered what could only be described as a growl. Justin couldn't help thinking how Emmett often referred to Brian as an old bear. 

 

Justin stood and settled on Brian's lap before kissing him.  Brian couldn't resist him.

 

"You drive me crazy."

 

Justin just laughed and kissed him again.  Alice had been trying to observe what was happening on the patio without being too obvious.  She wasn't sure what the issue was but she could tell Justin came out ahead.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

On Monday morning Melanie got to work on her legal brief to overturn the custody agreement she and Lindsay had signed with Brian.  She was going forward with their assertion that the agreement was signed under duress.  She wanted to get the jump on Brian.  Melanie planned to file her custody dispute before Brian had any idea what was going on.

 

The Florida move had been derailed by Jennifer Taylor overhearing their meeting with a real estate agent.  Gus had also used his cell phone to alert his father.  This time there would be no forewarning before Brian got served with legal papers.

 

Melanie wished she could be there to see Brian's face when he realized Gus will have to be returned home immediately.  She was sure the court would return Gus to them during the legal battle.   Melanie planned to stretch out the legal maneuverings for as long as possible.

 

She smiled thinking how annoyed Jennifer Taylor and Brian would be when they were unable to stop her.

 

QAF-QAF-QAF-QAF

 

Meanwhile Anabel had her staff working on her own legal challenge to Gus's custody.  A paralegal had already gathered information from the loft neighbors.  Staff members had gotten confirmation from the Pittsburgh police on how many times they had been called out to the loft by neighbors.

 

Investigators had also interviewed Lindsay and Melanie's current neighbors.  Police had not been called but one next door neighbor gave a statement that said she often heard raised voices when Melanie was at home.

 

An appointment was made to have a child psychologist talk to Gus at home the next day.  Brian and Justin felt it would be less traumatic for Gus to meet with the psychologist at home.

 

A paralegal got Jennifer's testimony about her encounter with Melanie at the grocery store.  Tucker gave an account of Lindsay needing a key from Melanie to retrieve Gus's cell phone.   They already had Jennifer's testimony about overhearing Melanie & Lindsay's meeting with a real estate agent when they planned to move out of state.

 

Also, in Anabel's file was information on all the financial help Brian and Justin had provided to Gus's mothers.  There was also payroll information showing the extension of Lindsay's healthcare.  Privacy laws prevented easy access to her medical records, but it raised a red flag about why the coverage had to be extended.

 

Overtime costs were adding up but Anabel was determined to file her appeal to alter custody at the Washington County Courthouse the next morning.  She knew things would be handled faster in Washington than in Allegheny County.

 

At home Brian and Justin concentrated on family matters.  Gus and Brian spent time in the train room.  Peter decided he liked giving his baby cousins their bottles but left diaper changing to Cassie.  Justin brought Alice up to date on what happened over the weekend and today.  He wasn't surprised but was pleased when Alice said she and Charlie were ready to help in any way they could.

 

Late in the afternoon Gus spent time with his Papa in the studio.  He read to Papa while he painted and after that they spent time relaxing on the studio daybed and talking.  This went down as another great day in Gus's record book.  Kevin visiting, cookie baking and time with both Daddy and Papa.  He was interested but curious when Papa told him a lady was coming tomorrow to talk with him.  Papa said it was not a big deal and Gus should just answer whatever questions the lady asked him honestly.

 

John, Peter & Gus were all interested to learn that Justin's grandmother, Grandmom Jen's mother, was coming to visit.  They were much more positive about that event than Brian had been.  Dinner was salmon grilled by Brian with a pasta & vegetable salad.  Homemade cookies made a good dessert.  John and Peter played Fish with Gus after dinner while Brian and Justin concentrated on the twins.  The entire household retired early to bed.  Daddy & Papa were back to nighttime baby duty.