Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 13

 

Tucker knew that Jennifer was livid.  He admired how she put on a happy face for Gus's sake.  In the back-seat Gus had a big smile on his face, happy to be on his way to his Daddy's house and to be spending time with Grandmom Jen..

 

"It was lucky that you stopped at that store Grandmom Jen.  Momma told me that she didn't think Daddy and Papa would have time for me to visit this weekend.

 

I told her that I help with Liam and Lily and that Daddy and Papa always had time to spend with me.  Momma told me that Daddy is selfish, and I needed to understand he cared mostly about himself.  I told her that I knew my Daddy loved me and that Papa loved me too.  I don't understand why Momma says stuff like that to me.  I always tell her she is wrong when she says silly stuff like that."

 

Tucker gave a quick look at Jennifer and even though her smile never faded, tension & rage radiated off her.

 

She turned to Gus, smile firmly in place.

 

"Your Momma is very silly to say things like that to you.  I am so proud of you for telling her she is wrong.  You know your Daddy and Papa love you very much.  They always want to spend time with you.  Now that Liam and Lily have arrived that just means our family has more love to share."

 

Gus smiles back at his "love" Grandmother.

 

"I know Grandmom Jen!  You always tell us the more people that we have to love means the more love there is to share.  I love Lily and Liam.  I like helping take care of them and am going to be the best big brother that I can."

 

Jennifer's smile got bigger as she looked at Gus.

 

"You are already a GREAT big brother.  Liam and Lily are lucky to have you as their big brother because you are such a special boy.  I am so proud to be your Grandmother."

 

Gus's grin went ear to ear, and he sat up taller in his booster seat.  He loved Grandmom Jen so much and her telling him she was proud to be his Grandmother thrilled Gus.  This morning he had been disappointed to be told he wouldn't be going to his fathers' house.  He couldn't get over how lucky it was that Grandmom Jen went to the same grocery that Momma made him go to this morning.  His day really improved after that meeting.

 

As was his habit, when riding in a car, Gus watched out his window and hummed a song.  He always enjoyed the trip to Washington.  He liked recognizing landmarks along the way which told him they were getting closer and closer to home.

 

When they got to the house, Gus unlocked his seat belt and was off like a shot.  A chuckling Jennifer & Tucker followed behind.  The front door was left wide open, and they could hear Gus in the Family Room.

 

John and Justin were sitting on the sofa.  John was giving Liam his bottle and Justin was feeding his daughter.  Gus was busy examining his siblings, walking between the two.  He looked over at Grandmom Jen.

 

"Liam and Lily have gotten bigger since the last time I saw them.  Papa says that babies change all the time.  Come see them.  They are still really cute.  I love them so much!"

 

Cassie's daughters came into the room carrying clean clothes for the babies, followed by their mother.  Gus was surprised to see the girls.  Brian wandered in from the kitchen, feeling a little put out since Gus had not greeted him before zeroing in on the newest additions to the family.

 

Brian introduced Gus to Lucy & Violet along with Cassie.  Gus gave them all a smile and a hello but had little interest in them.  Lucy & Violet already had crushes on John and had little interest in a young boy like Gus.  After all they were 12 & 10 years old and Gus had only recently turned 8.

 

John smiled at Gus who was intently watching Liam drink his bottle.

 

"Why don't you come sit next to me Gus.  I'm sure Liam would like his big brother spending some time with him."

 

Gus happily clamored up on the sofa and snuggled next to John.  He closely scrutinized his new brother.

 

"Liam looks different from the last time I saw him."

 

John nodded.

 

"I know the twins seem to change a little every day.  Lily still looks just like her Papa, but Liam has really changed in looks."

 

Gus nodded.

 

"You're lucky John.  You get to see Liam and Lily every day.  I miss seeing them when I'm not here."

 

"Well you get to stay for two weeks now.  For their next bottles how about, you feed Liam and I'll feed Lily?"

 

Gus's eye opened wide with wonder.

 

"That would be so cool John!"

 

Justin had been listening from the other end of the couch. 

 

"That sounds like a great idea to me"

 

Gus looked over at his Papa, an expression of sheer joy on his face.  Justin gave him a sunshine smile and Brian looked on proudly. 

 

Jennifer smiled at her family, she planned to lobby hard for Justin & Brian to go for primary custody of Gus.  She felt that would be best for all concerned.  Brian looked over at her and she could see the concern on his face.  She could cheerfully choke the life out of Melanie.  She turned to Tucker.

 

"Keep the car keys away from me.  I can't guarantee I won't drive up to the city and murder Melanie."

 

Tucker smiled uneasily and assured Jennifer he would hold on to the car keys.  He wasn't 100% sure if she was joking or not.   After carefully scrutinizing her newest grandchildren, Jennifer moved on to the kitchen to prepare lunch.

 

Tucker came out to the kitchen to assist Jennifer.  Alice always kept a variety of food on hand.  Jennifer located a baked ham and a roast beef tenderloin in the refrigerator.  She got both of those out and started Tucker on slicing the meat for sandwiches.

 

Peter got the job of getting condiments.  Jennifer pulled out several varieties of cheese before slicing homemade rye and wheat bread for sandwiches.  Meanwhile Brian put a pot of water on to boil some pasta.  While waiting for the pasta to cook Brian cut up some fresh vegetables.

 

Since there was so much family help on hand, Cassie announces she and her daughters were going home.  Peter took drink orders and Gus came out to fill glasses with ice before Peter filled them. 

 

Jennifer took the opportunity to ask Brian why Cassie was at the house on a Saturday.  Brian told her they weren't sure if they would have come and help her with Gus, so they asked Cassie to be on hand.  Jennifer chuckled and whispered in Brian's ear.

 

"If the day come when I can't handle Melanie just put me out to pasture."

 

Once bottles were consumed and the twins were burped, Justin and John got their diapers changed.  New outfits were put on Lily & Liam before they went into their bassinet for a nap.

 

Jennifer tried not to be obvious as she watched Brian expertly assemble a pasta salad.  He did notice her watching and gave her a grin.

 

"See I still have the ability to surprise you, Mother Taylor."

 

Tucker laughed as Jennifer blushed in embarrassment.

 

"You are truly a man of many talents Brian.  I am happy to discover one more."

 

Brian came over and gave Jennifer a kiss on the cheek which caused her blush to deepen.

 

A curious Gus came over to see what was happening.  Brian looked down at his son.

 

"Hey Sonny Boy.  Guess what; Grandmom Jen didn't know that your Daddy was a master salad maker."

 

Gus looked up at Grandmom Jen.

 

"Papa always gets Daddy to help with salads.  He says Daddy always get the amount of dressing just right.  My Daddy can do lots of stuff really good."

 

Brian scooped up his son for a hug and kiss.

 

"Thanks Sonny Boy!  You are always looking out for your old man."

 

"That's cause I really love you lots and lots Daddy."

 

Brian had a huge smile on his face.  Justin came over and wrapped his arms around Brian & Gus.  This was one the Gus's favorite places to be.  Nestled between his fathers.

 

"I told Momma she was silly to worry about my Daddy and Papa not having time to spend with me."

 

Justin spoke up.

 

"That's right Little Man.  Daddy and I will always want to spend time with you.!"

 

Everyone dug into lunch.  Grandmom Jen made sandwiches for Gus, Peter and Tucker.  Brian, Justin and John made their own sandwiches which puzzled Gus.  He couldn't imagine not wanting Grandmom Jen to make your sandwich because she made "awesome" sandwiches.

 

Once Jennifer made her own sandwich she settled into a chair between Gus & Tucker that they had "saved" for her.  Everyone enjoyed Brian's pasta salad and Jennifer agreed that it had the perfect amount of Alice's homemade dressing.

 

After everyone was done with lunch Jennifer suggested that since it was such a nice day, the boys should spend some time outside.  John took the hint and suggested a walk to the creek to see how the tadpoles were developing.  Peter ran upstairs to get his camera before the three boys set out on their adventure.

 

The adults quickly took care of cleanup before sitting at the kitchen table.  Jennifer had a mug of tea, her favorite "discussion" beverage.  Once they were all seated, she started the discussion.

 

"Justin and Brian, you must get primary custody of Gus.  I think Melanie is losing her mind.  I know she has been under a lot of pressure but this secretive behavior and trying to keep Gus away for you is wrong.

 

She is doing her best to damage your relationship with Gus.  His phone, that you bought him, was in a locked drawer.  Lindsay had to go up to Mel's home office to get the key for that drawer.  She told Gus again that you did not have time for him.

 

Honestly to me this attempt to spoil the wonderful relationship Gus has with both of you is criminal.  I had trouble not just choking Melanie at the supermarket.  To take Gus there, in an attempt to hide him, is just so wrong.  She tried to be self-righteous about you having their house watched.  I was astounded."

 

Justin started to say something, but Brian put his hand on his partner's arm.

 

"Well Jennifer, don't hold back.  Just tell us what you think.  I know Melanie is a problem, but I am not sure the solution is to completely disrupt Gus's life.  He is used to living with his mothers and his sister.  Even if he enjoys being here for visits; is living here most of the time the best thing for Gus?"

 

"Honey, I know you want what is best for Gus.  I think you are underestimating the damage that Melanie can do.  I believe she is overstressed by everything going on in her life.  She is looking around to find someone to blame and she has decided you are to blame.

 

We are all aware of how much Gus looks like you and how much he wants to be like you.  Gus idolizes you.  The problem is that if Melanie is blaming you for all her life issues, she has a living breathing reminder of you living in her house.  I think she loves Gus.  She has convinced herself that she must reduce or eliminate your influence on Gus.

 

Brian you are a wonderful man.  You aren't perfect but you are an excellent example to Gus.  He wants to be just like you and Melanie thinks that is the worst thing that could happen.  Pardon my language but in my opinion that leads to an unhappy, fucked up Gus!"

 

Brian sat back in his chair.  He was slightly stunned by what Jennifer had to say.  He had not considered that aspect of Gus's custody.

 

Justin leaned into Brian's side.

 

"Well Mom, that is an interesting take on this whole situation.  Neither Brian nor I have considered that Melanie could do permanent emotional damage to Gus.  It is true that Mel criticizes Brian in front of Gus, and we are aware he doesn't like it.  I guess we were naïve and didn't connect the dots."

 

Jennifer got up and came around the table.  She out her arms around Brian and Justin.  She could feel Brian's body stiffen.

 

"I'm sorry Brian.  I know this makes you uncomfortable. I love you both so much and I love Gus.  I absolutely believe he should live here with you.  I apologize if I am overstepping here but I have the best intentions in the world."

 

Brian reached up and patted Jennifer's arm.  She released her hold on her "sons" and went back to her chair.  Tucked gave her a kiss on the cheek.

 

"Needless to say; Tucker and I will do anything we can to help you.  Whatever you decide."

 

Justin looked across the table of the woman he knew so well.  He chuckled.

 

"Like you won't continue to help us make the "correct" decision."

 

Jennifer's expression, partially resigned partially hopeful, even made Brian smile.

 

Justin continued to lean against Brian.  Jennifer and Tucker retired to the family room.  Brian sighed.

 

"Sunshine, would you please call Larry Buchanan.  I guess we need to be prepared when we finally make our decision."

 

Justin gave Brian a quick kiss, met his mother's glance with a smile and continued down the hall to the study.

 

A few minute later an excited Gus burst through the doors from the patio.  He ran over to Brian.

 

"Daddy!  It was so awesome.  John and Peter knew right where to go to see the tadpoles.  They are turning into frogs.  Peter took some pictures and he is going to give me some.  I love my cousins they are so much fun.  It is always so much fun to come and stay with you and Papa."

 

Gus excited report given at a loud volume stirred his brother and sister who started to fuss.  Jennifer went over to sooth Lily & Liam. 

 

A stricken Gus looked at his Daddy.

 

"I'm sorry I woke up the babies."

 

Brian picked up Gus and gave him a hug.

 

"Sonny Boy you didn't do anything wrong.  You know that Papa says that Liam and Lily have to get used to noise during the day.  I bet they recognized your voice and were anxious to spend some time with you."

 

Brian stood up with Gus still in his arms just as a smiling John & Peter came into the house.  They looked over at Grandmom Jen singing softly to her youngest grandchildren. 

 

Brian walked over with Gus.

 

"Let's help Grandmom Jen get the twins back to sleep.  You know this lullaby.  We must sing very softly."

 

Brian started to sing quietly, and Gus joined in.  Jennifer had her own version of a sunshine smile on her face.  She gently stroked the babies and they did settle down.

 

Brian gave Gus a hug and put him down.

 

"See Sonny Boy!  Your brother and sister liked us singing to them.  You were a big help.  Thanks!"

 

Gus leaned against Daddy's leg and smiled up at him.  Justin came down the hall and Gus ran over to him.  In a much quieter voice, he told his Papa about the tadpoles they saw.

 

"I was kind of loud when I told Daddy about the creek.  I woke up Lily and Liam.  It's okay because Daddy and Grandmom Jen and me sung them a lullaby and they went back to sleep.  So, you don't have to be upset."

 

Justin stooped down to Gus's level.

 

"Little Man, it is no big deal for the twins to be awake in the daytime.  At night we do like them to sleep.  I would never be upset with you if you talk too loud.  Never, ever think you are less important in this house than Liam and Lily.  Gus you are our son we could not love you anymore than we do."

 

Gus tightened his hug with his Papa.  Lately with his mothers he was feeling like he was always doing something wrong.  It made Gus feel super happy for his Daddy and Papa to assure him he didn't do anything wrong.

 

Justin could feel Gus relax in his arms.  He looked up at Brian.  He could see Brian was having the same concerns as he was.  Next, he looked over at his mother.  Jennifer had her standard "told you so" expression on her face.

 

Tucker suggested that he and Gus go down to the train room for a while.  That was always something Gus was ready for.  They disappeared downstairs.

 

John and Peter came over to their uncles.  John spoke first.

 

"The little guy couldn't stop talking about how happy he was to be here for two weeks.  He told us a couple times that we were lucky to live here all the time.  He just seems different than usual."

 

Peter nodded.

 

"Gus asked a couple times how he could help with the babies.  I felt like he thought he was kind of intruding by being here.  I told him I didn't like diapers and that John was way more help with the babies.  He asked if you guys got upset about that.  

 

Papa I think you should talk with Gus.  He confides in you more than Uncle Brian.  He never wants to disappoint Uncle Brian."

 

Brian thanked the boys for being honest.  He looked over at Jennifer who just shrugged.

 

"Thanks Mother Taylor for not actually saying you were right.  Even though you certainly delivered that message."

 

Jennifer laughed and embarrassed Brian by coming over and giving him a hug.

 

"Brian you ARE my son and Gus in MY grandson.  I love you both so much and want you both to be happy."

 

Brian smirked.  "Okay Mom, Thanks."

 

Gus cheerfully went about his day; he seemed to be unaware that all the other residents of the house were observing him.  He was delighted to sit on the couch with John and give his baby brother his bottle.  Gus watched John carefully to mimic what his cousin did while feeding Lily.  He got a couple pointers from Grandmom Jen and remembered most of the instructions Papa gave him the first time he handled bottle feeding.

 

Daddy took care of burping Sunbeam.  Gus was pleased that he was still his Daddy's only Sonny Boy.  He loved his brother a lot but was not interested in sharing Daddy's special name for him.

 

After baby feeding Grandmom Jen and Tucker played fish with Gus and after that John played some video games with him.  As far as Gus was concerned the day might not have started out great but it was turning out to be awesome.

 

Lily & Liam got their late afternoon bottle from their Daddy & Papa.  After the babies were settled pizza was ordered for dinner along with a garden salad that Gus helped his Papa and Daddy prepare.  After dinner the whole family watched a DVD and had popcorn.  Grandmom Jen started a popcorn throwing fight that everyone joined.  There was lots of laughter before Brian called an end to the battles and insisted they clean up the media room.

 

Jennifer agreed and led the gathering of the thrown popcorn into one of the empty bowls.  Once the bowl was full, she surprised Brian and delighted everyone else by emptying the bowl over his head.  Brian shook his head with a serious expression on his face.  He looked Jennifer directly in the face.  "Et tu Mother Taylor".

 

Even Gus laughed at that statement, although he had no idea what he was laughing at.  Brian gathered up his laughing Sonny Boy and said it was time for Gus's bath.

 

Jennifer said that she & Tucker would clean up the popcorn.  Tucker assumed a mock horrified expression but got down on his hands and knees to gather popcorn.  John & Peter joined in the effort.  Justin escaped, saying he had to get ready to read Gus a story.

 

Jennifer announced to Brian and Justin that she and Tucker were doing overnight baby duty and demanded the baby monitor got put in the guest bedroom.  She was pleased she got no argument from Brian and Justin.  Brian was looking forward to a "romantic" evening with his partner.

 

The romantic evening started with a bubble bath and wine.  The following shower included blow jobs before the main event in the bedroom.  Brian kissed every inch of Justin's body before giving him a through rim job. 

 

Justin repaid all that attention by having Brian lay on their bed and kissing his way down the front of Brian's body.  Once Justin had Brian completely hard, he climbed on board his lover and rode his cock until they both came.  Justin collapsed onto Brian.  He stayed wrapped in Brian's arms until their breathing returned to normal.

 

After the main event the partners returned to the bathroom for a cleanup shower before snuggling in bed.  They were both completely satisfied and exhausted, and it was nice to know their night would be undisturbed.  They put on T shirts and boxers, so they were ready for Gus's morning visit.

 

Brian and Justin lay entwined on their bed while they discussed their plan for the next morning.  They both felt Gus would want to discuss things with his Papa in the morning.  Justin cautioned Brian to take a long time in the bathroom to give him time to talk with Gus.  Finally, they drifted off to sleep.

 

The next morning a knock on the bedroom door announced Gus's arrival.  Justin pulled a pillow over his face as Brian told his Sonny Boy to come in.   Gus smiled to see his Papa hiding under the pillow.  He snuggled with his Daddy and talked about all the things they could do during Gus's two-week visit. 

 

Chief among Gus's plans was time in the pool.  It had been uncovered for the season and the heater brought the water temperature to a comfortable level.  Eventually Justin moved the pillow and sat up.  Gus gave him a good morning hug and kiss.  Brian said he was going to get a shower and shave.  He left Justin and Gus to talk.

 

Gus happily snuggled against his Papa and Justin put his arm around the little boy pulling him close.  Gus looked up into Justin's face.

 

"Can we have a serious talk Papa?"

 

"Little Man you know you can always talk with me and tell me whatever you have on your mind."

 

Gus sighed and settled back on the pillows behind him.

 

"I don't understand Mama lately.  She acts funny and she is always saying stuff about you and Daddy.  It seems like she wants me to think you and Daddy don't want me around now that Liam and Lily are born.  I tried talking to Mommy about it but she is different.  Not unhappy like she was for a while but still different than she used to be.

 

Mama saw on my phone that I called Daddy from school.  She asked me if I told him about that Florida move.  I told her I wanted to be sure he knew where I was going.   Mama got mad but Mommy told her it wasn't right to have secrets.  Mama wasn't as mad but she made me give her my phone to keep."

 

Justin moved Gus onto his lap so he could look the little boy in the face.

 

"That was really wrong of Mama to do.  She should not have taken your phone and she should not have tried to move you away without telling us.  You have to believe that Lily and Liam make no difference in how much Daddy and I love you.

 

We will ALWAYS love you and want you to spend time with us.  John and Peter love and you know that Grandmom Jen really, really loves you and wants to spend time with you."

 

An obviously relieved Gus burrowed into Justin's chest.

 

"So you didn't tell Mama you were too busy for me to visit?"

 

"Gus, Daddy and I will never ever be to busy for you.  We will always want you with us.  Don't let anyone make you think we don't want you to spend time with us.

 

You will be so important to Lily and Liam.  They will love you so much."

 

Justin put his arms around Gus to hold him close.  He didn't want Gus to feel any of the anger that Justin was feeling for Melanie.  He realized his mother was right they had to get primary custody.

 

Justin spotted Brian looking out of the bathroom door and nodded to him.  Brian came over and got into bed.  Justin shifted Gus so that he was between his Daddy and his Papa.

 

Justin could sense how distraught his partner was.  Brian put his arm around Gus.

 

"Sonny Boy, Papa and I would like you to come and live with us.  You would visit your Moms but most of the time you would be with us."

 

Gus looked at his Daddy with tears running down his cheeks.

 

"Really Daddy?  I could stay here with you and the babies and my cousins.  You really want me to live here."

 

Brian and Justin both hated the doubt they heard in Gus's voice.  Brian pulled his son into a hug.

 

"Gus, Papa and I want that very much.  We didn't want you to have to change schools and leave your new friends, but we think maybe the best thing for all of us is to be together."

 

"I would miss my friends, but it would be so cool to go to the same school as John and Peter.  I could see Kevin lots more and to be here with you and Papa would be so awesome."

 

Brian just hugged Gus.  He didn't trust himself to talk.  Justin kissed Gus on the top of his head before giving Brian a deep kiss and a sunshine smile.  He knew that he and Brian would have a lot to talk about and plans to make but not in front of Gus.

 

"So Gus how about some Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast."

 

Gus looked up at his Papa with a big smile.   "That would be great!"

 

Justin used the bathroom and brough out a washcloth to remove any trace of tears from Gus's face.  The three of them headed down to the kitchen.