Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

To Have & to Hold Forever

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad", along with other stories in the "Together Forever" Series.  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 10

 

The following week, Justin parked at Washington Academy and hurried into the building.  When he got to the auditorium, he spotted his mother sitting with Mary Gardner and Roxanne O'Brien.   They had saved a seat for him.

 

Lily & Liam had been so adorable this morning he hated leaving them.  He and Brian  discussed who should come to the award ceremony and who should stay at home with the babies.  Brian had settled the issue by saying; "Peter is who is going to win awards and we both know Peter would rather have his Papa there instead of his Uncle.  John doesn't care either way".

 

Justin couldn't argue with that logic so here he was.  He looked around the auditorium and was surprised that there were almost as many dads attending as moms.  He said hello to Mary & Roxanne and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek.

 

Justin paged through the assembly booklet, Kinnetik's ad took up both pages of the inside front cover and Bloom Gallery's ad was on the outside back cover.  Jennifer's real estate office sponsored a half page ad.

 

Mary poked Roxanne's side.   "There's Andrea Fuller."

 

Justin turned to see A very thin woman with her hair pulled tightly to a bun at the back of her head.  Her brown dress almost seemed like it was chosen to be unattractive and she wore no makeup, not even lipstick.    She took a seat in the middle of the front row.

 

Justin turned to Mary.   "Who is she?"

 

"Her son is Peter's main competition."

 

Justin chuckled.  "What are they competing for?"

 

"Her son, Jay, has gotten the award for top student since first grade.  Her ex-husband, David, has been a friend of Bill's since college.  We used to associate with them quite a bit.  Andrea is insufferable.  She has invested all her time and effort into Jay.  I don't see how the poor kid can ever live up to her expectations.

 

David finally had enough neglect and asked for a divorce.  After the divorce he started to see a lovely woman, Kay Ryan.  They are getting married next month.  Andrea has made it her mission to tell everyone she knows that Kay broke up her marriage.  Actually David just got fed up with Andrea.

 

Josh and Jay used to be friendly but Andrea told me that Jay doesn't have time for unproductive pursuits.  She feels he needs to put all his efforts into academics."

 

Jennifer looked at Mary in amazement.  "She actually said that to you."

 

Mary nodded.

 

"Yup.  She suggested I put more effort into parenting Josh before it was too late for him to excel.  According to her, successful people form their habits early in life.  I said it was more important for children to be happy and do things they enjoyed.  Andrea said she felt it was more important to ensure her son's future success."

 

Justin grimaced.  "Wow and I thought my Mom was tough."

 

Jennifer just laughed and shook her head.

 

"As if anyone could make you do anything once your mind was made up to do something else.  All I ever asked of you was to do your best."

 

Justin rolled his eyes but before he could reply the students entered the auditorium and the awards ceremony began. 

 

The awards started with the upper school.  First the headmaster announced all the students who made first honors all four quarters.  Next were the names of all the students who had achieved at least second honors which included John & Patrick.   John had made first honors in the third & fourth quarters of the year and second honors for the first 2 quarters.  Patrick made second honors for the entire year.

 

The first surprise for Justin, Jennifer & friends came during the prizes for best student in individual subjects.  John won the prize for history which caused his Uncle & Grandmother to shout and leap to their feet while clapping the whole time.  John acted embarrassed as he walked on stage and ignored Justin & Jennifer but was secretly quite pleased.

 

Peter was included in first honors every quarter in the lower school.  Josh had achieved second honors for the year.  Peter was awarded best student for math, history & English.  Jay Fuller got best student for science, geography & civics.  Mary admitted this was Josh's best academic year.  She felt Peter's intelligence was rubbing off on Josh.

 

Jennifer grabbed Justin's hand when Norm Mooney announced student with the highest average in the lower school.  This award had been won by Jay every year but much to the delight of Justin & Jennifer this year Peter had the highest average.  Norm did say that it was extremely close with less than half a percentage point separating Peter from the student who was in second place.

 

Peter looked over at his Papa & Grandmother, who were on their feet and cheering, when he went up on stage.  Unlike his brother, Peter had a huge smile on his face the whole time.  He gave his Papa and Grandmom a quick wave as he exited the stage.

 

After the awards ceremony there was a reception in the school grounds.  Peter & Josh came running over to get congratulatory hugs from everyone.  John & Patrick were too cool to run but did arrive pretty quickly to accept their hugs.

 

Justin spotted Jay Fuller walking past them in search for his mother, not looking very happy.  Justin smiled at him and held out his hand, Jay shook his hand.

 

"Hi Jay.  I'm Peter's Uncle, actually his Papa, I wanted to congratulate you on your awards.  Mrs Gardner said you have been an outstanding student since you started at Washington Academy.  I think that's great.  You should be proud of your achievements."

 

Peter and Josh added their congratulations and Jay looked somewhat happier.  Andrea Fuller made her way over to the group.  She was not smiling.

 

Mary said hello to Andrea and introduced Justin and Jennifer.  Roxanne, who had met Andrea, also said hello before saying she & Patrick really needed to get home.

 

Justin maintained his smile although it was obvious Andrea was not happy.

 

"You must be very proud of Jay.  He had a great scholastic year."

 

Andrea's frown did not lessen.

 

"I think Jay let his studies slip a little this year.  We are going to have to concentrate harder next year to achieve our goals."

 

Justin was a little shocked.

 

"I don't think it is a good idea to put too much pressure on kids.  They need to enjoy life too."

 

Andrea shook her head.

 

"I believe it is never too early to start a successful life.  Jay needs to concentrate more on his studies."

 

Jennifer formed an instant dislike for Andrea.

 

"Well we are very proud of Peter and John.  They are able to enjoy life and still do well in school."

 

Andrea was unconvinced.

 

"I know that this is the first year for the boys here at the Academy.  I guess their parents were more goal oriented than you and instilled that quality in their sons.  It doesn't appear that they are currently getting the necessary motivation to succeed."

 

Jennifer laughed.  Justin, John & Peter were aware it was not a happy laugh.

 

"Well my dear you couldn't be more wrong about that.  Peter and John's father is an auto mechanic, living in Alaska, who has been largely absent from their lives.  Their mother barely made it through high school and is currently serving a prison term.

 

My son is a well-known artist who always did very well in school.  His partner, Brian, runs the most successful advertising firm in Pittsburgh.  He attended Penn State on a scholarship, so Brian certainly understands the value of a good education.

 

However, they also understand that childhood should be a time to enjoy life and not feel too much pressure.  Obviously, our boys also understand the importance of academics without undue pressure from their guardians.  Their achievements and Jay's were celebrated today."

 

Justin put his arm around his mother's waist.  He hoped it would be a retraining influence on her. 

 

"Well Andrea you realize my mother has strong views on things just like you.  I suppose Jay will be taking one of the advance courses offered at the community college this summer.  Peter has signed up for their math class."

 

"Of course he is.  I have signed Jay up for three classes this summer."

 

Jay frowned.

 

"Mom I don't want to spend the whole summer going to school.  I thought we decided to stick to two classes."

 

"That was before you missed out on the best student award.  You cannot afford to fall behind."

 

Justin could feel his mother tense up and gave her a little squeeze.  He hoped that would cause her to think before she spoke.

 

Justin was aided in diverting Jennifer by the arrival of Jay's father, David, and his fiancée Kay.  It turned out that Kay was a real estate agent who had a past deal with Jennifer, so they knew each other.

 

Andrea's frown deepened.

 

"Hello David.  I thought I made it clear that this was a parents only occasion."

 

Jay groaned.  "Mom."

 

David shrugged.

 

"Well, as we agreed, I am taking Jay out to lunch and I wanted Kay to come along.  Congrats son!  I am so proud of your awards."

 

Kay smiled at Jay.  "You did great.  I had to hold your Dad in his seat.  He wanted to come up and give you a hug when you came off the stage."

 

Andrea turned to her ex-husband.  "I need to talk to you!"

 

Jennifer rolled her eyes and announced.

 

"Who wants to go with me to get some punch?"

 

Josh, John and Peter immediately said "Yes".   Jennifer turned to Jay and took his arm.

 

"You look thirsty to me.  Come on over to the refreshment table with us."

 

Once they were out of gearing range David turned to Andrea.

 

"I am not going to have the same discussion with you every time I appear somewhere with Kay!  She has nothing to do with the breakup of our marriage.  I just couldn't take being married to YOU anymore.  Kay and I didn't even start seeing each other until after our divorce was final.

 

You need to lighten up on Jay.  He needs time to just be a kid."

 

Andrea was furious, her face a bright red, her hands clasped into fists.

 

"I will hate you until my dying day.  I know this tramp is the reason our marriage fell apart.  Make sure you get Jay home on time."

 

She stormed off without another word.  David turned to Justin & Mary.

 

"I'm so sorry.  I'm afraid Andrea and I bring out the worst in each other."

 

Justin smiled awkwardly.  Mary shrugged.

 

"I am still searching for the best in Andrea.  Nice to see you David.  I am going to intercept Josh and head home."

 

A smiling Jennifer reappeared with the other three boys who were engaged in conversation.

 

Peter came over to Justin.

 

"Papa can Jay, his father and his friend come to lunch with us?"

 

Justin chuckled.

 

"Sure, that sounds like a good idea if that is Okay with his Dad."

 

An embarrassed David said they didn't want to interfere with their lunch plans.  Jennifer insisted they should come and said she wanted to have a nice visit with Kay.  David agreed.

 

Justin had made a reservation at their favorite pizza place and called from the car to change their reservation to seven people.

 

At the restaurant, John & Peter claimed the seats on either side of Grandmom Jen.  Jay sat on the other side of Peter.  On the other side of the table Kay sat opposite Jennifer with Justin & David on either side of her.

 

Peter and Jay had a conversation about their upcoming summer classes.  John concentrated on his pizza and Jennifer kept up a lively conversation with Kay & David.  Justin was mostly just amused, he and John kept glancing at each other and smirking.

 

When Justin and the boys got home, Brian asked how things went and all three burst into laughter.  John & Peter went upstairs to change while Justin joined Brian on the couch where Liam & Lily were peacefully sleeping beside him.

 

Brian chuckled at Mother Taylor taking on Andrea Fuller.

 

"I think your mother thinks of herself as some sort of superhero taking on the put-upon children of the world."

 

Justin looked heavenward.   "She is unstoppable.  I did mention that the Fullers' issues were none of her business and she told me she would do what she liked regardless of how I felt about it."

 

Brian laughed out loud which startled the babies who started to cry.  Their Daddy & Papa quickly scooped them up to quiet them.

 

After dinner a contingent from Pittsburgh arrived to visit with Lily and Liam. First to arrive was Michael and Ben with Debbie.  Carl & Joe stayed home.  When they arrived John & Brian were feeding the twins. Justin answered the door and got the usual bone crushing hug from Debbie.   Ben gave him a quick hug and Michael walked right past him on his way to the family room.

 

Michael stopped short when he saw Brian feeding Lily while having a serious, albeit one sided, conversation with her.  This was not Michael's vision of Brian but since it was happening right in front of him there was no way to deny that Brian Kinney was feeding a baby and seemed to be enjoying it.

 

When Justin saw the expression on Michael's face he couldn't help chuckling.  Debbie hurried over to the couch to view her grandchildren.

 

"What the fuck, I can't believe how much these little angels have changed since I saw them.  They are fucking amazing."

 

John smiled at Debbie, never quite sure how to take her over the top behavior but slowly getting a little more used to her.  Peter found her even more ominous and had retreated to the kitchen.  He did ask if anyone would like something to drink and set to work filling requests.  By delivering Debbie Diet Pepsi first while still having Ben & Michael's drink on his tray Peter avoided a Debbie hug.

 

Peter smiled at Uncle Brian who observed his technique and winked at him.  Debbie moved to the back of the couch and peered over at Liam & Lily.

 

"Sunshine, Lily is the image of you.  She is going to be a fucking beauty!"

 

Ben joined his mother in law in observing the newest members of the family.  He took a few pictures with his phone.  He turned to Justin.

 

"Hunter made me promise to send him some photos."

 

That remark earned him a sunshine smile from Justin.  Meanwhile Michael had settled in a chair and continued to observe Brian who was 100% concentrated on his daughter.

 

The doorbell rang again, and Justin welcomed Ted & Blake along with Emmett & Rusty.  There were lots of hugs and smiles among the friends.  Justin asked where Nina was.  Blake smiled and took Ted's hand.

 

"She is having an overnight with Viola.  At the last minute there were some tears because her Teddy Man wouldn't be available for her bedtime story.  Then there were a few tears from Teddy Man in the car."

 

Ted grimaced and Blake kissed him on the cheek.  Emmett smiled.

 

"That little girl is just too adorable.  I love that Teddy Man moniker.  It is just so perfect."

 

They all strolled into the family room.  Emmett took one look at Lily and turned to stare at Justin.

 

"Baby, this girl is your image.  It's like you got washed in hot water and shrunk. Oh my god!  You are going to have to beat off suitors with a club."

 

Justin laughed.

 

"I think it will be Brian who will be taking care of that aspect of parenting.  He is already telling her she is Daddy's Princess.  He plans to completely spoil her."

 

Brian looked self-satisfied as he settled Lily on his lap to burp her.

 

"She won't be anymore spoiled than Sunbeam.  Daddy is going to do his best to be sure neither kid has an unhappy moment."

 

Justin smile grew and he came over and to Brian a kiss on the cheek.

 

"You are the best Daddy any child could ask for."

 

Brian agreed and added that they also had the most awesome Papa imaginable.  This exchange cause Michael to look even more amazed and confused.  Could it be true that Brian was happy living this life?

 

Peter got beverages for the new arrivals.  He stayed close to Ted and the two of them started to discuss accounting to the amazement of most everyone else.

 

Justin chose that moment to announce the school awards that John & Peter had achieved.  Peter was now subject to a Debbie hug and sloppy kiss on his cheek.  John kept hold of Liam as a guard against Debbie.

 

Justin never stopped smiling as everyone showered compliments on Lily & Liam.  The twins seemed to sense they were focus of attention.  They cooed and made adorable faces.  They seemed content to be passed around before falling asleep and being put in their bassinet.

 

While the friends all visited, John and Peter made herbal tea, decaf coffee and sliced some of Alice's homemade cakes.  Unhappily for them this attracted Debbie's attention.  She came over and put an arm around each boy.

 

"Brian & Sunshine are fucking lucky to have you guys!  You are such great helpers.  John you fed Liam like a pro!"

 

Brian chuckled.

 

"Debbie if you really want to reward my nephews, you could leave them alone."

 

Debbie shook her head.   "Asshole!"

 

Her reply caused general laughter and grateful smiles from John & Peter to Brian.

 

Everyone gathered in the kitchen area while they enjoyed coffee or tea and Alice's delicious cakes.  John & Peter continued your waiter duties.  They kept busy refilling cups while chatting with the guests.

 

Eventually they went off to the media room to play some video games.

 

Michael managed to get Brian away from the main group.

 

"You really seem to be into Justin's kids.  You seemed really concentrated on giving the little girl her bottle.  That just isn't like you."

 

Brian looked at Michael like he had two heads.

 

"Mikey!  How can you still be so fucking clueless?  I want you to concentrate and listen really closely to what I am saying.

 

Lily and Liam are Justin and MY children.  I was feeding MY daughter.  I am a lucky man.  There are a lot of people around me who seem to genuinely care about me.  There are four people who I love completely and with my whole heart.

 

Those four people are Justin, Gus, Liam and Lily.  I really care about you and Debbie and of course Jennifer and Molly and John and Peter but no one comes close to those first four people.  You need to get rid of this bullshit idea of yours that I am not happy.

 

Mikey, I wake up every morning so fucking happy.  Since we brought our babies home Justin and I haven't gotten a lot of sleep at night and our sex life is way down but I am so fucking happy I can't believe it myself!

 

Michael just stared at his old friend.

 

"But you don't do any of the things you used to enjoy.  You are living in the country when you used to say you would never do that.  Now you have a house full of kids.  I just can't accept that you don't miss your old life.  It just isn't possible that you don't miss Babylon and Woody's."

 

Brian slowly shook his head.

 

"Mikey you are fucking nuts!  Everyone changes, everyone grows up!  Don't ever have this conversation with me again.  If you do, I won't be able to still be your friend.  I will not defend my life to you or anyone else."

 

Brian went over to stand behind Justin and put his arms around him.  Michael could see the change in Justin's face and also could see how happy Brian looked.  He just couldn't understand how his best friend could have changed so much.  Michael went over and stood beside Ben, who smiled and slung his arm around Michael's shoulders as he & Rusty talked about teaching.

 

Michael felt a little jealous because he could tell that he and Ben did not exude total happiness like Brian & Justin did.

 

Emmett managed to get Justin alone, out on the patio, to tell him that he & Rusty were moving in together.  Justin gave Emmett a big hug & kiss.  He assured his friend that he & Brian both liked Rusty. 

 

When they came back inside, Rusty looked at Emmett who nodded his head and smiled.  Brian walked over to Justin who walked into Brian's arm.

 

A short time later the Pittsburgh contingent headed back to the city.  Brian and Justin straightened the kitchen and started the dishwasher.

 

Liam and Lily were still sound asleep.  Justin & Brian said goodnight to the nephews and took their babies up to the nursery.  They hurried over to their bedroom with the baby monitor.  Both men were thrilled to get a shower with a side of romance before Lily & Liam woke up.

 

Liam & Lily took pity on their Daddies and slept four hours between their bottles.  Brian maintained it was because all the company tired out the babies.  Justin just rolled his eyes.

 

When Justin & Brian brought two fed, cleaned & dressed babies downstairs, only Alice was in the kitchen family room area.  John & Peter appeared to be taking advantage of school being over to sleep in.

 

Fort Pitt school still had a few more days to go before summer break.  When Ted picked up Nina, at Viola's apartment, she clung to him and told him she missed him.  Viola smiled as a truly delighted Ted gathered the little girl in a hug with a huge grin on his face.

 

Rusty had spent the night at Emmett's apartment.  He got sent off to work with a big country breakfast followed by kisses and hugs from a very happy, satisfied Emmett. 

 

Melanie caught the early bus to get to the office.  She knew she had let things slip at the office and was determined to impress Bernice Rapport.  Lindsay delivered Gus & JR to school and went to her home studio to paint for a while.  Like Justin this was her way to express emotion and deal with bumps in the road of life.

 

Debbie kept busy at breakfast showing pictures on her phone to Carl & Joe and raving about how fucking adorable Liam & Lily are.   She also included how great John & Peter were for helping although she did realize they were a little uncomfortable around her.  This puzzled her and caused Carl & Joe to roll their eyes at each other.

 

When Jennifer got to the real estate office, she spent an hour making sure everyone there saw photos of her and her grandsons at the school awards assembly.  Everyone also heard about how proud Jennifer was of them.  For most people it was a welcome break from the daily photos of Lily & Liam.

 

When John & Peter finally made it down for breakfast, they were surprised that Justin was prepared to make them pancakes.  They came in to take a look at their sleeping cousins.  Even though Justin had already eaten a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast he joined the nephews for pancakes much to Brian's amazement.  Brian made sure all three of them also ate some fruit.

 

The twins woke up hungry shortly after Cassie arrived.  She and John took charge of baby feeding while Justin & Brian went off to do their own thing for a while.  Peter did his bottle heat & deliver duty before taking his book and going out on the patio.  He wanted to be as far as possible away from any subsequent dirty diapers.

Chapter End Notes:

Happy Birthday shf1210.  Hope you enjoy your gift.