Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:
Brian contemplates his ever-growing family, and the repercussions to come…



Title: My Rich, Arrogant Boyfriend…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 3962
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: Bigj52
Banner: Original banner by Weird Wacky World, updated banner by me.
Series: Rich, Arrogant… This is Part 2 of a 3 Part series.


Summary: Brian and Justin’s relationship has taken many twists and turns along the way, but they both want to find a way to move forward together. Will they be able to work things out, and accept each other’s needs, or will they go their separate ways?

Chapter Summary: Brian contemplates his ever-growing family, and the repercussions to come…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

My Rich, Arrogant, Boyfriend

Chapter 8 ~ Oh Baby…

Justin sat looking out the window at the view he had seen each morning so long ago. It brought back so many memories, as a chill ran down his spine. He knew exactly how Melanie was feeling, consumed with fear and confusion. Even though he didn’t know her, he was determined to not let her go through the same desperation he had felt. It had been a few days since she was admitted back into the hospital. Yet she’s still floating between conscious and unconsciousness, never really waking up enough to know what has happened to her. The only sound is the beeps from the medical equipment echoing through the room. Justin picks up the book from his lap and continues reading out loud. He found an old copy of the classic novel Dorian Gray on the bookshelf in the waiting room. He hopes his soft voice will help to calm her, letting her know that she isn’t alone.

Brian is several floors down in the psych ward. He’s avoided meeting with Dr. Adler, but it’s now time to face reality and find out about Lindsay’s diagnosis. Dr. Adler explains that he thinks Lindsay has had a break from reality, and needs extensive psychotherapy. Brian doesn’t disagree that she needs psychological help, but he’s known her long enough to know that this is just another one of her ploys for attention. To make matters worse he just learned that her pregnancy test came back positive. He’s not sure attending her therapy session with Dr. Adler is a wise choice, but here he is sitting in the office awaiting her arrival. The door slowly opens, as Lindsay comes in, looking like she’s been crying. Looking up she sees Brian. She runs to him, throwing her arms around him.

“Brian. Brian, you’re finally here.”

“Lindsay. Pull yourself together, and tell me what’s going on.”

She senses he’s angry so she puts on a look of desperation and despair, hoping to manipulate him into taking sympathy on her.

“Brian. I was so worried when you didn’t come to visit me. You’ve left me here for days, all alone.”

He just stares at her for a few moments. “I’m not your partner. You’re not my responsibility.”

“Oh, Brian. Don’t be like this. I need you. I love you.”

“I’m your friend, and I care about you. But let’s be clear. I’m not in love with you!”

“Brian. I know you love me. I now understand that you’ve just been waiting for me to come back to you.”

“Lindsay! Stop trying to manipulate me! I don’t have time for all your romantic fantasies!”

“Brian. I still love you. I’ve always loved you. I know I’ve made some mistakes, but can’t you forgive me?”

“You need to stop with all these delusions, and wishful thinking. We were never in love! We fucked twice in a moment of drunken madness. It never meant anything to me! All it did was reaffirm that I was one hundred percent homosexual!”

“How can you say that? We have a son together.”

“It may have been my sperm, but your wife knocked you up with a turkey baster!”

Lindsay starts crying. “I know, but I wish it had been you.”

“You wanted me to hold the turkey baster?”

Instantly her tears are gone as her anger takes over. “You know exactly what I mean!”

“It’s never going to happen again! It wasn’t that good the first time around, and the thought of sticking my dick inside you makes me nauseous!”

Jumping to her feet she lunges at him. “You fucking bastard!”

“Speaking of bastards, Dr. Adler says your pregnancy test is positive. Who knocked you up this time?”

Her tears are back. “It’s our baby, Brian. We’re going to have another baby.”

“How is that even possible? I haven’t seen you since you ran off to Toronto almost a year ago.”

“Did you really think it took me three tries to get pregnant?”

“What are you saying?”

“I knew you’d be like this! I knew you’d never agree to have another child with me! So I did what I had to do. I had a clinical procedure creating embryos, and then had them frozen so one day Gus could have a true sibling!”

Brian runs his hand through his hair, stunned by her admission.

“Brian, can’t you see? It’s time for us to be a family. We’re perfect for each other, and… And I don’t even mind if you have a boy’s night out once a week. You don’t have to give up men, you can still get your needs met.”

“Why thank you so very much! I don’t need your permission!”

“Please don’t be angry with me. I love you so much, Brian.”

“Lindsay! Cut the bullshit! Your wife is upstairs in neurology, recovering from a brain aneurysm. You do remember your wife, Melanie, right?”

“Mel’s in the hospital?”

“Well that certainly snapped you back to reality! Here’s another reality check for you. Your parents are in the waiting room.”

“What? Oh, my God. What am I going to tell them?”

“Why not tell them the truth! You’re a manipulating bitch who will do anything to try and get your own way!”

Lindsay paces the floor, looking totally panicked, wondering what she’s going to do now.

“Lindsay. Lindsay! Are you listening to me? If you don’t get it together, I’m going to file a restraining order against you. I don’t want to see you, and I don’t want you near Gus until you’re acting rational. Moreover, I’m going to petition the court for sole custody of Gus, our unborn child, and all the frozen embryos. Coming here today has proven one thing, you’re unfit to be a parent, and it’s in Gus’s best interest to terminate all your parental rights.”

“NO. No, Brian. You can’t! We can work this out. I need you! I’m sorry. I’m sorry I tried to trick you into marrying me. Please don’t leave me and my baby!”

“It’s not going to be your baby!”

With that Brian walks out of Dr. Adler’s office, past Ron and Nancy Peterson without even giving them a glance. He can only imagine the court fight he’ll be having with them for custody of Gus and baby X.

~~~

Michael had a relatively quiet weekend in prison. He stayed pretty much to himself and did his assigned kitchen duty without too much grumbling. He’s meeting with his parole officer before being released for the week.

“Michael. I’m glad to see that you behaved yourself this weekend. It’s important that you keep following the rules and performing your assigned tasks without complaining. You’ll start your counseling sessions next weekend, and since you haven’t had any luck finding employment, today you’ll be released to a halfway house, where you’ll be required to work. You’ll be doing work around the house such as housekeeping, laundry and yard work. You’ll have to share a room with another parolee, and you’ll be responsible for following all the rules and keeping to the curfew of ten o’clock every night.”

“This is bullshit! I’m not staying with a bunch of criminals, or doing housework, and I’m not following a curfew! Babylon doesn’t even get started until after ten o’clock!”

“Michael, you haven’t complied to the judge’s orders and found gainful employment. As I understand it, you no longer have a place to live. You’ve been using poor judgment, misbehaving and have spent a few days admitted to a psych ward at Allegheny General Hospital.”

“I didn’t… That was… It was all a big mistake! I do have a place to live! I’m going to be staying with my boyfriend, Brian.”

“Michael, I think we both know that you’re not welcome at Brian’s house.”

“It’s a loft!”

“Fine, loft. Either way. I don’t believe that Mr. Kinney will allow you to stay with him. He’s already requested that he not be contacted concerning your wellbeing.”

“He’s just over-reacting. He’ll let me stay with him now, because there was a fire at my ma’s house and I don’t have anywhere else to stay.”

“If you don’t have a job, or a place to stay, and you refuse to stay at the halfway house, you’ll have to remain here until you have served all your sentence.”

“But, I was only sentenced to the weekends.”

“We’ll take that into consideration, and you’ll only have to serve the same number of days equal to the weekends.”

“That’s like forever!”

“It’s your choice!”

“Okay! Fine! I’ll do it!”

“Just be aware that I’ll be receiving a daily report on your behavior. I’ll know if you’re doing your assigned tasks, and keeping to curfew.”

“Christ! That’s just like prison!”

“If you don’t like the arrangements, you’re welcome to keep looking for a fulltime job and a place to stay on your off time. But until then you’ll be required to stay at the halfway house, or here in prison. It’s your choice, Mr. Novotny.”

“Fine!”

“Good. Now here’s the address, they’ll be expecting you to check in by noon today.”

“It’s almost 10 a.m.!”

“You have two hours, and the bus ride will only take you twenty minutes. I think you have enough time, now run along.”

Michael storms out of the office, fuming, and he wants to kill someone. After waiting twenty minutes for the bus, he goes to Brian’s loft instead of the halfway house. When he gets there, he slips into the building, catching the door as someone is leaving. Minutes later he pulls the heavy loft door open, and walks in, calling Brian’s name.

“Michael, what are you doing here?”

“I think the better question is, what are you doing here, Emmett?”

“I’m watching Gus. Brian’s at work and Jus… He just didn’t have anyone else to watch Gus.”

“Oh. Yeah, I guess he would be at work today.”

“I’m starving, what does Brian have to eat?”

Emmett frowns at him. “I don’t think it’s a good idea that you’re here. You know Brian’s angry with you.”

“Well, he’s not here so he won’t know, now will he! Besides, we both know that he won’t stay mad at me forever.”

A sleepy Gus yawns, walking into the living room. He stops when he sees Michael. Being a child he has no problem being direct.

“You go home. You’re not supposed to be here.”

“You little brat! You better learn to respect me. I’m going to be your stepfather!”

“No way! Daddy will never marry you, he’s doesn’t even want to make kissy face with you!”

Michael grabs Gus by this arm and yanks him in the air. “Listen, you little bastard! I just told you, you need to respect me!”

There’s a pop, then Gus is screaming loudly, as tears run down his face. No one hears the loft door being pulled open. Gus sees Brian and breaks free, running to him, crying hysterically, saying his arm really hurts.

“What the fuck, Michael!”

Shocked to see Brian, Michael shouts. “Brian, you’re home!”

“What the fuck were you thinking? Why would you hurt Gus like that?”

“He was misbehaving, and disrespecting me!”

Brian looks like he’s going to kill Michael, while Gus continues crying, screaming in pain.

“Brian, calm down! I know you won’t hit me!”

Justin’s already in Michael’s face, grabbing him by his shirt. “Maybe not! But I will!”

Michael pulls free, but Justin’s fist hits his jaw before he knows what’s happened. He stumbles backwards, so Justin steps forward and brings his fist down again. Michael cries out for Brian’s help as a third punch hits him in the eye. He falls to the floor, cowering. He wraps his arms around his head as he cries out for Justin to stop.

Finally Brian says, “That’s enough, Justin. We don’t want to really hurt him. Okay, maybe we do, but we won’t.”

Gus is still crying loudly, and it’s then that Brian realizes that he might really be hurt.

“I’m calling the police! I’ll have you arrested for assaulting me!”

“Don’t worry. I’ve already called them, Michael.”

“Thanks, Emmett. I need to take Gus to the emergency room. I think his arm is broken.”

Justin says, “I’ll stay here and file the police report, then I’ll come to the hospital.”

Brian leans over and kisses Justin. Then Justin kisses Gus’s cheek, telling him that everything will be alright and he’ll see him soon.

“You’re going to file a police report! I’m the one who’s been injured!”

Brian passes the police officers on his way down the stairs. After a brief explanation of what happened he heads to the hospital. They enter the loft and see Michael holding his jaw. They look at Justin and shake their heads, remembering the last time they were here.

“Well, this is déjà vu.”

The police officer takes out his notepad and starts to write up the incident. “It’s Novotny, isn’t it?”

“Yes! It was Justin Taylor who assaulted me!”

“Did you actually hit a child?”

“He… I… He was being disobedient.”

“So, you don’t deny hitting a child.”

“He deserved it!”

“Let’s start from the beginning.”

“I just came over the see Bri…”

“Not you!”

The officer looks at Justin and Emmett, and Emmett tells him all about Michael storming into the loft, and what happened.

“Mr. Novotny, I believe you know the drill. But for the record, you have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney. If you can’t afford an attorney…”

“You’re arresting me? I’m the one who’s injured! Justin Taylor assaulted me! Arrest him! Are you listening to me?”

“Mr. Novotny, you might want to assert your right to remain silent.”

~~~

Debbie was given the all clear from the fire department to remove her things from the house. She knew Michael should be home from his weekend stay in jail, so she calls him so he can move his things.

“Michael, where are you? What’s all that background noise?”

“Ma, I’m so glad you called. I need you to come and bail me out of jail.”

“What do you mean? I thought you were released on Monday mornings?”

“I was. It’s just a misunderstanding. Please hurry. I need your help.”

“I don’t understand. What’s happened?”

“That Justin Taylor had me arrested again!”

“Why in the world would he do that? What did you do, Michael? I know you did something stupid.”

“Why do you always have to take everyone else’s side?”

“I know you all too well. I also know Justin’s a sweet, kind boy, who would never do anything to hurt anyone.”

“Well he slugged me, and punched me in the nose. He gave me a black eye.”

“What did you do to provoke him?”

“You’re doing it again. You’re already taking his side, without even hearing my side.”

“I don’t need to hear your side. I can hear it in your voice that you deserved it. Michael, this time you’re all on your own. I won’t continue to enable you. Now, I need to move my things out of the house so the contractors can start work. If you haven’t resolved all your problems by tonight, I’m putting all your things in the yard sale I’m having.”

“No! No, ma. You can’t!”

“I don’t have anywhere to store your things, and I’m not paying for a storage locker. Especially since almost everything you own belongs in the trash.”

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Just try me, Michael! I’m so sick of all your bullshit!”

“Ma! Ma, don’t hang up.”

“Oh, there’s one more thing. If you need to talk to me you can stop by the diner. I’m moving into a new place, and I’d rather you didn’t visit me until you’ve straightened out your life.”

“You’re abandoning me?”

“You’re a grown man, Michael. Start acting like it.”

“You can’t do this to me! You owe me! I’m your son!”

“I sometimes question if there was a mix-up at the hospital. Just pretend you’re an orphan.”

~~~

The medication has started to work, and Gus is no longer in excruciating pain. The doctor finishes putting a cast on Gus’s arm, and gives Brian instructions for Gus’s home care.

“Are you feeling okay now, Gus?”

“Almost. But, I’m pretty sure I’m going to need two kitties, before I’ll feel all better.”

“Is that right?”

“Daddy. I don’t like Michael. He’s a bad man.”

“I don’t like him very much right now, either.”

As they leave the hospital, Gus wraps his arms around Brian’s neck feeling safe and secure in his arms.

“Justy. Can you draw a picture of our new kittens on my cast?”

“I’ll draw anything you want on your cast. But first you need some lunch, and a nap and then we’ll see about getting you some kittens.”

Brian drops them off at the loft. He needs to get some work done at the office, but promises to be home early so they can to go and pick out the new kittens.

~~~

Brian’s POV
My mind keeps drifting, and I have yet to tell Justin that Lindsay’s carrying my baby. I knows Justin loves Gus, but I also know Justin didn’t sign up for an instant family. Adding another child into the mix just might have him running for the hills, but there’s no way I’ll let anyone else raise my children. Lindsay is right about one thing, it is the perfect time to give Gus a younger sibling. Of course, once the new baby arrives the loft will no longer be suitable. Sure we can remodel the upstairs, but it’s not the right layout. We all need to be sleeping on the same floor. Justin seems to love taking care of Gus, but he has a business to run, not to mention his love of painting. I knows it’s not fair to expect Justin to give up his ambitions to raise children.

I’m supposed to be researching a prospective client, that’s why I didn’t stay home and care for Gus. But I haven’t even booted up my computer, and I’m too preoccupied thinking about my family to concentrate.

“Cynthia. Can you have Marcie come up to my office, and that person who sits in the corner? Sherry, or Terry, or something like that.”

“Brian. It’s almost the end of the day. Can’t you wait until tomorrow? Take some time to cool off, before you lash out at them.”

“Cynthia, please. Just send them up, and have Brad or Bob come up too. Whichever one just had a baby.”

“What are you up to, Brian?”

“Just do it, and get us some refreshments. Cookies and milk, or something?”

“Cookies and milk? Brian? Are you stoned?”

“Humor me!”

Cynthia has no idea what’s going on, so she summons everyone to Brian’s office and then asks Julie to run down to the bakery. She paces outside Brian’s office, listening, but she can’t really hear anything. At least he’s not yelling at them, and she doesn’t know what to think. Julie returns with a box of fresh-baked cookies, and several small cartons of milk.

Ted walks by Cynthia’s desk so she asks, “Ted, can you take these refreshments into Brian’s office and find out what the fuck is going on?”

Glancing down, Ted looks at her questioningly. “Cookies and milk? Really?”

“Shut up! It’s what he asked for.”

“Is he stoned?”

“I already asked him that.”

Ted opens the door a few inches and listens to the conversation taking place.

Brian’s asking them about their children. “So tell me, Terry, how many children do you have?”

“Aaah Brian. Can I talk to you?”

“Come on in and sit down, Theodore.”

“Can we speak in private?”

Brian waves Ted over to his desk. Leaning in, Ted says, “You can’t ask them about their families.”

“Why the hell not?”

“Because it’s against the law.”

“What? Why?”

“It just is. You can’t ask them personal questions.”

“Oh, for Christ sakes! That’s ridiculous!”

“Brian…”

“Okay. On that note then, we’ll start with you, Ted.”

“Are you and Blake still in the process of applying at adoption agencies?”

“Brian! You can’t ask me that! Especially in front of the employees.”

“Well, okay then. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you and Blake.”

Ted glares at him, but Brian just keeps asking his questions.

“Now, tell me, Ted. How many employees do we have with children?”

“How can I explain it to you any clearer? It’s against the law to ask these questions of your employees!”

Marcie, Terry, and Bob are munching on cookies, as they look on with fascination as Ted tries to reprimand Brian.

“Teddy, how am I going to get answers to my questions if I can’t ask them?”

“Why do you need to know this?”

“I’m trying to figure out if we should open a child care center for our employees. I don’t like the idea of Gus and baby X being with some stranger all day. If we had a child care center I could check on them throughout the day, and if something happened I’d be right here.”

“Who’s baby X?”

Smugly, Brian says, “Teddy, I thought we couldn’t ask personal questions?”

Ted’s back to glaring at him…

“Now, Theodore. If the adoption goes through, wouldn’t you want them here with you during the day?”

“Well… Yes, I guess so.”

“What about the three of you? Would you be interested in have a daycare at work?”

Marcie asks, “How much would it cost?”

“I don’t know. Ted, how much would it cost?”

“I’m not sure. I’ll have to research it.”

“I have a pretty good deal with the babysitter I have now. But it would be nice to have them here at work with me.”

“Oh, you meant how much will it cost you? Nothing. It would be part of your employee benefits.”

All three of them start talking at once, excited about the idea, and amazed that Brian is interested in their opinions. Maybe he isn’t really the grouchy ogre they all think he is.

“Okay, it sound like this is a good idea. So, Teddy, find out how many employees we have with children. Without asking them, of course.”

Smirking, he says, “I’d be interested to know how that works.”

“I’ll simply give them a questionnaire, asking for their input, and if they’re interested in daycare at work. Anonymously, of course.”

“Of course. Now how long do you think it will take to get it up and running? I’d like something set up as soon as possible.”

“How soon is, as soon as possible?”

“How’s tomorrow morning?”

“Very funny!”

“What’s my budget, and where did you have in mind? The supply room?”

~~~

Gus is walking around, squealing each time he sees an adorable kitten. Justin keeps eyeing the reptiles and snakes, hoping they don’t escape, and Brian keeps muttering about fur and his designer clothes.

“Do they sell those hairless cats here?”

“No way, Brian. They’d look like lizards, and be all creepy.”

After petting almost every kitten in the shop, Gus finally decides he likes the twin sandy kittens.

“I love them, daddy. Can I takes these kittens home?”

“Oh. Look Brian, they’re so cute.”

He’s still somewhat resistant, but he promised Gus. Brian picks one up and it instantly stars purring. Holding the little furball reminds him how his parents never let him have a pet. But seeing the look of joy on Gus’s face, he knows it’s worth it.

“You’re the best daddy ever! I love you so much!”

Yep, his two boys seem pretty happy with the new additions to the family. Let’s just hope they’re both just as excited when baby X comes home from the hospital.

TBC…