Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:
Lindsay and Michael disagree with the hospital, they don’t need a doctor, they just need Brian…

Title: My Rich, Arrogant Boyfriend…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 5081
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: Bigj52
Banner: Original banner by Weird Wacky World, updated banner by me.
Series: Rich, Arrogant… This is Part 2 of a 3 Part series.


Summary: Brian and Justin’s relationship has taken many twists and turns along the way, but they both want to find a way to move forward together. Will they be able to work things out, and accept each other’s needs, or will they go their separate ways?

Chapter Summary: Lindsay and Michael disagree with the hospital, they don’t need a doctor, they just need Brian…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

My Rich, Arrogant, Boyfriend

Chapter Seven ~ Doctor, Doctor!

Melanie left the hospital the next morning against the doctor’s advice, claiming that she felt fine and there was nothing wrong with her. Instead of visiting Lindsay in the psych ward, she opted to have lunch with Dusty. They met in a greasy spoon near the hospital where she didn’t know anyone, not wanting anyone to overhear her problems. Two hours later, after droning on about all her misery and mishaps while living in Toronto, Dusty agreed to let her stay in the artist studio/storage space above her garage. It’s just a large room, with lots of windows. There’s a sink and toilet in the corner behind a short wall, but it’s not very private. It was never meant to be a living space, just a work space. In return she’ll have to babysit Dusty and Marie’s kids while they’re at work. Mel eagerly accepts her offer sight unseen, because she’s desperate for a place to live now that Debbie’s house is unsuitable.

Meanwhile at the hospital…
Lindsay’s second night in the psych ward was even worse than the first. She got into a huge fight with her cell mate, I mean roommate, and was forced to sleep on the sofa in the patient lounge. The next morning she met with Dr. Adler, who’ll be handling her case. She started right away complaining about her accommodation and the meals. He just let her rant, letting her get it all out of her system so they can finally focus on why she is there. After a half an hour she finally admits that she isn’t actually married to Brian, but she wants to be. She claims that they’re destined to be together, and she just needs to help Brian see it her way. She believes that because they slept together in college, that they’re both really bisexual. She believes that Brian was just punishing her for dating Mel in college, and then marrying her. She’s sure that Brian only sleeps with men to make her jealous.

“You see, he loves me so much that I’m the only woman that he’s ever slept with. He’s just been waiting for me to come back to him.”

“How long ago was it that you were together?”

“Well, it’s been awhile. It was our senior year at Penn State, so ten years ago.”

“Ten years is a long time for him to pine for you in silence.”

“He’s a very stubborn man, and he has his pride. But now I realize that I need to be the one to apologize to him. To let him know that my feelings have never changed. He needs to understand that I’ve never stopped loving him. I’m even more in love with him now, than I was back then.”

“Has he ever indicated that he still has feelings for you?”

“We have a son together. His name is Gus, he’s four years old. He’s at the perfect age to be able to accept a new sibling into the family. As a matter of fact, I think he’s been wanting a little sister or brother for quite a while.”

“How do you think Mr. Kinney feels about that?”

“Brian loves me, he’ll do anything for me.”

“So. You haven’t talked to him about your plans to become a family?”

“No. But it’s what he needs, it’s what we both need. He’s now in a position to be able to afford a big house in the suburbs, in a neighborhood with good schools for Gus. It would be the perfect place for him to entertain clients, and have cocktail parties. My family knows lots of influential businessmen who could help his advertising business grow. Did I mention that he’s started his own firm? He’s very smart and I know he’s going to be a huge success.”

“Lindsay. I can see that you’ve given this a lot of thought, but don’t you think it’s a bit unrealistic? After all, you’re in a committed relationship with Melanie Marcus. The two of you have built a life together. Are you really willing to throw it all away for a romantic fantasy?”

“Romantic fantasy! This is my destiny! I was raised to be a perfect wife, married to an executive. To belong to the country club, and host fancy parties!”

“Again. I ask you. What about you current wife? What if Mr. Kinney doesn’t feel that same way you do? What are you going to do if things don’t go as you’ve planned?”

“But… But, they have to. They just have to. It’s what I’ve always wanted!”

“Maybe we should ask Mr. Kinney to join us in your next therapy session?”

“Yes! Yes, I think that’s a great Idea. That way you can help him see that we’re meant to be together.”

“It’s not my place to try and influence anyone, one way or another. It’s up to my patients to make the right decisions and take the right direction for their lives.”

“But, you will call Brian? I need to see him.”

“Yes, I’ll see if he’s willing to attend your next therapy session. In the meantime, I’m going to prescribe you some different medications that should help you focus your thoughts, and see things clearer.”

~~~

Down the hall, in the Men’s wing of the Psych ward…

“Nurse! Where is my patient? You said he was ready and waiting for his evaluation.”

“He was just here a minute ago. Let me go find him.”

“Mr. Novotny! I’ve already told you, you can’t monopolize the TV! None of the other patients want to watch cartoons, especially when their soap operas are on! You’re supposed to be in the examination room! Dr. Adler is waiting for you.”

She takes him by his arm and pulls him towards the room. She can’t help hoping that he’ll be released soon, he’s more trouble that all the other patients on her ward.

Michael pulls free, muttering about being treated like a child as he stomps into the room, angry that he’s missing an old rerun of Wonder Woman on Nick at Night.

“Have a seat, Michael. May I call you Michael?”

“You just did, didn’t you?”

“Let’s lose the attitude, shall we? This will go a lot easier if you pay attention, and just answer my questions.”

“I need to get out of here. I have somewhere I need to be!”

“Yes. I know. I’ve received all the paperwork from the court. You’re expected at Allegheny prison by five o’clock this evening.”

“Can’t you tell them that I need therapy, and I can’t continue serving my jail sentence?”

“Do you need therapy, Mr. Novotny? What do you see as your problems?”

“I was railroaded by the court! I didn’t do anything wrong, and I shouldn’t be here, or there! I want to go home!”

“Reading through your file, it seems that most of your charges are a result of your anger issues. A lack of respect for authority, and refusing to take responsibility for your actions.”

“They wouldn’t listen to my side of the story! The judge kept interrupting me, and it’s not my fault that I wasn’t allowed to explain that everything was Justin Taylor’s fault!”

“Who is Justin Taylor?”

“Some slutty designer who manipulated my boyfriend, turning him against me.”

“And… That would be Mr. Kinney?”

Dr. Adler can’t help thinking this Mr. Kinney must be one charismatic character, having two of his patients madly in love with him.

“Yes!”

“It says here in your chart that you claim that Mr. Kinney is your husband.”

“Well, that was just because Lindsay said he was her husband. I couldn’t let her get away with that! Brian loves me, we’re getting married!”

Dr. Adler flips through the nurse’s notes from his admittance forms.

“It says here that Mr. Kinney removed himself as your power of attorney, requesting that your mother Debbie Novotny replace him.”

“That’s a mistake. Brian cares about me, he’s always taken care of me.”

“Apparently he’s changed his mind. He’s asked us not to contact him any longer concerning your care.”

“I don’t believe you! He wouldn’t do that!”

“Let’s get back to the matter at hand. It is my opinion that you have anger management issues, and poor judgement when making decisions. While I agree that therapy would be appropriate, you don’t require hospitalization. I’m recommending that you receive counseling through the prison system. It’s not my place to override the court’s decision in your sentencing. Therefore, you will be required to adhere to your weekend incarceration until your time has been served.”

“So, I get to go now?”

“Yes. But I will be following up with the county prison system to make sure that you’re receiving therapy, and monitoring your progress.”

“Thank God! I’m out of here! I can’t wait to get back to Ma’s. I need a home-cooked meal, the food here is disgusting.”

~~~

Brian’s back at work today after his extended vacation, but he’s having a hard time focusing. He can’t stop thinking about Gus, and how distressed he was living at Deb’s. He’s angry that Lindsay and Mel didn’t seem to notice how Gus was impacted emotionally by their behavior. He’s more determined now about moving forward to gain full custody, although he is concerned about his ability to care for him, and if he’s able to be a good father to him. He takes a break and wanders down to the employee lounge. He overhears several of them talking about their children, one of them is showing pictures of their son’s birthday party. They all stop talking when he enters the room to get a glass of water from the cooler. He looks up and smiles at them, as they scramble to gather their things and rush back to their desks. It occurs to him that Gus’s birthday is in a couple of weeks, and he wonders what he should do for him.

He calls out. “Marcie? It is Marcie, right?”

“Yes, Mr. Kinney.”

“How old is your son?”

“My son?”

“Yes.”

“He’s three…”

“Is he in daycare right now?”

“No. Today he’s sick, so mother’s taking care of him.”

“I see…

“Mr. Kinney. I promise that it’s not a problem. I’m totally focused on my work.”

“Good. I hope he’s feeling better soon.”

“Thanks.”

Marcie almost runs away from him down the hall, she’s never really talked with him directly before. She’s only stood by when he’s cursed and critiqued storyboards, demanding that they be redone. Just like most of the employees, she’s terrified of him, but loves her job.

Back at his office, Cynthia tells him his lawyer is on the phone. Ted looks concerned and follows Brian into his office.

“Brian. Is there a problem with one of our contracts? You know I should be consulted before you speak to our attorney about any problems we’re having.”

“Theodore. It’s my personal attorney.”

“Are you being sued? You know the company could be liable. I think you should talk with me before you take this call.”

“It’s concerning Gus, about reasserting my parental rights.”

“Oh. Well. I think you can probably handle that on your own.”

Sarcastically Brian says, “I’m so glad you have faith in me.”

The rest of the morning is filled with reviewing the current ad campaigns, and the accompanying storyboards, and returning phone calls. Just before lunch he receives a call from Dr. Adler, Lindsay’s psychiatrist. As much as he doesn’t want to have to deal with her, he knows he should talk with her doctor. But not now, he’ll have to call him back this afternoon.

~~~

Back at the loft, Justin, Emmett, Daphne and Gus are painting, and of course, gossiping. Someone is pounding on the loft door. Speak of the she-devil herself, Mel pulls back the door and storms in, looking for Brian.

“Who the hell are you?”

“I’m Justin, and I assume you’re Melanie.”

“Where’s Brian!”

“He’s at work.”

Gus cowers next to Emmett, as he hears his mama yelling at Justy.

“Well. I’m here to get my son!”

“Gus! Gus, where are you?”

“I’m staying here! Daddy said I can live here now!”

“Gus. Let’s gather up your things. You’re coming with me.”

“No! I want Daddy!”

Emmett steps in. “Mel, you’re upsetting him. Why not let him stay here with Brian. He’s happy and I’m sure you have a lots of things you need to do right now. I mean, where are you going to take him? Do you even have a place to live?”

“That’s none of your business!”

“Well, considering the hell you’ve put Brian through, insisting that Gus have his own bedroom, I’m pretty sure he’s going to expect that you comply with your own standards. I know you can’t stay at Debbie’s house because of the fire. You can’t even enter it until the police and fire department have declared it safe to remove any possessions.”

“I’m going to be staying with Dusty.”

“Dusty? She has even less space than Debbie, and she has three kids.”

“I’m staying in the room above the garage.”

“Oh. Is it like a mother-in-law suite?”

“No. Not exactly. Just a studio space.”

Fuming, she realizes that she can’t take Gus to live there. Even if she had furniture, which she doesn’t, there isn’t even a shower. It’s not set up as a living space yet. She’ll have to get a hotplate, and mini fridge to even make meals. She’s fucked. She didn’t think things could get any worse, and then there’s the issue of Lindsay’s hospitalization to deal with.

“Can I at least spend some time with Gus?”

Now clinging to Justin, Gus shouts. “No! You go away! I’m mad at you!”

“Gus! Sweetheart!”

“Why don’t you come back when Brian’s home? We can have dinner and discuss things.”

“Who are you again?”

“Justin. I’m Brian’s… Ah…”

“Really? Since when does Brian have anyone in his life that he cares about?”

“Things change. He’s not the man you seem to think he is, and I doubt that he ever was. But one thing is for sure, you two need to start working together for the sake of Gus. He loves his son, and he intends to be in his life from now on.”

“You have no idea who Brian is? Don’t be deceived by his manipulations.”

“I know exactly who Brian is! Our relationship isn’t any of your business! Dinner’s at seven thirty, don’t be late.”

~~~

Cynthia calls from her desk, “Brian, where do you want all these boxes? The small conference room is getting full.”

“Full? Full of what?”

Now she’s standing in his doorway staring at him. “Full of boxes!”

“What do you mean?”

“Boxes! Things you bought on vacation, and had shipped here!”

“Oh, right. There shouldn’t be that many boxes.”

“Well there are, and there’s more to be unloaded from the truck that’s doubled parked out front.”

Cynthia walks Brian to the conference room, so he can see for himself.

“What the fuck is all this shit!”

“You tell me boss.”

“This box has a crib in it, and that’s a rocking chair!”

“Yes, and this one’s a bassinette, and that’s a changing table.”

Sticking his head in the door, Ted pipes in with, “Is there something you want to tell us?”

“You’re damn right there is! Get this shit out of here! I didn’t order any of this!”

“All the boxes are addressed to you.”

“I don’t care who they’re addressed to! Send them back!”

“It says here that they we’re shipped from some place called Safe Storage in Toronto.”

Julie, the shy receptionist interrupts. “Excuse me, Mr. Kinney. There’s an angry woman demanding to see you in the lobby, and a Dr. Adler is calling again for you.”

“Tell Dr. Adler I’ll have to call him back. Now tell me. Is she a short-haired brunette?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Tell her I’m in a meeting.”

Melanie is already storming down the hallway, as she pushes past Julie.

“Don’t you dare think you can keep me away from my son! I still have legal custody until the court hearing!”

Cynthia and Julie slink out of the room, not wanting to get caught in the crosshairs.

“Do you hear me?”

“Christ! Mel! The whole office can hear you!”

“I don’t care who hears me!”

“Calm down. Now, tell me if he goes with you, where are you going to live?”

“I’ve made arrangements to stay at Dusty’s in her studio above the garage.”

“Will Gus have his own room?”

“No! But I can set up a space for him in the corner.”

“I’m glad you found a place to stay. But Gus has his own room at my place, just like you insisted on. Shouldn’t you be required to provide him with his own room too?”

“You know I can’t afford to rent an apartment right now!”

“Won’t it be cramped once Lindsay is released from the hospital? Even for just the two of you?”

“I won’t have you breaking up my family!”

“I’m pretty sure it was broken up before you arrived in Pittsburgh!”

“Don’t think I’m going to let you get away with this!”

“Mel? Mel, you don’t look so good. Are you feeling alright?”

“Don’t worry about me!”

Mel’s forehead has beads of perspiration forming, and her face is bright red. She sways and then collapses to the floor.

Ted rushes over to her. He kneels next to her, checking her pulse, as he pats her forehead with a napkin. She starts to come around, slightly confused about what’s happened.

Ted asks. “Did the hospital release you?”

“Not exactly! I left before seeing the doctor. I just figured I was having another migraine. I’ve been getting them for a while now.”

“Did you mention this to the nurse?”

“No. It’s nothing. Like I said, I get them all the time these days. You know Lindsay’s been driving me crazy. I’m sure it’s just from all the stress I’ve been under.”

She starts shaking in Ted’s arms, and then her eyes roll back into her head, and she’s unconscious again. Listening from the hallway, Cynthia comes in to let them know an ambulance is on the way.

The paramedics come in and check her breathing, blood pressure, and look for any hematomas from her fall. Ted goes with her in the ambulance, so he can talk with the doctors and find out what’s going on. After Lindsay, Ted is listed as her POA. Brian’s a little rattled, as much as he and Mel don’t seem to get along, he does care about her.

“Ted, call and let me know how she’s doing.”

~~~

Michael gets off the bus and walks to Debbie’s. Seeing all the police tape around the house he freaks out. He tries to get in but all the doors are sealed with police stickers. There’s a sign on both doors stating that it’s not safe to enter until the scene has been released by the fire department. He calls Brian immediately, but Brian doesn’t take his call. He storms over to Kinnetik, but doesn’t make it past the front desk. Cynthia finally comes out to the lobby, to stop Michael from making a scene.

She takes him by the arm and yanks him outside. “What is your problem?”

“My problem? What’s your problem?”

“You, Michael! What are you doing here?”

“I need to see Brian.”

“How much clearer does he have to be with you? He does not want to see you, talk to you, help you, or even hear about you, or your problems! If you come back here again, I’ll call the police, and Brian will file a restraining order against you!”

“But, I need him. Ma’s house caught fire and my childhood collectables are hidden in the basement. I need to get them, before someone finds them.”

“I’ll be sure and let Brian know, so he can sell them and put the proceeds towards the money you still owe him.”

“No! No, those are mine! I’ve had them since I was a little boy!”

“You’re still a little boy. Grow up, Michael! Now, leave!”

Furious, Michael pouts and stomps away. He needs to find his mother, not because he’s worried about her, or the fire, but he needs her to drive him to the jail. It’s almost four thirty, and he can’t be late for his weekend incarceration, or they’ll add more time to his sentence…

~~~

“Brian, Dr. Adler’s nurse is on the phone.”

As much as Brian doesn’t want to be involved in Lindsay’s hospital stay, he takes the call just to remove himself as her POA with the hospital.

“Mr. Kinney?”

“Yes.”

“I’m Dr. Adler’s nurse, and he has asked that you come in, so he can talk with you about Ms. Peterson’s condition.”

“I’m not the correct person to contact, you should be calling her parents. I’ll get you their address and phone number. Please hold on.”

“Mr. Kinney. Dr. Adler thinks it’s best if you come in for a consultation with him, and possibly a joint appointment with Ms. Peterson.”

“I prefer not to be involved in her care.”

“I can understand that, but… Well… She’s under the illusion that the two of you are going to be married. She keeps saying that she’s pregnant, and you’re the father. We’ve submitted blood work, and we should have the test results back this afternoon. Her treatment will depend upon the test results.”

“I can assure you that I’m not the father. I haven’t seen Lindsay in the last six months, and I definitely haven’t had sex with her in the last decade.”

“I see… There is one more thing. Apparently Ms. Peterson’s health insurance policy has expired.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

“Do you know who I should contact concerning her hospital bills?”

Brian can feel a headache coming on as he squeezes the bridge of his nose.

“I’ll look into it and get back with you.”

“Thank you, Mr. Kinney. You should be expecting a call back from Dr. Adler.”

Before he can say anything, she’s already hung up the phone and all he hears is a dial tone in his ear. He feels like punching the wall, or pounding a shot of beam. But he won’t. He’s come a long way towards changing his behavior, and he won’t let the munchers’ issues push him over the edge.

“Brian. Ted’s on the phone for you.”

“Theodore! Put Melanie on the phone. Now!”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Brian. She’s had an aneurysm in the ambulance, and they’re prepping her for surgery.”

It takes Brian a minute to absorb what Ted’s saying. He knows this is bad, and as much as he wants to push the munchers’ responsibility off unto others, he knows he needs to step up and take charge.

“Ted, can you check her purse for her health insurance card, and see if the policy is active? I’m pretty sure that both she and Lindsay’s policies have expired. See if they can be reinstated, or if they can be put onto Kinnetik’s policy. You’ll also have to add Gus to my policy, and while you’re at it, can you add Justin as well.”

“Brian, I don’t see a problem adding Gus to your policy. But I’ll have to check and see about the others. I’m pretty sure you have to have a family relationship to add anyone to the insurance policy.”

“If that’s the case, I guess I’ll have to buy insurance policies for the girls, but go ahead and add Justin to mine.”

“Bri… He’d have to be your husband to do that.”

“Yes, I realize that, Ted.”


“So, you’re getting married?”

“Theodore! Just do it!”

“Okay, Bri.”

“One more thing. Can you check in with Dr. Adler’s nurse and find out the results of Lindsay’s pregnancy test?”

“You think she might really be pregnant?”

“How the fuck should I know what these crazy lesbians have been up to?”

“Okay, Boss… I’ll get back to you when I know more about what’s going on.”

“Thanks, Ted. I owe you.”

“No problem”

Cynthia shouts from her desk…

“Brian! The truck driver won’t take back any of the boxes, and the rest of them are now crowding the lobby.”

“Fuck! Are all the boxes full of baby shit?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, see if you can get the driver to move all of the boxes to another location just a few blocks away.”

“You’re going to store all of them at Babylon?”

“No! I think it would be best if we moved them to Justin’s studio/gallery space. It’s just a warehouse right now.”

“Justin’s opening an art gallery?”

“He’s been talking about it. He hasn’t decided what he’s doing with the old garage just yet, since he no longer plans on living there.”

“And Cyn, see if the movers can take all the boxes from Italy to the loft. Tell them I’ll give them a thousand dollars for moving everything.”

“A thousand dollars? That’s a lot of money!”

“Just get all these boxes away from me. They’re making my skin crawl.”

“Okay, boss. Is someone going to be at Justin’s warehouse?”

Brian feels like screaming…

“Have them go to the loft first, and Justin will give them the key. I’ll have Chad meet them at the warehouse.”

“You mean Tad, the maintenance man.”

Brian just glares at her, then turns and goes into his office, slamming the door.

It’s his first day back, and he’s starting to feel like he never even had a vacation.

~~~

Debbie and Jennifer walk around the townhouse complex. The buildings are midcentury modern, with lots of gardens, and walkways in the common area and around the pool. It has two large bedrooms upstairs, each with their own bathrooms, and a laundry room. The back bedroom has an upper deck with benches and planter boxes around the edge. The whole townhouse has huge windows on both floors that run floor to ceiling, providing lots of sunlight. The main floor is an open space with a big kitchen, and a counter that separates the kitchen and dining room. The living room is twice the size of the kitchen and dining area, with sliding glass doors leading out to a garden patio that looks out at the pool area. There’s a finished walkout basement, with a sliding glass door leading to the back of the house, and a private fence around the yard. The basement is one large room with a small galley kitchen, and lots of storage cabinets along the walls. It’s a perfect rec room for watching TV, doing crafts and holding PFLAG meetings.

This is the fourth place they’ve looked at today. It’s an older complex that was built in the sixties. The other condos were nice, but this one is more to Debbie’s liking. Each townhouse is a separate building, with well-established landscaping. The yard and building maintenance are included in the monthly membership fees, so there’s no worries about having to pay for upkeep and repairs.

“This townhouse is perfect, Jennifer. I can’t believe we found such a nice place. It’s actually bigger than my house, and I love its character. It already feels like home.”

“I’m so glad you like it, Debbie. I agree it’s perfect for you.”

“You know I still can’t believe you’re Justin’s mom. We’ve known each other for years from PFLAG, but I have never met your son. He and Brian seem perfect for each other, and it’s time Brian finally settled down. Justin is just the right person to show Brian what a real family should be like.”

“Oh, I agree. Brian is just what Justin needs. He’s so smart, charming and yet playful. Not to mention that Gus is adorable, just like his father. Brian brings out the confidence in Justin that’s been missing since… Well, you know, since the bashing.”

“I’m so sorry that happened to him. I still can’t believe that monster got off with a slap on the wrist.”

“Thanks, Deb. I know what you mean. But society just wasn’t as accepting at that time, like it is now.”

“Justin makes Brian a better man, if that makes sense. He’s happy. I mean truly happy, and I’ve never seen Brian like that before. I’m so glad they found each other, and Justin seems to know just how to keep Brian in line. But don’t ever tell him I said that, he’d totally freak out.”

“I guess this makes us in-laws, kind of.”

“It does, doesn’t it? Now, I know this is the place for me, but I want Brian to come and see it. I’d feel more comfortable if he read through all the documents before I signed anything.”

“Of course. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

~~~

“Hey. You’re home early.”

“Yeah. I just couldn’t take anymore bullshit. I’m not used to all the chaos at work, after spending so much time with you, relaxing.”

“Aww… That is so sweet. You missed me.”

Ignoring Justin’s love taunt, Brian asks. “What’s for dinner?”

“Oh, about that. I invited Gus’s mother to join us.”

“She’s not coming.”

“Brian. Don’t be that way. Besides, we really need to sit down and work out some rules and boundaries about Gus’s care.”

“We will… Just not right now. She’s been re-admitted into the hospital. We’ll talk about it after Gus is asleep.”

“Okay. Is everything alright, though?”

“No. We’ll talk later.”

Later that evening after dinner…

“Can we have popcorn while we watch Cinderella, please?”

“Yes, Gus. But put on your pajamas first.”

“No. Not yet!”

“Gus. If you put them on now, we won’t have to wake you up when the movie’s over. Besides, I bought you new pajamas.”

Gus pouts. He wants to stay up with Justin and his dad. After being separated from Brian for almost a year he wants to spend every waking moment with him.

“I’ll tell you what, we’ll all put on our pajamas before the movie starts.”

Brian looks at him, smirking. “We will?”

“Yes, daddy. I bought all of us new pajamas this afternoon. That way we don’t have to scramble to put something on when Gus jumps into bed with us in the mornings.”

“Daddy! Look, our jammies match! I love being just like you!”

Feeling his heart warm, he smiles, wondering why he was always so resistant to the idea of loving someone and having a family.

TBC…