Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:
Brian reacts badly when he finds out about Justin’s visit to see Lindsay…

Title: My Rich, Arrogant Boyfriend…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 4384
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: Bigj52
Banner: Original banner by Weird Wacky World, updated banner by me.
Series: Rich, Arrogant… This is Part 2 of a 3 Part series.

Summary: Brian and Justin’s relationship has taken many twists and turns along the way, but they both want to find a way to move forward together. Will they be able to work things out, and accept each other’s needs, or will they go their separate ways?

Chapter Summary: Brian reacts badly when he finds out about Justin’s visit to see Lindsay…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

My Rich, Arrogant Boyfriend

Chapter 11 ~ Anger, Attitude and Compromise

Justin’s POV
I can’t sleep. I’m lying in bed with my back to Brian. I feel Brian shifting around beside me. He’s restless and I know he’s still upset with me. We’re both being stubborn, believing we’re right. Finally he gets up, and walks to the windows. As he looks out at the night, I can see his silhouette illuminated from the glowing embers of his cigarette.

This is our first fight, and I know I need to make this right. I hate feeling like this, but I just refuse to apologize to him, especially when I didn’t do anything wrong! Yet, I can’t stop our argument that keeps replaying in my head. I know I reacted badly, and I know he’s probably right.

Earlier that evening…

“Justin! What the fuck were you thinking! I can’t believe you would do something so stupid!”

“Brian! Daphne got the whole conversation on video. Can’t you see this is a good thing?”

“You don’t know her! You don’t know how dangerous she might be!”

“She didn’t seem dangerous!”

“She’s unstable! Unpredictable! Delusional!”

“I agree she’s delusional, but she hardly seems dangerous!”

“Oh! How do you think she’s going to react when she finds out you’re my husband? Do you think she’s going to congratulate us, and send us a wedding present! She’s going to totally lose it! According to you, she’s already planning a wedding and fantasizing about her future with me. She thinks we’re moving to suburbia, that we’re building a house! Hell, she’s already designing a nursery! What do you think she’ll do when she finds out we’re going to raise the baby, not her!”

I stand there with my arms folded across my chest, angry. Until I realize that I’m doing a pretty good Mikey imitation.

“You’re not to ever go back there again! Do you hear me?”

“Are you telling me what I can and can’t do?”

“Yes! I wouldn’t think I would have to, but apparently I do! Just so we’re clear, do not ever go and visit Lindsay, or Michael without my approval!”

“Your approval? Are you kidding me? You think I need your approval! Listen Mr. Kinney, I don’t take orders from you!”

Things just deteriorated from there, and now it’s three o’clock in the morning and we’re both miserable.

Listening to Brian yell at me, all I could hear was Ethan belittling me, making me feel worthless. He always tried to manipulate and control me, and I’ll be damned if I let Brian pull this same bullshit!


Brian’s POV
I shouldn’t have talked to him like that. I treated him like a child, but he just made me so angry. I know Lindsay’s never been violent before, but she’s also never been this delusional before. At first I thought she was just being manipulative, but her mental health has declined steadily over the last month. According to her doctors she lives mostly in her fantasy world, content to daydream away the hours, believing that all her dreams are coming true. I always laughed off all her and Michael’s fantasies about me. But I realize now that I should have made it perfectly clear that I would never be either of their husbands. And now I have to figure out how to repair the damage I’ve caused between me and my actual husband.

I don’t have any experience with relationships, and I’ve never apologized to anyone, especially when I believe that I’m right. But, even if I am right, I need to fix things between us. I hate the way things are right now, and I need him. This crazy thing with Lindsay freaks me out, and I am worried about him. I have no idea what she might do, and I don’t want him in harm’s way. She has the ability to really hurt him professionally, using her many contacts in the art world. I have no doubt that she’d have no problem slandering his reputation if she felt threatened. And I think that’s a given once she learns the truth about me, Justin, and the baby.

~~~

Justin’s POV
Brian left early this morning, after sleeping on the sofa last night. Gus is playing with the kittens as I make my way to the kitchen to fix breakfast. Looking around the living room, it looks like tornado Gus made a landing while Brian was getting ready for work.

“What happened out here, buddy?”

“Aaah… It looks like the kittens made a big mess.”

“It sure does. Why don’t you help me pick up all your toys and then I’ll make you some waffles.”

“That sounds great! I love waffles!”

I feel bad about last night, and I wonder how I can make things right between us. I call Daphne and invite her to breakfast, hoping she’ll have some ideas. She’s so happy when she gets here, but her mood sours as she listens to my side of the argument.

“I’m sorry, Justin, but I can totally see where Brian’s coming from.”

“What the fuck are you talking about? It was your idea that we go there in the first place!”

“I know, but you should have been more sensitive to Brian’s point of view.”

“I can’t believe you’re taking his side!”

“I’m not taking anyone’s side. I’m just saying that marriage is about compromise. You need to be more understanding. You need to stop thinking that you’re always right.”

Justin is fuming! He’s so angry with Daphne, feeling like she’s turned on him, and set him up. Because it’s her fault that this whole situation happened in the first place. He didn’t even want to go visit Lindsay. There’s a knock on the door, and Emmett sashays in, carrying a box of dress-up clothes for him and Gus to play with today. Both Daphne and Justin rush out, saying they need to be somewhere.

“Well, it looks like it’s just you and me, kid.”

“Good! I’m glad. They were both really grumpy this morning.”

“Don’t worry. We’re going to have a great day playing dress up.”

“Auntie Em, do you think you can finish making me waffles?”

“You bet, Gussy. Let’s get changed into our ball gowns and then we can have tea time.”

~~~

I was so frustrated with Daphne, feeling like she betrayed me when I needed her help to fix things with Brian. Jumping into the jeep I just drive around, and when I stop, I realize I’m in the parking lot of my favorite art supplies store. I load up on a dozen different sized canvases, and splurge on the best brushes and paints they sell. I even buy several new easels, large and small. I need to get my aggression out, and I want to paint something huge. I arrange to have everything delivered to my empty garage later this afternoon. Looking at my watch I realize that I’m going to be late if I don’t hurry. After circling the parking lot I finally find a space, and rush into the court house.

~~~

Michael’s Court Hearing…

“Your Honor. Mr. Taylor-Kinney has requested to make a statement for the record.”

Justin’s surprised because he didn’t have time to ask to speak during the hearing, like he planned to.

“This is a simple sentencing hearing for Mr. Novotny breaking the courts’ orders. What could Mr. Taylor-Kinney possibly have to say that would add any value to my decision? I won’t be sentencing Mr. Novotny on his new charges of child abuse until next week.”

“Your Honor. If you’ll grant him permission to speak, it would be greatly appreciated.”

“All right. I’ll make an exception just this once.”

“The court calls Mr. Taylor-Kinney to the stand.”

Brian’s sitting in the last row of the court room, not wanting to give Michael the impression that he’s here to support him, because he’s not. He’d like to see Michael thrown in jail for the remainder of his life if possible. He stands ready to walk to the front of the court room, when he sees Justin take the stand. ‘What the fuck is he doing here?’

Justin takes his seat on the witness stand. As he’s sworn in by the court clerk, Michael glares at him from the defendant’s table. Justin’s nervous, and he’s starting to wonder if this is a good idea. Brian slides down in his seat, not wanting Justin to see him. He’s not at all happy with this turn of events, he thought he made himself perfectly clear last night.

“Thank you, Your Honor for allowing me to speak. I’m not here to question your decisions in sentencing Michael Novotny. I just wanted to explain that this situation started off being a simple case of misunderstanding, and then it just escalated from there.”

Justin clears his throat, wishing he had a bottle of water as his nerves start acting up.

“You see, Mr. Novotny stopped by to visit his friend when I was measuring the space for the remodel Mr. Kinney hired me to do.”

“That would be your husband?”

“Yes, Your Honor. Although he wasn’t my husband at that time.”

“I see. Please continue.”

“Mr. Novotny was confused and thought I was a burglar, and that I was there to steal from his friend. He called the police, and the situation got out of control and ended up with us in a fist fight. I agree that we were both angry, and could have used better judgement. Needless to say, Mr. Novotny’s attitude only became worse, as I’m sure you recall, having presided over his hearing at the time.”

Justin’s throat is parched, and his voice is cracking a little. The court clerk brings him a glass and a pitcher of water. After pouring a glass, he continues.

“What I’m trying to say, sir, is that Michael doesn’t always use his best judgement. He seems to have anger issues, which have exacerbated his situation. I understand that he has a problem with my relationship with my husband, which has clouded his judgment and conduct. He’s more of a petulant child than a hardened criminal. He’s never been in trouble with the law before, and I’m sure he regrets his actions. At the time his small business was going bankrupt, and he was struggling financially.”

“Mr. Taylor-Kinney, you’re here defending Mr. Novotny even though you’re the one that he assaulted? I’m having a hard time understanding why you would be supporting him under the circumstances.”

“I know it’s a little unusual. But I’m sure Michael regrets his actions, and that prison may not be the best place for him. I believe that Michael needs counseling, and anger management therapy. He has had unrealistic expectations about the direction his life would go, and I believe that psychotherapy would help him to accept the changes he’s experiencing. I would be willing to pay for his therapy, as well as a training program or community college, so he could get an education to help him support himself and have a productive future.”

“That’s a very generous offer. Especially considering how Mr. Novotny feels about you. I need to understand why you’d be willing to help him out.”

Brian is flabbergasted, as he’d also like to understand why Justin would be willing to help Michael out.

“While I was very angry with him when this started, as well as when he injured my stepson, Gus, I don’t really believe that Michael meant to actually harm anyone. My husband and Michael have been friends since junior high school. I’m worried about how this is affecting both of them, and the possibility of the damage becoming irreparable, if this situation isn’t resolved. Although I doubt that Michael and I will ever become friends, I don’t want him to lose his friendship with my husband, Brian, or any of his other friends. Like I said, I believe that with therapy, Michael will be able to turn his life around. ”

“So, let me understand this. You want the court to drop all charges against Mr. Novotny, and require him to attend psychological therapy, as well as anger management training, and for him to complete a job training program?”

“Yes, Your Honor. With the caveat that if Michael doesn’t attend therapy, and complete his job training program, he’ll be required to serve his full prison sentence before being released.”

“This is a very unusual request. I’ll need to give this some thought. The court will be in recess for a half hour, and I’ll have my determination when court resumes.”

The whole time Justin was on the stand, Michael continued to glare at him. He resents Justin’s opinion of him, and he’s confused as to why he would want to help him. He slowly starts to understand that he is being given a second chance, and that he might actually be released from jail instead of serving anymore time for abusing Gus. When the judge declared a recess, he turns and looks around the courtroom, hoping to see Brian sitting in the gallery. But Brian slipped out the side door, not wanting to be seen by Michael or Justin. Even though Michael’s relieved by today’s turn of events, he can’t find it in himself to thank Justin for speaking on his behalf, and offering him a chance to get an education.

Justin approaches Michael and his public defender, asking if they could talk in the cafeteria during the recess. The prison guard nods, agreeing to accompany them, instead of escorting Michael to a holding cell until court resumes. Once seated at the table, Michael snidely asks, “Where’s Brian?”

“I assume he’s working. He left for the office early this morning.”

“So he sent you here instead, to do his bidding?”

“That would be no. I know he’s still angry about the way you treated Gus. After spending time with Gus in the emergency room, he reflected on his own childhood, and the treatment he received from his parents. So you should probably be grateful that he isn’t here in court today. He’s still very angry with you.”

“I don’t believe you. He would never go against me!”

“Well, he isn’t here showing you his support, now is he, Michael? I meant what I said on the stand. I really do feel that prison isn’t the best place for you. I know you’re having trouble accepting my relationship with Brian. But, please believe me, I didn’t pursue Brian. I never expected to fall in love with him. But I have, and we’re in love. Both our lives have changed dramatically in the past six months. We’re married. We have full custody of Gus, and will be raising Lindsay’s new baby as our own, once the baby is born in January.”

“So you expect me to believe that Brian is now a happy homo family man? That’s total bullshit!”

“I know it seems unlikely but please understand. Brian would still be raising his children as a single parent, if we had never met, and Lindsay’s situation would still be the same as it is now. This has nothing to do with me, he loves his children. And even though he sometimes questions if he’ll be a good father, he wants to try. He needs to prove to himself that he isn’t his father, and he does love his children.”

“He never wanted that life!”

“I understand that, but I think that’s because we was afraid. He saw how unhappy his parents were, and suffering physical and emotional abuse made him question his worth. He hid his desires for a domestic life, for fear that he could never be loved in that way. I believe he desperately wants, no, needs to experience what most everyone takes for granted. A normal, loving and caring family and home life.”

“I always thought it would be me. I thought I’d be the one to give him what he missed growing up in that torture chamber.”

“I know, and I understand, but can’t you see? He needs you to be there for him as his best friend. You stood by him when he needed you the most, and for that I’m grateful. But you mistook his need for a good friend as a future for the two of you as a couple. He still needs you in his life as his good friend, but your petty jealousy is making him turn away from you. And that’s one of the reasons I’m here today, to try and help save that friendship. I know we’ll never be friends. But I’m hoping that we can put the past behind us for Brian’s sake, and be cordial towards one another. Because Brian and I are going to be married for the foreseeable future, and if you can’t accept that… I’d hate for you to make him choose, because you’d lose him forever. He’s never going to turn his back on his family.”

Justin glanced over at the prison guard sitting at the end of the table, keeping an eye on Michael. He nods sympathetically at Justin. It’s unusual, if ever, that a prisoner is given a second chance to put his life back on track. And even though most of the guards and other prisoners have grown to detest the conniving weasel, he hopes that Michael accepts the help being offered to him. He checks his watch, seeing that it’s time, and motions for them to return to court.

Michael keeps playing Justin’s words back in his head. Is it possible that Brian really has changed? Does he want to be a full-time parent and husband? Even when he daydreamed of being Brian’s husband, that’s not the life he fantasized about. His was more about traveling with Brian on business trips, long weekends in fancy hotels, expensive dinners and frequenting gay bars around the globe.

The judge enters the court room, and Michael is ordered to stand to hear his sentence.

“Mr. Novotny, I have reviewed your court case, and I must tell you that I’m appalled by your behavior and disrespect for the court. Your flagrant disregard of the judgment, verdicts and rulings against you is beyond contempt. The new charge of child abuse against you is very serious, and it’s something that cannot be overlooked by the court. Therefore I am sentencing you to two additional years that will be served consecutively with your current sentence.”

Michael’s attorney says, “Your Honor. Please.”

“Quiet! I’m not finished. I want the official record to show the verdict of your behavior concerning the welfare of a child. Thereby, if you should fail to comply with the requirements of my judgement it will be on file to be enforced in the future. After much consideration of Mr. Taylor-Kinney’s plea for lenience on your behalf, I agree that an extended prison sentence may not be the best solution. He has made you a very generous offer, one that is rarely seen in the judicial system these days. You don’t have a record of petty crimes in your past, and it seems that your current situation has escalated from a simple assault to blatant disrespect for the court. So it is with much skepticism that I am waiving my current judgment against you, although you will still be obligated to serve your original judgment from the court.”

“Therefore, you will be required to report to the Allegheny Prison by 5 pm every Friday evening, through Monday morning at 9 am. During your weekend stay, you will complete your assigned tasks to the best of your ability, and in a timely manner. You will be required to live in the assigned halfway house during the week days. Again you will be expected to complete your assigned daily duties without complaint, and to adhere to the curfew and rules of the house. You will attend therapy sessions to address your anger and emotional issues. You will be given a skills assessment test, to help you determine what would be the best training program that fits your abilities. The court, as well as the halfway house manager will receive weekly reports on your behavior and skills development, to make sure that you are adhering to the programs.”

“Let me reiterate. Should you not comply with the requirements as I have set forth, or should you not complete the training program, your previous court judgments will be reinstated, as well as today’s judgment. Upon completing your sentence, your parole will be determined upon your behavior. You will continue to live at the halfway house until your training program is completed, and you are gainfully employed and able to support yourself.”

“Do you have any questions, Mr. Novotny?”

Michael’s attorney says, “No, Your Honor.”

Michael’s fidgeting, his attorney turns and whispers. “Shut up and don’t say a word.”

“Thank you, Your Honor. Your leniency is much appreciated.”

“Mr. Novotny, I hope you take some time to reflect upon today’s hearing, and appreciate the new judgment that has been imposed. You have been given a second chance, and I hope you take full advantage of the situation. You could have a bright future ahead of you, should you choose to embrace it.”

“Thank you, Your Honor.”

With that the court hearing was over. Justin left the court house, without seeing Brian standing off to the side of the building.

~~~

Justin wanders around his garage/warehouse. He had completely forgotten that Brian had stored all the merchandise from Lindsay’s baby shopping spree here. After spending a few minutes looking at the boxes, seeing just what it is that she bought, he goes up and sits on his mid-century modern furniture, thinking about how much has changed since that day he and Emmett traipsed through the antique/resale shops together. He was so excited about designing his new apartment and art studio back then. Now he’s a married man, with a son and a new baby coming soon. While vacationing in New England, after he and Brian married, he was thinking about opening an art gallery here in the warehouse space. But the more he thinks about that idea, he knows that’s not for him. The last thing he needs is another business to run. He already doesn’t seem to have time to paint, and he’s not seeking any new clients for his interior design business.

He stands near the railing, looking down at the huge open space below. He’s once again amazed by all the natural sunlight flooding the space. He loves the windows running around the whole expanse of the upper level of the building, and the thin blue neon light below them. He had forgotten how much this space inspired him, and as he recalls, Brian was really impressed with it as well. He’s brought back to reality when he hears the delivery truck pull up out back. He goes and unlocks the back door, ushering the delivery men to the elevator to take all his art supplies up to his studio. He’s almost embarrassed that he bought so much stuff, because he has enough canvases to keep him busy painting for the next six months. Not to mention all the sable hair paint brushes, acrylics, oil paints, charcoals, pencils, sketch books and easels. He loves the children’s size easel, knowing that Gus will be excited to paint alongside of him.

~~~

Justin makes his way back to the loft and he’s surprised to see Brian.

“Hey. You’re home.”

“I thought I’d surprise you, and come home early. So, how was your day, dear?”

Justin looks up at Brian, and he already knows Brian knows he went to Michael’s hearing.

“Stressful.”

“Oh?”

“Listen, Brian. I don’t want to fight. I already feel bad about last night, not that I think I was wrong.”

“I know… Me too…”

“Where’s Gus?”

“He’s having a sleepover with his grandmother.”

“Deb?”

“No. Your mom.”

“Are you cooking something?”

“Yeah.”

“Really? What are you making? It smells wonderful.”

“Linguini Alfredo.”

“How did you know that’s my favorite?”

“I had a little help from Mother Taylor.”

Justin comes over and tastes the creamy sauce.

“It needs a little salt.”

Brian scrunches up his nose. “I don’t want to add too much.

“I’ll take care of it.”

“I can start the linguini whenever you’re hungry. I’ve got shrimp and scallops to add as well.”

“Wow. You really went all out.”

Justin thinks to himself. ‘He’s really trying.’

“Brian. I’m sorry about last night. I hated waking up without you next to me.”

“Me too. The sofa really isn’t that comfortable, and it was weird not having you wrapped around my body, and drooling on my chest.”

“I don’t…” Justin bites his tongue.

“I missed you too. Let’s not do that again. Let’s promise each other that we’ll never go to bed angry.”

“Okay. Even if it means we stay up all night arguing, until we call a truce.”

“Sounds good. And the makeup sex will be so worth it.”

“Is that an invitation?”

“Absolutely.”

Justin turns to go up the stairs to the bedroom.

“Justin. Let’s talk about court before I fuck you into next week.”

“Who told you?”

“I was in the back row, and I heard everything.”

Justin looks nervous. “Oh.”

“At first I didn’t get it. I wanted the judge to fry his ass. But then I listened to what you had to say, and I was impressed that you were willing to give him a second chance. You’re much more forgiving than I am.”

“Brian, I didn’t forgive him. I still hate what he did, and I know we’ll never be friends. But I also don’t want to be responsible for his downfall. This way it’s now up to him what direction his life takes.”

“You’re a good man. A better man than me. But I don’t think there’s much of a chance that Michael and I will ever be close friends again. Even before all this bullshit happened, we were already growing apart.”

“I know, and I’m sorry. It’s hard to lose a close friend. Two close friends.”

“Yeah. Well, I’ve got you!”

Justin grins and start running towards the stairs, letting his clothes drop to the floor behind him as he goes. By the time he reaches the bed he’s naked and wanting.

TBC…