Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here is an update at last!!  Sorry for the long delay.

The Taylor-Kinneys Do Disney

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad" & "Holiday Happenings".  You don't have to read those stories first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews. 

 

I don't own the original QAF characters just the situations I create.  No copyright infringement intended.

 

Chapter 4

 

The next morning Brian and Justin were up early and ordered breakfast to be delivered.  While the boys devoured breakfast Brian & Justin relaxed on the deck.  Brian was getting a bit fed up with Disney & "magical" days and kept Justin laughing at his caustic commentary regarding their trip.  Justin thought that it was probably a good thing that today was their last day in Florida.

 

Brian went inside to refill their coffee cups.  Peter was outside & beside Justin so quickly, he must have been watching & waiting to get Uncle Justin alone.   

 

Justin looked at Peter and smiled, he was very aware that Peter preferred to deal with him.  He loved his Uncle Brian but was still a little wary about interacting with him.

 

"Uncle Justin can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure Buddy, what's up?"

 

"Well... Josh, Joe and I have been talking.  Do you think it would be okay for Joe to sit with us on the flight home?"

 

Justin shrugged.  "If you guys don't mind three in the row it's fine.  Joe does have to ask Debbie and let her know he won't be sitting with her."

 

Peter nodded.

 

"Debbie and Grandmom Jen sat together so Joe didn't really sit with her, he was in another row."

 

Brian came out on the deck holding two mugs of coffee.  He handed one to Justin before resuming his seat on the chair next to him.

 

"So Peter, what were you afraid to talk about in front of me?"

 

Justin laughed and Peter blushed with embarrassment. 

 

"I wanted to know if it was okay for Joe to set with Josh and me on the flight home."

 

Brian looked confused.

 

"And why do think I would care about that?"

 

Peter looked to Justin for some support but he was still chuckling and provided no help.

 

"Well I didn't think you'd care but I just wanted to check with Uncle Justin."

 

Brian shrugged.

 

"The only seats I care about are mine and making sure Justin's seat is next to mine."

 

Peter just rolled his eyes and walked back into the house.  Brian sat in his chair and took a sip of coffee.  An amused Justin put his hand on Brian's arm.

 

"I don't think Peter has as much Kinney genes as you and John."

 

Brian smirked.

 

"He has the part of the gene pool that makes him want to spend time with a certain Taylor man."

 

Both men laughed as they enjoyed relaxing together.   A short time later they got ready for another day at the Magic Kingdom with Gus & Kevin.  Today they would visit Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom.

 

Grandmom Jen offered to accompany Peter, Josh & Joe and was thrilled when the boys were actually genuinely pleased by the offer.  The four of them headed off to meet up with their VIP guide.  John & Patrick left for their own adventure a short time later.

 

Finally Justin had anointed everyone with sun block and made sure that Gus & Kevin were wearing hats.  They left for the Magic Kingdom and their first stop of the day at the Swiss Family Robinson tree house.  Brian tried to skip out of the tree house tour but Justin took Kevin's hand and told Gus to "hold Daddy's hand so we don't get separated.   Justin ignored the annoyed look Brian sent his way.

 

A short time later as an excited Gus pulled his father along, often turning to his Papa & Kevin to announce how "awesome" something was.  Amused by his son's excitement Brian turned to Justin and smiled.  He was rewarded by an answering Sunshine smile.

 

Next was a short walk to the Jungle Cruise.  Brian thought it was over the top, cutesy magical but the boys were enthralled.  Justin was amused by the disgruntled look on Brian's face and his non-committal grunted answers to Gus's comments about "how cool" this ride was.

 

The magical Tiki Room was just across from the cruise ride exit.  Justin was shocked when Brian laughed out loud at the antics of the mechanical tiki birds.  When they exited Justin led the way to Liberty Square and the Hall of the Presidents.  Along the way Gus & Kevin posed for a photo with Aladdin.

 

They actually met up with Jennifer and the three middle boys at the Hall of Presidents, which thrilled Gus & Kevin.  Afterwards Justin suggested lunch at the Crystal Palace which made Brian smirk but was a popular suggestion with all the boys.

 

Their guides decided to take a break while everyone else had lunch.  They arranged to meet up later with Brian & Justin at the Pirates of the Caribbean.  Jennifer and the other boys arranged to meet their guide in Tomorrowland.

 

Dark clouds were starting to quickly move in and the first clap of thunder sounded as they entered the restaurant.  The found two empty tables next to each other.  Justin & Jennifer took orders for lunch and went up to the counter while Brian stayed with the boys.

 

A flash of lightning and a building rattling clap of thunder and a terrified Kevin was in Brian's lap.  A startled Brian did recover enough to put his arms around Kevin.  Gus came over to offer his friend some comfort but Kevin remained wide eyed with terror.

 

The restaurant rapidly filled with people as the torrential rain started outside.  Jennifer & Justin made their way back with the food.  Justin gently rubbed Kevin's back as Brian gave him a helpless look.

 

Justin squatted down to be eye level with Kevin.

 

"Buddy, I know the storm seems frightening but they have storms like this all the time in Florida.  Disney has lots of things called lightning rods installed here.  Those rods are all way up high.  They attract the lightning and carry the electricity down into the ground.  That protects everything lower than the rods from getting struck.

 

We are all safe here in this building, I promise."

 

Kevin looked into Justin's face.  Gus, standing next to Justin, smiled at his friend.

 

"Papa is really smart, even Daddy always says he is smart.  He knows what he is talking about."

 

Kevin looked a little less scared and did agree to move off Uncle Brian's lap to eat his lunch.  He happily settled into a seat between Grandmom Jen & Gus.  Uncle Justin sat across the table and Kevin felt reassured by Uncle Justin's smile and the proximity of Grandmom Jen even as the storm raged outside.

 

Luckily the storm passed as quickly as it begun.  Jennifer, Peter, Josh & Joe continued on their adventures.  Brian & Justin with Gus & Kevin met their guide at the Pirates of the Caribbean just a little later than the original plan.

 

*************************************************************************************

 

Melanie, Lindsay, JR & Debbie were able to make it back to their hotel before the storm.  They waited it out in the windowless hallway outside their room which kept JR from freaking out.  Once the storm passed they headed out to the pool.  JR and her mommies spent time playing the pool until JR was ready for a nap. 

 

Lindsay took JR up to their room while Melanie settled on a lounger next to Debbie.  Debbie stretched with a smile on her face.

 

"This has been a great getaway.  I hate to think of going back home tomorrow."

 

Melanie grunted.

 

"I'll be glad to get on the plane.  I hate being here with everyone judging me.  Brian playing Mr Magnanimous is working my last nerve.  He just loves showing off how much money he has.  Well it bought him the twink he always wanted.  Jennifer playing as lady bountiful with all those boys sucking up to her, is just a little hard to take.  She doesn't miss a chance to criticize JR since she isn't part of that little fan club."

 

A shocked Debbie sat up in her lounger and looked over at Melanie.

 

"Wow Honey.  You are carrying around a lot of baggage.  Brian has spent a lot of money on this trip but I haven't seen him talking about it.  Actually, if you want my opinion, you could've offered to kick in for dinner the other night."

 

"Yeah that's just what I wanted to do when Grandmom Jen let me know how inadequate a parents she considers me to be.  That's a little hard to take from a woman who let her husband throw their teenage son out of his home because he was gay.

 

That teenage son, that I always tried to support, has recently forgotten all that support.  Now that he has Brian's financial backing he expects everyone to just bow down to his wishes."

 

Debbie continued to just look at Melanie who has also sat up and was looking flushed.

 

"Mel, you need to calm yourself down.  I'm worried about you."

 

"Well you are the only fucking person who is worried about me.  Everyone else just wants to judge and second guess every decision I make about my own kids."

 

"I think you are overreacting.  I know you have a lot on your plate.  It's been a rough year but I think JR needs a little extra care.  It has been kind of obvious that she has been the only child here that has acted up."

 

Melanie let out a bitter laugh.

 

"So now YOU are going to give me parenting advice.  I don't know that everyone would agree that you are the ideal person to give advice on that topic."

 

Debbie smiled.

 

"Yes, I am aware that I made mistakes raising Michael.  I did the best I could.  I understand you feel overwhelmed, I certainly felt that way.  My parents threw me out as soon as they found out I was pregnant.  Unlike Jennifer they never regretted their decision.  They never did what they could to correct their behavior.

 

You have a good education and the ability to make a good living.  I had no skills.  You have always gotten support for Gus.  Michael's father never knew he had a child, probably another mistake I made.  I would have been grateful for any support but you always resented what Brian gave Lindsay.  Both you girls used Gus as a bargaining chip to get what you wanted.

 

Now you are unhappy because Brian has stopped being your whipping boy and has demanded his rights as a father because even with his support you and Lindsay fucked up your life."

 

Melanie started to say something but Debbie talked right over her.

 

"I believe it is time for you to fucking listen to some hard facts.  First I love JR and would give my life for her but you have allowed my granddaughter to become a brat.  You always say Brian and Justin spoil Gus but they never let him talk back or be rude.

 

You want Sunshine to be grateful because you were nice to him when he first appeared.  That seems to be a minimum of good behavior.  I honestly don't recall any time you went out on a limb for him or did anything extraordinary. 

 

How dare you say Justin is with Brain because of his money.  You fucking know that is a lie!  Brian never lied to Sunshine, everyone criticized him for not being monogamous.   He never said he would be in the beginning of their relationship.

 

Brian was there for Justin in all the important ways.  He probably saved Justin life when that goddamn lunatic hit him with a baseball bat.  He was there for him when Sunshine was all fucked up emotionally after he got out of the hospital. 

 

Brian paid Sunshine's tuition when his asshole father wouldn't.  I know he continued to pay that tuition even when Justin left him to be with that little prick Ethan.  You let Justin sleep on your couch a few times, does that really fucking compare to what Brian has done?"

 

Debbie looked right at Melanie.    "Well nothing to say?"

 

"I just hate that I have no control over my life.  Nothing that happened gave Justin Taylor the right to threaten me with stopping JR tuition and foreclosing on the house mortgage.  I hate having to grovel to the two of them because they gave us some money.  It's not like it forced them to alter their lifestyle."

 

Debbie laughed.

 

"Honey I have no idea what you are talking about with Sunshine threatening you.  If he did do that I would guess that it was because you really pissed him off.  My second guess about what would have made him that fucking angry is that you criticized Brian.  You surely know how protective they are of each other.

 

Those boys have given me money for years.  I won't take it outright but they both leave money on the table when they have lunch at the diner.  They always deny it when I confront them.  I realize it is a stupid game we play.  They insisted on paying off my mortgage so I don't have to work as hard and can put something aside for my retirement.  Neither of them has ever held that over my head or expected me to grovel.

 

I know they pay Molly's college tuition and I've never heard they threw that up to her or expected eternal gratitude.  They took in Claire's boys, when they didn't have anyone else to help them, and I haven't seen John or Peter groveling.

 

Melanie I'm sure I am not the first person to tell you this but in my opinion the problem in your relationship with Brian is you!"

 

Debbie was shocked to see Melanie start to cry.

 

"My life is so NOT what I want it to be or ever thought it would be.  I want there to be some villain that I can blame it all on.  I guess I want Brian to be that villain.  It just eats at my soul to be indebted to him.  Everything seems to work out for him.  Kinnetik is a huge success.  He and Justin adore each other, anyone can see that.  Gus idolizes him.

 

I work as hard as I can but I can't seem to get ahead.  No one seems to say "good job Mel" or "you're doing great".  I went to counseling for a while but she said I was wasting her time and mine.  She said I needed to be more realistic about my life before counseling could help me.  I can't let go of looking for the villain in my life.

 

I know I give in to JR because she seems like the only thing that belongs just to me and I don't want her to not love me the best."

 

Debbie shook her head.

 

"As far as I can tell your main problem is that you are a self-centered, selfish bitch.  JR belongs just to you?  What about Lindsay, Michael or me.  Shit how about Brian & Justin who pay her school tuition, who made sure she got as much for Christmas as Gus.

 

You need to get yourself together before you find yourself all alone.  When I was raising Michael I truly had no one to turn to, except Vic and he had his own life.  You are surrounded by people who have helped you in the past and are ready to help you now but instead of being grateful you resent them.

 

Melanie that is seriously fucked up!"

 

Melanie didn't say a word but got up and hurried away.  Debbie sat there for a few minutes before heading to her hotel room

 

*************************************************************************************Meanwhile Brian, Justin, Gus & Kevin saw the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, visited Tom Sawyer Island, did some shopping and sat through the Country Bear Jamboree.  There was a train stop in Frontierland which Gus was quick to spot.

 

Brian got a break while Justin took the train ride with Gus & Kevin.  When they returned they finished off their day with a ride on Splash Mountain.  Gus & Kevin were tired out by their day and happy to return to the villa for a rest.

 

That night everyone agreed that dinner at the Villa worked best.  Debbie & Jennifer joined them.

 

Jennifer & Debbie had the earliest flight the next morning, Joe was glad he could sleep a little later.  Mel, Lindsay & JR were on the same flight as Brian & Justin.  They met up in the boarding area but there was very little interaction between them.  Ted, Blake & Nina were spending the day at Sea World and returning to Pittsburgh the next day.

 

Mel & Lindsay had left their van at the Pittsburgh airport so Gus went home with them.  Justin was shocked when they offered to drop Joe at Debbie's but quickly agreed.

 

The rest of them got into the van the car service had sent to take them home.  When they got to the house they discovered Bill & Mary along with Greg & Roxanne waiting to take their children home.

 

John & Peter went to their rooms to unpack and Brian & Justin headed upstairs to the Master Suite.  Brian shut & locked the door before turning to Justin.

 

"Alone at last!  Why are you still wearing clothes?"

 

Justin laughed as Brian made his way across the room, dropping his clothes as he did.  Justin quickly stripped and got into bed.

 

It was almost an hour later when they found the strength to finally get out of bed and take a shower.  When they got downstairs John & Peter were having an early dinner in the kitchen.  Justin & Brian quickly assembled a salad and joined the nephews at the kitchen table.

 

Justin and the boys discussed all the fun they had on the trip while Brian smirked and occasionally threw in a comment.  Peter talked about having Joe & Josh come for an overnight some time.  Brian was quick to say he thought they should wait a little while before that happened.  Peter laughed and said he was thinking about maybe when school was out and the pool was open.

 

Brian shrugged.

 

"I was thinking about next year but I suppose when school is out could work too."

 

Justin just shook his head while John & Peter laughed.  After dessert the boys said they were going to their rooms to catch up with friends.  Justin said he was going to his studio and Brian went to the study to catch up on his Kinnetik emails.

 

A couple hours later Brian went to the studio.  He & Justin relaxed on the daybed while they shared a joint.  They chatted about getting ready for the babies and how well the Disney trip had gone.  Brian admitted to enjoying seeing how excited Gus & Kevin were about everything they did.

 

It was still early when they walked over to their bedroom.  They talked for a little while longer before they both were asleep.

 

The end for now.  Next come the twins & some other stuff.  Sorry I made you wait so long for this chapter!!