Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin wasted no time the next morning and headed off to the diner to see Debbie. When Brian informed him that Debbie was still working there, he was a little surprised, although he shouldn't have been. He knew his second mother well enough to know that she was not someone who sat idly at home, waiting. She needed to be kept busy, especially during times of crisis.

When Justin entered the Liberty Diner, the place was a flurry of activity. It was filled with assorted fags, queens, dykes and trannies busy chatting and eating breakfast. There were even customers waiting at the counter for takeout orders.

Debbie emerged from the kitchen with two loaded plates. One had an omelet on it, and the other a stack of golden brown pancakes. As soon as she spotted Justin, her eyes lit up.

"Sunshine!" she exclaimed with delight, the skin around her eyes crinkling at the sides. "Get your skinny butt over here!"

The blond forced a big smile, trying to hide his anxiety mounting beneath the surface.

After Debbie put both dishes down, she embraced him in a heartfelt, mama bear hug.

"How are you, baby?" she said as she grabbed him by the chin and began to look him over.

Debbie was thrilled to see her old boarder and surrogate son. It had been way too long and she missed him.

"I'm fine, Deb. I'm sorry I haven't been around. I'm working on another exhibition."

"Well, don't get too big for your britches to come around and see your old friends, mister."

"You know I'll always make time for you. Speaking of...ummm...Deb, can I talk to you?"

Justin had a strange, almost distraught look on his face. His hands fidgeted in his pockets.

"Sure, sweetheart. Follow me."

She wondered what was up as she led him to the stock room in the back of the kitchen. Last she had heard from Jennifer things were going well for Justin, both professionally and personally.

"What's wrong, honey? Is Brian treating you okay?"

"Oh no, we're great. It's you that I'm worried about. Deb, you know I'm always here for you, right? I'd do anything for you."

Why was Justin looking at her with tears suddenly springing up in those baby blue eyes?

He reached out and touched her shoulder, rubbing it.

Wait a minute.  Shit!  Does he know?

Debbie pursed her lips.

"You know about the cancer."

It had been more of a statement than a question, because judging by his entire demeanor, she could tell. Justin always wore his heart on his sleeve, especially years back when he was a naïve teenager in love with Brian.

Justin was confused. Was he not supposed to know?

He recognized that all too famiiar look overtaking Debbie's normally cherubic features. She was getting pissed.

"Who told..." she stopped mid sentence, because it only took her an instant to come to the realization of who could possibly have divulged her secret.

"Michael. That little asshole." she said aloud, shaking her head.

Nervously running his fingers through his blond locks, Justin confessed, "Uh, actually it was Brian who told me."

"It figures." Debbie responded, obviously exasperated. "My son never could keep his big mouth shut. Especially when it comes to the almighty God Kinney."

"I'm sorry, Deb." Justin apologized.

"It's not your fault. We still don't know everything and I wanted to keep this private, to myself for just a little while. Was that too fucking much to ask?"

Justin merely stood there, silent and looking guilty.

"Evidently it was," she said in answer to her own question, throwing her hands up in the air as she said it.

"Deb. I definitely want to respect your wishes. So, when you're ready, I just want you to know that Brian and I will both be here for you."

Debbie started to calm down. She could feel the tension she felt a moment ago ebbing. She leaned close, caressed his face and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Thank you, Justin."

They walked out to the dining area together where they were greeted with, "OMG, Ted, do you see who I see? Could it be the prodigal son, back to grace us with his presence? The Pitt's rising new star? The reknowned artist, Justin Taylor, formerly known as Sunshine?"

Before Justin departed her side, Debbie held him back a second by grabbing him by the wrist.

"Remember, if you don't want me to blast you a new asshole, keep it zipped," she threatened sternly.

Justin nodded and then smirked, before he walked toward where Emmett and Ted were sitting. Debbie was still the Debbie he remembered and loved. If cancer was to be her next battle, she would be more than up to the task. Justin readily joined his old friends for a bite to eat, being mindful of what Debbie had said.

Michael was thankfully, at home, where his stomach was currently doing flip flops. He had run to the bathroom twice already. What the fuck was he thinking when he told Brian about his mother's shattering cancer diagnosis?

He wasn't thinking, that was it. As usual, he had let his emotions get the best of him. Michael blamed his impulsive, sometimes over the top reactions due to heredity. After all, his father being a huge drag queen and entertainer, it was to be expected.  Although, right now, he was wishing he didn't take after him quite so much.

As soon as Michael told Ben what he had done, his husband let out a chortle of disbelief.

"Michael, I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. I fucked up, big time."

Ben frowned, his features solemn. However, he then placed his hands on his partner's shoulders and gave them a squeeze.

"Have you spoken to Debbie?"

"No. I've been trying to get up enough courage to call her."

"Aha."

"That's it. That's all you have as words of encouragement?"

"Michael, I've known Debbie for years now. She's going to be upset. I think it's going to take her a while to get past it. I warned you to keep this a secret."

"Now it sounds like you're upset with me, too," Michael said with sad, remorseful, puppy dog eyes.

"Upset no. Disappointed, yes. I know how it feels when you've been told you have something life threatening. I needed time to process that I was HIV positive and how it would impact my life. I'm sure Debbie feels the same."

"You're right. I don't know if I could ever make it up to her."

Ben loved Michael with all his heart, but he also knew and accepted his flaws.

Not wanting Michael to berate himself any more than he had, the older man said softly, "I'm sure you'll find a way."

Ben kissed Michael's forehead and headed to the bathroom to freshen up. Soon he'd start cooking dinner since it looked like Michael was too preoccupied with facing the consequences of his latest action.

Alone with his thoughts, Michael took a deep breath, summoned up his nerve and picked up the phone's receiver. Time to face the music.

"Hello."

"Hi Ma," he said apprehensively, not knowing what to expect.

Before he could get out another word, he heard a loud clunk on the other end that reverberated in his ear.  Debbie had hung up on him.

"Fuck!"