Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well folks it's definitely nearing the end now and I can feel it. I've never had such a hard time writing anything as I have trying to bring this story to a satisfactory end. I know there will be a sequel, but it just feels like I'm saying goodbye to a very dear friend...sigh. I hope you like the way I've decided to handle it.
Hugs!

banner

Brian stared after Jake for a moment, not quite understanding what was going on, but decided he was going to find out. He walked past Justin, giving him a quick kiss, whispering, “I’ll be back in a few.”

Justin smiled, nodded and went back to discussing his business with Ted.

Brian made his way through the kitchen and out the door. He immediately spotted Jake standing by the fence, looking up into the night sky. After a moment’s hesitation, he made his way over to the other man. “It’s nice out here, isn’t it?”

Jake shrugged, not bothering to turn around. “I’m not much for family dinners.”

Brian bit his lip and kept reminding himself that he was going to get along with this man if it killed him, which at this point, he was thinking it just might. For some reason this guy meant a lot to Justin, so he was going to find some way of patching up their differences, or at least make a truce. “I know what you mean. I cringe every time I think about coming to one of these things, but then I get here and I have a good time despite myself.”

Jake finally turned and looked Brian in the eye. “I know you don’t like me, Brian. I don’t blame you either, because I’ve never given you the opportunity. I’m just not a social person, and I’m too old now to start changing.”

“Fine. Let’s cut through all the bullshit, shall we? You’re important to Justin. Justin is important to me, so you and I need to find a way to at least be civil to one another for his sake.”

Jake grinned and nodded. “You are one direct fucker.”

Brian shrugged. “I find that it’s easier to just state what you mean rather than beat around the bush. I want to make Justin happy, so I’ll do whatever’s necessary.”

Jake studied Brian for a moment. “I know that.”

Brian noticed the same sadness in Jake’s eyes that he’d seen earlier. “I know you love him, and I understand why, but he’s mine.”

Jake blinked and threw his head back, laughing loudly. “For a smart guy, you sure are dense there, Kinney.”

Brian stiffened and narrowed his eyes. He’d promised to try and he’d tried, but no way was he going to take any shit off this guy. “I guess I’m wasting my time trying to talk to you.” He paused for just a second then in his most condescending voice added, “Sir.”

Jake shook his head and smirked, “You don’t know shit.” He took his cue from Brian and added a sarcastic, “Boy.”

“Fuck this.” Brian turned and started toward the door when he felt a hand grip his shoulder and pull him around. He’d never wanted to hit anyone so badly in his life with the exception of his father, but he restrained himself and growled, “What the hell do you want?”

Jake removed the hand that had been gripping Brian’s shoulder and held it up, palm facing forward. “Listen. I didn’t mean to start an argument with you. I want you to know that I’m no threat to you or your relationship with Justin.”

Brian studied Jake’s face carefully for a bit and nodded curtly. “Fine. Let’s go back inside before Deb sends out the hunting party.”

Jake followed Brian back into the house, taking a deep breath before entering. He could get through this night. He immediately spotted Miguel sitting on the arm of the sofa and felt that familiar wave of calm that always seemed to wash over him every time he saw his boy. It only took a second for Miguel to turn around and look at him. One glance at the pure adoration shining in his boy’s eyes was all it took for him to know he’d suffer a million dinners gladly. He smiled a little to show Miguel that everything was okay and got an even brighter smile in return. Jake looked across the room and saw Justin talking to a big muscular fellow. He smiled and shook his head. No offense to Justin, but how could anyone think he’d prefer Justin to Miguel?

Brian walked over to Justin and Ben and noticed that Michael was sitting there with his arms crossed over his chest, glowering silently. “Hey, Mikey.”

“Oh, so you finally decided to speak to me.” Michael met Brian’s eyes briefly before turning away again.

Debbie called from the kitchen, “Okay boys, get around the table and let’s eat.”

Everyone walked into the kitchen and Brian laughed. “What did you do here, Deb?”

Debbie grinned at Brian, looked at Christian and gave the man a pinch on the cheek. “This cutey pie here helped me set up my sewing table and we pushed the two tables together to have enough room for all you boys.”

Brian tried not to laugh at the look of pained embarrassment that crossed Chris’ face. “Looks like Chris has taken your place in Deb’s heart, Justin.”

Debbie smacked Brian on the shoulder and pinched Justin’s cheek saying, “No one can take this darling’s place in my heart.”

As soon as Debbie moved on, Justin glared at Brian. “Thanks a lot, cookie. I could have escaped the cheek-pinch if you’d kept your mouth shut.”

Brian grinned and shrugged. “Well, I always get smacked, so you have to suffer the cheek-pinch.”

They all piled around the table and it seemed that everyone was trying to talk at once. Brian took a deep breath and smiled at Justin. Maybe this wasn’t going to be the utter disaster he’d thought it would be. Then he saw the expression on Michael’s face and grimaced…or maybe it would be after all.

Emmett was busy passing dishes around the table and said, “Alex, I saw your show and I was amazed. You’re really talented.”

Alex ducked his head as his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. “Thanks, Emmett. I appreciate your saying so. You guys all know that Miguel and Justin are artists too, right?”

Miguel shook his head. “Don’t you dare put me in the same category as you and Justin. I just doodle compared to you guys.”

Justin looked around. “You’re a terrific artist, Miguel. Don’t sell yourself short all the time.”

Jake put his arm around Miguel’s shoulders. “He’s right. You’re amazing.”

Christian leaned over and whispered very softly in Alex’s ear, “Way to take the heat off your cute little ass, halfling.”

Alex winked at Chris. “Whatever works.” He turned and asked, “Hey, Justin, what were those pictures you were working on earlier?”

Justin had to chew and swallow quickly. “Well, I’ve been thinking of trying my hand at something different, so I’ve been working on some preliminary sketches for a comic book.”

Miguel sat forward in his seat with an excited expression on his face. “I’ve always wanted to try to draw comic art myself, but I just never felt it was the right time. I’d be happy to help out if you need anything.”

“Well, I won’t turn down any offer of help, but what I really need is someone to write the story.” Justin shrugged his shoulders and continued eating.

“I could help, too. I’d love to help with some of the marketing research. Maybe the big guy and I could work on an advertising campaign for the comic.” Alex grinned at Brian.
Brian nodded. “Sure, I can turn you loose in my art department for a couple of days to see what you can come up with.”

Everyone continued eating, discussing things from modern art to Emmett’s new clients and the weird food they wanted served at their party. It would have been a perfect evening for Brian if Michael would have tried to be social instead of sitting there glaring at everyone.

As soon as the meal was over, Miguel asked Debbie if she needed any help cleaning up, but she said, “No, you boys go on out into the living room and chat. We’ll serve dessert in a minute.”

Everyone stood and moved into the next room, finding seats wherever they could. Miguel, Alex and Brian ended up on the floor at their Masters’ feet, but no one seemed to mind in the least…no one except Michael.

“Brian, there is plenty of room here next to me. You don’t have to sit on the floor.”

“I’m fine, Mikey, but thanks for offering.”

Justin absent-mindedly ran his fingers through Brian’s hair as he talked to Jake and Chris. He looked over at Michael and asked, “Michael, is it true what Brian tells me about you…are you extremely knowledgeable about comic books?”

Ben put his arm around Michael’s shoulders and nodded. “Yes he is. He gave a lecture to my class, and he was amazing.”

Michael actually blushed and smiled up into Ben’s face before turning toward Justin. “I know a lot about comics, why?”

“Well, I was wondering if you’d consider writing the story for the comic.”

Michael’s mouth fell open and he stared at Justin. He couldn’t believe he was being asked to do what he’d always wanted to do…write a comic. “I’d have to think about it.”
Justin stood and walked over to where his coat was hanging and pulled some papers from the inside pocket. He brought them over and handed them to Michael. “I brought some of my sketches for you to look at. If you don’t think they’re good enough, let me know.”

Michael took the pages and stared down at a very muscular, very comic-art version of himself. He flipped through the pages to see himself and Brian looking very much like comic book heroes. “These are terrific. I think you’re better than Todd McFarlane.”

Brian smiled brightly at Justin. He knew exactly what his Master was doing and Justin was doing it all for him. “Wow. That’s really high praise coming from Mikey. He knows all about the top comic artists.”

Michael seemed to bask in Brian’s praise before turning back to Justin. “So, what did you have in mind for a story line?”

Justin shrugged. “To be honest, Michael, I have no idea about that sort of thing. I just wanted to try something new with my art.”

“Well, we could always use issues from the news and then write them up in the comic. Let the hero save the day.”

Justin smiled. “I like that idea.”

Michael grinned. “I see you used Brian as your model for the super hero, but why didn’t you use yourself as his sidekick?”

Justin put his hand on Michael’s shoulder. “I’m not his sidekick, I’m his lover. His sidekick needed to be his best friend. Isn’t that how it always works in comics?”

Michael looked up into Justin’s eyes and something finally clicked in his mind. Brian and Justin were together. He could either accept it or he’d lose all contact with his best friend. He nodded. “Yes, the sidekick is always the best friend, but that still doesn’t explain why you didn’t draw a character for yourself.”

Justin shrugged. “I figure I’d leave saving the world up to you and Brian.”

Michael slid forward on his chair. “Yes, but the hero always needs a damsel in distress to save. That’s how it works.”

Justin laughed. “So I’m supposed to play the part of the helpless maiden.”

Michael blushed a bit and looked over at Brian. He’d been watching all evening and he’d never seen his best friend looking so happy. These guys who'd come to dinner were all important to Brian and would stand up for him any time. That had always been Michael's role, but it was time for a new start. “Well, if the dress fits…”

Alex barked out a loud laugh and was soon joined by everyone present. “He got you, Justin.”

Brian leaned over and punched Alex lightly on the leg. “Watch it squirt. That’s my Master you’re talking about.”

Everything became almost eerily quiet after Brian’s statement. He closed his eyes as soon as he realized what he’d said. It had been such a good evening and he’d ruined it with one unthinking comment.

“Yeah, glass boy. That’s Brian’s Master you are running your mouth off about there.”

Brian’s head whipped around and he knew his mouth was hanging open in shock as his eyes met Michael’s.

Michael gave Brian a wink and asked, “What are sidekicks for?”