Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Prologue

 

Brian stepped into the elevator and let his trick walk in before lowering the gate. For once the trick wasn’t all over Brian. Usually they wanted to start before they got into the loft. But Brian had gotten a restrained vibe from this one at Woody’s. They waited in silence as the elevator slowly went up. On the top floor Brian pulled the gate up and stepped out. But then he stopped with his hand still touching the gate. There was man sitting on the top stair. A familiar man he hadn’t seen in years. He had changed a lot from the photo they had taken on their wedding day. His hair wasn’t blond anymore but a warm, light brown. He didn’t look so much of a teenager but a real man. He had gorgeous cheekbones and lips that begged to be kissed. His eyes were still as blue as the sky. You could see it from afar.

 

Justin looked up, hair falling to his blue eyes and recognition shined from them. He looked from Brian to the trick and back before standing up. “Hi,” he said still eyeing the unfamiliar man.

 

“Hi,” Brian answered stunned to see his husband.

 

“Hi,” the trick smiled and both Brian and Justin looked at him not finding it amusing at all. But the trick didn’t seem to notice. “Who’s he?”

 

The question was directed to Brian but the brunet didn’t answer. So Justin saw that it was polite if he answered. “I’m Justin Kinney. Brian’s husband,” he had never said those words out loud and it felt weird. He had, after all, been married to the man for years but he didn’t really know anything about him.

 

The man’s eyes grew huge and they moved to watch Brian. “He’s your husband? You’re married?” the great Brian Kinney, the stud of Liberty Avenue, the one who was meant to run free for all eternity, was married.

 

“Um, yeah. He’s my husband,” Brian finally said quickly scratching the back of his neck, feeling kind of awkward.

 

“I should probably go,” the man radiated uncomfortable feelings.

 

Brian looked at him and nodded, giving him an apologetic smile. “Raincheck?”

 

“I don’t know,” was all the man said before walking past Justin and down the stairs.

 

Brian stared at Justin for a good five seconds before digging his keys from his pocket and opening the loft door. “You coming in?”

 

Justin followed him into the loft. He looked around the spacious and posh apartment he had never been in before. He liked it. He liked the huge windows that made the living room bathe in the sunlight. The high ceiling. He especially liked the kitchen island because he had always wanted one.

 

“So, what brings you to my doorstep?” Brian closed the door and walked past Justin.

 

“Can’t a man visit his husband, no questions asked?” Justin turned to Brian who was taking off his jacket and placing it on one of the barstools.

 

“Not in our case,” Brian looked up at him and shook his head.

 

“I have my summer holiday and decided to do something I’ve never done before,” Justin shrugged and looked back.

 

Brian nodded and ran his hand back and forth of the back of a barstool. Then he sighed, taking a deep breath. “Well, let’s sit down and you can tell me all there is to tell,” he motioned towards the white leather sofa in the living room.

 

Justin walked to it and sat down while Brian went to his liquor and poured himself a shot of Bourbon. He poured some for Justin too and the man accepted the glass as Brian walked past him, sitting down on the other end of the sofa.

 

“How’s Washington?” Brian asked and took a sip.

 

“I live in Denver nowadays,” Justin answered.

 

Brian nodded. “Job?”

 

“Yeah, that’s one of the reasons,” Justin nodded.

 

“How is the art world? You conquered it yet?” the older man raised his right leg on the sofa and bend it from the knee while leaning his side against the back of the sofa.

 

Justin looked at his glass and rolled it in the air. “Not quite,” he shook his head.

 

“No? Why not? What I can remember you were really good,” Brian pointed out. He would have thought that Justin had had his break through a long time ago by now. He remembered a younger Justin so full of life and big dreams. He wanted the life of a successful artist so bad he breathed and lived it. He remembered how the blue eyes shined when he talked about Monet or Warhol or Michelangelo. Surely there had to be some success in his life.

 

Justin sighed and looked up smiling. “That’s a story for another time.”

 

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth getting the message loud and clear. Do not ask.

 

“I see you still live in Pittsburgh,” Justin commented drinking half of his shot.

 

“Yeah, haven’t even moved. I lived here when we last saw each other,” Brian looked around his home.

 

“I can see why. This is a pretty amazing apartment,” Justin smiled a little.

 

“So, mind telling me what you are doing here?” Brian asked curious of why his husband, who he hasn’t seen or heard about after their wedding, was suddenly sitting on his white leather sofa.

 

“Brian,” he said and drank the rest of his drink before looking up, straight into the man’s eyes. “I want a divorce.”

 

 

Chapter 1

 

Brian stared at Justin. A divorce? That was a big surprise. He raised his glass of Bourbon to his lips and poured all of it’s content into his mouth before swallowing. “You want a divorce?” he asked.

 

Justin nodded. “Yeah, I do.”

 

“Why?” Brian asked. “You want to go back to Canada?”

 

“I, um, I’m getting married,” Justin said and placed his empty glass on the coffee table.

 

Brian got up and went to pour himself another shot. “You’re getting married,” he echoed as he came back and sat down again.

 

“Yeah,” Justin nodded and took a deep breath.

 

“To whom?” Brian drank half of his drink.

 

“His name is Alex,” Justin said. “He’s a bartender.”

 

Brian twisted his mouth and nodded. “A bartender?” he repeated.

 

Justin nodded again and waited for Brian to say something. But Brian didn’t say anything.

 

“We can’t even get engaged because I’m married to you. It’s not like our marriage is a big deal so look at it like you’ve fulfilled your promise and now we’re done and we can move on,” Justin explained.

 

Brian kept nodding and played with the liquor in his glass while staring at the man on his white leather sofa. “Is he good to you?” Brian asked suddenly.

 

“Of course!” Justin answered.

 

Brian didn’t like the tone in which Justin spoke. It was defensive and Brian sensed the hurt vibe. Brian twisted his mouth again, fighting not to say anything bad. “You love him?”

 

“…Yes,” Justin said but all Brian noticed was the hesitation before he answered.

 

“So shall I get the papers so that we can get this over with?” Justin asked.

 

Brian licked his lips and pushed his tongue against his cheek. “Nope,” he shook his head.

 

“You can’t be serious! Why not?” Justin asked and sat up straight, looking angry.

 

“I want to meet him first,” Brian sipped his drink.

 

Justin’s posture relaxed a little and he glanced around the room. “You want to meet him?” he looked back at Brian. “What’s that got to do with anything?” he was confused.

 

“I want to see if he’s worth you,” Brian smiled suddenly.

 

Justin looked at his husband and interpreted that smile as kidding. “He’s what now?” Justin smiled himself too. “You don’t know him. Christ, you don’t even know me. How do you know what’s good for me?”

 

“Don’t underestimate me. This man is dating my husband. I want to meet him before I make any kind of decisions. If you’ve forgotten, I’m in advertising and I know how to read people. I’ll know if he’s good for you,” Brian shrugged.

 

Justin’s shoulders dropped and he leaned back against the sofa. “You’re serious, aren’t you?”

 

“Like a heart attack,” Brian raised his glass at Justin before taking a sip.

 

This time Justin pushed his tongue in his cheek and stared at Brian. “So you want to meet him?”

 

“I do,” Brian nodded smiling.

 

“And after that, you’ll sign the papers?” Justin asked.

 

“We’ll see about that,” Brian drank the rest of his drink.

 

“You’ll sign the papers,” Justin said more strongly and confident.

 

“As I said. We’ll see,” Brian placed his empty glass on the coffee table as well.

 

Justin stared at Brian again. “Fine. I’ll tell him to fly here and we’ll have a dinner, all three of us.”

 

“Sounds excellent,” Brian agreed. That would give him time to interrogate this man who wanted to marry his husband. And finally get to know his husband as well.

 

*

 

Justin sighed as he got out of his car. He had actually driven all the way from Washington to Pittsburgh. He had wanted to take time for himself before the wedding and real married life. Coming to see Brian gave him the perfect opportunity to do that. The man had enjoyed his time alone in the car. He had blasted the music as loud as he wanted and sang along without any complaints from his boyfriend. He stop by to do some sightseeing and slept as much as he wanted to. Sometimes even in the back of his car.

 

Justin had just left Brian’s home and had called Alex to tell him the news. They decided that instead staying the week they had planned, they would stay a couple of days longer since Alex had to fly in. His work schedule didn’t allow taking a couple of days off until next week. So Justin took his suitcase and walked inside the hotel he had booked a room from. He explained his situation and asked for a bigger room and extended his stay with two nights.

 

When he got into his hotel room, he left his suitcase by the door and went to the bed. It looked inviting with it’s white sheets, fluffy pillows and soft cover. He turned around and fell on it on his back, with his arms stretched to his sides. A huge feeling of satisfaction took over him. The bed felt as good as it looked and the covers felt so nice and cool. It was really warm outside so the cool sheets were very welcome.

 

Justin wondered what it would feel like. What it would feel like to be married to a person he cared about. Would there be any difference to their normal life? At least in the beginning? That remained to be seen. Next week Brian would sign the divorce papers and he would go back to glorious Denver, to his job at waiting tables, to thinking about getting a dog. Alex didn’t really want a dog but Justin was sure he could turn the man around and soon they would have a puppy. Maybe a golden retriever or a terrier of some kind.

 

On his way to Pittsburgh, Justin had also contacted a lawyer to draw up the divorce papers. They should be ready this week. He had to make sure he visited the lawyer soon. But for now, he would sleep. He had been driving for days and he deserved a good night’s sleep.

 

*

 

Brian sat on his sofa as Justin had just left. He had fetched a water bottle from the fridge and drank some before turning the cap back on it’s place. His husband had changed. A lot. Most noticeable change had been the hair. He had loved it blond but now, for some reason, it was light brown. Not really the best color for him. The brunet got up and went to his closet in the bedroom. He pulled out a small box of old pictured and quickly went through them before he found two pictures of him and his husband.

 

They were wedding photos. They had wanted to make things seem real if anyone ever asked anything. They were traditional photos. In one of them they were standing in their suits, Justin had his arms around Brian and he was pressed against his side. Brian had his right arm around the blond’s shoulders and they both looked into the camera.

 

In the other photo Brian kissed Justin on the cheek. Brian had done it suddenly, out of blue so that was the reason why Justin’s laugh and smile looked real. This time Brian had his arms around Justin’s waist and Justin his arms loosely around Brian’s shoulders. They actually looked like a couple in the picture.

 

Justin had definitely grown. The years had done good for the man. He was more of a man than a teenager. Plus, if he thought back then that Justin was hot, now he was out of this world hot. If Brian hadn’t recognized him, he would have probably jumped his bones before Justin got a word out.

 

In some way, Brian was looking forward to the dinner. He wanted to see what kind of man Justin had managed to find. Maybe he would even get to be a little snarky.