Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

March 4

Brian took one last look at himself in the mirror and then walked out of the closet and into the bedroom, surprised when he didn't find a familiar blond lump still curled up in their bed. Grabbing his jacket, he walked out the door and quickly made his way down the stairs; he strode into the living room, and looked around, but his husband was still nowhere to be found. Something he found odd as Justin was violently against mornings if he could help it. Especially since he'd gotten pregnant.

In fact, the only thing that had any hope of prying him from their bed until he was good and ready, was if he'd been struck by a sudden wave of inspiration, sending him running for his studio. But Brian knew that wasn't it, as he'd definitely noted that the studio door had been open as he came down the stairs.

Dropping his jacket on the back of the chair nearest the foyer, right next to his briefcase, Brian walked towards the kitchen; knowing that, if nothing else, if Justin couldn't be found in their bed or his studio, he was definitely raiding the fridge or cupboards. He hoped. Because, to be honest, if Justin wasn't in there eating, he would actually start to worry at that point. Justin being out of bed for art or food was expected; Justin willingly climbing out of bed on a morning off for no good reason, not so much.

"Good morning, Anna," Brian greeted as he walked through the door, smirking when he spied Justin sitting at the table, his back to him, with an impressive case of bed-head. He absently dropped a kiss on the top of Justin's head as he walked to the coffee machine. "Sunshine, you're up early. I thought you were supposed to have a nice, quiet sleep-in this morning. Or, at least, that's what you were bragging about last night."

"Yeah, well," Justin huffed, leaning heavily against the table, more asleep than he was awake at that point. "Your child had other ideas this morning. Apparently, Sunbeam has decided that my bladder is a trampoline again, and I had to race to the bathroom before I embarrassed myself. Fuck; I'll be so glad when this is over, so that my internal organs don't feel like they are just one big bruise."

"My child?" Brian chuckled as he poured himself a cup of coffee and added an obscene amount of sugar in it; he nodded to Anna as she set his typical breakfast of dry whole-grain toast and fruit on the table and then walked over and sat down. "Why is Sunbeam always my child at times like this?"

"Because obviously you are the evil one of our partnership," Justin grumbled, taking a huge bite of his breakfast; and then he smirked, a wicked glint in his eyes. "Whereas I am the angel. Everyone says so."

Brian snorted, rolling his eyes because they really did think that Justin was the nice one; if they only knew. He looked up and shot his husband an incredulous look, freezing, his coffee mug halfway to his mouth, as he finally noticed just what Justin had been eating for breakfast. Setting his mug down, he closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, fervently praying that he wasn't actually seeing what he thought he saw.

But when he opened his eyes again, the scene before him was exactly the same – Justin was sitting there, blissfully eating something that could only be classified as a dessert, not breakfast. The first layer in the glass looked like it was some sort of yogurt or pudding, which was then followed by a layer of Twinkies, cut into chunks. (And he really hoped that those were the pseudo-Twinkies that he'd bought or he and Justin would be having a very long 'discussion' about that.)

The layer of Twinkies was followed by a layer of bananas, and then that was topped with yet more pudding or yogurt; more Twinkie chunks were added on top, followed by more bananas, another layer of pudding or yogurt; and then, finally, it was all topped with a layer of whipped cream. Brian shuddered at the amount of sugar and fat loaded into one container; and then, once again, prayed for strength.

Not that his husband noticed; Justin was happily humming to himself and digging in as if he hadn't a care in the world. Brian cleared his throat and continued to stare at his husband until, finally, Justin managed to pry himself away from his 'breakfast' and looked up at him with a curious expression on his face.

"Please, tell me you aren't eating that shit for breakfast," Brian groused, staring at the concoction with thinly veiled disgust. Justin paused to look at him funny and then rolled his eyes and defiantly took another bite; just to demonstrate that he was a stubborn brat.

"I'm not eating shit for breakfast," Justin said dutifully, after he finished said bite. And then he smiled that, 'why, yes, I am a little shit' grin of his; the one that brought Brian this close to throttling his husband most days. It was only love that kept Justin alive on those days.

"That's not what I meant; and you well know it, brat," Brian said in an aggrieved tone, his lips compressing when Justin just shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, ask a stupid question…" Justin said, purposely trailing off as he arched a brow; and then he started explaining as if he were talking to a small child. And really, he was just asking to get spanked at this point. "I mean it is morning, and it is the first meal of the day; so, one could easily deduce that I am indeed eating this shit for breakfast."

"Fucking smart ass," Brian griped, scrubbing a hand over his face; he continued to stare at the trifle or parfait, or whatever-the-fuck Justin wanted to call it, his lip curled in distaste. "The real question is – why are you eating them for breakfast?"

"Because I want to?" Justin asked rhetorically, giving another nonchalant shrug of his shoulders. Brian frowned. "Plus, the last time I talked to Liz, she said that I should add more grains and legumes to my diet."

Brian paused and took a couple bites of his fruit and toast as he tried to figure out what that had to do with anything. He took a long drag of his coffee as Justin just stared at him and continued eating his treat.

Alright; he'd bite.

"Yes, I'm well aware of that fact," Brian said slowly, not quite getting where Justin was going with this; but he had to have thought this out beforehand, because as smart as the little twat is, he's not nearly coherent enough in the morning to make up an elaborate excuse on the fly. Which just meant that this was likely to try Brian's patience. "I was at that appointment with you as you recall; you know since you nearly gave me a heart attack b.y making me believe  we were having triplets for a moment."

Justin smirked, still far too pleased with himself over that prank; and likely feeling far too confident that he'd gotten away with it as Brian hadn't retaliated yet. But he would; all in good time.

"Well, that's what I'm doing," Justin continued primly, a virtuous smile on his face. Brian snorted, because like hell was he falling for that nonsense. He knew Justin far better than that. So, he narrowed his eyes, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. "I'm just following the doctor's orders."

Brian internally sighed and  fought back a twitch in his jaw; barely. There was no way he was going to give the little twat the satisfaction of seeing him react to that statement if he could help it. But he must not have quelled it fast enough as Justin just smiled smugly in return. Brian rolled his lips between his teeth and wondered where the brat was taking this.

"And how, pray tell, are you doing that?" Brian asked; he leaned back into his chair and studied the smirking brat in front of him, just knowing that he was likely going to regret asking, but was curious nonetheless.

"Well," Justin said, going into what Brian had fondly dubbed 'professor mode.' Something he'd often employed when he'd walked around as a teenager, spouting off random facts, and acting like Brian's own walking public service announcement. "Wheat is a grain is it not?"

"Yes," Brian drawled, suddenly getting the bad feeling that he knew exactly where the little twat was going with this; and he had to give him credit for trying to con his way out of it this way. Too bad he hadn't paid full attention to what Liz had told the both of them.

"That gets ground into flour, right?" Justin continued, his eyes twinkling with mischief; he took a large bite of the parfait and hummed in delight. Brian just shook his head at his husband's audacity.

"I know I'm going to regret saying this, but yes," Brian huffed; and yes, this is exactly where he thought the little brat was going. He picked at his fruit, eating as Justin dug himself in deeper, one eye on the clock so he remembered to leave on time.

"And flour is then used to make cake," Justin finished, looking quite proud of himself and his explanation. "Ergo, I'm eating more grains."

Brian snorted, and almost wanted to applaud at that load of bullshit; but he refrained because there was no need to encourage the brat.

Plus, he hadn't covered all his tracks; there was one glaring flaw in his argument – Liz had specifically said that he needed to incorporate more whole grains and legumes into his diet. Not just any kind of bread product that he wanted;, but whole grains. Although, he probably hadn't expected Brian to remember that fact as Brian had been far too busy trying to get his heart rate under control after the little twat's prank.

"Right," Brian nodded, a bemused smile on his face. He took a long sip of his cooling coffee and then took a bite of his toast, letting Justin prattle on as if he believed him.

"She never specified what form my grains or legumes had to come in," Justin said, all wide-eyed innocence as he continued to wolf down his 'breakfast.' Brian caught Anna's eye, who was standing behind Justin with a plate of fruit, whole-grain toast and a soft-boiled egg and a glass of milk, desperately trying not to laugh.

Brian turned back to his husband, and finished his toast in two bites; he dusted his hands off and then quickly ate the last two pieces of melon and drank the rest of his coffee, all while eyeing Justin with amusement. Wiping his mouth with a napkin, he stood, stacked his dishes and set them in the sink.

It was time to take a pin to his scheming, brat of a husband's balloon.

"Sure, Sunshine; makes perfect sense," Brian nodded, smirking when Justin first looked at him in total surprise as he'd obviously been expecting a different answer; and then he narrowed his eyes, as if he sensed that there was more to that statement coming, which there was. "I tell you what; let's call Liz right now and ask her if Twinkies are on the acceptable grains list; and if she says yes, I'll fully support this madness."

And that right there, that was calling his husband's bluff; which he knew.

Justin scowled and huffed, and then he grumbled under his breath about 'annoying husband's that just had to be controlling bastards and ruin all his fun.' Brian snickered, especially when Anna dropped the prepared plate of food and glass of milk in front of Justin without a word, making his scowl darken. He walked over, stood next to Justin, and waited until his husband looked up.

"I didn't think so," Brian smirked, dropping a kiss onto his forehead. Justin just huffed, a pout firmly etched on to his lips. "But nice try, Sunshine; now be a good boy and eat all your food so our Sunbeam grows up nice and tall instead of being a midget like you."

Justin squawked and lashed out, but his hand met nothing but air as Brian laughed and dodged quickly out the door. He will say one thing about living with Justin – there was never a dull moment when he was around.