Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

So, my beta pointed out that by putting the dates on the drabbles, it might be confusing for some as they would think that date on top matched up to the date of the events. I have since deleted them and will be editing those to reflect the appropriate timestamp of the universe, rather than what day I am on.


 

January 4 (Part Three)

Justin happily made his way down the hall, practically skipping as he sucked on the very delicious frozen fruit bar that the lovely nurse at the desk had given him. He’d originally gone to the bathroom and then stopped by the nurses’ station to see if there was any news on Blake, when Sherri, being pregnant herself, asked when he was due. It lead to a full-on conversation about their various cravings and he’d admitted to have been craving strawberries, but hadn’t gotten any as they were out of season and didn’t taste right.

She had grinned, remembering her own strawberry craving about a mouth before and shared her secret with him – Whole Fruit frozen fruit bars in strawberry. It was perfect, with chunks of real strawberries and had the perfect sweetness to tartness ratio that Justin had been looking for.

He so had to go out and buy a couple of boxes to stash at home; and given they were only seventy calories each, Brian couldn’t complain. Too much.

Rounding the corner, Justin was about to enter the waiting room, when a conversation between Brian and Em stopped him short.

“Where’s Baby?” Em asked, fiddling with a bag by his feet. “I have a present for him, but we got interrupted before I could give it to him earlier.”

Justin smiled; that was sweet of Em. And come to think of it; he did remember Em bringing a gift bag with him to the café.

“He said something about going to the bathroom,” Brian muttered, scrolling through his phone with a frown.

“And you’re not hovering over him?” Em asked, an arch smile on his face.

“What do you expect me to do? Hold it for him?” Brian drawled sarcastically, obviously still put out that Justin had told him not to follow him unless he wanted to sleep in the den that night. “He’s a big boy; he can do it himself.”

“Hasn’t stopped you before,” Em snorted, and then paused before casting a knowing glance Brian’s way. “Unless…”

Em trailed off and looked thoughtful.

“Unless what, Honeycutt?” Brian bit out impatiently.

“Don’t call me Honeycutt!” Em said with no little exasperation; he huffed and then teased with a sly smile. “My guess is that you tried to follow him and he quickly put his foot down and told you in no uncertain terms to back the fuck off.”

Brian just scowled and didn’t deem that worth a response.

“I thought so,” Em said, a smug smile curling on his lips; which only made Brian’s face darken with irritation.

“Shut up, Honeycutt,” Brian muttered, huffing when Em just chuckled.

Em didn’t respond. Instead, he picked up a magazine and started flipping through it, a smirk on his face. He had just settled on an article, and Justin was just about to join them, when Em's words caught up with Brian.

“Wait, you said you had a present for Justin?” his husband said, casting a sharp, suspicious glance at Em.

“Yup, I found the most adorable outfits when I went shopping the other day and I just had to pick them up for my Baby,” Em gushed, prattling on about the new store on Liberty Avenue that sold the most ingenious things for a few minutes before he'd noticed Brian’s stare and quieted.

“Let me see them,” Brian demanded implacably, holding his hand out for the bag. And Justin could tell by both of their expressions that this would not end well.

“I’d rather wait until Justin is here,” Em said a bit stiffly, holding said bag to his chest in a protective manner; which was a bad move if he was trying to assuage Brian’s suspicions.

“Which means you know I’ll disapprove,” Brian said, arching an imperious brow. “Hand them over, Honeycutt.”

Em just stared at the outstretched hand, a disgruntled moue on his face, before he sighed explosively and handed the bag over with ill grace.

“Fine,” Em huffed, crossing his arms over his chest as Brian snatched the bag out of his hand. “But you better not do anything to them, or so help me God, Kinney, I will tell Justin about the Twinkie thing.”

Justin barely bit back a chortle as Brian gave Em a dirty look, and made a mental note to ask about the Twinkie thing. Because if Brian thought he was actually going to prevent him from eating his favorite treat, he had another serious think coming to him. He will find a way.

After leveling Em with the full weight of a patented Kinney Glare of Doom, Brian turned back to the bag and started pulling the outfits out one by one, for four in total. Justin did snigger then as, while he thought they were kind of cute, Brian looked completely horrified by the rainbow spectacle.

The first was a one-piece, short-sleeved, bodysuit that said, After every storm there is a rainbow of hope. Here I am! The second was an entire outfit with bodysuit that said, Love Made Me and came with white leggings that had rainbow stripes on them, with matching head wrap and a little hat.

The third was an outfit of a similar vein, but with an added hair ribbon, and the bodysuit said, Rainbow Baby. And Justin thought for sure that Brian was going to have an aneurism when he pulled that one out. He could just see the cogs in his head whirring as he wondered how he could dispose of it with Em being none the wiser.

And the final one was a blue sleeper that had rainbows and raining clouds all over it.  Again, Justin thought it was cute, but could see by Brian’s aghast look; Justin needed to get his ass in there to defuse the situation before Brian strangled Em with a pair of the leggings.

“Oh, Em, these are so cute,” Justin cooed, cementing Brian’s sour expression, as he knew damned well, there was no way in hell he could get rid of them now.

Huffing, Brian stuffed the outfits none to gently into the bag and set it aside, while Em beamed in pleasure. And then he homed in on the ice cream in Justin’s hand, his exasperation visibly growing as Justin licked it and then popped it back into his mouth and took a small bite, humming in pleasure as the taste of strawberries exploded over his tongue.

“What the fuck are you eating now?” Brian demanded.

“A fruit bar?” Justin said, his voice lilting into a question at the end, as he thought it was pretty damned obvious what it he was eating.

“Where the hell did you get that?” Brian asked as he rolled his eyes. “I thought you were going to the bathroom?”

"I did,” Justin nodded and crossed the room to sit next to his husband. “And then I stopped by the nurses’ station to ask about Blake and Sherri gave it to me.”

“Who the hell is Sherri?” Brian groused, huffing when Justin offered him a bit of his very delicious treat, but he did take a small bite nonetheless. Really, he should be happy that Justin was sharing. He could have kept the strawberry goodness all to himself.

“The charge nurse,” Justin chirped, happily going back to his fruit bar and blatantly ignoring Brian’s incredulous look.

"It's the smile," Em chimed in, snickering when Brian just scowled. "All he did was smile at them, and they've been fawning over him ever since."

“I thought I told you to only use your twink powers against the forces of evil?” Brian said, his tongue firmly pressed in his cheek.

"I can't help that I'm adorable and pregnant at the same time” Justin preened, again, ignoring Brian’s snort. He really did need to buy more of these. “It makes everyone want to coddle me."