Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

January 4 (Part One)

Emmett stared in horrified awe as Justin took yet another big bite of his ‘breakfast’ and fought desperately not to lose his own.

“God, this is the best thing ever,” Justin said as he licked his fingers, sucking each into his mouth, one by one, and then releasing them with an audible pop.

“Isn’t it?” Blake said, equally as enthusiastic; although, he, at least, was being much neater about it, preferring to use a knife and fork to cut said breakfast into manageable pieces.

Emmett on the other hand just shuddered and remained silent; and then finally turned away, unable to watch them devour that utter travesty to the taste buds.  Really, how could they do that to one of his favorite foods? But, like his Great Aunt Lula said, ‘if you ain’t got nothing nice to say, boy; you best done hold your tongue, else you might just live to regret it. There be enough fools about spouting off their ignorance without you adding to it.’

It was a motto that he tried to live by; even when faced with such a blatant faux pas on his friends’ part.

Emmett smiled fondly at the thought of his auntie, his eyes misting over just a bit; he missed that daft, old woman. How she would have loved his friends had she lived long enough to meet them. He could just see her sitting there, chewing her tobacco and watching Justin and Blake with unholy glee. How she’d then spit it out in her spittoon, cackle with delight and spout off something wise all wrapped up in a sarcastic observation, not caring what the world thought of her.

She’d definitely been the black sheep of the family; much like him. He supposed that was why they got along so well – like recognized like.

But he digressed.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, Emmett turned back in time to see Justin finish his…delicacy of choice… in one huge gulp, his cheeks puffing out like an adorable, little chipmunk. Not that he’d ever say so, as Justin, the smallest of their group, was a bit sensitive about his height.

Why, he didn’t know; if he’d had Justin’s angelic looks, height and cute, little bubble butt, he’d totally work it to his advantage. Although, come to think of it, Justin did seem to get away with more than his fair share.  So, maybe he did take advantage of all that bounty. The boy was a genius after all.

“I’d never get away with eating this with Brian,” Justin heartily agreed, breaking through Emmett’s thoughts once more as he reached for another, smearing his and Blake’s chosen condiments on with a heavy hand. He rolled his eyes as he continued. “He gets nauseous at the oddest things.”

Emmett just stared, not quite certain how to take that. After all, it was true that Brian tended to be a bit, well, fussy, when it came to what he put in his body; but, really, he had to agree with him on this. If there was anyone in their group that knew, and embraced, over the top, it was him; and if even he was having issues with the menu, well he wouldn’t be surprised if la God Kinney went running the other way.

And then, just because he could, he snapped a picture of Justin’s ‘breakfast,’ and sent it to Brian. Because like hell was he going to suffer alone.

“You don’t think that donuts topped with cheddar popcorn and mustard isn’t a bit odd?” Emmett said, casting a dubious glance at said donuts. “I mean, I’m usually not one to judge, honey; but I sort of see his point on this one.”

Justin studied Emmett for several long moments, his expression slightly incredulous as if Emmett was talking complete and utter nonsense. To which Emmett just raised his brows, because he was so not the crazy one in this group. And then Justin looked down at his plate and laughed, shrugging ruefully in concession.

“Well, okay, yeah,” Justin agreed, still sniggering at Emmett’s doubtful expression. “I see your point on this. But that’s not what I was talking about.”

“Oh, so what has him in up in arms this time,” Blake asked, pushing his plate away, obviously done massacring his poor donuts.

“It’s still the Twinkie thing,” Justin rolled his eyes, and Emmett had to laugh because he’d heard about the ongoing struggle between Brian and Justin over his latest food obsession. “The other day, I wanted Twinkies for breakfast and he nearly threw fit; he went on and on about how Twinkies were a snack not a breakfast food. I mean, it wasn’t like I was having the Twinkies by themselves.”

“Do I even want to know what else you were planning to eat with them?” Emmett asked hesitantly, and then decided that was an unwise move on his part judging by Justin’s shifty expression. Luckily, Justin didn’t elaborate.

“Probably not,” Justin said with a wry grin.

“I am never going to eat like this if Drew and I decide to have a baby,” Emmett vowed; shuddering as Justin kept right on eating without pause.

“That’s what we all say,” Justin snickered, pointing at Emmett with his doctored, pink-frosted, rainbow sprinkle donut. “And then, the next thing you know, you’re dipping your apple slices in teriyaki sauce and it’s the best thing ever.”

“Seriously,” Blake nodded, sipping on his orange juice. “Although, for me, it was pickles and caramel sauce.”

“You are joking, right,” Emmett said, his stomach turning at the mere thought.

“Nope,” Justin chirped; and really, he was far too damn cheerful about ruining all of Emmett’s dreams. “Get used to it; because the sprog will turn your culinary palate upside down. And suddenly you hate things you once loved and you love things you swore you’d never eat. It’s a bitch.”

Emmett shot his friend a dirty look and pushed his favorite banana, caramel and pecan stuffed French toast away, having suddenly lost his appetite. Justin eyed it hungrily and then looked up at Emmett.

“You going to eat that?” he asked, even as he dragged the plate towards him.

Emmett threw up his hands in mock surrender and watched in fascination as Justin attacked it as if he hadn’t just eaten three donuts and a bowl of fruit. Emmett shook his head, wondering where the hell he put it. His appetite had been voracious before, but now that he was pregnant, it was awe inspiring. Especially given there was not a stray ounce of fat clinging to his compact body, except for maybe a slight thickening around his waist.

He sighed in envy; he just knew he wouldn’t be so lucky.

“I miss bacon,” Justin said, mournfully staring across the restaurant at a patron happily chowing down on a plate of bacon.

“I miss chocolate,” Blake countered in an equally mournful tone. “Why Peanut decided to hate chocolate of all things, I have no idea.”

“Chocolate?” Justin stared at Blake incredulously.  “Really?”

Blake nodded, looking utterly miserable as he stared at a passing tray with a chocolate shake on it. Emmett couldn’t blame him at all; if he couldn’t eat his weight in chocolate if he felt like it while pregnant, there was really no point to life.

“I am so sorry,” Justin said, patting him on the back. “I don’t know how I’d survive without chocolate; Brian would have likely been dead by now.”

“Trust me,” Blake muttered, rubbing his stomach. “It was close a few times. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I would have to deal with all of the 2 a.m. feedings alone; and that was so not happening.”

“You know,” Emmett said, eyeing his two friends with mild panic; because, there were a lot of things Emmett was willing to give up for his child, but chocolate was not one of them. “You two really do not make it sound all that appealing.”

“Well, the first few months do kind of suck,” Blake laughed, sharing a commiserating look with Justin; and then his face softened and he rubbed his belly again. “But then, you hear your child’s heartbeat or feel them move for the first time, and suddenly, it’s all worth it. “

“I can’t wait for that,” Justin said, flashing Blake a shy smile as he too rested his hand on his stomach. “There have been a couple of times where I thought I might have felt something, but it could have been gas bubbles.”

“That’s so amazing,” Emmett cooed, clapping his bands with excitement; he really couldn’t wait until his Baby was at that stage.

“Yeah, but then you get to the end and…” Blake said before trailing off into a sharp gasp. He clutched at his stomach and sunk his teeth into his lower lip as he tried to bite back a moan. “Ow; fuck that one hurt.”

“What?” Emmett asked, watching Blake with concern. “Is something the matter with the baby, sweetie?”

“Contraction,” Blake gasped, his knuckles blanching as he pressed his hand against his stomach. “They’re starting to get stronger and come closer together.”

“Are you telling me that you’ve been in labor this entire time?” Emmett demanded, his panic ratcheting up another notch as he stared at his friend incredulously. He was so not ready for this.

“Well, sure,” Blake shrugged; and seriously, how the fuck could he be so blasé when Emmett could feel his heart trying to pound it’s way out his chest at the mere thought of labor. “What did you expect me to do? Run to the hospital at the first sign of pain? I don’t think so; this is going to take hours yet and the last thing I need is Ted freaking out and hovering.”

Emmett gaped and then shook his head.

“Oh, hell, no,” he said, pulling out his wallet and throwing some bills on the table – more than enough to cover their bill and leave a substantial tip – and then stood.  “I love you, sweetie; but I did not sign up for this. Let’s go.”

Blake just laughed and help up his hands in surrender; he stood and allowed Emmett to take his arm and hasten him out the door, and hopefully, to a hospital that could deal with this a lot better than he; pausing only momentarily to stare at Justin incredulously as he flagged down a waiter and said.

“Can I get this to go?”