Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

February 4 (Part Two)

Emmett soberly watched the scene playing out in front of him with just a hint of a smile touching his lips, knowing that Baby's loud complaints would get him nowhere. It was a fight he'd become familiar with – Justin nagging Brian; and Brian ignoring Justin's complaints in favor of what he felt was best – since Justin had entered their lives.

It's also one he'd find much more amusing if he wasn't still trying to hold onto the reins of his temper, and wasn't fully cognizant of the reason for this hospital visit.

Oh, he hadn't been aware of the reason for Justin's meltdown at the time; but due to the amazing pervasiveness of digital media today, Emmett was now well-aware of why Justin had broken down the way he had. And he was madder than a wet hen; or, as his Aunt Lula would have said, 'that boy is about to pitch his self a dying duck fit. You best be running unless you want him to cancel your birth certificate.'

Tapping his fingers on the arm of his chair, he felt a cold rage envelop him as he thought back to the video that Todd had sent him. Todd had gotten it from his roommate, the moron who taped it in the first place, and had barely stopped him from posting it on YouTube. A good thing indeed since it carried information that did not need to be released to the public. And really, he'd love to know where the little twerp had gotten that information; he didn't believe for a minute that Carl had said one word about it.

He wished that he could say that he couldn't believe the vile things that spewed from Michael's mouth, but sadly, he couldn't. Even if he hadn't seen the video with his own eyes, he could fully believe that Michael was that low, that vile. And it certainly wasn't a recent thing by any means. No matter how much Baby denied it; Emmett had seen the cold, calculating look develop in Michael's eyes over the years when he addressed Baby. That yellow-bellied, snake in the grass knew exactly what he was doing.

Emmett had long wanted to instigate a Come-to-Jesus Meeting; preferably with his foot up Michael's ass. But Baby had talked him out of it time and time again; and because he loved Justin so much, and was trying to heed his wishes, Emmett had remained silent.

Well no more.

After watching his Baby work himself up into such an agitated state that he literally passed out due to hyperventilation; he wasn't going to sit back and play Mister Nice Guy. Michael was in his crosshairs, and he better do as his Aunt Lula would have suggested, running long and hard; because his check was about to come due and he'd long been writing checks his ass couldn't cash.

Sighing, Emmett tuned back into the ongoing 'discussion' between Baby and Big Bad, and was just thankful that Brian hadn't seen the confrontation video. Yet. Emmett had enough problems keeping his own temper in check; he didn't have the time or the patience to hold back a rampaging Kinney set on the warpath.

A sight that could be truly beautiful to behold when it was directed to a laser-like point, but also one that left a wide spread trail of collateral damage in his wake.

And there would be plenty of the latter in this particular case.

"When can I get out of here again?" Justin groused, punching at his pillows as he tried to beat them into some sort of comfortable state.

"Tomorrow," Brian reiterated, rolling his eyes at his husband's continued antics and slapping Justin's hands away as he rearranged the pillows once more. "I already told you this."

"It was just an anxiety attack," Justin huffed, throwing himself against the pillows in a fit of pique that almost hid the way his hands trembled. "I just don't see what the fuss is; I've had them before. There was no need to haul me off to the hospital."

"Your blood pressure is still higher than they like," Brian said, sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose, likely praying for patience. "They want to observe you overnight to make sure this is an anomaly, not something we need to worry about. It's done, Justin. And all the whining and groveling in the world is not going to change this."

"You take that back," Justin hissed, baring his teeth in the process; and really, he wasn't helping his argument by doing that. "I do not whine!"

"You're doing a great impression of it then," Brian said, casting an irritated look Justin's way; and then said something that had Emmett wincing because he knew it wouldn't go over well at the moment. "For a minute there; I swore that Mikey was in the room."

"Don't speak that name to me!" Justin spat, his eyes spitting fire; and yup, Emmett had known that would happen. Now that Baby was no longer shocked by the venom Michael had spewed at him, he was spitting mad.

"Oh, fuck," Brian said, narrowing his eyes at his husband. "What the fuck did Michael do now?"

"Nothing," Justin mumbled, wincing as he never intended on saying anything.

Baby crossed his arms over his chest and looked away from Big Bad, likely in the hope that he'd drop it. Emmett could have told him that would never happen. Big Bad was on the scent of trouble and was a fucking terrier with a bone when it came down to it.

"Justin." Brian stated implacably, a hint of steel in his eyes.

Justin turned back and just stared him down, not once flinching under that hard gaze, a mutinous expression firmly planted on his face.

"You know I will find out," Brian said, arching a brow. And really, that was the truth of it; because if Baby didn't fess up, Emmett sure as hell was going to do it. "You might as well come clean now."

"I can deal with it myself," Justin said, turning away to face the wall again.

Brian compressed his lips into a thin, white line as he stared at the back of Justin's head, his fingers clenching and unclenching as he tried to find way to get his recalcitrant husband to talk. And then he flicked his eyes over at Emmett, latching onto him with a suddenness that had Emmett sitting up straight; and then he smiled a cold, hard smile that said he'd figured out that Emmett was his best chance for information.

Swallowing thickly, Emmett stared right back, shivering at the look on Big Bad's face; and it took everything in him not to gasp out loud at the rage he'd seen simmering in Brian's eyes, inadvertently giving him away to Justin. His comic alter ego was well named and, for the first time, Emmett could really see from where Justin had drawn his inspiration for Rage; especially in this moment, when the living embodiment of Rage's JT was sitting in a hospital bed and suffering at the hands of his so-called friend.

"I hate hospitals," Justin muttered, wilting back against the pillows, his face paler than it should be as he stared miserably at the ceiling.

Brian instantly homed in on his husband once again, allowing Emmett to take a deep breath and relax. He didn't fool himself one bit in thinking that Brian wasn't going to pin him down as soon as possible to pump him for information. It would happen, and Emmett could all but read the number of days until Michael's demise in that look.

"I know, baby," Brian said, his face softening as he kissed Justin on the forehead. "But it's just for the night; and I will be right here with you the entire night." Brian ran his hand through Justin's hair, garnering him a watery smile. "Promise me that you will stay; if not for you then to make sure that Sunbeam is safe."

"Not fair," Justin mumbled, but seemed resigned to his fate.

"I thought we covered this before," Brian said, arching a brow as he sat back in his seat.

"I know, I know," Justin huffed, scowling at a very triumphant, and smug in the knowledge, Big Bad. "You still fight dirty."

"That's never been a secret, Sunshine," Brian smirked, running his fingers over Justin's arm before linking them with the fingers of the hand resting on Justin's stomach. "And still you manage to love me anyways."

Justin opened his mouth to respond, but was quickly interrupted by a blonde whirlwind as his mother rushed through the door in a panic. Justin didn't even bother to hide his groan as she rushed him, relief filling her face as she pulled him into her arms and nearly squeezed him to death.

"Justin!" Jen gasped against Justin's hair, her eyes closing against the tears welling up in them. Justin sighed and shot Brian an annoyed look as he patted her on the back. Brian just smirked, one that quickly smoothed out as Jen let Justin go and faced him. "I got here as quickly as I could, but between trying to get everyone out of the house I was showing and traffic…" Jen huffed and then dropped a kiss onto Brian's cheek before sitting down to catch her breath. "Hello, sweetheart; do you have any information yet?"

"You know," Justin huffed, staring at his mother in disbelief. "I am sitting right here."

"Hush, Justin," Jen admonished in the way only mothers could, barely sparing Baby a look before she turned back to Brian with a knowing look. It always amused Emmett that in these situations, Brian was the favored child; something Big Bad needled Baby about endlessly. "I know better than to ask you as you'll just downplay everything."

Justin huffed, threw himself dramatically on the bed, and buried his face into his pillows muttering something about interfering mothers and annoying husbands that wouldn't go away and leave him alone. Brian smirked at Justin's back, but quickly sobered as he filled Jen in on all of the details, his face growing darker with everything that the doctors had relayed to him about Justin's condition.

By the time he'd finished, Jen's face was set into a grim mask, Brian was clenching his hands into fists once more and Justin was staring at his hands with an uncomfortable moue on his face. And Emmett; he was furious. Meeting Brian's gaze once more, he nodded towards the door, getting a confirming nod in return.

"Jen," Brian said, a stiff smile on his face as he uncrossed his legs and stood. "Could you sit with Justin for a bit? I need to talk to Emmett out in the hall for a few minutes."

"Of course, sweetheart," Jen said, looking between Brian and Emmett with a curious expression, but didn't ask.

Justin's head shot up and he narrowed his eyes at his husband, but Brian just ignored him. Justin turned to look at Emmett instead, knowing he'd have a better chance of convincing him to let things go, but Emmett just shook his head.

"Emmett," Justin said with a stern look.

"Not this time, Baby," was all that Emmett said as he headed for the door.

"Mom!" Justin spluttered, a little shocked he wasn't getting his way. "You need to stop them!"

"Justin," Jen stated in a firm voice. "I don't know what's going on; but, if it's what I think it is, there is no way in hell I'm stopping them. Now lie down and stop fussing."

Brian and Emmett exchanged an amused look as Justin squawked at his mother's words and quickly left the room before Justin could try hopping out of the bed to stop them. They silently walked down the hall, passing the waiting room to find a much more private area before Brian turned to him with a grim, but determined smile.

"What happened?" he asked, his tone brooking no arguments. Not that Emmett intended to argue with him over this; he, himself, was done.

Taking a deep breath, Emmett quickly filled him in on what he'd seen happening at the restaurant, including how Justin had seemed tense the entire morning in spite of his efforts to distract him, leading up to when he came out of bathroom to find Michael hovering over him. Brian's face grew darker and darker as Emmett then relayed the argument between him and Michael and trying to help Justin with his panic attack, but he had been too far gone to listen.

And then, when Emmett mentioned the video that Todd had stopped his roommate from posting, Brian growled and demanded to see it for himself. Emmett pulled the video up and solemnly handed his phone over, his blood chilling in his veins as he watched Brian's face harden until two pieces of flint stared up at him.

"I am so done with this shit," Brian said in cold, measured tone that had Emmett shuddering as he handed Emmett his phone. "It ends now."

With that Brian walked around Emmett with a grim smile; and well, Emmett was all for Big Bad going out and handing Michael his ass. But…but he'd promised Justin that he would be there for the night; and if he went after Michael now, there was no way he wouldn't end up in a jail cell. So, girding himself up for a fight, Emmett strode after Brian and intercepted him, arms crossed over his chest.

"Honey," Emmett said, and then paused to find the words necessary to temper Brian's rage; at least for the night. "I know you're angry and I don't blame you; if I were in your place, and Michael had done this to Drew, you would not be able to stop me from shooting his ass. So, far be it for me to stop you from getting your vengeance."

"I sense a 'but' coming," Brian said tersely; but at least he was listening and not turning Emmett into a human pancake.

"But right now," Emmett pointed out with a knowing look. "Justin needs you more than you need to get revenge. That boy is terrified; not only because he's in the hospital, but because he knows damned well that this could have an adverse effect on Sunbeam."

Brian exhaled explosively, and then cursed under his breath as he turned on his heel and walked a few steps away. He pulled at his hair and then turned back and gestured impatiently for Emmett to continue his thoughts. Again, he was visibly unhappy at the interruption, but still willing to listen to Emmett's reasoning.

"And to top it all off, he is worried about you," Emmett continued, running a hand through his hair; God, he hoped this would work. He really didn't want to tell Baby that his husband was in jail because he'd murdered his former best friend. "That doesn't make for a good head space. So, you need to focus on him for now. And then tomorrow, or the next day, or a week from now, when he has been discharged and he's at home resting; you can seek out Michael and I will be right there with you. Understand?"

Brian exhaled explosively once more, but eventually nodded.

"Yeah, I get it," Brian huffed, obviously not at all happy with putting his plans off, but seeing the reason in the current situation.

"Good," Emmett nodded; and then his gaze hardened as he thought of something else. "So, you go take care of our boy; I have a few things I need to do myself."

"Em…" Brian warned, obviously thinking that Emmett was going to go after Michael himself.

"I promise not to do anything to Michael," he said with a thin smile. "Yet. But I am curious as to why Carl, who knows better than to talk about an open case, is filling Michael in on details that would be better off left in the dark. Something isn't right there. I just can't see him doing that no matter how much he loves Deb."

"You make an excellent point," Brian mused thoughtfully as they headed back to Justin's room. "I remember when he was dealing that rash of break-ins before he retired. And even though we all knew most of the details from friends, he still refused to confirm or deny anything."

"And that's why I don't believe Michael one bit," Emmett said; it would just be like Michael to twist things into his favor. "Something is fishy there; and I aim to find out."

"Let me know what you find out," Brian said, grimacing as he approached the door. "For now, I have a drama princess to deal with; God knows making sure he doesn't try to sneak out of the hospital will be headache enough for tonight."

"Kiss our Baby for me," Emmett teased, smirking when Brian glared at him. "I'll be back once I find out what the hell is going on."

"Not likely, Honeycutt," Brian glowered, pointing at Emmett. "The only kisses my baby will be receiving are from me, and me alone. Keep your hands to yourself."

"Can't blame me for trying," Emmett quipped as he continued down the hall. "And don't call me, Honeycutt."