Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

So, I'm not too happy with this chapter. I had a hard time getting into the right mindset for it, so I'm hoping it isn't to disjointed.

 

February 1 (Part One)

He couldn't believe it. When he'd first seen them sitting in Crosswinds Grille, he'd thought his eyes were playing tricks on him. Again. That he was seeing things and that his love would vanish into thin air as he'd done so many times before, becoming some other blond that wasn't nearly as comely as his. After all, this isn't the sort of place that he would expect to find the two of them. Oh, his little blond would surely eat all of this shit up; he'd always been a romantic at heart. But the dickhead, well; he'd said multiple times he'd never be caught dead staying in a bed and breakfast or doing any of this romantic claptrap.

Which he'd once thought would play in his favor. This difference in romantic expectations had split them up before; he'd been hoping that something similar would do so again, because his blond could never resist the pull of romance for long. But it seemed like the asshole had learned from his past mistakes as the proof stood before him.

His beautiful love stood on the sidewalk across the street, a streetlamp illuminating his face and hair, giving him an ethereal glow, and leaving him utterly breathless in its wake. It had always been this way; at least for him. He'd recalled the first time he'd seen his beauty; the rapt expression on his face as he stared up at the stage, completely entranced by what he was hearing and seeing.

The way his lips parted, as if he were trying to, but couldn't quite catch his breath, his eyes shining with wonder. He'd made such a beautiful sight, and it had taken every drop of discipline in him not to disrupt the performance by going up to him and pressing his lips to that sweet, parted mouth, kissing him senseless.

But there had been too many people watching; and he hadn't wanted to share that moment with anyone, but his love. That should, and would, be a pleasure for him and him alone. So, he'd managed, just barely, to control himself with the intention of approaching him at a later date and making his bid for affection well known.

he wasn't worried. He knew that he'd win his beauty over. He'd never doubted his powers of persuasion in that moment. After all, he'd won over anyone he'd made a play for previously; no one could resist him for long. He hadn't felt one doubt that his love would follow suit. Who wouldn't want to be with him after all? He was charming, handsome, and talented; and he knew how to do and say all the right things.

Why wouldn't his little beauty fall into his waiting arms? Especially as he'd been so confused and alone at the time.

Except; just as soon as he'd had his love almost snared, he'd made a pivotal mistake in handling him. One that had cost him everything, allowing that bastard to sweep right in, turn his love's head and claim him for his own.

Staring at his love, he scowled as he watched the bastard wrap his arms around him, and press his lips to his love's, tasting him as he yearned to do so. Didn't he realize that he was only a placeholder? Someone to pass the time with because it wasn't the right time for them. That his love would leave the bastard just as soon as he'd gotten rid of his attachments, because they were the ones that were meant to be together? That they were connected and it was only a matter of time before his love came home to him? How could he not see it?

It was so obvious that his love felt the connection too; after all, why else would he have traveled here, of all places? A place that meant so much to him; a place that was an intrinsic part of his past. He was certain that his love remembered that, and that his love felt the same ties of fate that he had the moment they met. This was a little, picturesque, out-of-the-way town that was miles from everything they knew and held no significance to his love or the asshole, so why else would he be here if it wasn't to find him?

Plus, he'd seen the way his love kept looking for him all day as he'd followed them from event to event. The way he'd stop for a moment, his bright blue eyes sweeping the crowd, looking for something, looking for him. It had made his heart flutter and his blood rush, and he could just imagine their sweet reunion when it had happened. There had even been one time when Kinney had gone to the bathroom at Lusia's, that his love had looked straight at him, making him feel alive and like his life meant something again.

He'd been so tempted to go up to him then. To tell him that he felt it too and he was sorry for all the pain he'd caused in that past, but he was ready to treat him like the prince that he was meant to be. He'd even gulped down a couple of shots of tequila for a bit of liquid courage; but just as he'd gathered enough of said courage to approach his love, the bastard had come back from the bathroom and whisked him away.

Likely because he was worried that they would connect; but he couldn't stop it from happening. His love knew he was there; he had seen the way he hesitated and tried to wait for him to catch up numerous times, only to be thwarted and dragged away by Kinney.

It was only a matter of time and place.

Inhaling deeply, he closed his eyes and thought back to that morning. God, being near him had been blissful and heartbreaking at the same time. To have him so near, close enough to touch, but hindered because of a jealous asshole – it was a sweet torture. One he'd gladly suffer just to bask in his presence.

He remembered catching up with them at the parade this afternoon, once again delighted that he wasn't imaging things when he'd heard his laugh in the restaurant, followed by a flash of bright blond hair as he and the asshole were leaving. He'd even managed to get close enough at the parade to feel his heat, to hear his soft happy sighs, to smell his soap and shampoo. God, he'd smelled amazing – a mixture of citrus and sandalwood and almonds – just as he had when they'd first met.

He'd been so beautiful standing there, the sun hitting his hair and gilding it. And he'd wanted so much to lean into him then and there; to announce his presence, wrap his arms around him, to breathe him in, to kiss the soft pink lips that should belong to him. To claim him for his own; but he erred on the side of discretion, knowing that it wasn't the right time for them yet and that his love would arrange the perfect opportunity for them to meet before leaving here this weekend.

A meeting that was soon to take place based on his longer and lingering looks.

Opening his eyes, he watched as his love looked over at him one final time, just as Kinney walked into Pucker Up Candy Shoppe. Heart hammering in his chest, he licked his lips and knew that it was a sign. He could feel it, knew through their connection that his love was telling him it was safe to come to him, that he was waiting for him.

Finally, finally, they could be together.

Taking a deep breath, he stepped off the curb, waiting for a solitary car to pass before it was safe to cross and then quickly made his way across the street. His love had looked away in the meantime, but that didn't worry him any. He was certain he was just playing it cool so that Kinney wouldn't become suspicious. He just walked quicker, and soon he was nearly there, but then that asshole ruined it all!

… … … … …

Justin yawned and propped his back against the streetlamp, tired after a long day of running around the festival. He grinned to himself, still having a hard time believing that Brian had put this all together. Oh, he knew that Brian would deny it. That he'd tell Justin it was only good business to come up and explore the area so he had a better idea of how and to whom to market the inn. But he knew better.

His husband had turned into a bit of a closet romantic; though he'd never admit to it himself.

Sweeping his eyes over the street, he'd already fallen in love with the town and hoped that they could come back in the summer. Although, with Sunbeam due in June, it wasn't likely; they'd be far too busy trying find time to merely sleep to even think of getting away for a weekend. But maybe the following summer. Sunbeam would a year old then and he'd either feel better about leaving for a couple of days, or they could bring her with them.

Looking over his shoulder, he smirked to see Brian at the check out counter waiting for the clerk to finish helping the person in front of him. He would have gone in with Brian, but he was having far too much fun people watching; he had all these ideas he wanted to put down in his sketchpad once they got back to the room.

Turning back to the street, Justin's eyes lingered just a moment on a man that was standing across the street looking over at the candy shop. He frowned; there was something familiar about the person, but he couldn't put his finger on why. Maybe it was his build, or the way he stood, or something about his eyes, but he'd swear that he knew him. He couldn't place why as the other person was covered near head to toe with only a small part of his face visible. In fact, the only reason he could tell it was a man at all was the clothing was very masculine, the way he held himself, and most telling, when his scarf moved once, he could see the hint of an Adam's apple.

The man looked this way, seeming to contemplate on whether or not to go to the store; and then he was crossing the street, so Justin guessed he'd made up his mind. Losing interest, he turned back to the shop and he smiled when Brian picked up his bag, said something to the clerk and then walked out of the shop. Smirking, Brian walked up to him and handed Justin the bag without a word spoken between them.

"What is this?" Justin asked, a bit puzzled as Brian hadn't told him why he'd wanted to go into a candy shop in the first place.

"Open the bag and find out," Brian smiled, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Brian…" Justin said, and then huffed when Brian just gestured to the bag; and then he grinned as he started to dig through the contents and found some of his favorite candies; including salt water taffy and several chocolaty things that made his mouth water.

"Those are mine," Brian said, as Justin picked up a bag of dark-chocolate-covered coffee beans; and then grabbed them and stuffed the bag in his pocket. Justin frowned at the loss. "Pouting won't get you anywhere, Sunshine. There is plenty of other shit in there, including those stupid Jelly Belly's that you like so much. I also got you some rocky road, chocolate-covered raisins, and peanut butter cups too."

"What's the occasion?" Justin asked, bouncing on his toes as he went through his goodies, and silently damning the fact that he ate so much that he couldn't even enjoy it at the moment.

"I thought I'd grab you a snack or two for later," Brian shrugged, chuckling when Justin squealed with excitement as he found a pint container of Velvet Fresh Strawberry ice cream and another of Raspberry Fudge Cordial.

"Oh God, and I am so stuffed," Justin whined, desperately wanting to dig into the strawberry ice cream now, but knowing there was no way he could eat even a bite. "I guess, I'll just have to save these for later."

"I would hope so," Brian snorted; he wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders and began herding him down the street. "Considering you've eaten pretty much nonstop all day. Between the Baked Cinnamon Brioche French Toast breakfast with bacon, an oatmeal parfait, and both yours and my home fries and the chili and muffins at the cook off, and the hot dog you just had to have and the nachos you had at Lusia's and the spaghetti, I'm surprised I'm not rolling you down the street."

"Fuck off," Justin said without heat, sticking his tongue out at his husband for good measure. "It's not my fault that Sunbeam has as voracious an appetite as I do. Mom said that she was the same way when she was pregnant with me."

"Great," Brian grumbled and shook his head. "Another kid to eat me out of house and home." Justin squawked at that description and elbowed him. "Ow! You and your fucking pointy, little elbows are a menace. Behave, Sunshine; or I might just rescind on your surprise tomorrow."

"No you won't," Justin said confidently; he knew that Brian would never go back on his word no matter how annoyed he might be. Plus, Justin knew just how to talk him around.

"I might," Brian hummed, smirking when Justin just gave him a 'get real' look; and then he smiled and wrapped his arms around Brian's face.

"No you won't, because you are the best husband ever," Justin said, squeezing him around the middle. Brian looked down and arched a brow, making Justin turn serious. "And I couldn't love you more if I tried in this moment. Thank you for planning this trip."

"Don't get moist," Brian groused, huffing when Justin just squeezed him again and buried his face into his chest. "Like I said, it's a working weekend and I figured we might as well take advantage of a free room and all the amenities so that I have a better idea of how to market this place."

"Bullshit," Justin sing-songed, drawing another huff from his husband. He grinned and turned around and walked backwards, poking Brian in the chest. "I am so on to you, Mr. Taylor-Kinney. I know you could have sent any number of your minions to take care of this, but you didn't."

"Yeah, well," Brian said as he rolled his eyes and grabbed Justin's hand, yanking him back into his side. He pressed a kiss to the top of Justin's head. "Gotta keep the husband happy, right? A happy Sunshine means sex on a regular basis; thus leading to a happy Brian. Win-win in my eyes."

"You're so full of it," Justin snorted, snuggling up under his arm and teasing him as he did when he was teenager. "And you soooooooo adore me."

"Yeah, I do." Brian said, rolling his lips between his teeth. Justin beamed, and ignored when Brian rolled his eyes again. "So, I was thinking; we should head back to our room and put that tub and bed into good use. And if you're a real good boy, I'll even let you…"

… … … … …

He seethed as he watched them walk away, wrapped in each other's arms, the asshole whispering something into his love's ear and ensnaring him once again. It happened every time. Just as his love was starting to break the spell Kinney had woven around him, that asshole would come back and hook him once again.

Well, he was tired of it all; it was time to make his presence known and put Kinney in his place for good.