Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

January 27

Justin took a sip of his chocolate-strawberry milkshake and opened the folder in front of him, nodding at the contents, quite pleased with what he'd seen so far.

When he'd given Emmett free rein on the baby shower, not wanting to deal with all the niggling details after the fiasco that was their wedding – and thank God that he never had to do that again; Sunbeam was completely on their own when they got married – he was worried that it would end up being an over the top event. One that he would have to veto in order to make sure Emmett survived the event.

Brian had been none to pleased at the thought of giving Emmett free rein, but Justin had had faith in their friend. And judging by the fun, but tasteful decorations he was seeing, he was absolutely justified in that trust.

"So, I was thinking; since you aren't planning to tell us the sex of the baby anytime soon," Em said, shooting Justin a disgruntled look. Justin just smile placidly in return; he had no intentions of caving on this anytime soon, so they all just had to deal. "That we should go with this cute yellow, grey and blue theme. But not baby blue, more of a sky blue like you see on this invitation."

"That is so cute," Justin gushed, taking in the details.

"I figured that with you and Brian calling the baby Sunbeam," Em continued with a smile, flipping the page to reveal various yellow and grey decorations. "That would go with a 'You are My Sunshine' theme. I found some of the most adorable ideas for it." He flipped the page again. "Like, I was thinking of this for the cake."

"Oh, I like that," Justin clapped his hands and stared at the two-tier cake; and then bit his lip, wondering if that would be enough to serve all of their guests. The party just seemed to keep growing no matter how hard Justin tried to rein it in. "But will that be enough for all of our guests? It looks a little small."

"Isn't it darling?" Em gushed, smiling down at the cake for a moment before growing serious. "We'd be cutting it pretty close as it is, but we plan to make a sheet cake as well just to be certain; plus there will be cupcakes and cake pops for the kids. And the best part is it utilizes the same colors and designs that are on the invitation. Darren is so excited to make it."

Justin nodded and took another sip of his drink. That actually was a really good idea to have the cake pops and cupcakes for the kids. It would certainly be much more manageable and they could choose a couple of different cake flavors.

"What about the food?" Justin asked, moving onto the next area that he wanted to focus on. "I know it starts at noon, but I was hoping to do a mix of breakfast and lunch foods. You don't think it would be too late for that, do you?"

"No, not at all," Em said, shaking his head and slipping ahead a few pages to a buffet layout." I was thinking that we'd do some sliders for sure; I know how much you loved those at the last party I gave." Justin nodded enthusiastically, practically salivating at the thought. "I was thinking we'd do the salmon cake sliders with mixed baby greens, thinly sliced tomato and garlic aioli. And the pulled short rib slider with the apple slaw. The lamb burger with thinly sliced cucumber and tomato, topped with feta and Tzatziki. And then a Portobello slider with baby Swiss, caramelized onions, mixed greens and tomato."

"Uh…on the feta," Justin said, chewing on his bottom lip, a worried expression on his face. He had gotten this huge list of do and don't eats from his doctor, but it was difficult to keep it all straight sometimes. "I thought I read something that said that I wasn't supposed to have soft cheeses? Feta being one of them."

"The feta is perfectly fine," Em said, waving off his concern; and then explained further when Justin remained skeptical. "Most cheeses are fine as long as they are made with pasteurized milk. The only ones you should avoid, even if they are made with pasteurized milk, are soft rind cheeses. And that is because of the way they are stored. They are stored in a damp environment which makes them ripe breeding grounds for Listeria." Justin nodded, relieved to hear that as he loved his cheese. Em patted him on the hand reassuringly. "Don't worry, Baby. I've made sure that almost all of the items on the menu are safe for you to eat."

"Almost?" Justin frowned, wondering what on the menu could potentially be harmful.

"Yes, well, as you know," Em said, flipping to the next page. "You wanted a smoked salmon platter for Brian, which is strictly on the no-no list. But you already knew that. The other item would be the Brie that we'll be using for one of the tea sandwiches and the cheese platter. That is also on the must be avoided list."

"Well I don't like it anyways," Justin wrinkled his nose, vividly recalling his first and last experience with the cheese at Dr. Dave and Mikey's slide show. He shuddered as he remembered the taste and texture. "So that is not a problem."

"Don't like what?" said a genial voice that Justin had come to dread

Sighing internally, he turned to the intruder with a thin smile, wishing the man had just ignored him for once. Brandon smiled down at him, licking his lips and his eyes raking over his body lustfully. Justin barely quelled a shudder of disgust. He didn't know what it was about this man, but the thought of him being anywhere near him made him ill.

This thing with Brandon had started several years back, and hadn't faded even after Justin and Brian had gotten married. After Brian had won that ill-thought out Top Ten competition, (and seriously, what the hell had his husband been thinking); and then had embarrassed the younger man by denying his winnings and tossing him out the door, Brandon's attention had swung from Brian and latched onto Justin for some reason.

He'd always thought it was because Brandon wanted to prove to Brian that he wasn't the only one who could have Justin at any time or any place he chose out of some misguided sense of revenge. As, he'd come onto Justin immediately there after when Justin had been out dancing at Babylon one night. Suspicious of his intentions, Justin instantly shot him down and walked away, ignoring the man for the rest of the night.

It had gotten ugly after that for about a week, with Brandon making pointed, snide comments that Justin ignored; he just didn't have the time for the other man's pettiness. And then another week later he and Brian were back on and it hadn't mattered.

He'd expected Brandon to drop it once he realized that nothing was going to happen; but every couple of months or so, the other man tracked Justin down and tried his luck once more.

"Brandon," Em said with a falsely bright smile, doing his best to draw the other man's attention from Justin. "How charming to see you out and about; I never realized that you actually made it out of the backroom like the rest of us mere mortals."

"A man has to eat sometime," Brandon said, tossing a fake smile of his own at Em; and then he turned to Justin, his smile morphing into something more genuine. "And when the scenery is so breathtaking, one can't help himself from basking in it. How are you today, Justin?"

"Brandon," Justin said blandly, keeping his features blank so that there was no way the other man could misread anything he did as encouragement. "Always a pleasure to see you." Not. "I've been doing well. And yourself?"

"Perfect now that I've seen you," Brandon said in a low voice, a leer on his face. Justin shuddered again internally, feeling very much in need of a shower after that look. And not due to any positive feelings on his part.

"Our Baby is quite radiant these days, isn't he?" Em said as he typed something into his phone and then set it aside and smiled at Justin. "I suspect it's that pregnancy glow that everyone talks about. Of course, being blissfully married to the man of his dreams plays a large part in that as well. I've never seen to people more in love. Well, except for maybe me and my Drewsie!"

"Kinney did luck out finding him before anyone else had a fair chance," Brandon said tightly, a muscle in his jaw ticking as he looked out the window. And Justin couldn't help but roll his eyes and share an exasperated smile with Em at that. Well, if that's they way it was going to be.

"I prefer to think I'm the lucky one," Justin smiled softly, as he always did when he thought of Brian. "He is as intelligent and talented is he is beautiful, inside and out, and so loving and supportive; I don't know how I got by without him. I couldn't ask for a better man in my life."

Yeah, he was laying it on thick; not that Brian wasn't all those things, but if the man in question could hear him right now, he would shudder, break out into hives and mutter something about lesbionic twats. Em pursed his lips, fighting back a smile as he stared at his phone; he tapped a couple of buttons and read whatever was there, his eyes clearing as started typing once more. Then he quickly set aside and smiled at Justin.

"That was just so sweet, Baby," Em gushed with a knowing glint in his eye. He was very well aware of what Justin was doing and more than happy to play along.

"Not to mention he has the most beautiful cock," Justin grinned lasciviously, internally snickering when Brandon stiffened at the mention. "God, I just can't get enough it."

"But the real question is," Em drawled confidentially, a sly smile on his face as he leaned over. "Is he as legendary in the sack as they all profess?"

"Like you need to ask," Justin smirked, well aware of the night the two had spent together before they were friends. "There is a reason that he still remains the uncontested Stud of Liberty Avenue; even if he is a retired stud these days." Justin turned and blinked as if surprised to see Brandon still standing there. Brandon, for his part, looked unhappy with the direction of their conversation. "Oh, sorry, Brandon; I do get carried away when it comes to my husband. Was there something you needed?"

"I just came over to…" Brandon said, leaning forward into Justin's space.

Justin moved away instantly, but didn't get very far away when Brandon was suddenly jostled out of the way by someone taking the seat next to him. Surprised, Justin met his husband's heated gaze for a brief second before Brian leaned down, prompting Justin to close his eyes and tilt his head up as Brian pressed lips to his. So, that's what Em had been up to. He really needed to buy something nice for his friend.

"Hey honey, I was able to make it after all," Brian said as he pulled away and picked up the folder that was sitting in front of Justin. "Got a last minute cancellation. Have you gone over the baby shower stuff already?"

"Kinney," Brandon said through clenched teeth, obviously irritated that he had been shunted aside yet again.

"Green," Brian said, wrapping a possessive arm around Justin, his eyes daring Brandon to do something so he had a reason to toss him out the door. Sadly, Brandon was far too smart for that and he just smiled thinly.

"See you around, Justin," Brandon said as he sauntered away.

"Not if I can help it," Justin muttered, scowling when Brian chuckled at his words.

"Now, now, now," Brian said, ruffling his hair and pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Let's not get testy. He can't help it if he has the good taste to admire your sweet, little ass."

"Yeah, well," Justin grimaced, shooting an irritated look at the departing Brandon. "I wish he'd admire it from as far away as possible. He gives me the creeps."

"Don't worry," Brian smirked, nuzzling against his cheek. "I'll protect you from the scary man, Sunshine."

Justin just shot him a dirty look; and then took a deep breath, and twisted his head in an effort to release some of the tension gathered in his neck. "So, did you really have a cancellation?"

"No, but Cynthia took over when she read Em's message," Brian admitted, casting a thankful look towards Em as he rubbed the back of Justin's neck. "She's well aware of how much you dislike these encounters with Brandon."

"Well, thank her for me when you get back," Justin said, relaxing into his husband's touch and shunting aside all thoughts of blonde's who couldn't take no for an answer.

Brian just hummed; he put in his order when the server came over and then turned to face Em with a tongue in cheek smirk. One that instantly raised Justin's hackles as it said he was up to no good.

"Hey, Emmy Lou," Brian said, casting a sly look Justin's way; one that had the hairs on the back of his neck standing further on end. "We missed you the other day."

Justin winced at those words and then shot Brian a 'don't you dare' look. One that Brian blatantly ignored as he focused all his attention on their friend. He wouldn't dare.

"The other day?" Em said, a bewildered look on his face. "Did we have plans that I wasn't aware of?"

"Nope," Brian said, still watching Justin from the corner of his eye. "I took Gus and Jenny shopping, and we were planning to stop by and see if you wanted go with us; but when I called, Drew said you'd already left to go talk to Justin about the baby shower. We were going maternity clothes shopping for Justin since he didn't want to go."

He did. Asshole. He would so pay for this later.

"Oh, what a shame!" Em frowned, looking disappointed to have missed it. "That would have been so much fun! Why on Earth wouldn't you want to go, Baby?"

"What my darling husband failed to mention," Justin said through clenched teeth, glaring at his smirking husband. Oh, yeah, he was going to pay; and pay dearly. "Was that I had gone shopping the day before with Daphne and had already picked up a bunch of maternity clothing."

"Yeah, at the Big Q," Brian sneered, his face twisted in disgust.

"Oh, say no more, honey," Em snorted, waving his hand in complete agreement. The traitor. Forget the nice gift. "I totally get how you needed to save our Baby from his bad fashion choices."

"Thanks," Brian snickered. "I knew you'd see it my way, Em. And actually, we can always go again; we didn't get a chance to get everything he'd need since I had to get the rug rats home."

"Oh, definitely," Em said, clapping his hands together with excitement, completely ignoring Justin's scowl. "Just let me know and I'll clear my schedule."

"I hate you," Justin muttered for Brian's ears only.

"Bet you'll want to come next time, won't you?" Brian replied with a smirk; and Justin just scowled and refused to answer, knowing when he was beat.