Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

I just noticed that link for the Due in June shirt was actually showing the maternity jeans again. Usually I double check my links after posting, but I got distracted last night and only checked the first two. It has since been fixed; sorry for the mix up. Also, I will be posting a Bonus vignette later tonight or tomorrow as well.


 

 

January 24

"Where's Brian?"

Justin sighed, closed his eyes and counted to ten as that familiar, grating whine washed over him. Taking a deep breath, he clenched his fists and counted to ten again; trying to settle his growing ire, but it still did nothing to ease his temper. He'd found that his normal patience for Michael's single-minded focus was dwindling day by day.

How the fuck had he managed to survive without a leash for this long?

He fervently prayed that Daphne got back from the bathroom soon; otherwise, she would be helping him scrape what was left of Michael up off the ground and helping him hide the body. He was fairly certain no one outside of Debbie would miss him much.

Setting the shirt he'd been looking at down he spun around, a thin smile on his face as he addressed the thirteen-year thorn in his side. "Well, hello, Michael; how are you doing today," he started off conversationally, although had Daphne been there, she would have instantly recognized it as his 'I am this close to eviscerating you' tone. "Me, I'm well, thank you for asking; the morning sickness seems to have abated and I have my appetite back, and I even felt Sunbeam move the other day, which was exciting."

"Real funny, Boy Wonder," Michael huffed and rolled his eyes.

It was all Justin could do not smack the vacant expression from his face. He'd been tempted many a time to do so; and, really, it would've been fully justifiable and years in the making if he'd finally given into the urge, but he chose not to. Because he knew if he did, Michael would end up whining even more than usual; and then Brian would get dragged into the fray because Michael can't solve his own fucking problems. This meant that Brian would end up annoyed with Justin, and could lead to all those lovely hours of delicious reunion sex being put on hold because Brian was too busy dealing with a whiny, little weasel.

Thus not hitting him was purely selfish on Justin's part.

"Where's Brian?" said weasel demanded again, getting more and more impatient the longer Justin ignored him.

Part of Justin was tempted to see just how far he could wind Michael up before he simply imploded form a lack of information on his drug of choice. But the other part of Justin, the one that had far more sense on this occasion, whispered the words 'reunion sex' and firmly brought the rebellious part to heel.

"Why do you need to know?" Justin asked, a placid smile on his face.

Okay, so maybe it hadn't been fully brought to heel, but it did try.

"I've been calling him for the past two days," Michael whined, droning on and on about all the perceived slights against him; and seriously, how did this man survive without a keeper? Where the fuck was Ben when you needed him? "He hasn't answered a single one of my calls. I've tried him at home, on his cell, at Kinnetik, but that bitch he employs always tells me that he's not available and that he'll get back to me when he has the time no matter what he's doing."

Justin snorted, thankfully bringing the diatribe to an immediate halt and Michael crossed his arms over his chest and pouted like the man-child that he was.

"He is busy most of the time, Michael," Justin sighed, knowing that his words would fall on deaf ears, but feeling the need to defend his husband nonetheless. For some reason, Michael still had no idea just how hard Brian had always worked to get to where he was now. "The business doesn't run itself."

"He couldn't possibly need to be working that hard," Michael grumbled, making Justin bristle, because who the fuck was he to question Brian's work ethic?

And you'd know this how? Because you own a dinky, little comic store that no one cares about and has definitely seen better days? Yes, apt comparison there.

"Besides he's not even in the state at the moment," Justin continued through grit teeth, blatantly ignoring the weasel's resumed pouting. "He's in Chicago. One of the breweries up there wanted a revamp and a national roll out, so he's there making a presentation. And then he's meeting up with a couple of our larger accounts since he's in the area and they asked to see him. He's in meetings pretty much back to back. He wouldn't have time to call you."

"What?" Michael squawked, drawing the attention of several customers nearby. "Why wasn't I informed of this?"

"Why would you be?" Justin asked, not seeing why it was any of the weasel's business in the first place; you'd think that Brian had married him, not Justin with the way he acted at times.

"Because I'm his…" Michael said, beginning a familiar phrase that had Justin wanting to bang his head against the nearest dense object. Sadly, that was Michael's head; and as appealing as the thought was, Justin knew that if he even tried, he'd just cause himself more brain damage rather than knocking some well-needed sense into the older man.

"Best friend," Justin finished tired, mentally rolling his own eyes. "Yes, we are all quite aware of the fact since you remind everyone as often as you can. But that is the point; you're his friend, not his husband. He doesn't report to you."

"Oh, and he reports to you?" Michael asked in a belligerent tone.

"Uh, yes," Justin said slowly, speaking as if he would to a small, particularly dense child; which actually described Michael's mentality to a T. "You know, it's all part of being his husband; also known as the one he fucks on a routine basis. Not to mention that I'm also part owner of Kinnetik and would need to be kept apprised of his comings and goings so that I can be in the office if needed."

"I wouldn't count on that lasting," Michael muttered, a snide smile on his face; and truly, Michael could be an ugly human being. How others didn't see it, he didn't know.

"What lasting?" Justin asked, already having a feeling he knew the direction this was going; because no one could beat a dead horse like Michael.

"Him fucking you," Michael sneered, an ugly smile on his face.

"Oh and why is that?" Justin couldn't help asking, amused that the idiot was really going to go here again. Seriously, he needed a new shtick because this one was decidedly old.

"Well, you're going to be getting bigger and bigger as time goes on," Michael sneered, raking a disgusted look over Justin's expanding belly. "And you know that Brian can't stand when someone lets themselves go. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this trip was just an excuse for him to go out and stick his dick in as many tricks as possible since he can't be satisfied with what he's getting at home…"

"He's pregnant, not letting himself go, moron," Daphne said as she walked out of the racks behind Michael, startling him. "There is a vast difference, as you well know."

Michael looked around wildly, an 'oh shit' expression on his face; guess the weasel hadn't realized that Justin had company. Justin grinned at his best friend and then just settled in to watch the show. Daphne had been dying to put Michael in his place for years and only held back because Michael wisely steered clear of her.

"Do I detect a note of jealousy, Mikey?" Daphne asked, her voice syrupy sweet as she walked over to where Michael was standing.

Michael's eyes widened until the whites could be seen and swallowed harshly, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat. Daphne, shark that she was, scented blood in the water and closed in on him, her smile diamond sharp as she continued.

"You know, even if Brian wasn't satisfied with his sex life; which, trust me, he is given the stories I've heard. He still wouldn't be into you. And that's the real problem, isn't it?"

"Jealous? Jealous of what?" Michael spluttered, his face turning an unhealthy shade of mottled puce.

Daphne circled him like one of those piranhas you see in cartoons, taunting the prey and taking little nibbles out of the flesh before they devoured them whole. But in this instance, Daphne was whittling away at Michael's massive ego; a very happy and much needed happenstance in Justin's opinion.

"Jealous that Justin is everything thing you're not – beautiful inside and out, intelligent, creative, strong, resourceful, passionate, and brave – and he, at the mere age of seventeen, was far more of man than you could ever hope to be. He is the perfect foil to Brian; his strengths bolster Brian's weaknesses and vice versa."

"Please, Brian could do so much better…" Michael snorted, casting a vicious glare Justin's way.

Justin just blew him a kiss much to his annoyance and sniggered as he noticed someone recording the smack down onto their phone. Come to think of it, the kid looked familiar and Justin was pretty sure he'd seen him down on Liberty Avenue a time or two. Michael was about to become infamous once again.

"You know, you've been saying the same thing for thirteen years," Daphne snorted, casting a disdainful look Michael's way. "And it still hasn't changed anyone's perceptions. All it's done is made you sound like a broken record and it's gotten to the point that we've all learned to tune you out for our own sanity."

"You can say what you want, but eventually Brian will get tired of playing daddy, and then where will Justin be?" Michael said, trying a new tack when he realized that the other wasn't working.

"Like he did with Gus?" Daphne asked, a smirk firmly planted on her face. "I think you said the same thing then too. But let's cut the crap. We all know that's not what this is about. This goes back to a little, well-known fantasy you have that Brian will suddenly wake up and see that you've been the one all these years."

Michael flushed an even deeper red and scowled at Daphne, but didn't say a word more, as he was aware there was nothing he could say to combat her words. He was woefully unequipped when it came to taking on this FLOTUS in training, if she didn't become the actual President herself.

"I would say that I hate to inform you of this," Daphne continued with a saccharine smile. "But let's get real – I am so going to enjoy setting you straight. Newsflash Mikey – if he hasn't sucked your dick in the twenty-eight years that he's known you, he isn't going to. He's not interested and never really was. You keep holding onto an uncompleted hand job when he was a teenager and really just interested in someone else's hand on his dick; it had nothing to do with you and really it wouldn't have mattered who was in the bed with him that day so long as he got off. It's called experimenting."

"I can't believe you told her that," Michael spluttered, face paling to a ghostly white. And actually, Justin hadn't said a thing, but it wasn't like it was a secret. Everyone had heard about the infamous hand job that wasn't by now. "I am not holding onto…"

"Bitch please, sell it to someone who's buying," Daphne snapped getting tired of Michael's continuing denial. "Do you want to know the reason it wasn't, and never will be, you? It's because you need someone to take care of you, whereas Justin can take care of his own damned self. Poor little Mikey needs someone to hold his hand through his life and make all his decisions for him. Doesn't have a mind of his own; always conforming to what his partners think is best. Brian would die of boredom if he were ever to attempt a relationship with you because there is nothing there to challenge him. He needs a spitfire, not a drone."

"You better watch what you're saying…" Michael hissed, taking a step towards Daphne as if he expected it would make her cower. Justin just shook his head; Michael picked the wrong woman to mess with.

"And just what are you going to do about it, huh?" Daphne asked, getting right up into his face this time. "Run to mommy and complain that the mean girl is picking on you? Complain to Brian that Justin's little fag hag needs to be reminded of her place?" Michael flushed and didn't deny a thing. "Just as I thought; and then you wonder why it isn't you. You are nothing but a spineless, petty, jealous, sorry excuse for a man who hides behind his mommy and has yet to realize that he wore out his welcome a long ass time ago. Now go away little boy and leave the adults to shop."

Michael puffed himself up as if he were going to say something, but then, seeing the gleefully malevolent gleam in Daphne's eye, he spun on his heel and stormed off, his cheeks reddening further as people began to applaud. Barely holding back his own laughter, Justin turned to his friend and arched a brow.

"You are evil," He said mildly; he couldn't even be upset that this was going to cause him a headache at a much later date as it was the best entertainment he'd had in days. He walked over and kissed her on the cheek. "I'm so glad that you're my evil minion."

"Bitch please," Daphne snorted, linking her arm with his as she dragged him off to yet another store. "I am the Queen of my own domain. I am no one's minion."