Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

January 2

Staring at the computer in front of him, Brian sighed and rubbed a hand over his face as he flipped through the digital pictures his Sonny Boy had sent him. Or, really, it was one in particular that had caught his attention. He didn’t even think Gus realized what he’d caught on camera, as the person Brian was staring at wasn’t the focus of the photo, but in the background.

At the center was Justin, laughing, and being nearly squeezed to death by both Debbie and Jen after their announcement. Emmett was leaning forward in his chair trying to put his hands on Justin’s still flat stomach, while Drew tried to keep him from falling out of said chair. Ted, who had known before everyone due to Justin blurting it out during a pitch, just smiled, his arm wrapped around an equally happy, and very pregnant, Blake.

And hadn’t that been a blessing in disguise? He didn’t know how they would have made it through the first weeks of morning sickness without Blake. He’d likely be dead, having been murdered in his sleep by his very sick and emotionally wrought husband for knocking him up in the first place. It didn’t matter that theirs was a planned pregnancy when Justin was hugging the toilet bowl.

Next to them was an excited Jenny, beaming and clapping her hands in glee at the thought of being a big sister. And of course, Justin; he always went back to Justin in the end because… God, he was beautiful, glowing with health and happiness as everyone congratulated them on the baby.

The lone sour note of the entire composition was standing in an out of the way corner, arms crossed over his chest, pouting like a five-year-old instead of the forty-two-year-old man that he was supposed to be. Mikey stared at Justin malevolently; with a scowl on his face that sent a chill down Brian’s spine. He’d noticed that Mikey had been silent for the rest of the night, claiming tiredness, but hadn’t noticed his initial reaction as he’d been too caught up watching his husband.

But seeing it now, he’d wished he had, so he could’ve pulled Michael away from the rest of group and reamed his ass for his attitude; telling him to either get the fuck over it, or don’t bother coming back into the house.

How he’d missed this that night, he didn’t know; but he wasn’t going to put up with it if Mikey even thought of causing issues.

Hearing humming coming down the hall, Brian quickly tapped the arrow to switch to the next picture. He’d prefer to keep it from Justin if at all possible. His husband did not need the added stress.

He studied the next photo. This one had Justin as the centerpiece again, but also included Brian this time as well. He smiled as he recalled being reluctantly tugged into the middle of the Jen, Justin and Deb sandwich by Deb. He’d laughed, and tried to fight them off, even as he wrapped his arms around his husband and pressed his lips into Justin’s hair. And Justin holding his stomach and laughing as he whispered ridiculous things in his ear.

“What are you looking at?” Justin asked as he came up behind him.

“Some pictures that Gus took on Christmas Day,” Brian said, tipping his head back to kiss him. Justin smiled against his mouth and then pulled away, rubbing his nose against Brian’s before they both turned back to the photo. “Or, more specifically, pictures from when we made our announcement.”

“Oh, that,” Justin said in somewhat flat tone; Brian turned to his husband a bit sharply, wondering if Sonny Boy had sent the file to Justin as well. But then he recalled that Gus had told him to make sure Justin saw them, and relaxed. Still, he didn’t like whatever put that look on Justin’s face.

“Yeah, that,” Brian said, watching his husband closely for any clues to what might be bothering him. Justin just shrugged and waved him off.

“Honestly, I’m not sure what was worse,” Justin said, as he walked toward the mini fridge Brian kept in his study and pulled out a bottle of water.

Justin held the bottle up in question, but Brian shook his head and held up his tumbler of Beam in answer. Closing the door, Justin opened the bottle and took a sip as he made himself comfortable on the leather couch.

“You were saying?” Brian prompted, wanting to know what exactly had put that frown on Justin’s face.

“Right,” Justin continued with a sigh. “I don’t know what was worse – Michael’s complete and utter denial that we’re a couple.”

Ah that.

Brian’s grimaced, vaguely recalling an overheard snippet of conversation between Michael and Justin soon after the announcement. Something about how Justin must be proud of himself to have finally found a way to tie Brian to him for life. Yet another thing he would be addressing with Michael. And soon.

He’d thought Michael had gotten over this shit years ago. But it seemed like, every time something big happened in Brian’s life – especially when he didn’t know about it in advance – he freaked out and pulled the, ‘you aren’t really a couple’ bullshit. It was getting a bit old.

But that was a topic for later; he’d have to find some time to set Mikey straight and preferably when Justin wasn’t around.

In the meantime, he needed to tune back in.

“This is in spite of the fact that we’ve been together about two years longer than he and Ben have,” Justin said, his brow pinched with irritation.

And wasn’t that the truth? True, he and Justin hadn’t had what could be called a conventional relationship in the beginning, but it had still been a relationship.

“Or was it Lindsay’s Earth Mother with all the answers routine,” Justin finished with a huff.

Brian snorted, because the idea of Lindsay being an expert at anything related to relationships or raising children amused him. Frankly, when it came to parenting advice, he’d stick with Mother Taylor. She'd raised both Justin and Molly,  and they'd both turned out well in spite of that asshole Craig. Both were bright, successful and most importantly, happy.

“We’ll just say that they were both annoying and leave it there,” Brian said, pensively sipping on his Beam.

“I’m still trying to figure out why they thought any of it was their business,” Justin sighed, rubbing his hand over his stomach; he’d been doing that a lot lately. “How the fuck are we still dealing with this shit all these years later?”

“I have no fucking idea,” Brian sighed, his mind going back the picture and the look Michael gave Justin. “But if they start trying to interfere, I’m not putting up with their shit; and neither should you.

“Please,” Justin snorted, getting up off the couch. “I’ve never put up with Michael’s shit. Ignored it? Yes, as I have far better things to do with my time than feed Michael’s inner drama queen. But simply lie down and take it up the ass to keep the peace? Absolutely not; like I’d want his dick anywhere near me.”

“Tell me how you really feel, Sunshine,” Brian smirked as Justin came over, leaned down and pressed a lingering kiss on his lips.

“I’m going to start dinner,” he said as he pulled away. “Any requests?”

“Whatever you want,” Brian said, not really caring what they ate; and then he paused, and added. “Just leave the weird shit off of mine.”

“You have no sense of adventure,” Justin mock complained, his eyes sparkling with humor as he likely recalled some of the weird food combinations he’d eaten over the past few weeks.

“Not what you said last night,” Brian teased, leaning up to steal another kiss.

“Perv,” Justin accused, smiling against his mouth.

“You love it,” Brian said as he pulled away with a soft smile.

“I love you,” Justin corrected with an equally soft smile, and then turned on his heel, saying as he walked out of the room. “The rest I merely tolerate.”

Brian stared at the, now, empty space where Justin had just been standing for a several long moments, his heart warmed by his husband’s words. And then he exhaled explosively and turned back to the computer. He clicked the back arrow, and studied the first picture again, vowing to keep an eye on Michael.

Nothing, but nothing was going to ruin this time for Justin.

Even if that meant kicking his best friend to the curb.