Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

“When one door closes another door opens, but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” Alexander Graham Bell.

 

“Justin Taylor, do you know what time it is? I am about to lose what little religion I have left. Bree’ahna K. Johnston doesn’t do early mornings. You better be in a ditch somewhere because that is the only way I will understand and or forgive you for blowing up my phone at the crack of dawn. Where are you and are you okay?”

 

“Yes, no…I mean, I think so. Bree, I’m so sorry but listen, I’m downstairs in your lobby. Two days ago they scrapped the Rage movie project and let everybody go. I’ve been up all night and I was hoping…”

 

“Holy crap, no freakin’ way! Taylor, get up here! Give me a sec, I’m buzzing you into the entrance now and my door is open so just come on in.”

 

Justin ran up the two flights of stairs, knocked once and entered the apartment. He hovered in the doorway of the color-splashed living room. “Bree, I’m here. Are you decent?”

 

“Of course not. Clothing is overrated and should always be optional.” The teen wore a pair of tight Ninja Turtles boy shorts and a tank top big enough for a toddler.

 

“You are definitely Brian’s kid. When he’s at home in the loft, he doesn’t believe in an excess of clothing either.”

 

“Taylor, sit down and focus. Did those meatheads really tank your movie?”

 

“He, who shall not be named, called the entire team in for a meeting forty-eight hours ago in order to distribute pink slips? Brett announced that Rage: The Movie was in the toilet and that he was off to work on another project. And get this, he’s not really giving up on Rage because it may still happen one-day …blah, blah, blah…but that still means we peons are left holding the bag.

 

Bree, you can’t imagine how I much I wanted to make this project happen. And now, just like that, it’s over. All this time I’ve been here… missing my friends, my family, leaving Brian just when he was beginning to reach out to me, not to mention the days when I had to push through the physical pain in my hand to meet deadlines…was almost worth the sacrifice because I thought I was accomplishing something important and really monumental. I really wanted to make Brian see me as an equal so that he would be proud of me.

 

Me, Justin Taylor, former busboy of Liberty Diner, was mingling and mixing it up with the movers and shakers of Hollywood. I was earning real money as the assistant art director for a groundbreaking Hollywood film! How can I just go back home with my tail tucked between my legs like a failure?”

 

“Papa J, you are wearing a hole into my fake fur bear rug and scaring Felion with all that pacing back and forth. So have a seat, please.

 

Now you listen to me Taylor, you didn’t fail. You’re a nineteen, my bad, twenty-year-old kid who collaborated with your partner’s best friend in order to produce and publish a comic book in your living room. That comic book was good enough to get the attention of those A-list clowns in this town and…stay with me…it was given the green light to make a movie! Are you serious?”

 

Bree scooped up her big red tabby who was weaving its way in and out between their legs and plopped the cat in Justin’s lap.

 

“The Hollywood machine failed you. And, if you ask me, that Brett guy just sucks because he could have fought a little harder to make things happen or maybe try to drum up some money from elsewhere. He was always bragging about having so much clout out here so I can’t see why he couldn’t have hooked you up with some of his producer friends who are working on other projects. If he cared about you, he would have even offered to take you along as his assistant so that you would still have a job. What a jerk!

 

Papa J, I am so sorry you had to learn the hard way that the members of the Hollywood crowd are like crabs in a barrel. It’s every man for himself out here.”

 

“I hear you, Bree and I know you’re absolutely correct. If Brian were here, he would tell me to stop acting like a whiny little twat, man up, and move on. I guess the first thing I should do is ask Mr. Palmer to give me a ride out to the studio so I can pack up my supplies and sketches before someone trashes them. Bree, I have an idea, do you have any plans this week?”

 

 “No, not really. The community center where I work is closed for two weeks. I’d be happy to hang out with you.”

 

“Cool! I want you to come back home with me tonight. While I’m at the studio, you might want to pack enough stuff for a few days to bring with you. Oh, and be sure to leave a note for your roomie to remember to water your plants and take care of Felion. Then, call me when you’re ready so I can pick you up.”

 

“Okayyyyyy. But, are you sure Brett won’t mind if the help is hanging out at his crib all week?”

 

“My bad, Bree. I thought you understood that I want you to come back home with me to Pittsburgh. Don’t worry about any expenses because everything is on me, of course. I forgot to mention that Brett was kind enough to give me a few days before I had to vacate his premises. Now, that we are finally on the same page, just nod your head and say yes.”

 

“Okay yes, and I want the window seat. What time is our flight, Papa J?”

 

“Give me a few minutes, I’m making our reservations now. Will you please print out our confirmations while I give my best friend Daphne a call? We may need her help.”

 

“Daph, hey it’s me. I know it’s kind of early for a wakeup call but this is really important.”

 

“Jus, do you realize what time it is not? The sun’s not up yet and neither am I.

What’s going on, are you hurt or in trouble? Please tell me you aren’t locked up and need bail money. I must be psychic! Last night I was just saying that I haven’t heard from you in days and I was thinking you might have put your best bud down. How’s it going out there in La La Land? Did you call to tell me how many hot guys you banged this week?”

 

“Daph breathe, and if you aren’t still in bed, you may need to be sitting down for what I have to tell you. I’m putting you on speaker because I have a very special person with me that I’d like for you to meet. Bree, allow me to introduce you to my best friend, Daphne Chanders.”

 

 “Good morning, Daphne and I’m pleased to meet you. I have heard so much about you from Taylor that I feel as if I already know you.”

 

“Now Daph, hold on to your hat and say hello to Brian’s daughter, Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston.”

 

“OMIGOD, are you shitting me, Justin?! No. Freakin’. Way!”

 

“Papa J, I think your BFF just shattered all the glassware in your cabinet.”

 

“Daph, I shit you not! Listen, don’t hate me for not filling you sooner in and I can’t give you all the 411 right now. It would take at least a couple hours to give you the nitty gritty and there is too much we need to get done before our flight this afternoon. Bree and I arrive at 11 tonight so, are you free to pick us up and bring us back to your place to crash and get you caught up?”

 

“Justin Cole Taylor, you are my brother from another mother, but if this is a prank I will hunt you down like a rabid dog and tear you from limb to limb.”

 

“Daph, check your messages, I just text you a picture. Yeah Bree, you better put your earbuds in.”

 

“OMIGOD, OMIGOD, OMIGOD… Where did this girl come from? Did she spring from Brian’s forehead fully grown like the goddess Athena?”

 

“Daph, you are such a dork! We’ll see you tonight. Later.”

 

Bree and I made it to our flight with time to spare thanks to Mr. Palmer. On the way to the airport, he did his best to boost my spirits by being encouraging and supportive.

 

“Justin, it’s a shame things didn’t work out but I believe that life is too short to hang on to bitterness, regrets, and what ifs. Don’t think of what happened as a rejection. Maybe it’s a re-direction to something twice as good. So stay positive, make the right choices, and remember that you’re still very young and have your whole life ahead of you to become a success. You are a smart, talented, and creative young man with a good head on your shoulders. There’s no way that you won’t achieve your goals, just give yourself time.”

 

“Thank you, Mr. Palmer and I hope you know that I plan to stay in touch. The next time I’m in Tinsel Town, I’ll be sure to look you up.”

 

“You do that, young man. I hope you and your buddy Miss Bree, have a nice stay. You guys take care.”

 

Bree and I boarded the plane, located our seats, and shoved our backpacks into the compartments overhead.

 

“Bree, don’t bite my head off but I have to ask. Did you let your parents know you were going out of town?”

 

Bree flicked Justin’s bangs over his eyes. “Yes, mother. I dropped in on them while you were at the studio. I told them everything that has been going on over the past week: the test results, our dinner party, and that I was going to hang out with you next week in Pittsburg. My parents weren’t thrilled but I promised to be responsible and told them I will stay in touch. My dad wants us…including Brian… to come to the house for dinner the next time he’s in town.” 

 

“Wow, that’s so awesome! And I’m feeling so relieved because the last thing I need is to be arrested for taking a minor across state lines. Orange is the new blue and all that but, the color does nothing for my complexion.”

 

“You’re a riot, Taylor. Well, we have a long ride ahead of us. Why don’t you tell me about all members of the Pittsburgh Liberty Avenue family I seem to have inherited? You’ve got me curious because, from some of the stuff you mentioned, it seems that some of them are larger than life and I’d like to be prepared. Are you up to it?”

 

“If anything will help me take my mind off the way things have gone downhill over the past twelve hours Bree, giving you the lowdown on the gang will. Let’s start with your dad’s surrogate mom, Debbie Novotny.

 

DAPHNE’S PLACE

“Justin, please grab another beer for me. I’m still reeling from your story because it’s as unbelievable as a Lifetime movie. So what’s your next step? Is there a plan B percolating in your blond brain?”

 

“At this point in time, I don’t have a clue, Daph.”

 

“We’ll work on it together. Moving right along, then. So Bree, do you think it has really sunk into Brian’s head that you’re his daughter? And are you guys telling me the truth that he hasn’t queened out at all?”

 

“Well, I don’t know my father well enough to say one way or another, but Justin says no one can make Brian Kinney do anything that he doesn’t want to do.  He said he needed proof and he paid megabucks to get it. Looks like Brian has decided to just go with the flow, for now, Daphne.”

 

“Justin, I take it no one else in our little family circus has the slightest idea that Bree exists or that the two of you are here in the Pitts?”

 

“Other than Cynthia, I don’t think so, Daph. Compared to Brian, the Sphinx is a chatterbox. He’s not one to volunteer information.”

 

“Well, all I can say is, unless you guys plan to keep Bree locked away somewhere, the cat will be out of the bag as soon as anyone who knows Brian sees her face. I can’t wait! 

 

But in the meantime, welcome to the dysfunctional family, Bree. And of course, you can crash here at my place because while I’m sure Brian will be thrilled to see you, it’s a given that he will be a teeny tiny bit pissed. How will he be able to ravish Justin for the next 12 hours if you are sitting out there in the living room with a ringside seat? Trust me, the loft is no place for you because these two can’t keep their hands or any other part of their bodies off of each other.

 

“Daphne, please…” Justin’s face flushed a rosy shade of pink.

 

“Jus, you know it true. But I’ll be good and cut you some slack, for now. I know you’re dying to throw yourself into your lover’s arms so feel free to take my car and go surprise, Brian. Whenever you and the Stud decide to come up for air you can give us a call or just come on over so that you guys can treat us to breakfast. Bree and I will be fine tonight so go, get out of here.”

 

“Thanks, Daph. You’re the best. Bree, you okay with this? I‘m not dumping you or anything but, Brian wasn’t exactly expecting us so I should give him a heads up. I may have to clean house first or talk him down from a ledge. With Brian, you just never know for certain.”

 

“I know what you’re saying, Papa J. My Daddy B hasn’t figured out how to A: explain my presence or B: he could have company and C: the games they might be playing could steal my innocence and traumatize me for life. Yeah, right. See you later.”

 

I let myself into the loft with my set of keys. The spacious living area was still tastefully immaculate and I didn’t expect it to be otherwise. I stood before the wall of windows where I have spent hundreds of hours drawing, sketching, or painting. I almost felt as if the last five months of my life spent living on the west coast happened to someone else. I was back in the Pitts, back home where…I belong?

 

Will Brian be okay with the way I have shown up here in the Pitts unannounced with his brand new almost grown daughter in tow? Is he really ready, willing, and able to explain the presence of a teenaged daughter he became aware of barely two weeks ago? It’s a done deal because she’s here in the flesh. Wallowing in negativity is pointless so no need to borrow trouble. We’ll be okay and everything will work itself out.

 

I was still standing at the window deep in my thoughts when I heard the groaning and grinding gears of the aged elevator. It halted here on the fourth floor and I turned when the door to the loft slid open and Brian appeared at last on the threshold. He was alone, thank God. I was keyed up for a confrontation and really didn’t want to have to deal with booting out a trick.

 

“Justin, what in the world are you doing here? Did I miss a message from you because I don’t believe we were supposed to meet up this week? What happened? Are you in some sort of trouble? Is there something wrong? Don’t get your panties in a bunch but, you shouldn’t be here tonight so what are you doing here in the loft?”

 

“I was waiting for you, Stud.”

 

Justin’s only thought was to get closer to the man he loved and desired more than life itself. His lips sought Brian's as the older man removed all their garments and they fell backward on the bed. Justin draped his entire length over Brian's long lean body as they writhed together on the comfortable surface and clung to each other. Brian flipped Justin onto his back and commenced kissing his way down the youth’s eager body.

 

Justin squirmed and moaned with anticipation. Brian please, no more talking and no more teasing. I need for you to take me now.”

 

“As you wish, Sunshine.”

 TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

I appreciate all of you for reading, commenting, and leaving me reviews. Thanks a bunch.