Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow WE WILL DIET!”  Brian A. Kinney.

Monday morning at Kinnetik

Brian had every intention of contacting the DNA Testing Center when he walked into his office but he didn’t want to appear to desperately eager for the verdict. Besides, in LA it was only five in the morning. Common sense dictated that there would be no one there at the lab to respond at that time. He left a voicemail message to have his test results faxed over when the office opened for business. 

 

When Brian’s personal fax machine whirred to life and began to churn out page after page of documents, he thought he was prepared for the inevitable. However, it was still a shock to see the verdict in black and white print.

 

CONCLUSION:

 

Brian A. Kinney

 

IS NOT EXCLUDED as the biological father of

 

Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston             

 

99.99%

 

‘This can’t be happening to me. Jesus! I need a drink. Correction, I need an entire bottle’s worth of drinks. No, I need to call Justin and get through the ‘told you so, Bri’, grab the bull by the horns, and make plans to claim my daughter because it is what it is.’

 

He stuck his head out of the office door to get the attention of his assistant and right-hand woman. “Cynthia, a word please.”

 

“Good morning, Brian. You have that meeting with those idiots at nine. What can I do for you?”

 

“I am going to need your help and undivided attention for the next few minutes. First, I need for you to make me a reservation for three tonight at DELPHINE’s Restaurant on Hollywood Blvd. Have them decorate the table with some exotic flowers like tiger lilies or you can just decide what would look appropriate.

 

Oh, I almost forgot. I need for you to pick up a pair of black and red drool-worthy pumps in a size 8 medium width for my kid. Make certain to have the box gift wrapped with the store’s flashiest signature paper. I know how much you hate shopping for shoes so grit your teeth and get something nice for yourself as well.”

 

Brian gave his speechless assistant a Platinum Visa and insisted that she not take all day.

 

“Wait a minute, you are joking, right? You want me to buy a pair of designer shoes for Gus? Brian, it is Monday morning and way too early for your shenanigans.”

 

Brian held out the fax over to the stunned young woman, smirked before rolling his lips into his mouth, and waited as she quickly scanned the document. 

 

“Oh…my…god! Brian Kinney, do you know what this means? YOU ARE THE FATHER!”

 

#####################################################

 

DELPHINE’S on Hollywood Boulevard

A bubbly hostess escorted Justin and Bree to their table in a semi-private seating area and promised to send over their server immediately.

 

Justin offered Bree’ahna his arm as he whispered in her ear, “Bree, I had my doubts but I stand corrected. You do clean up good. I almost didn’t almost recognize you when I arrived to pick you up for dinner. Owwww! You’re pinching my arm. I’m a delicate little flower and I bruise really easy.”

 

 “Oh, did that hurt? You WASPs are all the same. You can dish it out but you can’t take it. I’ll have you know, I did a double-take when I let you in tonight. When you told me where we were going for dinner I figured that if you showed up in a pair of cargos and a tee I would just suck it up and deal. But all jokes aside, you look hot, Taylor. It pains me but I must admit you were born to wear that tux.”

 

“Why am I not surprised to see that you two don’t know act in polite company? Young people have no home training these days and you can’t take them anywhere nice.”

 

“Brian, what the…I didn’t know you were in town. Justin, stop laughing at me, you snake! I thought we were cool. Why didn’t you tell me he would be here?” Bree gasped.

 

“Brian and I wanted it to be a surprise. So, SURPRISE! But I’m starved so, can we all sit down and decide what we want to order? I want steak, what do you have a taste for, Bree?”

 

“You already know, Taylor. The lobster with garlic butter is calling my name. Brian, Justin mentioned that you don’t need food like the rest of us mere mortals. But can you deviate from the norm tonight and order something decadent and yummy? Pretty please?”

 

“How can I say no to such a lovely lady such as yourself, Princess Bree’ahna? I suppose I can make an exception to the rules just this once. Give me a moment, I’m still trying to choose something from this calorie saturated, lard-laden, menu of death that won’t put me in a carbohydrate coma.”

 

After the meal was over, Brian stood up and asked Bree and Justin to do the same.

 

Brian held out his arms and embraced the startled girl. “Earlier this afternoon I received some interesting information. Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston, I want you to know that I’m pleased to meet you at last and I am proud to be your father. You are my first born daughter and the very best birthday present I have ever had.”

 

Over Brian’s shoulder, Bree mouthed to Justin: ‘He smells sooooo good!’

 

“Bree, we can’t change the past but maybe we can put our heads together and figure out a way to go from here. Who knows? Your mom may have been right because I remember the sixteen-year-old kid I use to be.  I was angry, confused, and trying to find myself and where I belonged in this crazy world. During that time of my life, I was not daddy material. Would that mindset have changed when I grew up and matured? I would like to think so. 

 

The past is over and can’t be undone. Let’s give ourselves a chance to build a relationship because we want to. Not just because half of your chromosomes are mine and we have a document to verify that fact. What do you say?”

 

“I am more than happy to have the opportunity to get to know you, Brian. Thank you for accepting me into your life, and I will try to always make you proud of me.”

 

Brian reached out to include Justin in the group hug. “Are you okay, Sunshine? It looks like your allergies are acting up.”

 

“Only a little, Bri. I’m so happy for the two of you. Can we have dessert now?”

 

 The chef wheeled out a cart with a cake decorated with pink and black rosettes. The inscription read: IT’S A GIRL!

 

Justin pulled out a huge gift bag from under the cart. “Bree, this is for you from Brian and me.”

 

“Get out of here. You guys got presents for Moi?! But I don’t have anything for you either of you. You do know that our birthday was a couple months ago right, Brian?” Bree smirked and blew the older man a kiss. “I lose my mind when I see a gift bag. What did you guys get me? Duh! Maybe I should just open it.”

 

Bree laughed out loud at the overstuffed plush orange cat nestled down in the brightly colored sack. “Omigod! I love him. He can sit on the foot of my bed and keep me company when Felion…that stuck up fleabag of mine…refuses to give me the time of day.”

 

Bree gave Justin a fist bump when she pulled out a five hundred dollar gift card and waved it in the air. “I hope you know this is already burning a hole in my hot little hand. Can anybody spell shopping spree?”

 

The happy teen dug down into the bag again and pulled out a wrapped box. She shook it a few times and then began to meticulously remove the embossed paper and opened the lid.

 

“Yay! Shoes, I knew it.” Bree did a double-take and her mouth almost hit the floor. “Omigod, these aren’t just shoes! These are Christian Louboutin Red Bottoms! I have been wanting a pair like this my entire life!”

 

She squealed and kissed Brian then Justin on both cheeks. “Thank you, thank you, and thank you sooooo much! Princess Leilani is going to be pea green with envy when she sees these. Call me tacky but I am going to put them on right now.”

 

Bree preened as admired her exclusive foot ware. “I look like a million bucks and now, I can die.” She exclaimed dramatically.

 

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth. “I’m glad you like them. But, I think you have one more gift in your bag, Bree’ahna.”

 

“Wait! There’s more? You guys are too much!” Bree reached into the festive bag one last time and drew out an ornate sterling silver 8 X 10 framed document.

 

“This is the results of our DNA testing. I didn’t think you would get this so quickly, Brian. It says 99.99%, I guess that means I must really belong to you. You’re free to exhale, rest easy, and let go of all the doubt about being scammed.”

 

“Bree’ahna, I have two eyes and my vision is 20/20. Whatever doubts I had about your parentage where negligible. The purpose of the DNA testing was a necessary formality to protect your rights as well as my own.”

 

Bree’ahna tucked the plaque back into her sack. “Thank you, and I want you to know that out of all the presents you and Taylor have given me this evening, this piece of paper is worth more than anything money can buy. I do have an important question. What should I call you? I’d sound really crazy if I continue to address you as Mr. Kinney.

 

According to both my Grandmas, kids who call grownups by their first name have no manners unless they stick a ‘Miss’ or a ‘Mister’ in front of it. This code doesn’t apply if the adults are your parents. That is why it drives Lani and Tony up the wall and down the block when I do it because they know I’m going out of my way to deliberately disrespect them.

 

But you’re my father so I can’t call you Mr. Brian. That would be so weird and kind of ridiculous. You and I haven’t been around each other long enough to butt heads so I don’t want to start out by calling you ‘Brian.’ Do you feel me?’”

 

“Bree, it is very obvious to see that you have given this topic a lot of thought and consideration. The title of Mr. Kinney belonged to my father, and suffice it to say, he is no longer with us. I don’t have a problem being addressed by my first name because I am often called worse. Allow me to ask when you are speaking to him, what name do you use for the father who raised you?”

 

Bree emitted a very unladylike snort and rolled her eyes. “Seriously? For the last few years, I’ve been calling him Dad, of course. I used to call him Daddy, Pops, or Papa. It was my choice.”

 

“Then just choose, Bree. What do you want to call me? I’m going to leave it up to you.”

 

 “Okay. Because you guys are too cool for school until further notice I dub thee, Daddy B and your partner in crime is Papa J. But, between you and me, I’m freaking out a little because he’s like five minutes older than me.”

 

“Um, excuse me, Bree. There is a big difference between sixteen and almost twenty-one. BIG!”

 

 “Whatever, Papa J. You don’t look old enough to shave.”

 

The sassy miss grinned and ruffled Justin’s long hair. “Daddy B, are you sure he’s legal? If I were you, I’d card him!”

 

 “Papa J and Daddy B? I like it! Bri, what do you think of your new moniker?”

 

“Well Sunshine, you’re not going to believe this but, I’ve always had a burning desire to be named after a pimp. And people say dreams and wishes don’t come true. Thanks a bunch, Bree’ahna.

 

Okay, kiddies. It’s been fun but this is a school night and all of us have work in the morning. We need to wrap this up because this little soirée is over. That chunk of pink and black iced death you two forced down my gullet is going to cost me an extra thirty minutes on the treadmill tomorrow. Sunshine, please have Mr. Palmer bring the car around. Bree, let’s gather up all your swag so we can blow this Popsicle stand.”

 

When the town car arrived at Bree’s place the two men walked her to the front door.

 

“Papa J, when Daddy B lets you come up for air, call me tomorrow.” She threw her arms around Brian’s waist and squeezed him tightly. “I would invite you guys in but the place looks like a pigsty. See you in two weeks Daddy B, and thank you so much for tonight.”

 

Brian kissed the girl on the forehead and stared into the sparkling gray-green eyes that were the same shape as his own. “The pleasure was all mine, Bree’ahna. See you in a couple weeks.”

 

The guys made out in the rear seat of the town car all the way back to Justin’s cottage. In between scorching kisses, Justin praised Brian for giving Bree such a fun-filled evening.

 

“My place is a bit of a mess as well Daddy B. But I want you to take me to bed and make me forget that you have to be on a plane home in less than six hours.”

 

 

“No problem Papa J, your wish is my command.”

 

T B C

Chapter End Notes:

I gave Bree and Brian the same D.O.B. because I have always been fascinated when I hear about people having relatives share birthdays. My family is huge, but what are the odds that my daughter, my dad, and I were born on the same Day in November?  My brother’s two kids were born on Christmas Day exactly a year apart.

 

Hmmm, I wonder, could those stats get us a shot at a Guinness world record?

 

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any and all comments and or reviews.