Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chicken soup, love, and lemon bars are good for the soul.

“Hey, Sunshine, how are you feeling today? You have the honor of being my last customer of the day. I have the order you called in earlier all packed up and ready to go. A turkey breast on whole wheat and hold the mayo for Princess Kinney and a cheeseburger with a double chocolate shake for my favorite twink.”

 

“Thanks and may I offer you a ride home, Deb? I know how you feel about Brian’s ‘Vette but don’t worry, I have the jeep today.”

 

“When I was a girl, guys called those death traps ‘chick magnets.’ But when Brian bought one for himself, I named it the ‘dick mobile.’ Haha, I crack me up, sometimes. Thank you for being so thoughtful. It has been a really long day and I’m not able to do these double shifts like I use to. I’m going to add a chicken salad to your order for his Royal Highness Kinney. And I want you to make certain he eats every single bite. He is way too thin and needs to try to get more protein and calories from off of a plate.”

 

Justin walked Deb out to the jeep parked at the curb and held the door open for her to climb inside.

 

“Well, look at what the cat dragged in. Why are you wearing that baggy hoodie and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a baseball cap on your head in all the years I’ve known you. Did they run out of Armani and Prada? You’ve got some explaining to do, mister. You missed my Sunday Dinner for the past several weeks in a row and I want to know why.

 

“Uh Deb, I’ll be right back. I want to grab a couple slices of pie for later.”

 

“No problem honey, take your time. By the way, the lemon bars were great today so tell Kiki I said to give you half a dozen on the house.” Debbie turned her attention to the man sitting quietly in the back seat beside her and didn’t miss a beat. “Now you listen to me because I have several bones to pick with you, Stud.

 

Poor Ted is in my very own little private dog house because he has been lying his head off and trying to cover for you because he’s afraid of losing his job. Em is about to have a nervous breakdown because you have been MIA from Babylon so long that the tricks are asking him when did the great god Kinney decide to retire? Michael says you have banned from Kinnetik and the loft and he is so worried he can’t think straight. Sunshine looks like someone kicked his puppy every time your name is mentioned.

 

Why have you been holing yourself up in the loft and avoiding your family and friends? I smell a rat, Kiddo. You’re getting too old to be playing hide and go seek and all these other shenanigans you overindulge in when you don’t want to be bothered with the great unwashed. You should really slow your roll and take better care of yourself because you’re looking as scrawny as …”

 

“Deb, you’re right. I haven’t been well for a while now.” Brian pulled the baseball cap off his head.

 

“Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! What the hell happened to your gorgeous hair? You’re as bald as an egg. Did your barber mess up or give you a bad dye job?”

 

“Well Ma, let me tell you. You see, most of it fell out last weekend so I had Sunshine shave off the last of it a few days ago. Look, Deb, I haven’t been hiding, or jet setting to the tropics, or taking business trips out of town. I was and am still kind of sick. Six weeks ago my doctor told me I developed Testicular cancer. I had surgery to remove the diseased cells and I started chemo a week later.

 

Before you go and get all moist on me, I’m pretty certain I’m going to be okay. The oncology team assured me that they caught it early and that was a plus for me. I’ve been trying to make it through the side effects and it’ been hard Ma.”

 

“Debbie gasped and her eyes filled with tears. “Oh my god, no. Tell me you’re just kidding and making a really tasteless joke about a serious condition. Tell me you’re just being Brian Kinney who doesn’t know what a filter is and makes it a habit to let anything come flying out of his mouth for shock value.

 

“Sorry, Ma because when I wasn’t freezing cold from the chills, I was burning up from the fevers. As for tricking and other shenanigans, I don’t have the strength or the inclination and probably won’t for the unforeseeable future. The little I’ve been able to eat comes back up before it reaches my stomach. Sometimes I couldn’t even taste what I was eating because of the mouth sores and blisters.

 

Hopefully the chemo I’ve been subjected to for the last four weeks should have me as right as rain, eventually. I got had a follow-up appointment today and my doctor says my blood work looks good and there doesn’t appear to be any complications.  He’s given me an all clear and is hopeful that it’s only a matter of time before I’m back to normal.

 

Like I told Mikey last night, I waited to tell you because I wanted the hard part to be over before I dumped any more bad news in your lap.

 

My last treatment was two days ago and I swore him to secrecy because it was my responsibility to tell you. I didn’t want anyone to know because I wanted to deal with this all by myself but the truth will out. Don’t be angry because you feel like I was being an ass about my condition. I know you’ve always been there for me Ma but…”

 

Debbie sat there for once in her life at a complete loss for words. First, her makeshift family is rocked to the core when Vic passed. Her beloved baby brother was taken way too soon. Now life has come at them sideways and is attempting to do the same to the boy, no the man she helped to raise. Not on her bloody watch.

 

“Ma, just say or do your worst and get it all off your chest. I’m a big boy and I can take it…”

 

“Shut your trap and listen to me for once in your life, Brian Kinney. All I have to say right now is I know how hard this has been and still is for you but you will beat this thing. Failure is not an option because you will have to answer to me and I will make you very sorry if you make a liar out of me. Do you understand me, Mister?”

 

Debbie carefully and gently wrapped her arms around the frail man and held him for a long while.

 

“You will continue to do whatever those doctors and Sunshine tell you to because I want you to be around for a long time. We will not lose you too. I may not always show it but, you know that I love you as much as I love my very own flesh and blood. Now that Vic is gone, you are the head of the family. Whether you believe it or not, we all love and need you in our lives in order to keep us as dysfunctional as we already are. Do you understand what I’m saying to you, Kiddo?”

 

Debbie fumbled through her enormous tote bag for a couple of napkins and proceeded to wipe the lipstick from Brian’s pale cheek.

 

“Thanks, Ma, and yes, I hear you.”

 

“Good. Now tell me what I can do to help because if you say you’re fine I won’t be held responsible for what happens next. So help me, God.

 

Oh Sunshine, I didn’t see you standing there and don’t think for one minute that I won’t deal with you two when things get back to normal. Give me a call later after you put this one to bed…alone…and let me know what would be a good time for me to come by tomorrow to check on your “non-partner” and help out a little around the loft.

 

I’ll send over a pot of my chicken soup my Nona taught me how to make when I was a young girl. She used to swear that soup could cure cancer so let’s put it to the test. Honey, get in the car and take this man home so that he can rest. If he gives you any grief, tie him to the bed and call me for backup.”

 

“Sure thing, Deb. Oh and when you get home, please give my mom a call. It’s okay, she accidentally found out about Brian’s issue too and can definitely give you more details. By the way, if Brian feels up to it on the weekend, we will drop in for dinner this Sunday and use that opportunity to get the rest of the family up to speed on what’s been happening.

 

DINNER AT DEBBIE’S

Emmett was already teary-eyed when Brian and Justin arrived because Bree, Daphne, and Jennifer had already filled him in. He had a major queen out but pulled himself together in record time. He smiled through the tears for a few seconds, stood up slowly, and walked over to pull Brian close.

 

He whispered into Brian’s ear. “You don’t have to say anything because I already know. Are you going to be okay, Sweetie?”

 

“Honeycutt, have I taught you nothing? Not even cancer can keep a fag as fabulous as myself down. I’m not 100% yet but, I’ll get there. You’re wrinkling the Prada so back off. Are the Munchers here yet?”

 

“Don’t call me Honeycutt. You look like crap but I’m glad to see that you’re still you. When you get back to your fighting weight, I’m going to wipe up Liberty Avenue with you for scaring me out of ten years growth.”

 

Michael kissed Brian and sat down beside his friend. “Brian, I heard your voice out here and thought it was my imagination. I’m so happy you made it to dinner this evening. How are you doing today, Big Guy? Can I get you a blanket or do you need to put your feet up?”

 

Brian stared at Michael for several seconds. “Hey Mikey, I’m good for now. But how is your nose? That raccoon smoky eye thing you got going on is a nice touch. How did that happen? You never did give me the details.”

 

“You must have forgotten that I told you it was an accident. No big deal. Anyway, I just got off the phone with Lindsay. She said it slipped her mind but she and Mel had a previous engagement with friends today. Come to think of it, they didn’t show at dinner last week either. I think Ma needs to give them an attitude adjustment. Lindsay mentioned something about Brian being unavailable to take Gus to park and not making time in his busy schedule to meet them for lunch. She has been really acting kind of clingy lately.”

 

Several people rolled their eyes in disbelief at Michael’s words. However, everyone at the table knew exactly what or rather who had Lindsay all stirred up.

 

Bree reported to Brian and Justin that Lind’s has dropped by the loft a couple of times during the month. However, she or Daphne turned the woman away because Brian was ill, napping, or out taking his daily treatments.

 

For instance, Lindsay showed up at loft early one morning, however, and Bree politely turned her away she took offense. As the mother of who used to be Brian’s only child, in Lindsay’s mind there was no reason she should not have unrestricted access to Brian. Unlike Michael, she wasn’t on his persona non grata list and would not tolerate being blocked by that overzealous little upstart who had wormed her way into Brian’s life.

 

Lindsay went into full-blown WASP mode when Bree offered to babysit Gus in order for Lindsay and Mel to have some time for themselves. Bree told the blonde that would be available the entire weekend and happy to spend time with her little brother.

 

‘Sweetie, while I appreciate the offer, I must let you know that Gus doesn’t do well with strangers.’

 

‘He knows Justin and Daphne and they’ll both be here.’

 

‘I see. However, he doesn’t know you and I don’t want him to be stressed and feel abandoned by both his mother and father. Surely, you understand that. Don’t you, Dear?’

 

“So the girls and my Sonny Boy ditched the family to attend a lesbian retreat with Dusty and her hoard of crumb snatchers.  I’d been dreading her reaction…tears, guilt, and drama…and not to mention the gloating and sarcasm from Smelly Melly. Looks like I was given a reprieve. Maybe someone up there does like me.

 

Maybe today wasn’t the best time for spilling my guts to Linds. I would appreciate it if all of you allow me ‘fess up at a time of my own choosing.

 

I do need to see my kid. I’ll call Lindsay this evening and let her know that I won’t be able to keep Gus but Emmett can be his manny the entire weekend. I’ll pay for their flight, hotel, and spa time so that Mel can be man-scaped. As for you Aunty Em, I’ll pay you double to watch Gus at their place as well as here at the loft.”

 

“And I accept your proposition, Mr. Kinney. A boy needs to know that his father wants to hang out with him. And sleepovers are soooo much fun. Yay!”

 

Brian noticed that Justin seemed to be slightly pissed off about the arrangements. The blond claimed that he needed some air and asked Brian to accompany him out to the backyard.

 

“Bri, I know it’s not my business but why are you rewarding Lindsay and Melanie’s nasty behavior with an all-expense paid weekend? We all know Lindsay is being petty and passive-aggressive because Bree is in the picture. This is like a slap in the face because she is being mean and spiteful to all of us. Daphne and I have taken care of Gus ever since he was a young baby. I resent her for acting as if we would allow anything to happen to Gus.

 

“Grasshopper, you must learn to choose your battles. You don’t get mad, you get even. If this is the only way I can get to spend time with my Sonny Boy, I will do what I must. It’s called beating them at their own game because nobody loses.

 

And, at the end of the day, everyone is happy because they have gotten what they want. That is what counts. I don’t feel like bargaining, bickering, or starring in the latest episode of Wrath of the Munchers. It’s too exhausting.

 

Now smile like the good little country club Wasp you were raised to be and let’s go back inside. I think I’m actually hungry for a change.”

 

Later that evening…

Justin, Bree, and Jennifer sent Debbie out to rest while they cleaned up the kitchen. All of a sudden, Justin noticed Brian’s raised voice had become increasingly strident. The other occupants in the room glanced in his direction.

 

“No Deb. I want you to stay out of it and that is final. I don’t care what you think because I know what I think. They only love my money, not me. You know that.”

 

“Calm down, Kiddo and don’t get your panties in a twist. They are your family and deserve to know what is happening in your life.”

 

“No. that is where you are so far beyond wrong it’s not funny. The people in this room are my family. I think I need some air.” Brian turned on his heel and stormed out of the house.

 

 “Ma, what just happened? What did you say to Brian to get him so upset?”

 

Michael made a move to follow his friend out of the door but Ben placed an arm over his shoulders to halt him in his tracks.

 

“Are you okay, Bri? You were having a good time tonight and the guys really missed you. Whatever it was she said don’t let it stress you, okay? Deb just doesn’t completely get it but she loves you. You know that, right?”

 

“Yeah, I know. But surely she can’t have forgotten about how it was for me growing up in Castle Kinney. Jack was a bully who hated the sight of me and went out of his way to remind me of that little fact. My only sibling has always been a spiteful petty bitch. And let’s not forget about my judgmental, passive, sanctimonious, sainted mother. Enough said.

 

They both think nothing of telling me I’ll burn in hell because I’m a dirty fag so why should I tell the Claire witch and St. Joan that I’m fighting cancer? Why give them more ammo to use against me? Joan, Claire, and her devil spawn mean nothing to me. Whatever.”

 

“Bri, if you don’t feel up to it, we can just leave. Everyone would understand and just assume you’re doing too much too soon. You can go on out to the car if you want and I’ll run in to thank Deb and tell everyone else good night.”

 

“And you’ll never forgive me for being the reason you miss out on a chunk of that Death by chocolate cake you’ve been salivating over all evening. No Twat, I’m good. I’ll rest up a bit when we get back to the loft. I was thinking that later on tonight we can boot up the computer and order some toys for my Sonny boy to have when he and Em visit next week.”

 

“Sounds like a plan. You’re a good dad, Brian Kinney. Let’s go back in and mingle before Deb and Em decide to serve dessert out here in the backyard.”

TBC

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Feel free to comment and review. Thank you for reading.