Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter is a daughter all of her life.  ~Irish saying

“Your building is interesting in a weird sort of way, Daddy B. Aren’t those plumbing fixtures on the walls? When you bought this place to use for your business was it some kind of men’s locker room?”

 

“Yes and yes, Bree’ahna. Sunshine’s mom is a realtor and when I told her   I was looking for a building with personality to house Kinnetik in, she wasted no time. As soon as she showed me the place, I made arrangements to acquire this old bathhouse. It was just what I wanted so I jumped on it.”

 

 “Hey Brian, good morning. I wasn’t expecting to see you in the office today. Please introduce me to your lovely companion.”

 

“Bree’ahna, this is Cynthia Wright, my right hand and official gatekeeper of Castle Kinney. Cyn, this is my daughter Bree’ahna K. Johnston, and she’ll be in town visiting for the week.”

 

“Hello Cynthia, I have heard some great things about you. It is so nice to meet the real power behind Brian Kinney’s throne. You can call me Bree, if you like. I told my father that I want to be you when I grow up.” Bree smiled and extended her hand to the attractive woman.

 

“Brian, I like this girl already because she is definitely a firecracker and I do believe she will give you a run for your money.” Cynthia took Bree’s hand in hers and gave the slim fingers a gentle squeeze. “Just say the word Kinney, and I will hire her on the spot.”

.

“I’m very pleased to make your acquaintance, Bree’ahna. You look very professional and I love the shoes. Red Bottoms are one of my favorite brands and they make such a strong statement.” Cynthia nodded her approval of the black pencil skirt and fitted blazer that hugged the teen’s slender curves.

 

“Brian, I hate to bother you with this but, I have one of your Problem Child accounts on hold. I was double checking some of the terms on their account before I smack them over the head with a breach of contract threat. If you prefer to handle them, I’ll be thrilled to transfer the call to your line.”  

 

“Those idiots are more trouble than they are worth, but give me a couple minutes then put those clowns through, Cyn. Bree’ahna, excuse me for ditching you but, this won’t take long.” Brian grumbled as he stalked into his office and booted up his computer.

 

Cynthia returned her attention to the girl who had wandered away a bit to examine an exquisite piece of artwork on the wall. ‘God, she even moves like Brian. Blood will tell.’

 

“Hey Bree, I’m sure Brian will keep that tongue lashing short and sweet but, would you like to accompany me down to the break room for a coffee? We’ll grab one for your dad as well because he can only deal with those nitwits when he is heavily caffeinated. How are you enjoying your stay here in the Pitts?”

 

“I’ve only been here a few days. Brian and Justin have been keeping me pretty busy. We’ve been hanging out with his family and shopping. The culture shock is real because LA and the Pitts are so different and not because they are on different coasts. I’m getting a totally different vibe and it’s like saying apples and oranges are the same because they’re both fruits. Not!"

 

Cynthia pointed out the various departments in the building. “Have you decided where you plan to attend college, Bree? The last couple years of high school fly by in the blink of an eye.” Cynthia removed a canister labeled Mr. Kinney from the freezer section of the refrigerator. “This is Brian’s special blend from Hawaii. You are in for a treat, my girl.”

 

The ladies strolled back to Cynthia’s office with their fragrant beverages.

 

“Bree, Brian is still growling on the phone so I’ll leave his cup on his desk and run to the ladies room to freshen up a bit. Can I get you to do me a teeny tiny favor? If any calls come through just greet them politely and place them on hold by pressing this lighted button. I’ll only be a minute. If you like, you can just transfer the caller by pressing this yellow button. Thanks, Sweetie, I’ll be back in two shakes.”

 

The echo from the tapping of Cynthia’s heels hadn’t faded away before the phone rang. “Good morning and thank you for calling Kinnetik. How may I direct your call?” Bree transferred the call to the queue and took a sip of her latte. ‘Hey, I am liking like this.’

 

Suddenly a familiar whine out in the hallway grated on Bree’s eardrums.

 

“No, he isn’t expecting me and I don’t need an appointment because Brian Kinney has been my best friend for almost twenty years. Young lady, I’ve never seen you before so you must be a temp or a new hire. I know the way so I’ll just wait outside Brian’s office until he ends his call.”

 

Michael’s eyes bulged from the sockets when he spied Bree at Cynthia’s desk. “What in the world are you doing here? Just who do you think you are anyway? You’re just some mouthy girl who is trying to use Brian and doesn’t know her place. I still don’t really believe you’re his daughter because it’s plain to see that you’re… ”

 

“Good morning to you too, Michael Novatny.  And yeah, I believe the word you’re groping for is biracial, mixed, or half and half. Guess what Michael? In case you haven’t noticed, we’re everywhere, just like Gays and Lesbians. And another thing, where exactly is my place supposed to be? Are you trying to throw some shade at me? Why don’t you just come right out and say what you really mean? You won’t because you are a coward who is masquerading as a bully.”

 

Michael loomed over Cynthia’s desk, pointed his index finger at Bree, and hissed shrilly, “You’re asking for it, little girl. Brian is going to send you packing on the first thing smoking when I let him know how you just spoke to me.”

 

Cynthia stormed into her office and grabbed Michael’s arm. “Michael, how dare you? Are you insane? Step away from this child before I call security and have you thrown out of this building!”

 

“Take your claws out of my arm, Cynthia. Don’t you realize that by leaving HER at your desk you risk exposing Kinnetik’s company business so she can rob Brian blind? Obviously, you must not value your position or the trust of your employer very much. Besides, she doesn’t look like a child to me. Am I the only one who hasn’t been fooled by this person?”

 

 “Okay Mikey, you busted me. I’ll ‘fess up and admit that I turned 46 a few weeks ago and I’m happy that I can pass for someone 20 or 30 years younger. You know, Taylor told me that you were delusional but harmless and that’s why I’m going to let this slide. But I suggest you step back and get that finger out of my face if you want to keep it.”

 

Michael snatched his arm out of Cynthia’s grasp and crossed them over his chest. “That’s strike two for you, Missy. Brian isn’t going to appreciate hearing that you just threatened me. You just keep on digging yourself in deeper and deeper until you have enough rope to hang yourself with.” 

 

“Actually Mikey, it sounds more like a promise to me than a threat. I’m looking out for you when I say that you ought to do as Bree’ahna says so that I don’t have to explain to explain to Ma why I stood by and allowed her baby boy to be ripped to shreds.

 

Brian crowded his ‘best friend’ toward the open doorway of the office.

 

Not another word, Michael. I know why you’re here and I don’t care to hear anything you have to say. This is my place of business and yours is on the other side of Liberty Avenue, remember? I’m going to tell you for the last time, Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston is off limits. You have been warned.”

 

“Bri, I’ll see you later when you’re free to talk sensibly.” Michael stomped down the hall and out of the front door.

 

Brian glared at his best friend as the man exited the building. “Cyn, remind me that you are overdue for another raise. Thanks to Michael, you probably make more money than I do. Bree’ahna, I give you permission to just have at him the next time he gets in your face. Sunshine was right, Michael is harmless but he’s not the brightest bulb in the box.

 

“If he knew better, he’d do better so I’m not worried about him, Daddy B. I’m adorable and cute so I know he’ll come around eventually. You love him, therefore, he must have some good points or else you wouldn’t have had him in your life all these years.

 

Cynthia said you would give me a tour of the departments, so lead the way, Mr. Kinney. Oh, I almost forgot to ask what time will we be taking lunch? Taylor will be meeting us because I told him it would be my treat but you guys can leave the tip.”

 

At the loft, a couple days before Bree flies back to LA…

“I never knew I would enjoy Thai food so much, Daddy B. It was absolutely delish!”

 

Brian slid the remainder of the box of noodles onto Bree’s plate.

 

Thanks, I’m about to pop but I know I’ll be hungry again within an hour.

As you guys know, I’m going home on the weekend, but I have been doing some serious thinking for the past few days. I have decided that when I get back to LA, I’ll discuss my plans with my parents and let them know I’ll be relocating here in Pittsburg. Mom and dad knew I was leaving the state to attend college and they won’t be as concerned if they know I’m with you guys. I’m pretty sure that I’ll be applying at Carnegie Mellon because I have a 4.0 GPA and shouldn’t have a problem getting accepted when I graduate

 

Then I’ll give notice on my job, pack up my stuff to put in storage until I’m ready to have it shipped, and help my roommate Miko find a replacement. I’ll be back here in Pittsburgh in exactly a month. I keep telling you guys, I got this.”

 

“I must admit that you do appear to have all your ducks in a row, Bree’ahna. That is commendable on your part because in the world we live in, if you fail to plan then you plan to fail.”

 

Brian didn’t divulge the details of the various plans and changes he put into motion recently. For instance, the call he made to his attorney about adding Bree’ahna as a beneficiary to his estate and the college fund Ted sent him the specs on the other night.

 

“You can say that again, Daddy B. By the way, I have been meaning to ask you how do I go about applying for an internship at Kinnetik? Are there any deadlines, qualifications, or requirements I have to meet for eligibility?

 

You see, I’ve researched several other companies recently that pay their interns a slave’s wage if anything at all. So, if that is your company policy, I’m okay with that. When my ninety days is up I’m confident that if I learn as much as possible during the training period, I’ll be will be offered a permanent entry-level position. I really want to score the job because of my efforts and not just because I’m related to the boss.

 

I’m not a high maintenance chick but I do like nice things.  I’m not a user or a sponge and I have no problem with paying my own way. I have enough money saved to live on for several months but I’m going to need a decent salary sooner than later.

 

I don’t know if she mentioned it to you and Taylor but, Daphne and I agreed to be roomies and that means we will need a bigger place. I know what you’re going to say. You want me to concentrate on my studies and you’re going offer to help me. You’ve already shown me how generous you are, but I don’t want you guys to think I’m a gold digger or a leech.”

 

“Bree, we would never think that about you. I admire your independence and drive. Brian is very proud of you and in his eyes, you can do no wrong. He looks out for his own and there is nothing you can say to change his mind about that.”

 

“Sunshine is correct, Bree’ahna. In fact, I have something I need to share with you. I’m glad this information arrived before you left because I wanted to talk to you about this in person. Open it.” Brian gave the girl an envelope that was addressed to her.

 

“Daddy B, you ordered me a credit card? I’m grateful and thank you but why?”

 

“It is for child support, Bree’ahna.  I was unaware of your existence for sixteen years, but ignorance is no excuse. I know now and I feel like I owe it to you. Funds will be deposited into the account for your use on a monthly basis. If you were still at home with your parents, I would have allowed them to handle the money for you. However, you are not a child and have been taking care of yourself for a while now. You can do what you want with the money but keep in mind that you’re not too young to begin planning for your financial future.

 

Theodore Schmidt aka Ted is my CFO. You met him at Deb’s and he was at the loft the other evening. That means he’s family and a friend. Theodore will always be willing to make himself available in order to advise you on investment options. I suggest you take advantage of his services. If you ever need anything and I can’t be reached or I’m away on business, let him or Cynthia know and they will help you.”

 

“Thank you, Daddy B. I will look into your suggestion for me and make the right decision.”

 

“Um Bree, I was super impressed with your sales pitch and in my opinion, you’d make a decent ad man one day. However, I’m not trying to burst your bubble but do you have a Plan B? Internships are only offered to high school seniors and you just turned sixteen recently. That tells me you have at least two more years of high school, am I correct?” 

 

Bree cocked her head to one side and appeared to be deep in thought. “Hmmm, a plan B you say, Taylor? Well, if Daddy B were straight and we weren’t so closely related, I could offer sexual favors to get my foot in the door at Kinnetik. As you know, he’s a total hottie but, the incest thing kinda squicks me out and there are laws in every state that frown on it.

 

Nepotism, on the other hand, is unethical but it gets a pass in my book. I look at it this way, what’s the use of having family in high places if they can’t give you a leg up? I’m just saying. But no, neither of those two options are my style.

 

So, it’s a good thing I won’t need a Plan B or C because guess what? I’m a senior so GOTCHA! Tony and Lani allowed me to skip eighth grade and all I need in order to graduate is one measly credit. That means I’m able to do half days at school and work part-time at Kinnetik. Go me! I could have gone to summer school but I didn’t want to miss out on sashaying down the aisle in a cap and gown with all my peers.”

 

“Well, as Emmy Lou would say if he were here, ‘Just stick me with a fork ‘cause I’m done!’ Young lady, I think we might need to limit your association with Sunshine and his BFF because obviously, they’re a bad influence on you. It’s plain to see that you’re becoming as bratty as they are. Why don’t you contact Cynthia asap and let her help you with the intern application process? Unlike you, I have no problem with a little nepotism. She’ll probably make you her assistant and turn you into her Mini-Me. God help us all.”

 

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

I thought this was going to be my final chapter so that I could put this puppy to bed. But, my muse has told me to just sit back, shut up, and let her drive. So if you guys are still enjoying this story, I have a couple more chapters to unload before I wrap up this tale.

Thanks for reading, commenting, and the lovely reviews.