Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Snips, snails, and puppy tails…

 

Justin and Brian were the making out when Bree tapped on the door to their bedroom. “Daddy B, I know it is kind of late for chit chat but, I really need to talk to you guys before you get busy in here.”

 

Bree crawled into the bed and insinuated herself on a pillow between the two men.

 

 “I’m your favorite daughter and you’ll always love me no matter what, right? Well, there’s a situation that I’ve been dealing with that’s starting to stress me out and I think I need to tell both of you about it. Is it okay if we just cuddle for a bit?”

 

Justin pulled the sheet up over his almost naked body. “Uh Bree, you might want to rephrase that question. In Brian’s world, “cuddle” is an ugly four letter word.”

 

“Are you kidding me, Papa J? Allow me to be the first to inform you that you guys cuddle all the time.”

 

“Okaaaay children, let’s just agree to disagree on that debatable topic for now. So, what’s on your mind, Bree’ahna?”

 

“Ok Daddy B, first of all, I want you to know that I’m sorry for not trusting you enough to have mentioned this to you sooner. So, my bad.”

 

“Bree, don’t worry about that. Just spit it out because you’re scaring Brian.” Justin touched the girl’s trembling hand and whispered gently in her ear.

 

“Yes, I’m trying to gather my thoughts, Taylor. See, I just don’t know how this happened because I was careful and thought I was being totally responsible, I swear. At first, I was scared and confused and really worried but now that I’ve spoken to my doctor, it doesn’t seem so awful. I know I can do this.

 

Bree placed an ultrasound photo in Brian’s numb hand. “I wanted you guys to know that I’m having twin boys and they are doing fine. I thought it would be great if I could give them your middle names. Baby A will be named Aiden and Baby B is going to be called Cole. Isn’t that cool?

 

Now, I know you’re both thinking that I’m too young to even think about raising babies but it takes a village, you know? I have you Daddy B, Papa J, my mom and dad, Aunty Em, Debbie, and the Munchers. I am keeping both babies because it’s not right to break up a matched set. They’re due late spring, I think.”

 

Brian stared at Justin with an expression of absolute confusion and panic in his round eyes. He turned red, then white, then a noxious shade of green. “Let me up out of this bed, Sunshine. I think I’m going to be sick.” Brian stumbled and nearly lost his footing as he made a beeline to the bathroom.

 

“I need my inhaler,” Justin clutched his throat and gasped brokenly. “I feel like I’m choking and I can’t breathe.”

 

Bree opened the nightstand drawer on Justin’s side of the bed. “Here you go, Papa J.” She pumped the inhaler into his gaping mouth. “I gave you two puffs so you should feel okay in a moment. I’m going to check on poor Daddy B and bring him a cool cloth and some bottled water.

 

‘I’ll be back in a flash, Taylor.” The teen patted Justin’s head and gave him a gentle smile. “I never knew that men are such drama queens. When I told my dad Tony about the babies, he was so excited that fainted on the floor. Can you believe that?”

 

Bree swiveled her slim hips all the way to the fridge while belting out a medley of Madonna’s hits.

 

“Brian, please look at me! It’s okay, really, you’re okay. Listen to me, are you awake?”

 

“Sunshine, what the hell. Why…what… did you just slap me?”

 

“I’m sorry but you were screaming you’re head off and thrashing all over the bed. I’m here Bri, and it was only a dream. Do you want to talk about it?” Justin reached out to wipe the clammy sweat from his partner’s furrowed brow.

 

“Are you insane, Justin? It’s not okay, it’s absolutely horrible. Get up and get dressed.” Brian scrambled up from the bed and threw on his jeans and a wife beater. “Go to Daphne’s room and wake up your daughter. I don’t think I can look at that girl right now. Oh my god, my life is flashing before my eyes. I need a Beam or two. no, just pour me the entire bottle.”

 

Justin stretched his pale body and snuggled back under the sheet. “You can’t be serious, nobody needs hard liquor before breakfast. It’s really too early for you to be queening out, Bri. I’m exhausted and I need coffee before I can think about moving. Why don’t you come back to bed so that I can help you forget about that silly dream?”

 

“Zip it, Sunshine. What I just experienced was so not just a dream. On the Richter scale of nightmares, it was a nine point nine. I can still feel my heart pounding in my chest.” Brian slipped his feet into his boots and ran a hand through his tousled hair. He scooped up Justin’s wrinkled cargo pants and tee shirt from the floor and flung the clothing on the bed.

 

“Justin, why are you still lying there naked? Get dressed now! I’ll meet you and Bree’ahna outside in the jeep because we need to get to Toyland asap. What time does that store open?”

 

“They open at 10 a.m. but why in the world are we going back there? We were just there yesterday and the clerk told you to check back later on in the week for the items you ordered. Anyway, that place isn’t exactly appropriate for a sixteen-year-old girl. Why don’t we just take Bree to the mall later? You said you were taking the day off so that we could hang out together.”

 

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and rolled his eyes at the youth. “Excuse me, but did you say something about inappropriate? I’ll tell you what is inappropriate, Justin. Having twin grandsons with our middle names is inappropriate.” Brian was nearly shouting as he paced in front of the bed.

 

Do I look like grandfather material? I will not be that guy. I’m only thirty-two years old, for Christ’s sake! Somebody just shoot me now before I end up as the laughing stock of Liberty Avenue.” He moaned piteously, “Oh god, I feel sick to my stomach.”

 

Listen to me, Sunshine. Are you listening?

 

Justin nodded, pulled up his pants, and walked slowly but carefully to the bedroom door.

 

“We are going to Toyland and taking Bree’ahna along in order to get her fitted for a chastity belt. Then we are grounding her until she is twenty-five. If you don’t back me up on this Sunshine, I will not put out for a month so don’t test me. Now, I want you and the Karate Kid in the jeep in five minutes. End of discussion.”

 

Justin ran down the hall to Daphne’s room and banged on the door until Bree appeared yawning and rubbing her bleary eyes. “Bree you’ve got to get up and throw on something. Your Daddy B has lost his mind and you’re not going to believe what is going on in his head.”

 

When the teen was sufficiently covered, Justin grabbed her by the hand and towed the groggy girl out to the idling vehicle.

 

“But I’m sooooooo exhausted, Taylor. I don’t feel like going to the store to shop for toys. Daphne and I didn’t doze off until after three this morning. Then, her alarm clock went off at seven and the stupid thing crows like a rooster. Listen, you have my permission to take Daddy B back to bed and de-stress him. Then we will all feel much better. Okay?”

 

“Well, it’s about time. Would you two please get into the car? Justin, you drive because thanks to my darling offspring, my nerves are shot.”

 

“Seriously, Mr. Kinney? Your subconscious does a number on you while you’re sleeping, and now I’ve been demoted to red-headed stepchild status? Taylor told me what you’re spazzing out about. I can’t believe you dragged us out of bed because you want to explore birth control options for me. Why don’t you just get me spayed at that 24-hour vet hospital on the corner?” Bree’s eyes were spitting fire and her delicate jaw was clenched.

 

“Bree, be nice. Brian is feeling kinda shell-shocked right now so why don’t you sit here in the back seat and try not to poke the bear.”

 

Brian continued mumbling under his breath, “Gus will not become an uncle before he is in preschool. Not gonna happen.” His hands shook as he attempted to light a cigarette.

 

“Okay Brian, time out. How about we call a truce so we can parlay for a bit. This may come as a shock to you but I knew what condoms were used for long before I saw them scattered all over your loft like confetti. I dated a quarterback my entire freshman year. We learned a lot about each other but I was always careful to protect myself. Do you feel me?”

 

Bree caught Brian’s eye in the rearview mirror, smiled, and rolled her lips into her lush mouth.

 

“Justin, look at her. Did you see that? That tech at the DNA lab was spot on because I couldn’t deny paternity if my life depended on it. Honeycutt laughed like a loon when I heard him tell Debbie that I spit the girl out.”

 

“Yes, Bri. I have told you more than once that Bree is your female Mini-Me. I knew you weren’t listening.”

 

“The point I’m trying to make is I wouldn’t be so stressed if she were as homely as a mud fence. But no, with that hair, face, and body, she’s the total Kinney package. This girl rolled out of bed five minutes ago but she’s runway model ready. I almost wish she wanted to be a lesbian. I’m going to have to buy a shotgun and carry it around 24/7.”

 

Justin placed his hands on Brian’s distraught face and kissed him gently. “You hate guns so just buy her a bodyguard. Bri, Bree is nobody’s fool. I’m sure she knows how to take care of herself.”

 

“Uh hello. I’m sitting here and I can hear every word that is coming out of your mouths. I don’t appreciate being discussed as if I were invisible even if what you guys are saying is sort of a compliment.”

 

“Bree forgive us for offending you but Brian is in protector mode. He is still adjusting to the reality that you’re his flesh and blood so he can’t help feeling stressed and territorial.”

 

Bree twisted the mass of wavy auburn ringlets into a loose knot on top of her head. “Brian, do you think that I’m too stupid to take care of me? A baby is not the worst thing I could acquire if I don’t take proper precautions. Listen up guys, I like kids and babies just as much as the next person. But, a kid is not on my to-do list right now. I’m too busy being spoiled silly by the two of you and I like my life the way it is. It will be years before I entertain the thought of allowing a rug rat to cramp my style.

 

I hope you don’t think I’m judging you and my mom, I would never. But I am here because the two of you were not careful and I am so grateful that you guys messed up. However, I don’t intend to see history repeat itself, thank you very much.”

 

“See Bri, your daughter really does have her head on straight. So why don’t you calm down and just breathe?” Justin smoothed Brian’s hair into a semblance of his usual intentional state of disorder.

“Daddy B, I’ll have you know that I have a ten-year agenda. When I told your Pittsburg clan that they would get sick of seeing my face, I meant it. I hope you’ll be okay with my decision to stay awhile. After I graduate college, you can make Cynthia a partner and hire me to replace her. Then when I’m 26 or 27 you can throw me a huge wedding. You and my dad Tony can walk me down the aisle and give me away. Maybe a year later I will present you with those twin boys you were babbling about. O ye of little faith, rest your nerves. I got this!”

 

“Papa J, is that your belly rumbling? I can relate because I’m starving too. Please drive us to the diner so I can dive into one of those Pink Plat Specials you told me about. I’m ordering extra hash browns and double bacon with my meal.Yum.”

 

Bree leaned over the front seat and added in a stage whisper, “Hey Taylor, the extra is for your partner to share with me because then he’ll be able to save face.”

 

“When did you learn about the carbs don’t count if they come from someone else’s plate rule, Bree?”

 

Justin giggled and squirmed when Brian poked him in the hip.

 

“I just feel soooo sorry for poor Daddy B. There, there, there, you have my sympathy because I can only imagine how boring dry toast, egg whites, and black coffee does get to be day after day.”

 

Brian pretended to ignore the jokes and adjusted the radio station. Bree grabbed his hand, “No, leave it! That’s my jam. You gotta love Madonna! The girl began to belt out lyrics in a smooth contralto, “Like a virgin, Hey! Touched for the very…”

 

Brian’s breath hitched in his throat, “Justin, I can’t…”

 

“Bree, please don’t. I almost had Brian talked down from the ledge so continue to work with me, please.”

 

“Sorry Papa J, I sing when I’m happy and I can’t help it. I’m such a totally lucky girl to have two of the hottest dads on the east coast. By the way Taylor, I want you to call Daphne and let her know we’re going to the mall when she knocks off this afternoon. I want her to help me pick out a power suit for Take Your Kid To Work Day At Kinnetik!

 

When will we get to the diner?”

 

Bree reached over the seat to pinch Justin’s pale cheek and drop a kiss on Brian’s head.

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

When I decided to use part of the line “Thursday’s child has far to go…” from the Mother Goose rhyme as the title for my story, I had no idea that the legendary Eartha Kitt: actress, singer, dancer…and the slinkiest Cat Woman ever… penned her first autobiography and recorded a song both entitled Thursday’s Child.

 This year will be the 10Th anniversary of Ms. Kitt’s passing. (January 17, 1927 – December 25, 2008). She was 81 years young and still a purring sex kitten. We miss you, Eartha. RIP

 

Thanks for all the reviews, likes, and encouragement.