Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Free-for-alls and family, oh my!

 

Brian pulled into a space directly in front of the Liberty Avenue gym. “I won’t be long, but you three can come in and hang out until I’m done.”

 

“We’re coming in, of course. Bree and I want to ogle every single hot sweaty guy in this joint. Wall to wall eye candy, I love it!” Daphne leered and Bree bobbed her head frantically.

 

“Sunshine, your fag hag is such a freak and a girl after my own heart. Be right back.” Brian sauntered away toward the open office door.

 

“Daph, you do remember that this is a gay gym? If you and Bree were tossing flaming barbells in the air while running naked on the treadmill, believe me, most of these guys wouldn’t miss a rep during their exercise routines.”

 

“Ouch! Justin, that was way harsh. Take it back before I tell Bree all about your most embarrassing moments over the last fifteen years.”

 

“The two of you are totally hilarious,” Bree settled her slim frame on a bench and began to adjust the weights and pulleys on the machine. “You guys rag on each like brother and sister. You feel like spotting for me, Taylor? This is one of my favorite machines.”

 

“Sure, no problem but, please be careful, Bree. Brian will kill me if you hurt yourself.”

 

“Chillax Cinderfella, I got this and I’m way stronger than I look. My dad and I worked out at the gym on a regular basis before I left home.”

 

Daphne caught Justin’s eye and tilted her head toward a guy three feet away with fists the size of an Easter ham planted on his hips.

 

The man glowered at the trio and cleared his throat abruptly. “The last time I checked, this place was not a playground for children or babies. You three need to run along to the park where there are plenty of swings and monkey bars for all the kiddies. I’m running late and need to get my workout in.”

 

“Hey, you don’t have to be so rude. An excuse me, or a simple please goes a long way. Besides, we were here first.” Daphne sniffed and turned her back on the hulk-like creature.

 

 “Kids these days are so disrespectful and I don’t have time for it.” He pushed Justin aside, lifted Bree off the bench, and tossed the girl over his massive shoulders.

 

“Oh no, you didn’t put your hairy meat hooks on me! You don’t even know me like that!” Bree shrieked into the man’s ear. With no warning whatsoever, she twisted her body and wrapped her strong slim legs around her molester’s beefy neck. In a move to fast for the eye to follow, Bree flipped the man head over heels to the floor.

 

“You skinny little bitch! Don’t think I won’t snap your scrawny pencil neck before I crush you like a bug!” He growled, leaped to his feet, and lunged toward the girl. Justin and Daphne jumped on the man’s broad back just as Bree delivered a double kick to the man’s midsection. The behemoth dusted the floor again with a resounding thud.

 

Brian and the owner rushed over to separate the brawlers. “Justin, Bree, Daphne…what the hell…?”

 

Several spectators left various pieces of equipment to get a closer look. A few gawkers were pointing, rolling all over the floor, and laughing their heads off.

 

“Bri, Daphne and I didn’t start this but, Bree finished it. The overgrown bully wallowing on the floor will think twice about assaulting people from now on.”

 

“Kinney, you need to teach your twink and baby fag hags how to behave or at least keep them on a leash before somebody hurts them.” The stunned blond brute gasped and wheezed.

 

Brian leaned down into the guy’s personal space. “So, let me get this straight. Moments ago you assaulted, bullied, threatened, and cussed out my under-aged daughter, my partner, and his friend. Maybe, I should be the one to teach you some manners instead. Oh no, looks like I’m too late because you just got your ass handed to you by three kids who are only a third of your size.”

 

Brian glared down at the hulking form on the mat then met the eyes of his scowling offspring, his pissed off partner, and said partner’s indignant BFF.

 

Bree shrugged, “Brian, we were minding our own business when this juiced up fool lost his entire mind and tried us!”

 

Brian tried to look stern and disapproving but inside he was cracking up. “I should have known better than to think I can bring either of you three yahoos anywhere. Bree, that guy is roughly the size of Mt. Rushmore, do you mind telling me how you were able to take him down?”

 

“No problem Daddy B, I earned a black belt in karate when I was thirteen because my dad wanted me to be able to look after myself. Back home in LA, I work at a neighborhood community center where I offer self-defense classes for women and young people. The first thing I teach my students about an opponent is this: size doesn’t matter because “the bigger they are, the harder they fall.”

 

The gym was buzzing like a beehive: ‘Did she say, Daddy? How can that girl be Kinney’s daughter? How old is Kinney anyway? Did he say those three are his kids? I think I heard him say they were his chicks and his partner?’

 

Brian sighed and herded his charges toward the exit. “Let’s get you thugs out of here and back to the loft before all of you end up in juvenile hall tonight. First the family and now the gym, I can’t deal with all this idiocy. I wonder how long before the whole of Liberty Ave knows my business?

 

This incident will probably be on the front page of OUT before this day is over because the fags in this burgh can’t hold their own water. Who needs a telephone or a telegraph when you can just tell a queen? We’ll probably make the news at eleven. Move it, all of you. I have work to catch up on.”

 

 

Bree was fascinated by the loft. “I love what you’ve done with your place, Daddy B. It’s like a high-class lounge with pretty white and chrome furniture and stainless steel appliances. The high ceilings and the open floor plan is everything. Ohhhh, and this sofa is like butter.”

 

Justin hid his face in his hands. “My mom said the loft looked like a fuck pad the first time she saw this place. I can’t help but blush when I remember those words coming out of her prim and proper uber WASP-y mouth. Speaking of which, I need to show my face before she disowns me.”   

 

“Give Mother Taylor a break, Sunshine. She has come a long way.” Brian opened his laptop and began tapping on the keyboard.

 

“Justin, we need some snacks, would you and Bree…never mind, she is out like a light.” Daphne placed a throw over the slumbering teen. ”We’ll be back in a bit, Brian. Hey, do you know if that corner store sells cookie dough ice cream?”

 

Daphne yanked Justin through the loft’s door and into the elevator. “We need to talk right now because I need an explanation and a lot of clarification from you. What’s up with all the crap you were telling the gang about Hollywood not being all that? We both know that other than missing a certain someone, you were having the time of your life. So, start spilling!”

 

“Daph, I have been feeling like such a failure and I didn’t want any of the family including Brian to see how disappointed I really am. They would have babied and pitied me until I felt like screaming.  

 

Brian would have realized I only came back home because everything fell through for me out there. I told him several weeks ago that the project was extended again and looking back, that is around the time he went MIA on me. Maybe he thought I wasn’t ever coming back to the Pitts and he was working on phasing me out of his life. Could it be he was backing off to give me the chance to not have to make the choice of him over Hollywood?

 

Brian would never hold me back even if he wanted to. He told me I could move back in with him after I got back from the first meeting in Hollywood. Remember? But when I told him Brett said we had the green light for the movie deal and they wanted me as an assistant consultant, Brian only encouraged me and made me feel like a fool for hesitating. He gave me the understanding that he would be there when I returned. But what if he really didn’t mean it. What if he was hurt about the choice I made?”

 

Justin, you know that scenario wouldn’t have made a difference. Brian would have queened out and lost his mind if you had passed up that golden, no platinum opportunity like the one that fell in your lap just to stay with him. He would have hogtied you and thrown you on the plane while you were kicking and screaming.

 

But Daph, I feel so aimless and adrift because my life has taken two steps forward and twenty-two steps back. All my hopes and expectations have gone up in smoke and I’m right back where I was six months ago. An underemployed, college dropout, ex-pole dancing, bashed in the head with a gimpy hand, twink.

 

“Stop tearing yourself down like that because you are so much more. You just need to get your head back in the game. Let’s put our heads together and come up with a plan B and a few options to help you get back on track. What are you thinking about doing now that you’re back here?

 

There is nothing stopping you from going back to school to complete your degree. You told me you were able to save loads of cash because you had literally no expenses. Go back to the Art Institute and shove your six months job experience from working on a motion picture in their faces. Or register for Mellon. You are a hot commodity right not and don’t even realize it.”

 

“Yeah, I thought about that. Because there is no way I feel up to going back to the diner. I do have decent money saved and it will definitely go further here than if I tried to stay in LA until a new gig turned up. The cost of living there is ridiculous I would really like to get back to working on my art.”

 

There you go, Jus! Surely Lindsay and Sidney Bloom know people in the industry. Maybe they can hook you up with an agent. Or you can apply for a position at Kinnetik’s art department. Brian is always raving about how incompetent some of his people are. You have helped him out so many times when a fresh eye was needed to tweak a project.

 

“I was even thinking about investing some cash into the comic. Ted told Michael he is seeing some fantastic numbers. Maybe we can consider producing some collectibles, put out a special edition hardback graphic novel, do some Rage socks and screen print tees. Hey, I’m feeling more positive already.”

 

Justin scooped Daphne up as she giggled and squealed. “Justin, you’re insane. Put me down before you drop me on my head.

 

Listen, if you want to keep your real feelings about returning home between the two us that is fine with me. But just keep in mind that the family will love and support you even if you sell aluminum cans for a living. Just try to not allow yourself to become overwhelmed because of the sudden changes in your life.

 

“You sound like Bree when she was giving me a pep talk on the plane. The two of you reminded me of why they gave Hollywood the nickname of La La Land. It’s because the place is not the real. Like I told the gang, it’s a make-believe, fantasy world. The entire city is like a giant theme park filled with fake people, places, and things. But it’s exciting and crazy and colorful and the energy is off the charts.”

 

“Yeah, and the sun is always shining because it never rains in Southern California, right? Remember how we use to love that song? You know, I saw you flinch when Debbie said you were back home where you belong. I have a question, if that Brett guy had asked you to follow him would you have gone, Justin?”

 

I’m not sure, Daph. See, I spent an entire day looking for a new project to work on after Brett made his announcement. The night before I left, I went to a party where Connor James told me that Rage The Movie was like the South and would not rise again so I shouldn’t hold my breath in the hopes that anything will change.

 

 And that’s part of the reason why I’m feeling down. I’m drowning in a guilt spiral. I want to be able to say that I would have turned Brett down in a heartbeat. But I know that I would have to talk to Brian first and he would have never asked me to stay even if he wanted me to. He would have bought me a brand new designer luggage, given me a pat on the head, and told me to not forget to write.

 

Do you think I should I come clean with Brian?”

 

“That’s completely up to you, my friend. Brian is sharp and probably realized something was up because you weren’t exactly your usual sunshiny self. I think he’d appreciate knowing the truth and you know he wouldn’t judge you.”

 

One hour and fifteen minutes later…

Bree stretched her long limbs and looked around the loft until she spied Brian at his desk examining some boards.There’s nothing like a little power nap. Where is everybody?”

 

Brian snorted, “Oh, look who’s back among the living. Power nap, really? Please, you’ve been calling the hogs and sawing wood for the past fifty-five minutes.”

 

Bree sniffed and raised her nose in the air. “First of all, I have no idea what you are talking about, Father. Secondly, I’ll have you know I am a freaking little flower and I most certainly do not ever snore.”

 

“Riiiiight. Anyway, the Bobbsey Twins went out for junk food and they should have been there and back within thirty minutes.”

 

“I hope they bring back some chocolate. Uh, Daddy B, where’s the restroom? There’s probably drool on my face that you’re too polite to tell me about and I already know my hair looks like a hot mess.”

 

“Go up the stairs and hang a left, you can’t miss it. I was re-arranging my closet so ignore the mess on the floor and the bed. I’ve got to make space for my Prada Summer Collection that I’m expecting to arrive during the week. Clothes make the man so, out with the old and in with the new. I’ve been trying to teach Sunshine that mantra of mine for years. I would probably have to set him on fire to get him out of those cargo pants and graphic tees.”

 

Bree twisted her hair up into a knot on top of her head, splashed some water on her face, and exited the bathroom.

 

“I’m presentable again. If you want, I can help you bag up this stuff on the floor.”

 

Thanks for offering. My OCD is starting kick in so that would be great. Let me save these changes on the stuff I’m working on and I’ll be right there.

 

“Wow! Your closet has got some nice threads hanging out in here, Daddy B. I would definitely rock this shirt at a party.” Bree held up a black sleeveless top with silver buckles.

 

“Oh, that old thing? I only wear it when I don’t care how I look! Just joking. It’s one of my favorites and your Papa J loves it on me. If you see anything else you like, help yourself.”

 

“Ooooh, are you serious?! It’s like a designer consignment shop in here. I think I love you.”

 

Thirty minutes later…

Brian dragged a sack of items to be donated to the front door and grabbed two bottles of water from the fridge. He turned when the loft’s door began to slide open.

 

“You two twats took long enough. Did you have to milk the cow and churn the cream with your very own hands in order to produce that rocky road chunky dough crap disguised as ice cream?”

 

“Briiiiaaaannn, it's us. We all heard about what happened from Hunter. We were just leaving Ma’s place when he told us you and Boy Wonder got into a fist fight at the gym because of that girl. I had a feeling in my gut telling me that she would make trouble for you. We hurried over to make sure you were okay.”

 

“Mikey, what part of use the key for emergencies only did you not understand? It’s my fault and I have only myself to blame for not getting it back from you.”

 

Brian folded his arms across his chest and leaned on the counter as he watched the rest of his ‘family’ file into the loft.

 

“Surprise, surprise, surprise. Yay me! The gang’s all here and I can’t believe my eyes. If I knew you were coming I would have prepared some finger foods. So, why don’t you all turn around, leave, and call first next time.”

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

"It Never Rains In Southern California" - Albert Hammond (1972)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXkk65PdKyM

It Never Rains In Southern California - Tony Toni Tone(1990) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyonZcfaTM.

I have always enjoyed both versions of the song.

thanks for reading and a appreciate the comments and reviews.